As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Darkest Dungeon] Hellboy's art, Lovecraft's lugubriousness, XCOM's tactical nut shots...

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I almost want to build a joke team compromised entirely of men at arms with dodge and + speed trinkets. They'll camp and all tell each other tactics to each give the group a +10 dodge buff. Then they'll all just activate riposte and shout the +dodge group buff at each other. A bunch of old men dodging everything slapping everyone who dares to attack them.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    Things are starting to fall into place 20ish ruins in. I honestly think I was just getting screwed with the class/skill xombos I was getting in my recruits. No vestals till six runs, only tanks crit down and dead.

Once I got a tank to live and recruited a Jester and Vestal things got drastically easier. The jester in particular has been a boss starting up front for Finale.

No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I almost want to build a joke team compromised entirely of men at arms with dodge and + speed trinkets. They'll camp and all tell each other tactics to each give the group a +10 dodge buff. Then they'll all just activate riposte and shout the +dodge group buff at each other. A bunch of old men dodging everything slapping everyone who dares to attack them.

Tried that. Needs mad +dmg +acc buffs to work.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I need this game to be finished and out on Vita already

• Options

Seriously. I'm worried about burning out on it, but I'm soooo glad it's coming to Vita.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I'm hearing mutterings about playstation release in 2016. I am not really pleased about that.

• Options

I'm hearing mutterings about playstation release in 2016. I am not really pleased about that.

Unless Curve has been quietly tinkering away on it in the background, I'd be really surprised (and thrilled!) to see it on Vita in 2015.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Exarch wrote: »
    Things are starting to fall into place 20ish ruins in. I honestly think I was just getting screwed with the class/skill xombos I was getting in my recruits. No vestals till six runs, only tanks crit down and dead.

Once I got a tank to live and recruited a Jester and Vestal things got drastically easier. The jester in particular has been a boss starting up front for Finale.

That's interesting. I've found the Jesters I've tried to be not useful at all. Moving him around through the ranks just seems to screw up my other characters. Doesn't seem to be worth it at all for the skills he's given.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jester I've never gotten to work, but I haven't tried a huge amount. Everything else I think I was just missing the point on. I don't use a Man At Arms for instance, but I'm pretty sure I see how it could be useful.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    jester used to be useful, because you just have him sit in the backline spamming the song buff while frontliners devastated the entire enemy team

idk if you can still do that tho

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    jester used to be useful, because you just have him sit in the backline spamming the song buff while frontliners devastated the entire enemy team

idk if you can still do that tho

Seems like such a small buff to be that impactful.

I'd much rather have something like a Gravedigger doing solid damage and blight / bleed.

• Options
    The few times I've used Jester, my team has always left the dungeon with zero stress. I just spam the battle ballad and anti-stress songs. I only use finale to get to the 4th row if my team gets scrambled.

I've been out of the loop on balancing, so maybe he used to be better.

The +speed on the battle ballad buff seems useful for maintaining priority. The +crit should help crit builds.

My overall opinion of him is that he's bad out of the box and when stuffed into random teams, but can become a key player when leveled and placed in a team that can take full advantage of his buffs.

In my game, I've been having fun with my plague Dr ever since I found her that orange +40% stun bottle. Stuns for days.

I'm gonna have her poke everything in the dungeons to try and collect the + speed quirks.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Honestly the only characters I don't like taking out with me right now are Jesters and Arbalest. I've found a solid use or position in the formation for all the others.

I think the Arbalest is just me having a trouble with the mark mechanic.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    They become quite remarkable once you figure them out. I've had good times with mine once I figured them out.

• Options
    You don't really need to utilize the mark mechanic with the arbalest.

Her damage is respectable enough, and she can improve survivability by debuffing the rear enemies with suppressing fire and buffing the heals from your main healer.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Still in the early stages of experimenting with team combos, but last night was the first time I ran a crew where everyone could mark a target and everyone could hammer the hell out of a marked target.

Two Bounty Hunters, an Arbalest, and a Hound Master and my lord how the money rolled in.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Full release date is Jan 19th 2016. Also, the backer designed class is called the Abomination ... curiouser and curiouser.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    I had fun mixing up movement abilities.

Slot3: very fast grave robber.
    Slot2: slow crusader
    Slot1: Faster crusader

The grave robber can lunge to hit most enemies for massive damage and high crit rate. This moves her forward 2 to slot 1.

Faster crusader can holy Lance forward to hit the enemy rear lines with enhanced crit and bonus damage to unholy. Grave robber gets pushed to slot 2.

Slow crusader also holy lances towards the squishy rear targets. Grave robber gets pushed back to her starting position at slot 3.

Repeat.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Woah. People go on runs without full time healer? Does that work?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Generally the idea is to try and murder or incapacitate as much of the enemy force as possible before they can inflict any damage/stress.

It helps to have some heals to get people off of death's door.

In the judge's mark team, the hound master can self heal and the arbalest can heal herself and the bounty hunters if needed. I don't know if the judge used those skills, but I probably would have freed up slots for them.

I am really fond of my Quickdraw trinket. It lets me set all sorts of stuff up before the enemy can act.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

It's pretty doable, honestly, provided you're relying on high-speed characters, camping for emergency stuff, and being willing to hit the bail-out button.

Plus, as General Armchair pointed out, you can now run a "blow guys up," team with a bunch of self-patch up and, if you have an Arbalest, one of the game's better single-target heals as an option for turns when you don't need to do damage.

• Options

Not only does it work, the turn you didn't waste with a heal means you are steamrollin' these punks.

I... don't think I'd try it without ++trinkets, though. It's gotten a lot harder since launch (and harder than it is now, but it's mellowed a bit), and the early game is not what it was.

Experimenting (and getting killed for your trouble) is an important part of the Roguelike experience! Just... y'know... maybe don't experiment with your favorite hero.

• Options
    In the judge's mark team, the hound master can self heal and the arbalest can heal herself and the bounty hunters if needed. I don't know if the judge used those skills, but I probably would have freed up slots for them.

If memory serves, the Arbalest can't self heal (and is your only can't-heal worry with those four) but, yes, that was the loadout.

And these were a mix of new recruits and level 1s on a 90% explore run. Not exactly playing with fire.

• Options
    The arbalest can heal herself but can't heal anyone in the last row. That's normally her.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    So.... thoughts on what the abomination is going to be? Perhaps a Frankenstein's monster sort of thing... Large health pool, decent melee damage, maybe it doesn't take stress damage but lowers stress resist for teammates?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    So.... thoughts on what the abomination is going to be? Perhaps a Frankenstein's monster sort of thing... Large health pool, decent melee damage, maybe it doesn't take stress damage but lowers stress resist for teammates?

Doesn't take stress damage? 100% abomination team it would be!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The Judge wrote: »

If memory serves, the Arbalest can't self heal (and is your only can't-heal worry with those four) but, yes, that was the loadout.

And these were a mix of new recruits and level 1s on a 90% explore run. Not exactly playing with fire.

She can't heal position 4. So if you want her to self-heal, you need to move her forward to position 3.

edit:
    I'm a slowpoke. Tube beat me to it.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    If I had my guess,
    logo.jpg

• Options
    I think it'll be something weird. They stated that it's different to everything else, and the front-line tank role is pretty well filled already. I'd think more Jester than anything else

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    It's a mime. And when they die they reset everyone's stress to zero.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    After not playing for maybe 5 months I got the itch and decided not to wait for full release to continue playing, like I had originally intended. Just a couple questions though.

My save was gone. Is this something that happened to everyone? I was planning on just starting over again anyways, but just curious if there was a game-wide save wipe?

I haven't paid any attention to how close to release they are, and if there are many planned changes, so just wondering if now is a better time to jump in with an expectation of not having to start over again?

• Options
    After not playing for maybe 5 months I got the itch and decided not to wait for full release to continue playing, like I had originally intended. Just a couple questions though.

My save was gone. Is this something that happened to everyone? I was planning on just starting over again anyways, but just curious if there was a game-wide save wipe?

I haven't paid any attention to how close to release they are, and if there are many planned changes, so just wondering if now is a better time to jump in with an expectation of not having to start over again?

None of the updates have deleted any of my saves so far. And the game is mostly done other than the end game area which won't be added until the launch and two classes, one coming in a November patch and another just after the launch. If you start now I'm pretty sure you can just continue playing the same save through all the future updates.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

None of the updates have deleted any of my saves so far. And the game is mostly done other than the end game area which won't be added until the launch and two classes, one coming in a November patch and another just after the launch. If you start now I'm pretty sure you can just continue playing the same save through all the future updates.

I could be remembering wrong but I think one of the larger updates - the corpse one? - did wipe saves, and the others haven't.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I could be remembering wrong but I think one of the larger updates - the corpse one? - did wipe saves, and the others haven't.

I've been playing from 31st of January (even before DD went on sale as an Early Access game) since I was a KS backer, and I still have my very first save intact.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I've been playing from 31st of January (even before DD went on sale as an Early Access game) since I was a KS backer, and I still have my very first save intact.

Then I'm probably remembering wrong. Like I said before, I've routinely blown my games up when new stuff came out.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    It's a mime. And when they die they reset everyone's stress to zero.

tumblr_mbpfihM8A31rcazq0o1_400.jpg

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The arbalest can heal herself but can't heal anyone in the last row. That's normally her.

I must have Missing The Blatantly Obvious as a negative quirk.

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I must have Missing The Blatantly Obvious as a negative quirk.

Not at all, it's not super easy to figure out. I thought she couldn't self heal for a while too.

• Options
    Um. I think I may have missed an important fact. Does the same buff stack round to round? Like, if I use the man at arms acc buff one round after the other will the companions have double the effect?

0_0

Do debuffs work this way too?

• Options
    Um. I think I may have missed an important fact. Does the same buff stack round to round? Like, if I use the man at arms acc buff one round after the other will the companions have double the effect?

0_0

Do debuffs work this way too?

Yes and yes, though they track duration individually so it's not like in some games where you can refresh the whole stack. It's especially handy with the Occultist damage debuff - you can get it to -120% which makes mewling kittens out of most enemies, though some bosses seem to still do a fair amount of damage.