As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    DO. WANT.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-could-get-vr-support-because-of-fan-feedback/
    Right after the E3 trailer came out there was a lot of people making that exact assumption, that ‘Oh yeah, this better be supporting VR right from the get go.’ It honestly wasn’t our plan," Jorg Neumann, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator, told AVSIM. "But we are listening, and we heard it, so we will try our darnedest to make it happen. Whether or not we’re going to pull it off for launch, we can’t commit to that at this point in time, but we are aware of the desire, and given that we genuinely want to make the sim that simmers want, we will try to prioritise that over other things."

RIP my fucking wallet if they make this happen

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yeah I have a rift, but if the VR is good in this I’ll pick up a higher res helmet.

I’ve got the hotas already so I just need them to accept me into the alpha please.

I’m wondering since all the geo data and real commercial flight data is pulled from Azure. Will the environment also use real weather data, it would be cool to fly during a storm that is really happening.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I've been holding out on VR but the new Steam Index sounds like VR has finally hit a point where it'll be worth investing in. MFS 2020 would definitely be a killer app for me and then I'd have the Index for other sims.

Now if only we could get Steel Battalion 2 as a stupidly high end HOTAS-VR game

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-could-get-vr-support-because-of-fan-feedback/
    Right after the E3 trailer came out there was a lot of people making that exact assumption, that ‘Oh yeah, this better be supporting VR right from the get go.’ It honestly wasn’t our plan," Jorg Neumann, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator, told AVSIM. "But we are listening, and we heard it, so we will try our darnedest to make it happen. Whether or not we’re going to pull it off for launch, we can’t commit to that at this point in time, but we are aware of the desire, and given that we genuinely want to make the sim that simmers want, we will try to prioritise that over other things."

RIP my fucking wallet if they make this happen

It's not hard to believe. WMR (the baked-in Windows 10 functionality for VR and stuff like HoloLens) has native Xbox game support, to no one's surprise. It would probably come to that first. I also assume this game will come out on Steam in some variety. SteamVR support for WMR devices (on top of the actual VR sets produced by Valve) has been good, so the reverse isn't hard to picture. That would be the next step, when it actually releases on Steam (after the initial PC launch, unless it's simultaneous, which seems less likely).

Having had a VR headset for almost two years now, I do think that the sit-down vehicular experience is the easiest for developers to get right. That being said, they need to get the game right. Then they can add VR. The "better support VR from the getgo" people can piss-off, we haven't had a Flight Simulator release for 14 years, no previous content can be carried over, and the design philosophy is shooting for incredibly detailed aircraft. If VR takes any from any of the content development time, it's too much, especially considering how many people actually own VR headsets. I'd welcome it afterwards though.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I've been holding out on VR but the new Steam Index sounds like VR has finally hit a point where it'll be worth investing in. MFS 2020 would definitely be a killer app for me and then I'd have the Index for other sims.

Now if only we could get Steel Battalion 2 as a stupidly high end HOTAS-VR game

Yes, but that would require people actually want to buy and play Steel Battalion.

(Yes, I'm sad about it too.)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I have a rift, but if the VR is good in this I’ll pick up a higher res helmet.

I’ve got the hotas already so I just need them to accept me into the alpha please.

I’m wondering since all the geo data and real commercial flight data is pulled from Azure. Will the environment also use real weather data, it would be cool to fly during a storm that is really happening.

Yes, they've confirmed you can use live weather data.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I mean 90% of the systems and content necessary for the world and weather stuff are already made, the game just needs to tap into it. The real meat of the work is aerodinamics and in game graphics

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I mean 90% of the systems and content necessary for the world and weather stuff are already made, the game just needs to tap into it. The real meat of the work is aerodinamics and in game graphics

I know they're not that comparable, but I'd love for the guys who do the weather effects in Forza Motorsport 7 at Turn 10 could get in non this. That sort of grey-over-green overcast in a flight sim? *chef kiss*

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I want Microsoft to license out the basic world, geography and weather system to other developers. I'd love to see some competition to DCS show up in the modern combat sim arena, but the barriers to entry are high. Being able to get a hold of a purpose built high altitude world and weather engine would be a huge starting point. That would let a developer focus on just implementing the jets and a "game" around them.

I'd also like a pony and a Porsche for Christmas.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I want Microsoft to license out the basic world, geography and weather system to other developers. I'd love to see some competition to DCS show up in the modern combat sim arena, but the barriers to entry are high. Being able to get a hold of a purpose built high altitude world and weather engine would be a huge starting point. That would let a developer focus on just implementing the jets and a "game" around them.

I'd also like a pony and a Porsche for Christmas.

If MFS 2020 does good numbers and is the promised land like it sounds like, I'm kinda hype to see MS throw the engine at a new Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator next. They've got the bucks and connections to make it happen and MCFS on that engine would be pretty damn mind blowing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

Hnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg, I need this in my veeeeiiiins.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    While we wait for the new Flight Simulator to get injected into our veins . . . has anyone seen THIS trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFp0yxdThF8

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And just like that we're in the Golden Age of flight sims.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay, anyone else bothered by the fact that the titlecard at the end lists the Roosevelt, Lincoln, and Washington, but all the deck crews' shirts were for the Stennis?

:D

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Okay, anyone else bothered by the fact that the titlecard at the end lists the Roosevelt, Lincoln, and Washington, but all the deck crews' shirts were for the Stennis?

Did anyone else even notice that, you NERD

:P

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Elvenshae wrote: »

No. But now I can't unsee it.

Edit: Dangit, now I need the F-14 and this.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    It took me ... rather longer than it usually does to tell that was in-engine stuff and not actual footage at first. Wow.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    It took me ... rather longer than it usually does to tell that was in-engine stuff and not actual footage at first. Wow.

Honestly, the main giveaway were the human animations. They looked a bit stiff, but they're also still a work in progress.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

It's going to get harder to tell the difference because they're also adding wingflex animations to the aircraft. So every time the airframe experiences high G's the wings will bend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGS4ml7axVk

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I'll be impressed when they get wing flutter in for the F-16. At high speeds, with certain load outs, the wings will actually "flap", or flutter. In RL I'm fairly certain they are taught to keep it to a minimum as its not great for the wings lifespan.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Planes don't fly so great without wings, I hear.

Except the A-10 which can fly with .05 of a wing and a strong headwind, or something.

• Options
    The F-15 can fly without a wing as well, proven by the Israeli air force. Above 200 knots the F-15 generates enough lift from it's body to keep it in the air.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'll be impressed when they get wing flutter in for the F-16. At high speeds, with certain load outs, the wings will actually "flap", or flutter. In RL I'm fairly certain they are taught to keep it to a minimum as its not great for the wings lifespan.

I'm wondering if it's in already, but you don't see much of it in the video because there are AMRAAMs on the wingtips. Apparently loading a heavier missile on the wingtips helps cut down on flutter (though it increases strain on the wing, so it's still killing the airframe slowly).

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Eagle Dynamics has put up their "DCS World: 2020 And Beyond" video.

Dammit Eagle Dynamics...it's too damned early to hit me in the emotional gut like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWN5R7tRMws

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Eagle Dynamics has put up their "DCS World: 2020 And Beyond" video.

Dammit Eagle Dynamics...it's too damned early to hit me in the emotional gut like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWN5R7tRMws

Dangit, now I want to watch this instead of working....

Edit: I should have said, "Talk to me Goose." instead. Missed my chance.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ZOOMMMMBIIIEEEEE....

(For a pop song lamenting the Irish Troubles and the military occupation before that, that's really damn good for a ultra-high-tech warfare sim.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Also: that's a Turkmen Air Force Mi-24, for whatever reason. Turkmenistan does operate it, but still, not usually who we think of.

• Options
    I'm really hoping they follow through on their promise of performance improvements this year. My biggest complaint with DCS right now is how badly it performs, especially in VR. I can't throw more hardware at it, I already have an ultra-premium top end machine. Flying things like the Viper and Hornet in VR is amazing but as soon as you get in to a busy server or area on the map the performance just plummets.

• Options
    Speaking of flying the Viper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEin9aOq1ck

Hearing the turbine spool down and then back up again is <3

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Does DCS have much in the way of single player content or is it mostly multiplayer?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Maratastik wrote: »
    Does DCS have much in the way of single player content or is it mostly multiplayer?

There are campaigns for their major modules, along with mission generators...so there's at least stuff available for us soloers.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I only play single player, which is just flying around and not crashing.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah, I play much, much more DCS singleplayer than multiplayer. But I also spend a lot of time doing training.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, I play much, much more DCS singleplayer than multiplayer. But I also spend a lot of time doing training.

I shamefully have to admit that although I own the Blackshark 2 module, I've mainly played the Courier mission where you have to pick up a package from a broken down truck, land on a boat, then return to base. The majority of my flights have only been in that mission, but I've had fun. Now that I've finally FINALLY completed that mission, I'm expanding into learning how to shoot the missiles. Ha ha ha.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options

I shamefully have to admit that although I own the Blackshark 2 module, I've mainly played the Courier mission where you have to pick up a package from a broken down truck, land on a boat, then return to base. The majority of my flights have only been in that mission, but I've had fun. Now that I've finally FINALLY completed that mission, I'm expanding into learning how to shoot the missiles. Ha ha ha.

99% of my DCS time has been spent flying the A-10C from airbase to airbase.

• Options
    Strangely I've spent almost no time in SP in DCS. I think it's because I got seriously in to flight siming with Falcon BMS multiplayer. I've never taken the time to sit down and figure out DCS single player.

• Options

99% of my DCS time has been spent flying the A-10C from airbase to airbase.

99% of my time is taking off in the F5, flying around the scenery, and then running out of fuel.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DCS is letting you try most of their modules for free from April 18-May 19th. The F-14B and AJS-37 Viggen are unfortunately not included, but there’s a whole pile of planes and maps that are.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The Hornet is probably still my favorite module right now. The Viper is my favorite jet of all time, but it's just very feature light right now compared to the Hornet. COVID-19 isn't helping ED's development pace.

If you're wanting to get deep in to a modern module the Hornet is definitely my recommendation to try out. The JF-17 is also very highly recommended but I don't have it...so I may take the opportunity to try the Jeff out during this period.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/ydp_1sXXqTI

And I can't even refuel in midair.