Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

• Options
    ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    I am super excited for the f-18. And the prospect of 2.5 being out when I can fly again is also very exciting.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thendash wrote: »
    I am super excited for the f-18. And the prospect of 2.5 being out when I can fly again is also very exciting.

I've been waiting for DCS World 2.x to drop before coming back for more helo action (I've also been sorely tempted to pick up that AV-6B module when I first learned about its existence when I went to the e-shop during Black Friday/Cyber Monday). Definitely looking forward to hopping back behind the stick(s).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    With a VKB MCG theoretically arriving some time within the next year, I decided to download DCS World and take the SU-25 for a spin. I downloaded an X55 profile for it, created a mission with no hostiles, and gave it a go.

I got off the ground okay, but after about 5 minutes in the air I decided to see if it would let you open the canopy while in flight.

It... did.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    So, speaking of DCS World, has anybody picked up the Normandy map? Is it worth the $45 asking price?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Do you own any WW2 fighters? It's a gorgeous map, but it's more about historical accuracy than being "fun". The Normandy area is really, really flat...it's a bunch of farm land. Being able to fly the channel is neat, and southern England is beautiful...so there is some interesting stuff. But having Normandy is about fighting a Bf-109 in your Spitfire over the channel, or covering ground units fighting in Normandy in a P-51, things like that. So whether it's worth 45 dollars depends on how much that experience is worth to you.

e: I should clarify I do have it. I fly the P-51 on it when I'm looking for my WW2 fix.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Do you own any WW2 fighters? It's a gorgeous map, but it's more about historical accuracy than being "fun". The Normandy area is really, really flat...it's a bunch of farm land. Being able to fly the channel is neat, and southern England is beautiful...so there is some interesting stuff. But having Normandy is about fighting a Bf-109 in your Spitfire over the channel, or covering ground units fighting in Normandy in a P-51, things like that. So whether it's worth 45 dollars depends on how much that experience is worth to you.

e: I should clarify I do have it. I fly the P-51 on it when I'm looking for my WW2 fix.

Hmm...I was kind of hoping of tearing around in an AV-8B (or, at the very least, a Ka-50). I can deal with things being real flat (I primarily cut my simulator teeth in the Desert Storm campaign of Jane's AH-64D Longbow), and am mostly after something kind of different from (and prettier than) what I already have on hand.

• Options
    Do you have NTTR? I think you would enjoy that more with the Harrier than you would Normandy. The terrain is more interesting, letting you do some of that fast jet pilot shit nap of the earth with the Harrier's night flying systems.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Do you have NTTR? I think you would enjoy that more with the Harrier than you would Normandy. The terrain is more interesting, letting you do some of that fast jet pilot shit nap of the earth with the Harrier's night flying systems.

I don't have it, no. Back when it was first came out, I was on the fence on picking it up. I can't quite remember why I passed on it, now that I'm thinking about it.

• Options
    Well then getting NTTR is definitely my recommendation for Harrier fun. Obviously it's your money, so if you really want Normandy go for it, it's a nice map.

• Options
    Isn't there a new map coming soon(tm)?

• Options
    Gave this another spin, in VR this time. I managed to take off, fly around the airport, and land without issue. Well, I touched down without issue, anyway. I was super squirrelly on the runway as I was braking, and felt like I was going to tip the plane over sideways. I did manage to stop and taxi off the runway, but when the tower told me to taxi to the parking area, I had no idea where that was, so I just steered for one of those big concrete expanses with lines all over them.

I don't know if the SU-25 has an ILS or not, I had to kind of eyeball my landing. I should probably watch some tutorials. :)

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Isn't there a new map coming soon(tm)?

I think that might be the Normandy map you're thinking of. Apparently, it's still in Early Access (kinda like the AV-8B)

• Options
    @Erlkönig No, I'm aware of Normandy and it is currently playable. I looked it up, I was thinking of the Strait of Hormuz theater coming with DCS 2.5

• Options
    @Erlkönig No, I'm aware of Normandy and it is currently playable. I looked it up, I was thinking of the Strait of Hormuz theater coming with DCS 2.5

Well, playable...but still early access.

But Strait of Hormuz...hmm...that could be pretty interesting. Just looking at the Google Earth 3D terrain, it looks like it'll be a decent place to putter around in a helicopter.

Also, done and done: NTTR boughten and installin'

• Options
    Straits of Hormuz will probably release around the same time as the F/A-18C. NTTR is to the A-10C as Straits is to the Hornet. They are basically being made in concert. Hopefully Straits doesn't have a three year delay like NTTR did (unlikely given that the screenshots of Straits already look really good and filled in).

• Options
    Well...now I'm pissed off: turns out my X-55 stick is dead. The throttle portion is fine...but the stick just refuses to be seen by any PC. All told, I think I have less than 20 hours using the thing.

• Options
    That sucks :( Try re-installing the drivers just to make sure something there didn't get corrupted? Does it just not show up at all, or does it show up as an Unknown Device in Device Manager?

• Options
    That sucks :( Try re-installing the drivers just to make sure something there didn't get corrupted? Does it just not show up at all, or does it show up as an Unknown Device in Device Manager?

Yeah, I tried reinstalling the drivers. And it doesn't show up in Device Manager at all (and there are three entries for the throttle). And, to make dang sure that it's with the stick, I tried it on three of my four systems (1 desktop, 1 laptop, and my Surface Book). As soon as I can find my jeweler's kit, I'll be unscrewing the thing and see if I can see any loose wires.

• Options
    I swear I had at least 30% more plane when I took off...

QA6vSQj.jpg

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    So, this is weird. I noticed that Windows 10's Defender Security Center had a little yellow ! on the taskbar icon, and saw that there was a device driver error. Turns out, there was something going on with the Xbox Wireless Adapter thingy and that Security Center could fix it...all it needed was a computer restart. After coming back from the restart, I noticed the X-55 stick was detected!

Everything looked all fine and dandy, so I fired up DCS World 2 to take a Su-33 out for a spin around Nevada. Managed to take off, do a half-circuit, and land before the device died again while taxiing. Going through the device troubleshooter the same way as last time isn't resolving this time, though...so...my poor hopes were expertly dashed!

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    If any of you ever want to fly in MP let me know. Flight sims are way more interesting with others, at least in my opinion. Almost all the flying I do these days is multiplayer.

• Options
    @Erlkönig A fairly common issue with the x-52 was the need to use a powered usb hub otherwise it would turn off randomly. So maybe give that a shot.

• Options
    If any of you ever want to fly in MP let me know. Flight sims are way more interesting with others, at least in my opinion. Almost all the flying I do these days is multiplayer.

well

how badly do you want to watch someone roll off the end of the runway on landing, snap a wing off while attempting to turn around, and catch both their engines on fire

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    @Erlkönig A fairly common issue with the x-52 was the need to use a powered usb hub otherwise it would turn off randomly. So maybe give that a shot.

I've tried powered USB 3.0 hubs and straight into my PC's front panel USB 3.0 ports

• Options
    Try a USB 2.0 port if you have one? Some older devices get really cranky about being in 3.0 ports even though everything is supposed to be compatible.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Try a USB 2.0 port if you have one? Some older devices get really cranky about being in 3.0 ports even though everything is supposed to be compatible.

Even though, previously, the stick was plugged in (and working fine) in the 3.0 ports (using the exact same USB hub as originally and the same motherboard for the direct plug in)?

I mean, it wouldn't be the weirdest thing that's happened to my computer and peripherals, just confusing. Let me see if there are any 2.0 ports on this thing...

EDIT - okay, not a single USB 2 port on my motherboard...but, on a lark, I noticed something: my monitor has USB 3.0 ports and figured I'd plug the stick in there. So far no error message and the stick is showing up in the "Devices and Printers" list. WTF...

EDIT2 - well, that was an exciting hour and a half... Back to erroring out. I'm almost positive that there's a loose cable inside, but I couldn't spot it when I cracked the thing open to take a look inside.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I do know my X-52 has a ton of problems with USB3.0. I had to disable a setting that I can't remember the name of in the BIOS to get it to even be recognized, but after that, it's worked fine. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: I think it was xHCI.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

QA6vSQj.jpg

I suppose you want the number for Sukhoi, huh?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

QA6vSQj.jpg

"Yes, I would like to register a complaint."

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

QA6vSQj.jpg

“Sir, how did you manage a four point landing in a craft with three landing gear?”

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

QA6vSQj.jpg

“Sir, how did you manage a four point landing in a craft with three landing gear?”

"No, you're not understanding me. I am very upset that I am still alive but still managed to spill my coffee. No, don't you switch over to Russian. I know sarcastic Russian when I hear it. Put me on with Mr. Sukhoi, I'll wait!"

• Options
    @Erlkönig out of warranty? Seems like it may be time to contact Saitek if not.

If it is out of warranty, that sucks :( Murphy's law of warranties. Soon after your warranty period ends, your shit will break...I guarantee it.

• Options

If it is out of warranty, that sucks :( Murphy's law of warranties. Soon after your warranty period ends, your shit will break...I guarantee it.

Massively out of warranty: I ordered the thing the moment they started taking preorders (and given that the X-55 has been discontinued for a while, it's a safe bet to say it's been well over a year since I've gotten the thing).

I'm thinking I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and swing for a Warthog for my next stick. I remember my old Thrustmaster FCS from the early 90s lasted us up until the time computers and graphics cards didn't have gameports in them anymore (the only maintenance it needed was replacing a spring that snapped).

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Massively out of warranty: I ordered the thing the moment they started taking preorders (and given that the X-55 has been discontinued for a while, it's a safe bet to say it's been well over a year since I've gotten the thing).

I'm thinking I'm going to have to just bite the bullet and swing for a Warthog for my next stick. I remember my old Thrustmaster FCS from the early 90s lasted us up until the time computers and graphics cards didn't have gameports in them anymore (the only maintenance it needed was replacing a spring that snapped).

I don't blame you. I'm happy with my X-56 Pro (except for the LED colors not matching if I restart while they're plugged in, no issues, and that's solved by plugging/unplugging them), but the X-55's are impossible to get support for now (hence me getting an X-56). Your other option sounds more suitable for flight sims probably.

• Options

Have you looked into VirPil? Their MongoosT50 is being received pretty well, and they have a throttle on the way for Q1 of next year.

They’re not desktop-friendly, though, and are meant to be mounted.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

Have you looked into VirPil? Their MongoosT50 is being received pretty well, and they have a throttle on the way for Q1 of next year.

Hmm...they are pretty interesting looking. If I had a cockpit layout, I'd definitely seriously eyeball those for that setup...but as I have a traditional desk setup, the Warthog (or the newer model that's supposed to be coming soon(tm)) looks to be better suited.

• Options

Hmm...they are pretty interesting looking. If I had a cockpit layout, I'd definitely seriously eyeball those for that setup...but as I have a traditional desk setup, the Warthog (or the newer model that's supposed to be coming soon(tm)) looks to be better suited.

They do have mounts available for desks to bring the controls down to the proper height, but it’d be an extra cost on top of the HOTAS.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I don't like the VKB stuff because it's based on eastern bloc aircraft which I've never liked the aesthetic of. I love my Warthog but I also completely sidestepped the stiction issues by putting a force sensing base on it. I've had my Warthog for almost two years now and it's still going strong. I assume at some point my throttle will go, as that tends to be the first piece that starts to fritz on people, but so far so good...

*knocks on wood and crosses fingers*

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    I'm eyeing a CH fighterstick setup next. First I need some pedals though.

• Options
    I'm eyeing buying some expensive pedals...I reallllly want some Slaw Device RX Viper's but getting a hold of a pair is tough. Not only is the waiting list extremely long, the guy barely speaks English and you basically have to deposit 500 bucks in to his Polish bank account, lol. He's proven reliable and trustworthy, I just haven't found the disposable income yet.