Options

winter [chat]

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Hmm...

B00000 wouldn't really be a great ghost color.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    if nothing else, Assange has been pretty damn creative at trying to dodge rape charges.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Keanu Reeves has aged really well, but god damn was he smokin' when he was younger

<--- first celebrity obsession

I don't want to bang him, but man do i want to be his friend

From what I understand, which is not much given that I don't follow celebrity gossip, he's a good guy.

Mostly I just really, really want(ed) to bang him. I was in prime psycho-sexual formative years when the Matrix movies were coming out, and it was nice because they were so earth-shatteringly popular that it didn't raise any red flags when I was way, way into him (don't boys like action movies?)

u see i never came out but i did come in

h4h4h4h4h4h4

in your endo

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    like is there really a difference between reading Moby Dick and Buzzfeed's 20 ways you know you're a 90s kid?

I mean, there definitely is. Say what you will about Buzzfeed, but Melville could learn a thing or two about brevity fro them.

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/time-i-spent-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-chang-768

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    if nothing else, Assange has been pretty damn creative at trying to dodge rape charges.

If it worked for Roman Polanski,

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I bought besieged on steam for $7

it's a physics game where you build contraptions to blow things up or kill mans or whatever

this is one of my first designs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOIVRQ-7Ht0&amp;feature=youtu.be

only the absolute most efficient designs will do

override367 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Anchorman 2 is making me uncomfortable....any other netflix suggestions? (I already finished Marco Polo)

Yeah, I actually walked out of it about 30 mins in. It was already awful, and then it become homophobic and transphobic and racist, too. So . . . yeah. Only the second movie I ever walked out of.

As for suggestions . . . Groundhog Day?

Its so bizzare because I really loved Anchorman 1.

Anchorman 2, aside from the great central park battle, is such an awful and terrible movie

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    hello [chat]

I am melancholy today

tell me excellent things

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

If it worked for Roman Polanski,

Roman Polanski never hid out in the ecuadorian embassy to avoid facing the rape charges

and he's been complaining of health problems that he says (logical steps missing in the middle, here) should make the UK forget about the warrant. For some reason.

And now he's trying to get elected to the australian senate! Because arresting an australian senator would be too politically potent and well

I can't fault him for trying, I guess, even though it just makes me hate his stupid face.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Anchorman 2 is making me uncomfortable....any other netflix suggestions? (I already finished Marco Polo)

Yeah, I actually walked out of it about 30 mins in. It was already awful, and then it become homophobic and transphobic and racist, too. So . . . yeah. Only the second movie I ever walked out of.

Anchorman 2, aside from the great central park battle, is such an awful and terrible movie

Film Crit Hulk has a great writeup on it.

Basically, it's a pile of shit even on the technical and conceptual level.

• Options
    corporations, as organizations, are far weaker than in its apogee 1970s. the organizations themselves collapse much more frequently than they used to. what doesn't seem to rotate as much is the senior managerial class that occupies the top slots

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    DAMNATION. I overcooked/nuked the fish

This is not a safe space for your fish microwaving fetish.

It must be a fetish too, because no one would microwave a fish in order to eat it...

It's already cooked, just reheating it rly.

Wrap in foil, put in toaster oven. Wait 5 freaking minutes for something.

....Do I even have a toaster?

*hides*

(Saw Dredd and Robocop; going to watch Strange Days. Thanks @Jacobkosh )

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    hello [chat]

I am melancholy today

tell me excellent things

You're a minute, temporary life form on a small rock circling a small star that is slowly evaporating all the water on it that sustains all life and will eventually swallow this pathetic piece of rock and iron in a vast expansion of solar fury, but that won't matter to you because you'll be dead long before any significant cosmic changes take place because you aren't even a blip.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    hey desc whats that youre coming to spend the weekend in Portland soon? Cool let me know when you get here.

hmm i need to take a trip this spring tho

• Options
    hello [chat]

I am melancholy today

tell me excellent things

You're a minute, temporary life form on a small rock circling a small star that is slowly evaporating all the water on it that sustains all life and will eventually swallow this pathetic piece of rock and iron in a vast expansion of solar fury, but that won't matter to you because you'll be dead long before any significant cosmic changes take place because you aren't even a blip.

works for me

*meditates on lunch*

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I am excited.

Going to a 3 day rock show in an RV, will spend Memorial Day weekend listening to music, barbecuing, having drinks with the wife and friends and I even get to shower and sleep in a real bed after each show!

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    hello [chat]

I am melancholy today

tell me excellent things

I made that sociology <---> economics translation guide you showed me into my gchat status and everyone thinks it's the bees knees

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    The Matrix Revolutions is basically not only the best sci fi movie of all time, but possibly the greatest film of all time.

this post is so obviously a troll post it feels like Ludious should have made it

• Options
    hello [chat]

I am melancholy today

tell me excellent things

works for me

*meditates on lunch*

Melancholy means "i want someone to tell me horrible things", correct?

I really hope thats what it means, otherwise this would be soo embarrassing.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i have a solution to melancholia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2r28M1TrY

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I watched a few episodes of bob's burgers, it doesn't seem great

It took a while to grow on me, but I really just cannot get enough Bob and Linda but mostly Bob.

It just slays me every time Bob has one of his pretend dialogues with an inanimate object. They're always really clever and charming.

it's well-loved! I dunno maybe it's not for me, or maybe I need to watch more episodes

I've watched like 4 though, I feel like that's a pretty good dipping of my toe into the water

I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking it. Even though I like it, I mostly find the humor pretty gentle. It never has me falling out of my seat or anything.

In fact, when I started it I didn't really like it myself--I just somehow got stuck with nothing to do for a solid couple days and sat through it, until, mysteriously, at some point I realized I wasn't just passing time, but rather I actually liked it.

yeah basically all of this

here is what I think about bob's burgers in handy summary form @skippydumptruck

- the first season is generally not as good as subsequent seasons. the show is still finding its comic voice. that said, it's not like later seasons are some totally different beast so maybe it really isn't your thing; that is not for me to say.

- the humor is, as MrMr says, kind of gentle. it's also based heavily on the characters so there are lots of things that are pretty funny when you know that it's so-and-so saying such-and-such but would not be funny out of context. so when people post random clips of the show it's often going to be like "??? why is this funny?" that did not help sell me on watching the show!

- some people have hailed the show as the return of the classic Simpsons and that is definitely not true - HOWEVER, what I will say is that like the best Simpsons it does have a lot of heart; a lot of episodes evoke genuine, earnest good feelings and touching sentiments rather than mean-spirited Family Guy bullshit or South Parky snarky type stuff.

- as with so many other shows that want to be Simpsons, though, I don't find the children as interesting as Bart and Lisa. they have gimmicks moreso than personalities. Tina (the oldest girl) is probably the most actual-person-feeling of the three, but the boy is just a walking catchphrase machine who seems completely fucking oblivious to anything going on around him. I don't know why cartoon makers keep foisting that moronic fat boy archetype on us, or who they think it serves. it's really starting to bug me! so that is probably the weakest point of the show for me, right there: the stuff to do with the kids on their own is just noise and feels completely divorced from the stuff about Bob and Linda, who are written with a degree of naturalism as an adult couple.

- I also don't really like the animation style but w/e, after a while it ceases to even be a thing

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I read about 25% of this article, but I'll be honest, I have had a lot of scotch and I am sitting with a small dog right now and I think I need to tackle this article at a more sober moment.
    scotch scotch scotch

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
  • Options
    i'm not sure, on reflection, whether it would be more grammatical to write "I am melancholy today" or "I am melancholic today".

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I think I'm getting sick.

Alcohol and lack of sleep does your immune system no favours so I certainly deserve this

but like blurgh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    it makes me furious that the library of congress doesn't maintain a public and meticulously indexed library of all simpsons episodes and clips tagged and ready for reference and embedding anywhere in the internet at any time

it is the document of our time and needs to be on hand for use

• Options
    I've given Bob's Burgers so many chances.

So many chances.

It's just not for me.

• Options

there is zero irony in my enjoyment of this

also best movie

• Options
    edited February 2015
    ur humors are out of balance
    i prescribe depressing movies until you feel so sad that it wraps around and you feel euphoric

P10 on
  • Options

I read about 25% of this article, but I'll be honest, I have had a lot of scotch and I am sitting with a small dog right now and I think I need to tackle this article at a more sober moment.
    scotch scotch scotch

Well, just get back to me with a full report in the morning.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I watched a few episodes of bob's burgers, it doesn't seem great

It took a while to grow on me, but I really just cannot get enough Bob and Linda but mostly Bob.

It just slays me every time Bob has one of his pretend dialogues with an inanimate object. They're always really clever and charming.

it's well-loved! I dunno maybe it's not for me, or maybe I need to watch more episodes

I've watched like 4 though, I feel like that's a pretty good dipping of my toe into the water

I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking it. Even though I like it, I mostly find the humor pretty gentle. It never has me falling out of my seat or anything.

In fact, when I started it I didn't really like it myself--I just somehow got stuck with nothing to do for a solid couple days and sat through it, until, mysteriously, at some point I realized I wasn't just passing time, but rather I actually liked it.

yeah basically all of this

here is what I think about bob's burgers in handy summary form skippydumptruck

- the first season is generally not as good as subsequent seasons. the show is still finding its comic voice. that said, it's not like later seasons are some totally different beast so maybe it really isn't your thing; that is not for me to say.

- the humor is, as MrMr says, kind of gentle. it's also based heavily on the characters so there are lots of things that are pretty funny when you know that it's so-and-so saying such-and-such but would not be funny out of context. so when people post random clips of the show it's often going to be like "??? why is this funny?" that did not help sell me on watching the show!

- some people have hailed the show as the return of the classic Simpsons and that is definitely not true - HOWEVER, what I will say is that like the best Simpsons it does have a lot of heart; a lot of episodes evoke genuine, earnest good feelings and touching sentiments rather than mean-spirited Family Guy bullshit or South Parky snarky type stuff.

- as with so many other shows that want to be Simpsons, though, I don't find the children as interesting as Bart and Lisa. they have gimmicks moreso than personalities. Tina (the oldest girl) is probably the most actual-person-feeling of the three, but the boy is just a walking catchphrase machine who seems completely fucking oblivious to anything going on around him. I don't know why cartoon makers keep foisting that moronic fat boy archetype on us, or who they think it serves. it's really starting to bug me! so that is probably the weakest point of the show for me, right there: the stuff to do with the kids on their own is just noise and feels completely divorced from the stuff about Bob and Linda, who are written with a degree of naturalism as an adult couple.

- I also don't really like the animation style but w/e, after a while it ceases to even be a thing

I agree with all of this except for the part about the kids and that is obviously the least overall impactful part of that critique so I think it is quite accurate if you are deciding whether or not to watch.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    it makes me furious that the library of congress doesn't maintain a public and meticulously indexed library of all simpsons episodes and clips tagged and ready for reference and embedding anywhere in the internet at any time

I think this is what Simpsons World actually already does.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options

also best movie

rt rating of 0%
    rt audience rating of 91%

biggest discrepancy in da database

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i'm not sure, on reflection, whether it would be more grammatical to write "I am melancholy today" or "I am melancholic today".

"melancholy all up ins"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I keep meaning to create a meticulously-curated tumblr of "simpsons characters holding things"

so like Lisa holding the Malk, Bart holding the letter addressed to Santos L Halper, etc

it's like a whole subcategory of simpsons humor

• Options

also best movie

rt rating of 0%
    rt audience rating of 91%

biggest discrepancy in da database

I mean

it's no Thrashin but what is

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I really finally truly think Im at a point in my life where I can fully appreciate The Simpsons enough to give it an earnest shot and it is the hardest fucking show in the universe to find anywhere.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.