Options

winter [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    I guess I should've directed that at @feral and @spool32 about needing the a+ cert to get into IT

i know we discussed it before awhile back

It's generally viewed as an intro cert, wouldn't hurt at all to have it. Certainly it's a low-cost way to find out if you like this sort of thing. If you do, consider their Network+ and then harder / more respectable certs from the OS vendor of your choice, or the Cisco track...

That's like a 5-year plan though.

Right now I'm rocking A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, and Project+.

I usually don't see any listings looking for anything other than Security+, but I guess that's just the bar for entry.

A+ is okay but I wouldn't expect it to help you much. It is very entry-level and you'll outgrow it quickly. It is not a detriment, but the value to an employer is low.

If you're serious about this, I would focus on Network+ and try to get some basic experience. If a community college has a lab you can play around in, get a basic network going, that is going to help you a lot more.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @mim see above

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    kosh knows what's up with Bob's Burgers, listen to him

I was thinking about it, and I feel like Bob and Linda remind me of Calvin's parents in Calvin and Hobbes, insofar as they're quirky but believable adults who love their children but still find parenting draining in a relatable way.

e.g. in the most recent episode where
    they realize, as they're watching their daughters compete in a race, that instead of them both losing as expected one might actually win and beat the other, causing emotional wreckage--and they immediately each try to call dibs on not having to be the one that deals with it

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I guess I should've directed that at @feral and @spool32 about needing the a+ cert to get into IT

It's generally viewed as an intro cert, wouldn't hurt at all to have it. Certainly it's a low-cost way to find out if you like this sort of thing. If you do, consider their Network+ and then harder / more respectable certs from the OS vendor of your choice, or the Cisco track...

I usually don't see any listings looking for anything other than Security+, but I guess that's just the bar for entry.

A+ is okay but I wouldn't expect it to help you much. It is very entry-level and you'll outgrow it quickly. It is not a detriment, but the value to an employer is low.

If you're serious about this, I would focus on Network+ and try to get some basic experience. If a community college has a lab you can play around in, get a basic network going, that is going to help you a lot more.

Well, I mean those are the certs I currently have. The military paid for 2 and I got the others slowly over the last year.

I'm already several years into my degree and I did networking and satellite terminals in the Army, which consisted of a large set of switches and patch panels, Cisco Call Manger, and a lot of headaches with the people who set up the config files for the routers and switches.

I'm just kinda goin apeshit with the certs now because I have all the training programs legit for free (Skillsoft).

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    o god I was eating absentmindedly and just now very abruptly realized how full I am

ctrl-z! ctrl-z!

my stomach hnnnnnnnnnnnng

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Fatty fat fat fat

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Gene and Louise aren't usually that funny, especially Gene, but Tina is a great character - I love that they depict a kind of searing, unceasing lust in her heart that we don't see for most female characters, especially young ones. The portrayal of an awkward teenage girl who is as brain-meltingly horny as some goofy typical male teenager is really endearing.

I have found recent episodes of Bob's Burgers to be less entertaining than the middle seasons, but I watched the whole show almost exclusively over the course of several weeks, so I might have overstimulated myself

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    MrMister wrote: »

I was thinking about it, and I feel like Bob and Linda remind me of Calvin's parents in Calvin and Hobbes, insofar as they're quirky but believable adults who love their children but still find parenting draining in a relatable way.

they realize, as they're watching their daughters compete in a race, that instead of them both losing as expected one might actually win and beat the other, causing emotional wreckage--and they immediately each try to call dibs on not having to be the one that deals with it

They act like real people who had lives before children rather than sitcom parenting robots, yeah. And they have their own ambitions and sometimes feel the weight of the lifestyle they've chosen but they're never shown to be anything less than good people who love each other and their kids. I really, really like that about the show.

My reaction to the kids themselves is more idiosyncratic, I readily admit. Lots of people love Gene, but I note that when I mention that he annoys me a very common reaction is "but how can you hate Eugene Mirman?" Which, to me, is the problem! He's not so much a character as a little vehicle for Eugene Mirman to make jokes through, which is kind of weirdly at odds with a lot of the rest of the show.

On the other hand, Louise has a gimmick too - she's not "realistic" and actually kind of resembles a different take on Family Guy's Stewie - but her shtick of being a borderline psychopath seems more integrated into the action of the show. She participates in the story around her, and Bob and Linda seem genuinely terrified of her capacity for violence, which I think is one of the best and darkest little running gags on the show.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Louise is great when she's at about 80%. Gene... really has no saving grace.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    While I love both Gene and Louise regardless, I do agree that Gene is kind of a gimmick more than a character. Louise, though, I feel is more developed than people are giving her credit for.

She's had at least a few episodes over the course of the series where she deals with things like growing up, changing relationships and her fears and insecurities about herself.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Lotta haters in here Gene is great

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh I love your wall of text posts : )

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

They act like real people who had lives before children rather than sitcom parenting robots, yeah. And they have their own ambitions and sometimes feel the weight of the lifestyle they've chosen but they're never shown to be anything less than good people who love each other and their kids. I really, really like that about the show.

My reaction to the kids themselves is more idiosyncratic, I readily admit. Lots of people love Gene, but I note that when I mention that he annoys me a very common reaction is "but how can you hate Eugene Mirman?" Which, to me, is the problem! He's not so much a character as a little vehicle for Eugene Mirman to make jokes through, which is kind of weirdly at odds with a lot of the rest of the show.

On the other hand, Louise has a gimmick too - she's not "realistic" and actually kind of resembles a different take on Family Guy's Stewie - but her shtick of being a borderline psychopath seems more integrated into the action of the show. She participates in the story around her, and Bob and Linda seem genuinely terrified of her capacity for violence, which I think is one of the best and darkest little running gags on the show.

Yeah, the best thing about Louise and Gene is their parents trying to manage them (Tina is in a class above them). Between the two, I actually prefer Gene to Louise, though I dislike both.

I can see your objection Gene as punchline-dispenser, but I feel like there's actually a character hiding somewhere underneath there--a goofball who isn't really good at anything but just has unstoppable good spirits anyway. I like that, partially because one of the things I like about Bob's Burgers is that I see in it a certain celebration of the ordinary. Bob's a good burger chef, sure, but they're never going to be rich, or make it big, and they don't all have secret talents. And that's totally okay. I like that thread of the show.

Louise I find more grating because the precocious schemer not only seems less novel but is also less charming. Some episodes have really walked the line for me, where I not only though that Louise's behavior was totally unbelievable as a child, but that it was actually reprehensible and repulsive. Fortunately, I feel like they've dialed back on that recently--though this might just be unfounded optimism on my part.

MrMister on
  • Options

I am 100% serious when I say that I really want to be calvin's dad, as a father

• Options
    While I love both Gene and Louise regardless, I do agree that Gene is kind of a gimmick more than a character. Louise, though, I feel is more developed than people are giving her credit for.

She's had at least a few episodes over the course of the series where she deals with things like growing up, changing relationships and her fears and insecurities about herself.

I thought her visit to the dentist was an excellent character moment for her, where they managed to show her as precocious and everything but underneath it still a scared 9 year old girl who needs parenting and can't take care of herself. I think those moments have been pretty rare, though.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

I am 100% serious when I say that I really want to be calvin's dad, as a father

I try that stuff and my kid tells me off for talking rubbish, either with a laugh or irritation, depending on how tired she is.

You're gonna need a kid like Calvin, ie kinda dumb :)

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    hey desc whats that youre coming to spend the weekend in Portland soon? Cool let me know when you get here.

hmm i need to take a trip this spring tho

n y c

poo
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Maybe I need to explain special relativity or quantum entanglement to her to see if she thinks those are bullshit too.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Maybe I need to explain special relativity or quantum entanglement to her to see if she thinks those are bullshit too.

show her lyre birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    So I have been without internet at home for around a week now, due to some fuckup by my ISP that they are essentially refusing to fix in anything less than a fortnight

I am already resorting to digital cannibalism

picking over my collection of movies, trying to find something, anything, that I don't mind watching again

On the other hand, I have gone through two books in that time, so I guess it is telling how much time I actually do spend just shitting out my butt online

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I guess I should've directed that at feral and spool32 about needing the a+ cert to get into IT

Well, I mean those are the certs I currently have. The military paid for 2 and I got the others slowly over the last year.

I'm already several years into my degree and I did networking and satellite terminals in the Army, which consisted of a large set of switches and patch panels, Cisco Call Manger, and a lot of headaches with the people who set up the config files for the routers and switches.

I'm just kinda goin apeshit with the certs now because I have all the training programs legit for free (Skillsoft).

My employer's given me access to SkillSoft too, and I was in a vaguely similar position prior to being hired. My suggestion is to look into getting on the Cisco cert treadmill - The CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) certification is pretty well regarded from what I've found. From there, it's a pretty straightforward path to moving up the certification ladder. The training material for it is also widely available, with the official video stuff from Cisco being top quality.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    So I have been without internet at home for around a week now, due to some fuckup by my ISP that they are essentially refusing to fix in anything less than a fortnight

picking over my collection of movies, trying to find something, anything, that I don't mind watching again

On the other hand, I have gone through two books in that time, so I guess it is telling how much time I actually do spend just shitting out my butt online

No internet is awful. Hope you get it back soon. :(

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    hey desc whats that youre coming to spend the weekend in Portland soon? Cool let me know when you get here.

hmm i need to take a trip this spring tho

P O R T L A N D

: O

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »

No internet is awful. Hope you get it back soon. :(

It's something to do with the NBN, or so they claim, but it has been a week now and I think we're getting about ready to take this to the ombudsman level because it's ridiculous that they keep claiming they need to make appointments to fix the problem

I've already used half of my phone data in my attempts to do work from home, so I've had to migrate to the university library (since they haven't allocated me a desk yet), which means my work suffers because all my books are back in my home working space

So yes it will be great when I can not be constantly missing something that's essential to my productivity

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    tina sux

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    sbyiatzsd7dy.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Stuff that shows up on Summer's wall,now that she is involved in the Imperial Court

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    math is suffering

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    P10 wrote: »
    math is suffering

I reached my limit with Calculus. I heard it was integral to my graduation, but I found the whole experience derivative.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    math is suffering

I reached my limit with Calculus. I heard it was integral to my graduation, but I found the whole experience derivative.

I just want you to know that I appreciate this.

• Options
    Ok, time for bed, but before going I would add: one nice thing about Bob's burgers is that "small family restaurant where the kids grow up working after school to keep it running" is a class background which you don't see much on TV sitcoms. Certainly no one mysteriously has a penthouse loft on central park. Just last episode it was a plot point that they don't have a yard. So that's nice too.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    I guess I should've directed that at feral and spool32 about needing the a+ cert to get into IT

My employer's given me access to SkillSoft too, and I was in a vaguely similar position prior to being hired. My suggestion is to look into getting on the Cisco cert treadmill - The CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) certification is pretty well regarded from what I've found. From there, it's a pretty straightforward path to moving up the certification ladder. The training material for it is also widely available, with the official video stuff from Cisco being top quality.

look guys don't get skillsofts the essence hit just isn't worth it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    these frozen hamburgers have no paper separating the patties and therefore are impossible to split apart

fuck this earth

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    these frozen hamburgers have no paper separating the patties and therefore are impossible to split apart

fuck this earth
    break out your hammer and chisel

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm just cooking a double burg

fuck you i do what i want

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I put too much tension on a catapult in Besieged and I accidentally created an enormouse razorwire trap from Dishonored

• Options
    vectors are ruining my bunghole rip my butt

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    @feral @deebaser @Donkey Kong

an idle thought today: what is the preferred format for forms in the USG or US corporate world? the SG govt uses a lot of *.doc and *.pdf, but including fields in the *.doc to incorporate sanity checks is a nice touch.

presently using Reader's Fill & Sign to populate a pdf form. christ it's horrid. there really need to be more freeware pdf editors.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    math is suffering

I've got nothing to add to this.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Federal US courts mostly use WordPerfect. Officially switching to Word across the board soon.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.