Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I know this isn't actually the Giantbomb thread but enough of you are refugees from that thread to appreciate the next two tweets I am about to show you.

in case you can't see the tweets: I've hit the fucking twilight zone, I set out to purchase something from an unknown owner on the internet and the owner is me. Three years ago. I have been paying for this domain name and haven't noticed in three years.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's pretty Blais

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    First World Woah

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    surprising no one, buying a domain off of yourself happens to be THE MOST DIFFICULT PROCESS IN THE GOD DAMN WORLD

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    See, this is why Edgeworth has a near-flawless conviction record. That cat hasn't yelled "OBJECTION!" once.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Someone with a twitter should let her know that her next game really needs to have a cat in a tie in it!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    zoe quinn's KITTORNEY AT LAW

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Calica wrote: »
    This is a long shot, but: I'm trying to find the crowdfunding page for a game I came across sometime in the last couple of weeks, didn't bookmark, and now can't find. I thought it was on Kickstarter, but I can't find it there, so it must have been on another crowdfunding site (unless it failed, but I don't think it was that close to ending).

The game is an RPG with a setting inspired, I think, by ancient China - at the very least, it has an Asian flavor. You control a party of six characters who are part of a special class of people who function as diplomats, warriors, and sorcerers. The idea is that you shape the future of the empire by whatever means you choose - violence, manipulation, etc. The characters are described as having elemental powers, or being able to harness the elements, or something like that.

...and that's all I can remember. I know it's not much to go on, but if that rings a bell with anyone, please let me know :)

Found it! Not technically an indie game, I guess, but I'm updating in case anyone else was interested: Seven Dragon Saga

It's dumb that you can't search canceled or failed projects on Kickstarter.

Calica on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am playing The Swapper right now

hey

guess what's a cool-ass game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    The plot and the ambience that goes with it in Swapper was at the upper top imo. The game itself is hardly a 10/10, for various reasons, but it's def. a great little title that one should have played through!

• Options

Anita Sarkeesian is speaking like 30 minutes away from my house!

I wish I knew that before right now

I absolutely would've gone

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Haha

Chilling

Get it?

Cuz, like, carbonite

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    any of you gamedevs wanna pay me to do effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZkuLzNJsow

@Machwing
    Stumbled across this while trying to find a decent solution to real-time hair.

Also Polycount's forums and Creative Heads regularly have postings, but I don't see much for FX work. I do occasionally see it on r/gamedevclassifieds but beware...there are a lot of carny-ass scumbags on there.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Swapper seems like a good game but boy I sure am never going to play it because I absolutely know what the big story thing is and it is a concept that freaks me the fuck out so no thank you

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The crazy thing about Swapper is that I'm often not quite sure if I solved a puzzle the way the creator intended, or if I found some weird exploit or glitch by finagling the system so much.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Swapper seems like a good game but boy I sure am never going to play it because I absolutely know what the big story thing is and it is a concept that freaks me the fuck out so no thank you

But wait till you get to the ending of it!
    It gets even better/worse!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I got a ps4 this week! My wife and I played Nidhogg for the first time!! It's absolutely incredible!!! I think all the exclamation marks are in the right place and order there. My wife was skeptical, but she had a blast. Great game.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    It's a me, the prestige!

For real though, the double cherries are pretty fucked up, even if Mario's concisness collapses back into the last clone or something.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I am watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Freedom Planet

This looks pretty fantastic

And I am someone who actively dislikes the Genesis Sonic games

This fixes everything I don't like about them

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I am watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Freedom Planet

This looks pretty fantastic

And I am someone who actively dislikes the Genesis Sonic games

This fixes everything I don't like about them

Freedom Planet was like my number 4 game last year

Its incredible

I will warn you: The bosses are hard

If you get frustrated easily that might sap your enjoyment

great game though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    The crazy thing about Swapper is that I'm often not quite sure if I solved a puzzle the way the creator intended, or if I found some weird exploit or glitch by finagling the system so much.

this is why i ended up so frustrated with swapper by the end of it. in portal, the puzzles never require pinpoint pixel perfect portal placement, if you can work out how to do it in your head you've solved the puzzle. that is not true at all in the swapper, a bunch of the later puzzles rely on your ability to put a clone in the EXACT perfect position, and it just completely sucks

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »

this is why i ended up so frustrated with swapper by the end of it. in portal, the puzzles never requireprescribe pinpoint pixel perfect portal placement, if you can work out how to do it in your head you've solved the puzzle. that is not true at all in the swapper, a bunch of the later puzzles rely on your ability to put a clone in the EXACT perfect position, and it just completely sucks
    So close, but you didn't go too far enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I ended up using at guide for a few of the late game swapper puzzles.

The one with the four switches and pillars was a special kind of bullshit.

I still think the game is pretty good overall though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    indie games thread, if y'all liked startopia and roller coaster tycoon, The Spatials is out on steam for under 10 dollars right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZWFyMf1t8

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    indie game dead or alive 5

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I wanted to share that series of tweets somewhere and this seemed the best place

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Oh, so this is what it feels like when a Twine game punches you right in the gut

• Options
    mostly i just am starting to really dislike it when people just post the tweets someone else makes out of context

would rather have heard you say what you like about the tweets and why you want to post them than just them existing right there

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don't know what to tell you, duder

I'm not the first to do it and I won't be the last

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    mostly i just am starting to really dislike it when people just post the tweets someone else makes out of context

would rather have heard you say what you like about the tweets and why you want to post them than just them existing right there

hi

• Options
    okay here's an ON TOPIC post

I really hope the recent sale and giant bomb quicklook get more people to try Freedom Planet

because that game is so good you guys

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »

hi

hi hullis how are you
    I don't know what to tell you, duder

I'm not the first to do it and I won't be the last

i mean i'm not trying to pick on you or anything

it's just i'm looking at that post and it sort of makes an itch that's been bothering me for a while

i hear more about indie devs from people linking them talking about sexism in the industry or marketplace or garmblegort than i do from people talking about their games. like in one thread the antholojam site site was linked, and there were like two posts about it

i don't know i'm a little frustrated because i feel like - and again not necessarily speaking to you, more to what i see in general - in the race to agree with these people we don't talk about the actual games they make, which is doing them and their work a disservice. the narrative of discrimination and garmblegort actively causes people to ignore that stuff in favour of other things they can be more passionate and fervent about

but i'm also just as guilty of rarely engaging with that, so i'm going to go play one of the games that tweeter made and report back with what i think

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Well here, a great talk about indie game Hack n' Slash from GDC.

It's great and very informative about the design process behind the game.

No I don't.
  • Options
    that's understandable.

well, going off of my previous post, Freedom Planet's apparently going to have a spot on the next SGDQ, with a run by this guy, who's got the current WR run shown here:

https://youtu.be/3IXDkhr0EtY

(he's playing the mode that automatically skips the cutscenes but the later levels still have some major story spoilers, just a heads up)

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I downloaded outer wild about a week back but haven't had a chance to play it yet, hopefully I can report back sometime tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.