As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Spiner Femmes.

I was going to make a joke about what this could be, but I wanted to google it to see what it actually is.

And it is actually the thing I was going to joke about it being.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    i feel like the only fandom with uh, massive, massive sway is like the star wars folks. ya'll shamed george lucas out of star wars.

imagine the scope of that shit

Even with Star Wars, I think their sway is over-estimated. Despite the louder and louder complaints and eventually pure vitriol, the prequels continued to get made. With a fandom like Star Wars, there are tons of people who are REALLY into it, but there's also a much much larger contingent that is the public consumer who does not give as much as the two farts and will see/buy it regardless. Films don't have to cater to the fandom specifically, because there's a much bigger pie to be had. Smaller niche fandoms MIGHT have a bit more sway as there is less general interest. But let's be honest, fans be damned, corporate generally does whatever they think will earn them the most money.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    [setup]

tumblr_njf5lt7WlP1qif5moo2_1280.png

So

So this show is actually good is what you're telling me

Its genuinely extremely good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    tumblr_ni7ybwYXgu1qa94kpo1_500.jpg

Real Talk, My mom got one of those boob mousepads as a joke one birthday from a friend. Well damn if that thing wasn't the perfect solution to her wrist problems, which was awesome, cept that those things wear out fairly fast, and guess who was tasked with replacing them......

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    suuuuuure
    you're getting them for your mom

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    suuuuuure
    you're getting them for your mom

And this is exactly why is was so much fun to replace it 6 times over the years.

Also fun, having to use the phrase " No the one with boobs" when looking for a mousepad

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They don't have mouse pads in that shape without the anime lady drawn onto it?

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    We're watching ID4 and every time I see Adam Baldwin I'm like "it's such a shame that you're a sack of shit"

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    They don't have mouse pads in that shape without the anime lady drawn onto it?

I looked and looked, none had that little divot in the middle. Though at least every replacement I found, had a swimsuit on, ( the original from her friend... did not)

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    The last piece of pop culture I really obsessed over was LOST, I think?

It was tons of fun shooting the shit and coming up with batshit insane theories with people online

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm glad the Ghostbuster community is all about just building really cool props and handing out candy to kids while walking in parades.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad the Ghostbuster community is all about just building really cool props and handing out candy to kids while walking in parades.
    Maybe it's because Ghostbusters is like the only kids cartoon of the 80s that holds up?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the Transformers fandom is still big but that's because of Animated, Prime, and MTMtE actually being good and bringing in new people, moreso than sheer nostalgia for G1, at this point

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Maybe it's because Ghostbusters is like the only kids cartoon of the 80s that holds up?

Some of the plots are really good!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    look, moms like big titties on their wrist too. aj's yaoi in panties mousepad is my favorite mousepad of all time. big ol' twink butts for your wrist.

fuck, i guess im a member of The Yaoi Fandom

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Firefly got a lot less appealing when I realized that Jayne is essentially Adam Baldwin

no, not ACTED BY

IS

I know dubh knows this but it bears repeating as often as possible that adam baldwin is a genuinely terrible excuse for a human being

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I feel like a thread such as this should provide at least a glimpse into the hellmouth at which you are probing.

Greatest hits
    In the heyday of Lord of the Rings fandom, this charismatic fan was the center of a tiny group of friends who lived together as a dysfunctional mini-cult formed around Blake's belief that he could contact and connect with spirits from alternate realities. He was a multiple, or plural--someone who believes they can channel alternate fictional personas, a bit like the practice of recalling past lives. Blake allegedly scammed his fellow fans out of thousands of dollars, and duped three Lord of the Rings actors into coming to California for a convention that never happened. Blake once again made waves in fandom by arriving on Tumblr, allegedly claiming to be "a vessel" for the Supernatural character Castiel—exactly as he did ten years ago when he channeled the spirits of Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and other Lord of the Rings actors and characters.

I didn't even think about the intersection between "fandom" and "people who believe Ghost Hunters is real", not to mention the Internet psychics who will happily take advantage of them. The next story down is about someone who's into bestiality.

I know a lot of people who think the Internet's the greatest invention ever and let their kids have unlimited access, and you just want to, you know, shake them. Internet Safety should be taught nationally in middle school.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    i feel like plant people, as a fandom? thats gonna get big. walkin around, with their sexy flowers and stuff *lights a cigarette*

yeah, gonna be a lot of plant OC's

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    people probably shouldn't tie so much of their identity to something like a cartoon for kids, no

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Saw this today

iZEuZvS.jpg
    Bronies, a visual metaphor.

God Damn

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like a thread such as this should provide at least a glimpse into the hellmouth at which you are probing.

Greatest hits
    In the heyday of Lord of the Rings fandom, this charismatic fan was the center of a tiny group of friends who lived together as a dysfunctional mini-cult formed around Blake's belief that he could contact and connect with spirits from alternate realities. He was a multiple, or plural--someone who believes they can channel alternate fictional personas, a bit like the practice of recalling past lives. Blake allegedly scammed his fellow fans out of thousands of dollars, and duped three Lord of the Rings actors into coming to California for a convention that never happened. Blake once again made waves in fandom by arriving on Tumblr, allegedly claiming to be "a vessel" for the Supernatural character Castiel—exactly as he did ten years ago when he channeled the spirits of Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and other Lord of the Rings actors and characters.

I didn't even think about the intersection between "fandom" and "people who believe Ghost Hunters is real", not to mention the Internet psychics who will happily take advantage of them. The next story down is about someone who's into bestiality.

I know a lot of people who think the Internet's the greatest invention ever and let their kids have unlimited access, and you just want to, you know, shake them. Internet Safety should be taught nationally in middle school.

I knew and met not this person, but people a LOT like this who basically ran a cult. I was just to credulous to get sucked in, but only just, because I am the one of the most naive people in existence apparently. They primarily preyed upon young college students in their town. They were.. well, at the time I didn't really grasp how scary they were. It's only in retrospect that I can say that, because at the time I just thought they were kind of weird. They were otakukin, and while I don't mind otaku kin because hey, whatever gets you through your day, they managed to convince other people that they were otakukin, and also to live in their house and buy their food and pay their rent and pay their bills and in a case or two perform sexual favors, because they were the incarnations of all these things of a higher rank in the show or whatever than whatever you were. They were violent, horribly abusive, gaslighting manipulators of people, and very good at preying upon the emotional weakness of those in a strange new place like college.

I was so close... so close to being ruined by them, and at the time I didn't realize just how small a sliver of me stood between them and probably the end of my life, possibly at my own hands.. I probably would never have figured out how to escape that if I'd gotten sucked in.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    ceres wrote: »

Greatest hits

I knew and met not this person, but people a LOT like this who basically ran a cult. I was just to credulous to get sucked in, but only just, because I am the one of the most naive people in existence apparently. They primarily preyed upon young college students in their town. They were.. well, at the time I didn't really grasp how scary they were. It's only in retrospect that I can say that, because at the time I just thought they were kind of weird. They were otakukin, and while I don't mind otaku kin because hey, whatever gets you through your day, they managed to convince other people that they were otakukin, and also to live in their house and buy their food and pay their rent and pay their bills and in a case or two perform sexual favors, because they were the incarnations of all these things of a higher rank in the show or whatever than whatever you were. They were violent, horribly abusive, gaslighting manipulators of people, and very good at preying upon the emotional weakness of those in a strange new place like college.

I was so close... so close to being ruined by them, and at the time I didn't realize just how small a sliver of me stood between them and probably the end of my life, possibly at my own hands.. I probably would never have figured out how to escape that if I'd gotten sucked in.

I feel like I've read a story like this before

Wasn't a very similar one circulating about.... what, 12, 15 years back? Where the otakukin in question was Jenova or somehting?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular

Ugh I can't even imagine this. Running a cult should be a crime (like it is in France) but it isn't, thanks to Scientology lawyers (and the ACLU, who seem to get off on picking the worst people to represent).

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

Ugh I can't even imagine this. Running a cult should be a crime (like it is in France) but it isn't, thanks to Scientology lawyers (and the ACLU, who seem to get off on picking the worst people to represent).

with the ACLU it's more like, they're so Lawful Neutral in their mission that they'll do askew stuff to get it done

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wyborn wrote: »

Greatest hits

I feel like I've read a story like this before

Wasn't a very similar one circulating about.... what, 12, 15 years back? Where the otakukin in question was Jenova or somehting?

That's them. She was the leader, more or less. I went to their house to visit them, actually, because I had made friends with someone there. While I was visiting I made friends with one of the people they'd adopted who'd been around for a while.. someone who had been legitimately diagnosed with Dissociative Disorder. I thought she was really cool, and ended up friending her. I'd watch her updates even as I lost touch with the others.. a few years later I read the story of what she actually endured there and it was terrifying.

I had visited there for a weekend. I drove around with them while they fought monsters. They asked me to come back on a longer term basis to see if I'd work out but I had two jobs and that was barely enough, so I couldn't really consider it. I ended up not going back, but I know they drove more than one person to a psychotic break.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Ho-lee shit

Small world

Small, terrifying, awful world

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    (trigger warning)

This was the girl I was friends with. She was already dancing by the time I met them, but I went shopping with her and she was just so genuinely lovely to talk to. I lost touch with her years ago, unfortunately, shortly before this communication was compiled. A lot of the info is there.

ceres on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of pre-tumblr rapid/memetic type fandoms and as far as I can think of, the really big examples are:

Fushigi Yuugi/Inuyasha/(put shipping-popular anime flavor of the year here) anime fangirls, which is almost certainly the direct ancestor to tumblr fan culture. It was just on Gaia, DeviantArt, and LiveJournal in the 2000s

Sonic fans

The furry fandom (tumblr isn't quite as huge of a fur haven as you'd think because there's still such a huge chunk of them that use FurAffinity)

The occasional other odd forum bubbles where that pattern of closed circle, infinite feedback loop arose on its own, like that weird Russian rescue rangers cult
    X-Files.

We had e-mail lists and entire 90s websites devoted to just about everything you could under that umbrella. And yes, that included some shippers that wanted David and Gillian to hook up.
    Firefly got a lot less appealing when I realized that Jayne is essentially Adam Baldwin

no, not ACTED BY

IS

I know dubh knows this but it bears repeating as often as possible that adam baldwin is a genuinely terrible excuse for a human being
    How so?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the room is great and the whole thing with special room memes and plastic spoons is also great

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    are otakukun like some sort of super otakus

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    the room is great and the whole thing with special room memes and plastic spoons is also great

Not when you can't even hear any of the terrible lines because everyone is screaming the line over the actor.

They're funny to read, but enormously irritating and sad to sit in a theater with.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    are otakukun like some sort of super otakus

The -kin suffix usually indicates people who believed they were something in a past life. For example, dragonkin. I know a couple of these, pretty cool people. Otakukin are people who believe they were an anime or manga character.

Which again, I have no problem with. I believe all kinds of crazy ass things I have no evidence of, and I certainly have no room to judge, nor am I interested in doing so.

But every so often you get people who know how to use the group-think a fandom can encourage to be terrible, and on the more extreme end you get people like I mentioned above. I met at LEAST two, maybe more, of the people who have testimonials on the site I linked.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Sorce wrote: »

no, not ACTED BY

IS

How so?

he's one of the primary "activists" (read: literal monsters) behind gamergate, among other "accomplishments"

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

no, not ACTED BY

IS

How so?

adam-baldwin-ebola-tweet.jpg

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like an internet safety class would consist of a teacher walking in and saying "Don't."

Class dismissed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I've been on the internet unsupervised since I was about 10 or so (21 now) and the worst thing I got exposed to was Monster Vagina and meatspindotcom thanks to people I raided with

also lots of sex talk that ended up being rather tame compared to now

I heard my cousin who is about 10 or so, maybe younger, playing LoL and I just want to shake his parents and yell no constantly at them

shit can be terrible for young kids

also fandoms are all weird which is why i actively avoid getting into group-like stuff based around somethin i like

• Options
    Oghulk every time I see your name I read 'oglaf' first and then have to think 'wait no'

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

no, not ACTED BY

IS

adam baldwin is a genuinely terrible excuse for a human being

broken image link
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Just get Adam Baldwins Halo characters killed over and over again.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    i feel like plant people, as a fandom? thats gonna get big. walkin around, with their sexy flowers and stuff *lights a cigarette*

yeah, gonna be a lot of plant OC's

So... Day of the Triffids fandom?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053