As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I the only one who hate fandoms?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    British comics writers in the 80s did not care for Margaret Thatcher. I was just reading early Hellblazer where John Constantine is fighting demons who are literally cheering for the Conservatives to win an election.

There's an issue of Planetary from the early 2000s by Warren Ellis where a character matter-of-factly explains that Thatcher was so crazy that she "wasn't even a woman anymore", whatever that's supposed to mean.

That she was an inhuman monster, I would assume?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    She wasn't crazy, she was just unusually nasty.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I hope that and not the other thing it sounds like.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    She has definitely been demonised.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I somehow completely forgot that Thatcher died.

Goodness me, me.

• Options
    If you type in "why was Thatcher so hated?" into google this comes up:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/why-margaret-thatcher-is-hated/

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how reliable this article is, but it does seem to give sources. It is probably very biased.

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm not very familiar with Thatcher beyond 'mining communities hate her'. Surely the shutting down of mining is just economics? Mining isn't a sustainable thing, it has to end sometime.

A lot of it was the way she shut the mines down and broke up the unions. They were state owned mines, which she ideologically disagreed with, and her government pushed through privatisation that was very damaging to the economies of smaller towns and cities, especially in the north. Others will know a lot more about it than I do, but from what I know there was a lot of underhanded ways her government pursued its goals. They definitely lied to the public about their plans to close the mines, which rather than being a reaction to some unprofitable mines, was ideologically driven and had been planned from the start of the government's term but was lied about because the extent of the closures was going to be unpopular.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe ASMR is a thing

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hatin' is bad.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

there is a big long thread on here about it

I don't think they're all goofin, dude

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'm not very familiar with Thatcher beyond 'mining communities hate her'. Surely the shutting down of mining is just economics? Mining isn't a sustainable thing, it has to end sometime.

Imagine you live in a small Yorkshire village where mining is the only thing that exists. It is the local source of jobs, as in, a good solid 80+% of people who work, work down the pits. Imagine that the government decides not to support the pit any more. Imagine that then 80% of people are unemployed. Oh, we'll retrain them with trades! Easier said that done, and then they ended up with situations where you had a village of a few thousand people with hundreds of plumbers when they need, like, half a dozen.

The problem with Maggie Thatcher's policy (and there were many problems with Maggie Thatcher) wasn't that she shut down an unsustainable industry, it was that she did that and left entire portions of the country in a state of dire poverty with no prospects, setting them back literally decades. There are places which are barely recovering from what she did. And she did this and called it good because she didn't give a fuck about the miners, or the steel workers, or anyone in an industry which relied on support which had kept it going in the place of the main economic provider for many parts of the country who then saw that support disappear overnight.

Maggie Thatcher and her government cut benefits, cut schools, cut the NHS, caused mass unemployment. When there were protests in the north she sent in the met police from the south to kick the shit out of them, so they became riots. She introduced the poll tax, which caused even more riots amongst the poorer parts of society. She promoted the rich and the powerful, the corporations, the city bankers, Thatcherism was the privatisation of systems that people relied upon to provide money to a wealthy classes. Neo-conservatism, there's a reason why she was best buds with Reagan.

So if you are to the right, you remember her as the Iron Lady, who stood up to the EU for us, who won the Falklands, who made the country prosperous and wealthy and who cracked down on the scum. If you are on the left, you remember her as the Iron Lady, who fucked the poor, fucked the ill, fucked the north and the scots and the welsh, who was authoritarian and brutal in her politics and her repression of popular dissent.

So they love her

and we hate her

but we're all her children

Solar on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

you're goofin

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

the asmr subreddit has over 95,000 subscribers

• Options

you're goofin

constantly, yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    ASMR is definitely a thing but I do find the psychological addiction some people get to be a bit askew

Not in a bad way, just not something I see myself doing

• Options
    Well said.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'm not very familiar with Thatcher beyond 'mining communities hate her'.

she discovered this one weird trick to extract ore

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    thatcher is the british equivalent of ronald reagan. so if you are familiar with american politics that should give you a good idea of what exactly she did to the country

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    British comics writers in the 80s did not care for Margaret Thatcher. I was just reading early Hellblazer where John Constantine is fighting demons who are literally cheering for the Conservatives to win an election.

There's an issue of Planetary from the early 2000s by Warren Ellis where a character matter-of-factly explains that Thatcher was so crazy that she "wasn't even a woman anymore", whatever that's supposed to mean.

It wasn't quite that. It referred to "feminists and women's studies theorists" who were saying that.

planetary7a.jpg

• Options
    Thatcher was arguably a lot worse than Reagan because due to the greater amount of nationalised industries in the UK, and the reliance on state services, and the lack of distinction between regional and national policies, she had far more power over stuff in every day people's lives. Like, we're talking about entire areas where the economy was literally gutted. The jobs just disappeared. She was so intent on breaking the Unions she broke the actual society the Unions came from. Those villages are still ghost villages, deprived, poverty, crime and so on is still endemic.

It wasn't just her. It was the Tories as a party. And it wasn't like they didn't get the votes for it which is still a major point of resentment for a lot of people in places badly affected (when I went to University in Winchester a lot of people were of the opinion that the North/South thing was a friendly rivalry and they were quite surprised and un-nerved when I reminded them that it was Southern constituencies who repeatedly voted to give power to someone who had utterly shattered a lot of people's livelihoods, and it's not a friendly rivalry for them at all).

Thatcher was the face of it, though. And yeah, you can buy your Council House because of her. Woop de fucking do. Infrastructure in this country has never properly recovered from those years of Tory government, and I don't think it really will any time soon either unless we drastically change our view on public spending as a nation.

• Options
    edited February 2015

It wasn't quite that. It referred to "feminists and women's studies theorists" who were saying that.

planetary7a.jpg

Yeah that's quite a bit of hyperbole

she wasn't a crazy insane psycho evil not-even-a-woman monster

She was just a fucking nasty bit of work

Solar on
  • Options
    It's easy to forget how very very bad it was.

My grandad had to raise two teenage lads on a steelworkers wage and then to have to go through all that.

It's so easy to forget.

• Options
    yeah it was bad

it was really bad

and the worst thing was that nobody cared

they still got in, didn't they

people still voted for them even after that

makes you sick, really, how callous they were. Fuckers

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    My parents grew up in England during that time. My dad had australian citizenship, and had to come down after graduating just to sort out some family thing, and he was so amazed that you didn't have to go on a waiting list for housing, and that there were actually jobs available that he just called my mum up, invited her down, and they never left.

Quite lucky, all in all.

• Options
    I am freshly angry and upset. But also more determined to make the north better in my small way one day so that is good I guess.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Let's all move to the glorious nippon

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

The town I lived in in Japan is slowly dying, the mine dried up, no one wants to live in the country side, the rice farmers are stuck there, tied to the family land and tied down with crippling debt. Everyone else moves to the cities. Despite registering the highest on the shindo scale during the Tohoku earthquake it is now going to be the new site for nuclear waste.

The youth voting base is apathetic and Abe chips further and further away at militarizing Japan. Japan has the worst TOEFL scores in Asia (last I checked) and is falling behind in many other areas.

Imma pass.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Also please stop your love of robots lest tynic gain any more power.

When her cold, metal empire is fully realized, you will come to grips with your culpability in this binary dystopia and weep for a second chance

what if it were a warm metal empire

Like Robot Hell?

I'm onto your little game, tynic. Or should I say...

the Robot Devil?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPkKZS6q9k

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    even if japanese youth votes more they're outnumbered. japan is in for some rough times for sure as their population crashes. it's expected to lose 2/3rds of the population in the next 50 years

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the looming crisis facing every government, except probably Russia, involved in WWII.
    The looming cliff of the postwar baby boomers that isn't being addressed because the government is still being run by their parent's generation.

• Options
    the US is 'okay'. we're still getting fucked pretty bad by the baby boomers, but the amount of immigration to the country means we're not going to have a massive population drop off

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    From the exactly two episodes I've seen so far I can say that I love all the characters and find them really interesting... except Steven. While I do fully intend to watch more, he's actually the thing that kept me from watching more right then. I'm assuming this improves.

Steven develops as a character pretty fast. The annoying aspect of his character diminishes as the series goes on
    Gem Glow and Cheeseburger backpack are generally accepted as his worst moments and probably the episodes you saw.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    All futures lie with Doom.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    You can crash with @Houk
    Nah, but the Japanese only want you there short term, and they WILL make it a pain in the ass for you to live there beyond 3 or 4 years.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

The town I lived in in Japan is slowly dying, the mine dried up, no one wants to live in the country side, the rice farmers are stuck there, tied to the family land and tied down with crippling debt. Everyone else moves to the cities. Despite registering the highest on the shindo scale during the Tohoku earthquake it is now going to be the new site for nuclear waste.

The youth voting base is apathetic and Abe chips further and further away at militarizing Japan. Japan has the worst TOEFL scores in Asia (last I checked) and is falling behind in many other areas.

Imma pass.

The disintegration of the assembly-line school-work-pension system in Japan and the failure of the culture to provide something worthwhile in its place as really wrecked that country.

It's a shame, the culture still puts a lot of value in a solid, unwavering work ethic, and people with jobs still put in ridiculous hours without complaint. Imagine if they were actually satisfied and happy.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    even if japanese youth votes more they're outnumbered. japan is in for some rough times for sure as their population crashes. it's expected to lose 2/3rds of the population in the next 50 years

Abe's solution appears to be half-hearted tweaks to the economy and nationalism.

• Options
    I was going to make a joke about just having to believe in your friends/yourself/the heart of the cards but now you guys made me too sad to make fun of anime

• Options
    japan would never let in any large amount of immigration. the country is simply too homogeneous and to an extent xenophobic.

the fact that the US is one of the most welcoming country in the world to immigrants is crazy

• Options
    Its not really crazy

Its literally what we were founded on

Just because some people have forgotten doesn't mean we all have