Options

Liar, Liar [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Who is a physically intimidating funny villain actor who could play Ares?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    ugh i just looked at the slate for this newsletter they are having me write, and my piece is followed by someone writing 'SEO Pick Up Lines'

so yes, corporate humor is awful

which means my writing will be like a god damn diamond in the rough

or not-poop in the poop

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I never saw the appeal in Mary Jane.

Well she doesn't have a personality or real identity so it's hard to like her as a character

Exactly. It seems like the people who are in the pro-MJ camp do so out of some obligation to canon, which I've never really cottoned to.

Not that Gwen traditionally has been much better, but right now in the alt-universe titles Gwen is kicking all kinds of ass.

What? MJ was a great character. I think you're not giving her enough credit. There was some really good character stuff done with her all the time. The very "wife" moments with her and Peter. The real terror during that stalker story line. And the tough times when she was blacklisted from her career.

You can't just throw away all that has been built upon for years with a shrug because of a few weak stories here an there. If we did that then most of the comic book universe cast would be considered "not having a personality"

She's just not a very dynamic character. She's the classic damsel in distress, and not only is that boring, it's pretty regressive for 2015.

I completely disagree with you. This is a character that has been around for a very very long time. And has been written by a lot of different people. I feel like your boiling her down to just a damsel in distress is a pretty myopic view.

I'm simply thinking about this in terms of crafting an engaging cinematic narrative.

Re-introducing Mary Jane is unlikely to provide that. She's not Pepper Potts or Betty Ross or Jane Foster, women who are not only love interests but provide support roles to their male counterpart. MJ is just some girl Peter likes. And she's kinda bland.

MCU female leads:
    - Black Widow: master spy/assassin
    - Peggy Carter: kickass soldier/spy
    - Betty Ross: Scientist with military connections
    - Pepper Potts: CEO of Stark Industries
    - Gamora: Assassin/daughter of Thanos
    - Jane Foster: Quantum Physicist

Even in the atrocious Amazing Spider-Man films, Gwen was super brilliant and worked at OsCorp and was a Rhodes Scholar.

MJ is poor waitress who can't make up her mind about which boy to date.

It's good to know that being a supportive wife and working professional women isn't enough to make a cool character. Cause no one can relate to a person like that.

I'm being snarky there. But really. Mary Jane hasn't been a poor waitress who can't decide which boy to date in a long time. I feel like we're not talking about the same character here.

I'm talking about the version of Spider-Man that they're most likely to use in any forthcoming movie.

I don't anticipate Marvel or Sony suddenly jumping to "married 30 year old Spider-Man" in this next iteration.

Which is why I said from the beginning I'm talking about how MJ would fit into the MCU, not how MJ is this great character with noble traits and oh my god she's wonderful just read the comics.

Without drastically changing her role in Spidey's life, I don't see her as being a fit for the MCU. The MCU isn't about mopey teenage angst.

Making Gwen Stacey a scientist who works at Oscorp is literally changing her more than making MJ a smart scientist would be. Actually, all the changes in that list are huge. Why is it that MJ is the only one you think can't be changed?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Oh no a working class girl dealing with a deadbeat dad.
    No one will identify with that.

Get wrekt. MJ is best MJ.

No one said anything about "identifying" with anything.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would like them to make a movie out of the Hercules storyline after he is a wanted man for supporting the Hulk, and Ares joins the Avengers to hunt him down and is just a hilarious dickhead

With the Rock as Hercules

That was fantastic. Loved Incredible Herc.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I wonder if there is a way to do the steam in home streaming, onto my 3ds.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Hercules in the Marvel comics cracks me up.

• Options
    Is it just me or was it lame as hell that with all the established villians in the marvel universe, we got knock off skrulls that had nothing skrully about them as the majority of the villians in Avengers?

I didn't think the Chitauri were supposed to have any relationship at all to the Skrulls, in-universe or out.

They are the villains in the second Ultimates Arc. Chitauri and Skrull are synonymous in the ultimate universe.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Chitauri

• Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Is it just me or was it lame as hell that with all the established villians in the marvel universe, we got knock off skrulls that had nothing skrully about them as the majority of the villians in Avengers?

saving for a secret invasion storyline?

or maybe they're waiting to see if they can pull Fantastic Four back in before introducing Skrulls

Chitauri are Skrulls. Just another name for them, in the ultimate universe (which is the main inspiration for MCU, vs 616).

eh, there's plenty they pull from 616 over MCU, and I think it would be pretty silly to say the Chitauri are the MCU Skrulls when they do zero shape-changing, that being the whole point of them. I mean sure, maybe they never do the Skrulls, but I think it would be a mistake for them to just chalk the Chitauri up as Skrulls when they can leave it open and use them if they see a chance.

My point was more, "why use these lame ass grunts when there are so many other, established enemies"

• Options
    Amadeus Cho, pup in tow.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Let's just put Liam Neeson in there.

• Options

Batista would be the natural fit, if he wasn't already in the universe. Totally had the Ares look.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

or maybe they're waiting to see if they can pull Fantastic Four back in before introducing Skrulls

Chitauri are Skrulls. Just another name for them, in the ultimate universe (which is the main inspiration for MCU, vs 616).

eh, there's plenty they pull from 616 over MCU, and I think it would be pretty silly to say the Chitauri are the MCU Skrulls when they do zero shape-changing, that being the whole point of them. I mean sure, maybe they never do the Skrulls, but I think it would be a mistake for them to just chalk the Chitauri up as Skrulls when they can leave it open and use them if they see a chance.

I think one of the deleted scenes from GotG had a reference to the shape-changing thing and Kree-Skrull war but I could be totally misremembering.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh man, the guy who plays the towering Native American villain in Banshee with the booming bass voice.

That dude is actually quite a good actor with a lot of experience, and could stand toe to toe with the Rock.

I have decided this is my favorite imaginary film

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I want to be left shark for Halloween

I'm hoping it's just close to not be forgotten and just far enough away to be funny again

Until October? No way. Left Shark doesn't have the staying power.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Fox owns the rights to the Skulls.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »

I'm hoping it's just close to not be forgotten and just far enough away to be funny again

People would go oh! I remember that

Maybe

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    japan wrote: »
    Guardian reported on Anita Sarkeesian getting a cameo in Towerfall.

The comments are just precious.

Also I can't help but feel some poor intern got landed with babysitting that article, banhammer at the ready, today.

I read the comments on PC gamer; every other one is a complaint about the poser's previous comment being deleted.

And the cameo makes sense, I guess. It seems to be one of those local-multi indie game that indie developers play with each other and she's probably in the circle now. Playing games with friends, who are also in the game.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I probably won't even remember by then who am I kidding

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

If I am thinking of the right character,
    Jason Mamoa, or Manu Bennett (slade wilson on arrow/crixus on sparticus?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Civil war is going to be so weird. No Reed Richards. No Hank Pym. 2 of the 3 architects of the pro-registration initiatives just won't be there. It will be straight up Cap v Iron Man.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Is left shark the one that fucked up entirely?

• Options
    At least they can work Peter Parker in now. He is kind of the lynch pin of the whole damn story.

• Options
    Left Shark is gonna be way too popular at Halloween, I'm not gonna try that.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

We don't know what's going on with the rights.

IIRC most people think that Fox owns all the specific Skrulls that have been in the comics, but Marvel has access to creating new Skrulls (or just using unnamed foot-soldiers if they wanted)

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Oh man, the guy who plays the towering Native American villain in Banshee with the booming bass voice.

That dude is actually quite a good actor with a lot of experience, and could stand toe to toe with the Rock.

I have decided this is my favorite imaginary film
    I was thinking this was Kevin Grevioux, but apparently not. :(

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    *looks up local tattoo artists*

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow. That doxxing and Academic Freedom thread struck a chord with me.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I want to do a couple's costume. A circumcised penis, and an uncircumcised one. We'll walk around parties, and whenever we run into each other we'd make loud noises to indicate how grossed out we are by the other's appearance.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

We don't know what's going on with the rights.

IIRC most people think that Fox owns all the specific Skrulls that have been in the comics, but Marvel has access to creating new Skrulls (or just using unnamed foot-soldiers if they wanted)

Hardly any specific skrulls matter for secret invasion. Super Skrull, maybe? Not really important with all the skrulls being super.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

People would go oh! I remember that

Maybe

You can try it but I'd bet a nickel people will see you as a generic shark, not Left Shark.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I just hope in Civil War they have that rediculous scene where Cap is lectured for not knowing popular memes / references.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Are you for academic freedom, or are you anti-doxxing?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The way to go is probably to do Secret Invasion with the Chitauri as the invaders. Reveal that the whole plan originally was to distract us as they infiltrated society. As more and more heroes appear in the world, it could make sense.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Is left shark the one that fucked up entirely?

he did not fuck up.
    he danced to his own awesome beat

Left Shark = Best Shark

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Are you for academic freedom, or are you anti-doxxing?

Anti-doxxing, especially as my job is to enforce university policy about doxxing style info getting out.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

bro

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Civil war is going to be so weird. No Reed Richards. No Hank Pym. 2 of the 3 architects of the pro-registration initiatives just won't be there.

Don't worry about it. The adaptions of Winter Soldier and Extremis were different too. The movies aren't the comics. In fact, given the MCU's track record it'll be a good adaption.
    It will be straight up Cap v Iron Man.

There are a few super-heroes in the movie. Black Panther, Falcon, Black Widow and maybe Spider-man. Cap won't be alone, because in the MCU a one on one fight between the two is going to end with Cap losing badly.

• Options
    Hmm. This is the biggest issue with civil war, actually. There aren't enough heroes in the MCU for it to even make sense.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

My point was more, "why use these lame ass grunts when there are so many other, established enemies"

Skrulls aren't lame. See what they did in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Supposedly the Skrulls are like QS and SW, they just can't use FF related Skrulls. They could be saving them for a Kree/Skrull War adaption.

This discussion has been closed.