Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    To be fair, WH40K had been using the term since 1987.

Aliens was in 1986 and there was a buttload of literature that used it before then.

I don't mind that they used the a generic name that had already been used, but the fact that they trademarked it is super gross.

EDIT: I mean, look at this
    Trademark controversy
    In December 2012, online retailer Amazon.com removed the e-book Spots the Space Marine by M.C.A. Hogarth at the request of games company Games Workshop. They claimed the use of the phrase "space marine" infringed on their trademark of the term for their game Warhammer 40,000.

Fuck those guys.
    The rest of that quote, that you interestingly declined to include:
    In February 2013, the row received a lot of publicity, with authors such as Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross and John Scalzi supporting Hogarth, and Amazon.com then restored the e-book for sale.

Because it's irrelevant? It doesn't negate the fact that Games Workshop threw their weight around over their "Space Marine" trademark to get it removed in the first place. That doesn't negate the "Fuck those guys."
    Also from Wikipedia:
    The earliest known use of the term "space marine" was by Bob Olsen in his short story "Captain Brink of the Space Marines" (Amazing Stories, Volume 7, Number 8, November 1932)

So yes, the term has been in use for a long, long time; long predating any of our normal pop culture uses of it.

Aliens, incidentally, never referred to its characters as "space marines"; they were always "colonial marines", although they're the obvious non-gaming use of the trope and always get brought up in any discussion of the term's origins.

And trademark law is seriously broken, that's not new. GW did have a tabletop game called Space Marine out in 1989, incidentally; as part of their Epic Scale 40K series (now just known as Epic).

I could have sworn "Space Marine" was used in Aliens. My bad.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    To be fair, WH40K had been using the term since 1987.

Aliens was in 1986 and there was a buttload of literature that used it before then.

I don't mind that they used the a generic name that had already been used, but the fact that they trademarked it is super gross.

EDIT: I mean, look at this
    Trademark controversy
    In December 2012, online retailer Amazon.com removed the e-book Spots the Space Marine by M.C.A. Hogarth at the request of games company Games Workshop. They claimed the use of the phrase "space marine" infringed on their trademark of the term for their game Warhammer 40,000.

Fuck those guys.
    The rest of that quote, that you interestingly declined to include:
    In February 2013, the row received a lot of publicity, with authors such as Cory Doctorow, Charles Stross and John Scalzi supporting Hogarth, and Amazon.com then restored the e-book for sale.

Because it's irrelevant? It doesn't negate the fact that Games Workshop threw their weight around over their "Space Marine" trademark to get it removed in the first place. That doesn't negate the "Fuck those guys."

It's not completely irrelevant. Like I said, trademark law is broken. I agree with you that trademarking generic terms is shitty, but trademark law apparently allowed for that one. GW had been using that trademark since 1987 and actually had a product using it as a full title in 1989, over two decades before that book was published (in 2011 according to Amazon). And that got resolved, and the book back on sale, implicitly saying that the trademark is crap, which is relevant. Yeah, they threw their weight around. They lost.

It's not quite as bad (IMO) as the Candy Crush Saga publisher attempting to trademark the word "Saga", but it does fall under the same umbrella, yes.

Jazz on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'll put the locations where it happens under a spoiler so you can look if you want.
    It's the three dungeons with the elements. Once you restore their locations you can't go back in.
    The first one being where you are running upwards from the water rising? I just completed that, and only noticed the experience orb things in there. That sequence got really frustrating for me, so I just ignored those eventually. Or do you mean from the point of when you press up to enter that whole area?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Or Bethesda trying to block the game "Scrolls" from being released.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    I'd forgotten about that. Very yes.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The CS:GO Katowice finale broke 1 million viewers!

The last match was amazing!

I got 2 souvenir boxes 2 rounds in a row and blew about $15 on stickers! (not pictured the other stickers)

?.jpg

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I've recently been playing Kerbal Space Program, and I haven't since they added contracts. I got one to rescue a kerbal stuck in orbit. That was my first ever orbital rendezvous. It took me about an hour, and many quickloads, but I managed to do it. Feels good, man.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Non-Steam related but is anyone getting Battlefield: Hardline? I just got a Gamestop giftcard for my birthday and was thinking of what to spend it on. I don't want to get it if no one else is going to be playing it.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'll put the locations where it happens under a spoiler so you can look if you want.
    It's the three dungeons with the elements. Once you restore their locations you can't go back in.
    The first one being where you are running upwards from the water rising? I just completed that, and only noticed the experience orb things in there. That sequence got really frustrating for me, so I just ignored those eventually. Or do you mean from the point of when you press up to enter that whole area?
    Once you restore the elements the entire dungeon is locked off, not just that one area.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Wow. I've made a eight bucks so far today after putting all of my cards up on the marketplace.

You've taken your first step into a larger world.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    A big thank you to @HiT BiT for this lovely picture

MkU0NN9.jpg

and a key for Prelogate.

I will dedicate my first broken mouse to you, kind sir!

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Evening, folks.

GF is on a business trip, so I may have more time to play games the next two weeks! Yay!

Once I finish the one I'm currently on (Medal of Honor), I will play whatever is winning this straw poll:

http://strawpoll.me/3882984

This is what came up through 10 runs of Fortune Cookie on Backloggery, except that when something was a sequel I went to the earliest one I hadn't beaten. No, I'm not kidding. Be gentle :P

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Evening, folks.

GF is on a business trip, so I may have more time to play games the next two weeks! Yay!

Once I finish the one I'm currently on (Medal of Honor), I will play whatever is winning this straw poll:

This is what came up through 10 runs of Fortune Cookie on Backloggery, except that when something was a sequel I went to the earliest one I hadn't beaten. No, I'm not kidding. Be gentle :P

Syberia. :)

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Wow. I've made a eight bucks so far today after putting all of my cards up on the marketplace.

You've taken your first step into a larger world.

I'd agree with you, but that eight bucks was all but 28 of the cards I had :P

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Evening, folks.

I was sooo going to vote for Bad Rats just because it was one of the options but I decided not to be mean and vote for a charming little adventure game called Syberia. And if you like it you can go right ahead and play the sequel since you will be wanting to know what happened next for sure.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I feel like I should be smart enough to make a catapult or trebuchet in Besiege, but here I am watching machine after machine fail. My kingdom for taut rope and the ability to cut it!

EDIT: SUCCESS!
    80F6648BDF35A36ED570A84281AFAF31EB318A7A

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    is besiege the kerbal of medieval warfare?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    is besiege the kerbal of medieval warfare?

That is exactly what it is.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    @jclast Pffft! 8-)

COWER PUNY MORTALS!! FOR I RAIN DEATH AND DESPAIR UPON YOUR MISERABLE SOULS!!!

364696E60AE06DFE4E70724079C82EC509A7BF48

It requires a bit of bracing, but the whole thing holds up really well once it unleashes its wall of unadulterated pain.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @jclast
    Now, make one that can reload itself.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I assume @jclast used a decoupler to cut the line on the trebuchet in order to launch it, making it difficult to reset.

Otherwise if he can, then it's just a matter of having to build a small tower next to it, putting his next ammunition on top, and perhaps use a piston or similar contraption to ready the next volley.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of sports game that lets me manage a team in a progressive RPG fashion similar to how I level up my soldiers in Jagged Alliance 2? Because I suddenly remembered watching Nascar Racers when I was younger and was struck with a sudden desire to manage a team of hotheads and tune their cars.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Evening, folks.

Five of you (so far) are bad people.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Is there any sort of sports game that lets me manage a team in a progressive RPG fashion similar to how I level up my soldiers in Jagged Alliance 2? Because I suddenly remembered watching Nascar Racers when I was younger and was struck with a sudden desire to manage a team of hotheads and tune their cars.

Football Manager?

Jazz on
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Holy heck Runner 2 is fun. I had no idea it was like a platforming rhythm game? Fiancee and i recorded ourselves playing it last night as we prepare to start up for our lets play and just had a blast. Didn't wanna stop. I beat a couple of people's early high-scores on here but have no idea how to make my score higher.

Does skipping the checkpoint increase your score like i think it might?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @Iolo - I just noticed your sig.

It's good you've commemorated that moment. I feel like that's the moment when everything started going downhill for us. When our ship finally explodes into space dust, the thought that will carry us into the great beyond surely will be "If only Iolo hadn't gotten personal with Miller..."

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Holy heck Runner 2 is fun. I had no idea it was like a platforming rhythm game? Fiancee and i recorded ourselves playing it last night as we prepare to start up for our lets play and just had a blast. Didn't wanna stop. I beat a couple of people's early high-scores on here but have no idea how to make my score higher.

Yes, it does.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    I assume @jclast used a decoupler to cut the line on the trebuchet in order to launch it, making it difficult to reset.

Otherwise if he can, then it's just a matter of having to build a small tower next to it, putting his next ammunition on top, and perhaps use a piston or similar contraption to ready the next volley.

Those are compression springs so it stays together fairly well after firing. Making it reloadable seems like a cool idea. It'd be nice to have 2 bombs available, but I'm not sure how high I'd have to make the tower to keep the arm from contacting the second bomb.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

It's good you've commemorated that moment. I feel like that's the moment when everything started going downhill for us. When our ship finally explodes into space dust, the thought that will carry us into the great beyond surely will be "If only Iolo hadn't gotten personal with Miller..."

I'm so happy that, surveying our damaged hull and crew demoralized from failed mission after stinging mission, you aren't questioning your leadership any more.

Time for a hug! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

I'm so happy that, surveying our damaged hull and crew demoralized from failed mission after stinging mission, you aren't questioning your leadership any more.

Time for a hug! <3

Yeah, I decided I can't legitimately blame myself.

I'm not the one failing dice roll after dice roll with all the plusses the captain can throw at them :razz:

<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    I have a lot of this thread to catch up on, but I wanted to thank @jclast for his gracious gifts of Card City Nights and Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition. Some awesome card and nostalgia shooter action in store for this hombre. Come get some.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »

I haven't played Runner 2 in a long time, but I was pretty deep into it for about a month or two after it came out. I even had a top 10 score in the leaderboards! I doubt I'm up there anymore; I started to see hackers elbow their way in, plus there were plenty of people who just got much better than I cared to get.

One of the keys to getting better scores is the dance button. If there's enough time between two obstacles to dance, it's best to take advantage of that.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    if we're talking death machines I've made the laziest one and it works, 4 cannons 2 flamethrowers and a bit of patience.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_M5yQwdePis

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Thanks @akajaybay for Silence of the Sleep from the Steam battle.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I just discovered that Populous has a remake and had to share my joy. I'm not going to buy it right away, in part to wait on the summer sale and in part to not have fond memories damaged as reality probably won't quite live up to expectation.

Reprisal Universe - http://store.steampowered.com/app/319560/

I see it's got an average of positive reviews but very few. Can anyone here comment on it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I just discovered that Populous has a remake and had to share my joy. I'm not going to buy it right away, in part to wait on the summer sale and in part to not have fond memories damaged as reality probably won't quite live up to expectation.

I see it's got an average of positive reviews but very few. Can anyone here comment on it?

Good question. Nobody on my friendlist really played it so far.

Look at your PM though.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

No idea, but I loved the version of Populous on the SNES. It got insanely hard, so I never did complete it (if that's a thing you can do in the game). I'll keep my eye on this game too.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    People who have been playing Ori sell me on it. It looks really pretty.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Suds wrote: »
    People who have been playing Ori sell me on it. It looks really pretty.

Paging @KoopahTroopah ...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Cross-posting from the GOG thread, since everyone likes a deal:

FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION

GOG.com is currently giving away free copies of Rise of the Triad (2013 edition).

They started off with 30,000 copies. There are currently maybe 9000 left. So if you want one, better grab it quick since they're going fast.

EDIT: There were 9000 ten minutes ago. Now there are 3000.

EDIT 2: And a whopping 8 minutes after posting, they're all gone. Crikey.

subedii on
This discussion has been closed.