Options

Steam Battle 2015

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Question; Does the board loop?

If the game last for 12 rounds, then that means there will still be spaces left over once it's over.
    Can one move from side to the other, like from 5-1 to 5-15?

Just for future reference...

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Iss rougelike is a ship full of ensign Harry Kims

Which Harry Kim?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »

If the game last for 12 rounds, then that means there will still be spaces left over once it's over.

Nope, no looping. Think of them as walls, and try not to get yourself boxed in. If you do run out of valid options you'll end up taking some damage as you pass through the already visited zones to get to one that's valid.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Ensign Kim was the greatest adversary Voyager ever faced. I think he successfully destroyed that ship more times than anything else did. Alternate timelines, future flashes, whatever. Often not even actually his fault, but he was like a magnet for horrible things.
    Edit: Thanks google video search
    https://youtu.be/Lq3ISHOD21M

akajaybay on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Firebird wrote: »

Nope, no looping. Think of them as walls, and try not to get yourself boxed in. If you do run out of valid options you'll end up taking some damage as you pass through the already visited zones to get to one that's valid.

Is there any way we can see what spaces have already been visited on the turn-by-turn map?

EDIT: Upon looking closer at the map, it looks like spaces that have already been visited have their space designations removed. That works for me!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Is the ISS Rougelike equipped with a self-destruct button?

I need to know. For reasons.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hey, Captian @Polaritie, I'd just like to point out that @Geth has given me 3 crits in a row. So either the smiley screwed up when they moved me to this universe and turned me into a demigod, or I'm due for an epic series of failures.

Just giving you a heads up.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

Well, you can always start digging around in the walls of the ship to figure out what it's really made of.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

No, but since it only has one save-state, you can always just have it maneuvered into an unwinnable position.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    EDIT: Wrong thread - move along.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Hey, Captian @Polaritie, I'd just like to point out that @Geth has given me 3 crits in a row. So either the smiley screwed up when they moved me to this universe and turned me into a demigod, or I'm due for an epic series of failures.

Just giving you a heads up.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh. If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Round Four Prep

Jclast waited impatiently by the locked the door. He wished there had been better soundproofing inside. After some grunting, splashing, and muttering, @Kanden emerged. "Uh, don't go in there. Send @shdwcaster and @Sumanai on the next mission.

Over on the Wishlist, @DarkPrimus was manipulating local information brokers to secure a profitable outcome for their crew. Unfortunately he was caught in a lie and was banned from the network.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Better Terms

Better Terms:
    1d10+2 6 [1d10=4]

akajaybay on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's their own fault for not understanding the derivative futures market!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh well, no harm done.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oh well, no harm done.

Unless we come up a few Steam short of first place and all die horribly at the hands of the malevolent moody running this space death race.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Round Four Prep

Jclast waited impatiently by the locked the door. He wished there had been better soundproofing inside. After some grunting, splashing, and muttering, @Kanden emerged. "Uh, don't go in there. Send @shdwcaster and @Sumanai on the next mission.

Over on the Wishlist, @DarkPrimus was manipulating local information brokers to secure a profitable outcome for their crew. Unfortunately he was caught in a lie and was banned from the network.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Better Terms

Finally, some action. (Now watch me crit-fail my first roll.)

• Options
    Oh well, no harm done.

Unless we come up a few Steam short of first place and all die horribly at the hands of the malevolent moody running this space death race.

I've got the contengency plans drafted for that.

It may be a tad Weird.

• Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    Some incapacitation recovery checks.
    1=No improvement 2=Health upgraded to injured.

Geth roll 1d2 for Emberquick

Yes! My first sucessful roll! I am now injured!

(Hey, you have to claim your victories where you can get them.)

I'll be back in the game soon, Cap'n Pixie . . . you can count on me! I'll be in my quarters if you need me . . .
    . . . sobbing gently into my pillow while praying not to be sent to another Hellscape Torture Planet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Emberquick wrote: »
    ...another Hellscape Torture Planet.
    How many could there be?

• Options
    How many could there be?

That's not at all ominous.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    How many could there be?

That is the wrong question to ask, usually.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    How many could there be?

That is the wrong question to ask, usually.

Especially when the person asking it already knows the answer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Greater than zero, less than infinity.

• Options
    How many could there be?

Anyway, next on the list....

Blorch, Planet of the Slaughtering Rat People

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Round Four Prep

Pixie gave the order for @Ghlinn to run the crew through some combat drills. Sometimes a hug wasn't enough. That's when it was time to use a bear hug, followed by a body slam, and a piledriver.

Firebird had @mts scan the new zone. Maybe they'd be able to glean a hint of what was to come. But unfortunately the system was on the fritz and nothing useful was discovered.

CorriganX waved @Bathtubb over for a word between rounds. "I need you to do the thing". Bathtubb nodded and locked himself in his quarters.The shadows in the corridor outside Bathtubb's quarters moved with a strange life of their own while the loud thumping music emanated from inside. Later that evening Bathtubb emerged, and passed on the good news with a nod.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for mts Sensor Scan vs difficulty 5
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Bathtubb's Strange Destiny

mts Sensor Scan vs difficulty 5:
    1d10+2 5 [1d10=3]
    Bathtubb's Strange Destiny:
    1d10+2 10 [1d10=8]

akajaybay on
  • Options
    I totally somehow read that as he locked himself in his bathtub.

It made the visual considerably more weird.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    JvczuKh.jpg
    Jclast's Crew. Round Four. Zone 4-12.

@shdwcaster absentmindedly itched his scar. This hospital reeked of disinfectant. More and more cases of red fever were pouring in. The rooms now all full, gourneys lined the halls as well. Pretty soon they have to start setting up tents outside to hold them all. The man Sumanai was currently examining was reportedly one of the earliest reported cases of the fever, and its first fatality. The body's skin was gaunt and as red as a cherry. His blood had become increasingly volatile and heated, causing damage throughout the body. Patients quickly became deranged from the pain, hence the screams and shouting echoing throughout the hospital. But the final act of the disease had been for the changed blood to increasingly concentrate in the head pushing through the blood vessels, then through skin, eyes, and nose. The blood had been changed somehow, it had stained the skin the abnormal cherry red color.
    He'd come in to the doctor complaining of dizziness and fuzzy vision 32 hours ago, and now there were dozens more in various stages of infection.

The USS BAFT had jumped into this system, and followed the faint sign of Steam to this planet, this city, this building. But since then, nothing stronger than background noise. @Sumanai felt that it was the concentration of patients here, the people themselves had some fractional portion of the Steam inside them. If they could get a better understanding of the disease then maybe it would lead them to the next step in recovering the Steam. They easily posed as doctors here to help, the place was a chaotic mess. But Shdwcaster was restless, he didn't want to be here surrounded by the sick and diseased.

Sumanai was worked on extracting a sample of brain tissue. He drilled in through the ocular cavity, some of the eye tissue may be of interest as well. The blood had surged to the head, seemingly to the brain. The..leakage was probably secondary.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for a Science challenge vs Difficulty 4

a Science challenge vs Difficulty 4:
    1d10+2 7 [1d10=5]

• Options
    edited March 2015
    JvczuKh.jpg

While Sumanai was busy in the lab Shdwcaster patrolled the hospital halls. There was a growing feeling of panic here. Government officials had arrived to take over supervision of the emergency. The treatment had extended out into multiple tents set up in the parking lot outside. The news channels were pushing for comments, and running with whatever rumors they could put together. Still, 48 hours since the first patient had arrived, and the outbreak had remained confined to this district of the city. Police locking down the area, to prevent anyone else from entering or leaving. This part of town was now under quarantine, and it wasn't sitting well. Already a number of violent clashes between those who wished to flee and the military.

Sumani had found a gritty foreign substance in the dead man's brain tissue. This was what the Steam detector had picked up. He compared the findings with similar samples from those who had died more recently. People whose symptoms started later. They had the sediment as well, but it was in bigger chunks, more concentrated, but showed slightly less Steam. The disease was changing its behavior. Already later victims were showing completely different symptoms. That kind of rapid mutation was unusual. More disturbing, the blood samples from living subjects Sumanai had been testing showed signs of interaction. Tests to kill the infected cells in one batch were effective, but subsequent attempts on other blood samples failed. It had changed to resist the formula he'd created. Regardless, Sumanai was convinced there was a patient zero out there. Someone or something was the concentrated source of the Steam laden virus. They had to find it. The key to both stopping this epidemic and retrieving what they'd come for. He tracked down Shdwcaster, they were heading out into the city.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for a Science challenge vs Difficulty 5

a Science challenge vs Difficulty 5:
    1d10+2 5 [1d10=3]

akajaybay on
  • Options
    JvczuKh.jpg

Shdwcaster secured a vehicle for them to work their way through town. The military jeep had a few stun batons and a machine gun in back. Shadwcaster would stick with his plasma pistol. But of more use was the radio, it helped them keep up on the latest developments. Sumanai had a theory of where the origin of the disease should be located. Based on the movements of the earliest infected, they had each passed through the East Kolenko shopping center sometime shortly before their first symptoms began. While the infection could be spread one from those victims, it was at a much less extreme rate. The patient zero would be incredibly infectious, and would be wherever the densest concentration of contaminated people. On the way, they passed storefront on fire, people boarding up their windows, and a screaming infected soldier being restrained by his teammates. As the pulled up to the shopping mall, a few nearby people fled when they saw the military jeep. Inside, there were a few broken windows, but otherwise seemed abandoned. There was nothing here.

"I don't get it, I thought it'd be here." Sumanai reviewed his notes and the map he'd traced measurements across. Shwdcaster touched Sumanai's arm to draw his attention. There was a group of five people approaching them from the direction they'd entered the mall. Their faces were bright red, and their walk was erratic. Their expression seemed vacant but they were heading towards Shdwcaster and Sumanai with purpose. One of them was holding a knife, blood covering it and their hand. Another's arm seemed badly damaged, it was dislocated at the shoulder and bent backwards. "Hold it!" Shdwcaster drew his pistol, and Sumanai followed suit. "Keep your distance!" Another two red faced people had started coming down the shopping center hall from the opposite direction. More figures could be seen in the distance past them.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for a Martial Challenge vs Difficulty 6
    Difficulty was increased by 2 for slow arrival due to Science failure.

a Martial Challenge vs Difficulty 6:
    1d10+2 9 [1d10=7]

• Options
    JvczuKh.jpg

Sumanai followed Shdwcaster's lead as he opened fire on the larger group. They were slow, and they were able to quickly pass by them, dropping any that got too close in their tracks. It became clear once they were back outside that it was not an isolated incident. Down the street an old man raised a rifle and fired at them, missing by a wide margin. They hopped in the jeep and stayed on the move. Chaos was erupting all over town. The radio was blaring about the patients at the hospital going berserk and attacking everyone around them. They'd pushed through the blockade and were heading back into the city center, away from the quarantine lines. "They're moving towards here, the virus controlling them, it must be pulling them all together, but why? Protection for the source, or is something else supposed to happen.

Shdwcaster slammed on the brakes as they turned the corner. The street was filled with a mass of infected, milling around the front of a tram station. "It must be inside." Sumanai said. "If we can neutralize patient zero, I think it will sever the connection to everyone else. Maybe even cure them." He held up a hypo spray from the hospital. "I mixed up a cocktail of all the drugs at the hospital that might be able to purge all of the disease from its bloodstream." Shdwcaster looked over at him while pondering how they were going to get inside. "What about just killing it?" he asked. "Should work too, I think." Sumanai conceded.
    "Well let's get to work then."

The mob of infected grew quickly, but they weren't very aware of their surroundings. The two of them were able to pry open a grate in the street that would lead into the ventilation system of the tram station. Inside was strangely empty. They found him in the main waiting room of the station. Standing alone in the center of the room a nondescript looking average train attendant was swaying back and forth. Of greater note was the trails of red liquid slowly moving along the floor. Blood was just pulling itself along the floor in the figures direction. Some came in through the windows, some from deeper inside the station, most from the direction of the front doors and the crowd outside. Where it had pooled at the man's feet, it was hardening into a cocoon of some kind. He was already covered about halfway up his thighs.

Shdwcaster stepped out and raised his gun to shoot. Sumanai followed, "Wait, let me try the drugs. If I'm right it might undo some of the damage." Shdwcaster hesitated. "All right, but be quick, if he budged I'm shooting him".
    Sumanai cautiously approached the figure. It had given no indication of being aware of their presence yet. Sumanai was just a few feet away now. The blood was still climbing, having covered the man up to the waist. Sumanai took care not to step on any of it. He reached out with the hypo spray. Still no reaction, although he was facing away. Sumanai reached out and injected the serum into the man's back. As he did, the train attendant's head spun unnaturally far to look at Sumanai. His eyes weren't just red, they were glowing. Sumanai was frozen, he couldn't look away.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Science vs Difficulty 5

Science vs Difficulty 5:
    1d10+2 4 [1d10=2]

• Options
    JvczuKh.jpg

A unseen force picked Sumanai up and tossed him across the room. He winced as he slid across the floor and hit one of the waiting benches. Shdwcaster had opened fire, but the shots were stopping in mid-air. A burst of red mist appearing where each bolt of plasma energy stopped. The blood pooled around him was moving through the air, changing into something else capable of absorbing that much energy. Shdwcaster dodged out of the way as the benches lining the room shot up into the air and fell all around him. He kept firing as he dodged for cover. Sumanai saw the cocoon around the things legs was down to his knees now. It was powerful but this was consuming his resources rapidly. He opened fire as well, together they could overwhelm its defenses. Hopefully fast, from the sound of it the infected outside were trying to force their way in.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Martial Challenge vs Difficulty 5

Martial Challenge vs Difficulty 5:
    1d10+2 7 [1d10=5]

• Options
    JvczuKh.jpg

Outside the sounds of machine gun fire began to ring out. The military had arrived to deal with the infected citizens. Sumanai and Shdwcaster fired as rapidly as possible at the blood creature. Each shot was quickly absorbed with a chunk of its protective shell. But its supply was rapidly depleting. It could no longer stay on the offensive and concentrated purely on its own survival. And then a shot got through, the plasma bolt caught the creature in the head, and it fell to the ground. The blood surrounding it shot out in random directions, smashing the windows before falling to the ground, inert. It was dead. Outside the gunfire died off, the controlled infected had also collapsed. All dead. Sumanai and Shdwcaster left before too many questions could be asked. They'd managed to extract 4 Steam from the corpse of the thing in the tram station before beaming back up to the BAFT. The people of the city would never really understand what had happened. Though it would be studied for years. It was disappointing that his cure had not worked. He'd hoped it would have spread through the creatures connection to the other infected, sparing them so many casualties. But at least it was over, and Shdwcaster and himself were unharmed.

Mission done. 4 Steam gained.
    Geth roll 2d9
    Geth roll 5d74

2d9 11 [2d9=4, 7]
    5d74 168 [5d74=50, 14, 29, 53, 22]

• Options
    I see a distinct lack of "cleanse it with fire", considering that they have ORBITAL FIRE SUPPORT.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    As captain of the BAFT I have complete confidence in my birds' abilities. To nuke the disease from orbit would have resulted in a great and avoidable loss of life and steam. To let my people do their jobs brought about an end to the epidemic and some steam for our trouble. In short, sir, CA-CAW!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttCJmVpS-c&list=PL1ABF2EE23EC6F8F4

Hmm, I have this buried somewhere. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. Would be nice to defeat as an adult.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Sorry guys, I had to try the drug cocktail. This is pretty much me after I injected the blood zombie with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkc7sv12fOQ

Glad Shdwcaster was there and had my back! Another great success!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I had to try the drug cocktail. This is pretty much me after I injected the blood zombie with it:

It's like Maxim #12 from The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries says: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

• Options
    edited March 2015
    shdwcaster wrote: »

It's like Maxim #12 from The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries says: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Best book of advice ever. As such, you've been bumped up on the priorities list.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Captain jclast, I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news is that shdwcaster and Sumanai showed almost no regard for quarantine procedures when returning to ship. I was informed to "Buzz off" in what I believe to be a thinly-veiled pun insult; a most heinous war crime.

The good news is my tests so far performed on the red, sticky substance they dragged in on their boots show no pathogenic qualities and is otherwise harmless. However it's physical properties completely destroyed my chase rug as they trampled through my lab and forced my assistant to mix them drinks like some sort of butler! A space-monkey butler!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »

Best book of advice ever. As such, you've been bumped up on the priorities list.

Fine by me. Maxim #16: "Your name is in the mouth of others: be sure it has teeth."