As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Offworld Trading Company] New trading RTS by Soren Johnson

MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Games and Technology
Ok so here's the deal: Apparently there's no thread about this upcoming game in the forums, but if there is, please feel free to erase this one, mods.

With that said:

According to the website, "Offworld Trading Company is a real-time strategy game in which money, not military force, is the player's weapon. Players must stake their claims to resources, then extract and develop them into goods that are used for advanced buildings and upgrades – and bought and sold on the real-time, player-driven marketplace".
sexw2bngz0fp.jpg

Early access is starting in two days, but apparently the full game won't come out until 2016; they REALLY want to polish it.
My personal favorite feature? Coop. vs. Maybe one player can handle the market and the other the resource gathering/creation?

Some multiplayer (2v2) gameplay:

Anyway, the idea is at least pretty original and looks like a lot of fun. Plus it's the damn Civilization 4 lead designer, that's some big pedigree right there.

Thoughts?

Update: Very interesting explanation and thoughts written by @NotoriousBEN :
Ok, here's my overview of the Offworld Trading Company as of now. If you want specifics like how much materials to level up, go look at a wiki.

There are 13 resources in this game. It may seem like a lot to keep track of, but if you break it down like so, its more digestible.

Essential Resources. These resources are vital to survival. You cannot live without them. As such, you will automatically purchase these resources at market price. Luckily, you'll only pull money from your debt pile, but be wary, a spiraling resource can downright cripple you because the larger your debt pile, the cheaper your stock will become, which means people can buy you out easier. Also note, that as you upgrade your base, you will consume more and more essential resources. Be sure you can account for this expansion.

-Power is a unique resource. You cannot stockpile power, unless you research a specific patent for it. Because it can't be stockpiled, it has a rather volatile pricing because it is sold and bought at current pricing. To get power, you need to use Wind Turbines on cliff edges, Solar Panels on high plateaus, or GeoThermal Plants on thermal vents. In the early game, destroying or (better) mutiny'ing someone's power to supplement your own can be a quick infusion of cash. It is not uncommon to use power to pay off $20K-$70K debt easily in one game.
-Water is a basic resource, but also essential. It can be harvested from water tiles with a Water Pump, or harvested from an Ice Condenser on a water ice glacier. Because water is required for three other essential resources, it can behoove someone to corner the water market and nuke any claims they couldn't grab for themselves.

-Food is a processed resource and consumes water to make food.
-O2 is a processed resource that can be made from water with a Hydrolysis Plant, or collected from a Dry Ice Condenser on a dry ice glacier
-Fuel is a processed resource that can only be made from water with a Hydrolysis Plant. It is essential in that you need fuel to transport resources from your mines and factories to your base and back and forth. Work will grind to a halt if you cannot fill up your trucks.

Basic and Processed Resources. A basic resource is what can be mined directly from the ground. They are usually less expensive than the processed resource they are turned into, but random events and if every player suddenly needs it, it can be worth exploiting.

-Aluminum is a base resource and extracted with a Metal Mine. Its value is rather middling in that the only large consumptions of it are when you expand your base. The colony markets don't really want it as much as it wants steel or other processed resources. You only ever need 1.5 aluminum per tick (1 3pip mine, or 2 2pip mines) x worth of aluminum in the whole game, unless you go stupid heavy into electronics. Because everyone needs aluminum in the early game, it's bound to happen that everyone will have 1 aluminum mine and simply tank its price when they have no more need of it at level 3-5 expansions. Those behind on expansions will pick it up for pennies to complete their own.

-Iron is a base resource and extracted with a Metal Mine. Iron remains relevant because everyone, including colony and offworld markets want steel.
-Steel is a processed resource and made from Iron with Steel Mills. If you are not sure what to make money on, steel is a good choice, but you need it to expand as well.

Carbon is a base resource and extracted with an Elemental Quarry. It isn't needed much in the early game, but towards middle, everyone wants chemicals for patents or to sell.
Chemicals is a processed resource and made from Fuel and Carbon in a Chemical Lab. Chemicals are needed for researching patents, which are powerful game changers, like running your power grid off of water, teleportation of goods, hardening your buildings against subterfuge, etc.

Silicon is a base resource and extracted with an Elemental Quarry. Silicon is relevant throughout because you need 80 silicon per solar panel, and it also used in glass which remains expensive throughout the game.
Glass is a processed resource and is made from O2 and silicon in a Glass Furnace. It is a rather stable resource to sell because late game expansions need a lot of glass.

Electronics is the end all resource. It is processed and made from carbon, silicon, and aluminum. Its price remains high because its Electronics Factory only outputs .25 per tick, but Offworld markets usually gobble these up like candy.

Ok, resources are easy enough now... what's the deal with these different types of Headquarters?

Here is some basic rules for all HQs.
-When you first place your HQ, you will get a one time bonus of the resources in the tiles you placed in. The amount of resources is correlated to its abundancy or scarcity. (You cannot harvest those resources later, they are gone now and forever. But a great way to make a resource scarce if there is only one large deposit of it on the map.
-Every time you expand, you get 4 claims. It doesn't matter how many Actions per minute you can make in this game. You only get so many places to work with. Choose wisely and hope your rivals don't fuck you over. Remember, turnabout is fairplay.
-Every HQ is spread over a certain tile pattern and must be placed on level terrain.

Expansive HQ. This is probably the easiest colony to begin with. The base resource to expand is Steel. (along with others, but this is the most prevalent)
The two points with this colony are that it only takes half the steel required to expand, and it gets 1 extra claim per expansion. That means that an expansive player is usually the first person to get secondary claims, and more claims in general. More claims means more resources, and the factories to use them. But they also need to worry about life support more because expanding too fast or improperly will lead to essential resource shortages.

Robotics HQ. The base resource needed to expand is Steel and they dont need Glass for their expansions. When they place their HQ, they get double the amount underneath it compared to someone else who would place over that tile. This HQ seems really powerful because robots don't require life support. They can bypass water, food, O2, even fuel. But there is a catch, Robots consume gobs and gobs of Power in everything they do, and they need electronics to replace broken parts. If you are not careful, you can end up in a power spiral or electronics spiral *very* quickly, and without the claims needed to expand and support your needs.

Scavenger HQ. The base resource needed to expand is Carbon. This can be useful because everyone else is fighting over iron for steel mills while you use carbon and will become very relevant when people start wanting chemicals. Scavenger is kind of a misnomer, They get news about things before other HQs, so they can prepare if they are quick enough, and they also get access to the Black Market more often. They like to be informed of current events before they become events...

Scientific HQ. The base resource needed to expand is surprise... steel. SciHQs don't need to mine a base resource if they place the factory over that tile. So instead of spending 2 claims to mine iron and then a factory for steel, they just place the steel mill over the iron deposit. They also research patents and engineer designs 50% faster than everyone else, and if they are targeted by subterfuge, the damage only costs and lasts 50% of normal.

Special Buildings

You need to be at least expansion level 2 to get these buildings (except the Offworld Market, you need to be level 5 and then only allowed 2 per HQ), but they are useful and can lead to victory.

Pleasure Dome. The colonists go to this building and its basically Las Vegas on Mars. Every tick you'll get money injected into your account or it'll auto payoff debt. Be aware that it consumes a *lot* of power. Compare the difference between how much power you are paying for and how much you are getting for the Dome. If you spend 60$ per tick on power, and are making 50$ on the Dome you are *losing* 10$ per tick. Also be aware, that the more Domes made doesn't mean more money. It simply splits the revenue equally between all Dome Owners, but the Domes still take up a claim, and the power needed to run the whole thing. (If you own a dome and someone else owns one, you'll both get 50% of the colonist revenue. If you build a 2nd Dome, you'll get 66% of the colonist revenue because 3 domes splits 3ways, but you'll still pay the power cost for both domes you own. How petty do you want to be?)

Patent Labs These patents can be game changers. Like increasing power generation by 3x if its connected to your base, or teleporting goods which means you no longer use transports, and are not subject to pirates anymore and everything is where it needs to be on time. Or slant mining, lets you mine in tiles beside the resource tile. Only one player can own a specific patent, be that player.

Engineer Labs let players increase the output of a specific resource. You don't consume extra input. So if tiles are rather scarce, or if your claims have been nuked to shit, you can at least counter it, or you can increase what you have. Very powerful, but more expensive the more you do it.

Hacker Array lets players create artificial shortages or surpluses in the market. Timed right, and you can make a killing or hurt another player. The more you do it though, the more expensive and less effect occurs. No one will know that it was you that manipulated the market.

Offworld Market This is why you are expanding to level 5 as fast as possible. This thing right here is how you will be able to buyout your competitors in lategame when they are worth 40$ a share. It requires a *lot* of steel and electronics to build, but you can rake in stupid amounts of money when you get a shipment offworld. Be ready to have a Goon squad protect this. It is target #1 for everyone else.

Tips and Tricks

-PRESS THE ''C'' KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD TO CLAIM A TILE!
By far the biggest tip I can offer you guys. If you *really* want that tile, you can press the C key and send a drone out to claim that tile for you for $0. You don't have to wait to get the money or resources to put a factory or mine out there. Just don't go Claim Happy and screw yourself over.

-The overall objective of the game is to make enough money to buyout your competitors. That means that early game setbacks can stack exponentially because someone is able to get that much further ahead of you and hit milestones quicker and reap their rewards before you. Don't be afraid to fight back or screw them over. They'll do it to you too. Spending $5k to halt their production for 60 seconds can give you the window you need to sell your own stockpile and kill the market. Or dynamiting a rocket that's just about to take off? That's game saving right there.

-When you buyout a competitor, you assume *everything* about them. You get their base, their claims, their resources, *and their debt*. Just be aware that your own stock will go down a little bit in price because of the compensation of debt. Be ready to reconfigure their stuff if you can, or turn off things you don't need to keep power consumption down. The upside is that you are now twice as big as you once were. You can expand their base if you wish, and get claims for that as normal. You can output that much more than the other players that are left.

-Build and claim *efficiently*. This seems kinda straightforward. You want to build similar buildings next to each other. Their output increases by 50% and 100% without consuming more base resources. So a steel mill consumes 1 Iron to make .5 steel. 2 mills placed together consume 2 iron and make .75 steel each (1.5 steel total for 2 iron spent) a 3rd factory in a spot touch the other two factories is even better, 3iron spent for 3steel made. This also applies to your mines as well, they will pull more out of the ground if they are placed on resources next to each other.

What isn't straight forward. Build your factories *on resource tiles*. This does two things.
One - You are denying a resource node to your rival competitors. Even if it remains a steel mill all game, you are denying whatever is under it to another player that may desperately need it.
Two - You are now flexible. If steel ends up being worth less that toilet paper, you can remove the factory, but your claim remains. You have the added option of mining whatever resource is beneath your claim along with simply changing the factory.
Three - this ties into claiming efficiently. You only get so many claims, and additional claims can be *expensive* on the black market or during auctions.

This is especially useful for science HQs. They can be very flexible in changing what they need or want. An example of all this would be a bunch of water tiles. Put water Pumps, Hydrolysis Factories and Farms on water tiles. Your Processor Factories readily consume the resource under them, and if there is a change in demands on the market, you can readily scrap and build what you need and cover all *4* essential resources. Patent Water consumption techs so you don't need power and that's pretty powerful for science HQs

-Consider claiming dual resource tiles. Again this leads to flexibility, but it can also be a target if another player is petty enough (they will be petty)
The two cardinal dual resources are aluminum/iron and silicon/carbon. Because you can place the correct Mine on that tile and get *both* resources at the same time.

That's all I got. If you want a question answered I'll be more than happy to help.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Megamaniaco on

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Intriguing. It reminds me of tradewars... On BBSs... Which is really old. If I weren't currently playing Dragon Age I would jump at this.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Some people think "Mule: The RTS" and I guess it isn't that far-fetched. Really looking forward to it.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    This looks really, really cool... for me to spectate. I feel like I would drown playing this game online.

• Options
  • Options
    Sorry for double post, but afterwatching the tutorial I'm kinda excited about it. Not 35 bucks excited, but maybe 15 for what's shown now. There's a debt system where you automatically buy the mandatory survival stuff (oxygen/water/power) if you are not providing it, and that lowers your stock price, and if it falls too low another Player can buy you out. Game over.

• Options
    I'm still kinda torn on straight up buying the game tomorrow, but I'll at least keep a close eye on it. I mean, there's at least a whole year of beta ahead.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I haven't been paying much attention to it but I'm excited about it in the abstract. That video in the OP looks neat.

• Options
    The tutorials on Twitch are really good. There's even a set of graphs for each resource showing how the price rose and fell as the game progressed... It is definitely a non-combat RTS. The black market opened up in the third tutorial, you can buy additional plots for resource gathering, you can steal your opponents plot for 2 minutes... each one is locked out for one minute after you buy it and the price goes up globally every time it is bought. So buy early and buy often to keep your enemies from sabotaging you.

There are three races(?) you can start as. Robotics do not require water/food/oxygen, but they consume electronics (which are expensive to produce). I don't know much about the other three races: Expansive, Scavenger and Scientific.

So many other games though... definitely following it on Steam when it drops.

• Options
    Thing is, can you do 2v2 or more matches with mixed factions? Like, a robotic faction allied with a faction that can make Electronics more easily (if there's such a thing).
    It does look like it has many interesting possibilities. AND it drops today.

Still undecided tho.

• Options
    IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    Offworld Trading Company went live on Early Access today. :)

• Options
    Eagerly awaiting reports... although I'm sure I'll end up watching videos, too, so don't feel obliged to write anything.

• Options
    So it was available for preorder on their web site for $35... but it's on Steam early access for $40, 10% off, so $36? That's not very genuine of them.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    So it was available for preorder on their web site for $35... but it's on Steam early access for $40, 10% off, so $36? That's not very genuine of them.

Valve takes a cut on Steam. It's pretty common for people to charge more on there for Early Access than they do on their own site.

• Options
    If you can, order through the website. More money for them, and you get the Steam code anyway.
    I think I'll wait 'till the end of the month, so I can decide with some money in hand and stuff, haha.

• Options
    IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    Soren has been posting lots of videos to their YouTube page, if you are interested in watching some of the gameplay.

• Options
    I watched Tutorials #1 and #5 and got a pretty good sense for what the game is like, in case anyone is wondering which ones are good to watch. This game looks pretty neat, but between not being a huge fan of buying early access games and learning that Brad Wardell is the co-founder of the company that makes this game, I'm definitely not buying it, at least not for a while. It's still fun to watch people play, though, and from what I've seen it definitely does a lot of interesting stuff that shakes up the RTS genre more than most games.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The release date is 2016? Dang that's a ways off.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BonaventureBonaventure Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You might want to check for Green Man Gaming coupons if you're looking to pick up OTC. Last week, I was able to stack a 20% generic coupon on top of the 10% Early Access discount for a pretty nice deal.

I avoid Stardock games these days, partly because of Brad Wardell, partly because their first-party games are mostly disappointments. But Mohawk isn't Stardock, and lots of good developers are saddled with... erm... less-than-ideal publishers. That's how I justify it anyway.

It's a pretty interesting game! It's already fun in multiplayer, and you can tell the strategy will get pretty intense, especially with further balancing. It's very different from anything I've seen in RTS form and the pacing is surprisingly good. There are a lot of different schemes you could enact to ruin your opponents.

However, be warned that the UI lacks polish and responsiveness. Especially responsiveness. What I'm saying is that you will click on a button, and there'll be a palpable delay before there's any result. If your tolerance for beta software and Early Access shenanigans is low, you may want to hold off a bit.

Bonaventure on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    just chipping in now that I've played it for about 5 hours. This is a pretty fun cerebral game. and for an RTS, its fantastic because APM is almost nonexistant. You can't keep building stuff if you have no claims.

Probably the key word is diversify your portfolio. Its proven better (for me) to have your fingers in every pot than to specialize in one or two resources.

You do need to be aware of how the market works, though, and also be prepared make 2 or three moves to capitalize on a resource and make bank.

Let's say carbon is rather scarce on the map. If you feel confident that there are only 5 or 6 spaces of carbon, it may behoove you to go scavenger and claim the carbon mines.
    Sure, scavenger uses carbon in its construction over, steel, and that plays in line with what you want to do. Now that you own all the carbon, you can choose to sell it until the price bottoms out. That's a losing move, since you invested all your claims in carbon. What would be a better application is spending a couple claims on 2 hacker arrays, which let you manipulate the market and send out a false flag that there is a carbon shortage, and just keep pushing the price of carbon through the roof, letting you sell for a tidy sum. You can also go into chemicals, that are the complex resource from carbon, and get a fast track to certain patents which let you cut down on power consumption, or just use water instead of fuel for your transport haulers.

Being the carbon slumlord, you can pretty much dictate the price, but be careful, because if you completely tank the carbon market, your competitors can simply buy what carbon they need for dirt cheap and continue on their way. Also, they could potentially bypass you if they purchase the carbon scrubber patent which lets them scour the carbon they need from Mars' atmosphere.

Aluminum is a trap resource at the moment. It can be super expensive in the beginning because everyone needs aluminum to upgrade, but that's it. Get your upgrades, then tank the market and turn it off because I've had games with 1600 aluminum and $1 stock pricing...

Don't let yourself get killed by vital resources. Oxygen, food, and power are essential for everyone save the robots, you'll be forced to autobuy it, spiraling the price out of control, placing you in debt, tanking your shares and letting the person providing you power end up buying your shares for dirt cheap and ending you. Its like they bought you with your own money, and that *DOES* happen.

In multiplayer, if you buy someone out, you buy out *everything* from them. You take all their claims, all their patents, all their debt. Its very powerful because you are now doubled in size, but if they have crippling debt, it can dip your price down just enough to let someone else buy you out in that momentary window. and get you *and* your victim's stuff for cheaper than if they tried to buy you both out themselves... welcome to economics.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    If you guys are interested, this will get you the game for 28 bucks.

• Options
    Jeez, sales on top of sales and the game has just entered public testing. That's a tempting price.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game looks really good, but I'm afraid about multiplayer right now. I could see myself buying this is there was some sort of official matchmaking, not sure if I want to drop the money if I'll only be able to play with friends.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    It's funny that people talk about not being able to beat the computers. As long as its a solo game you can pause and slow it down if you wanted to... It's almost textbook why nanosecond buyouts and sales are bullshit

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    But it really is easy to win. Just choose a resource scarce map find what only has 5 or 6 tiles on the map and then build on all of it, if it is not aluminum.

If its a scavanger Ai, take all the carbon, anyone else eff em over in iron and you'll choke the Ai to death as it tries to expand. Late game prioritize food, O2, and fuel, because for some reason the Ai is ok paying 100$ a unit.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm curious to see how this shapes up. Watching a bunch of quill18's videos I feel like there's a good formula there, it just needs some work base don what I'm reading here.

I'm really enjoying hearing commentary as people play, can't wait to see some good Twitch guys get into it.

• Options
    I'll provide q write up over the weekend

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I'm really close to picking this up, mostly because I keep seeing my favorite youtubers (quill18, PrimevalCiv, Day9) picking this up and having fun with it in multiplayer.

• Options
    I'm also waiting for a GMG code or something, the quill/northerlion multiplayer is hilarious.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I basically summed up what I consider to be the bonerific parts of this game in an attempt to sway one of my IRL friends into purchasing:
    Gj2eHxT.jpg

mr_mich on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The "minimalist euro-style resource cubes" could easily be placeholder graphics at this stage.

Watched Ohmwrecker's video of this, and color me interested. Not interested enough to buy this before its done mind you; I've been burned too many times to buy another half-finished game unless what's already there looks good enough to give me multiple orgasms. But I do really like being a space accountant, which is probably why I like XCOM so much and was addicted to EVE Online for two years.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    I picked this up last night and played through the tutorials.

I am going to have a really hard time playing scientific, and I can totally see why most people choose expansive. Expansive is the easiest to play and less prone to screwing yourself over. Anyone have any tips on how to play scientific? As far as I can tell, when you place a factory on a spot, it doesn't actually give you the resources from that spot. So placing a farm on a water tile will let the farm produce food for free, but won't give you extra water. Is that correct?

• Options
    I picked this up last night and played through the tutorials.

I am going to have a really hard time playing scientific, and I can totally see why most people choose expansive. Expansive is the easiest to play and less prone to screwing yourself over. Anyone have any tips on how to play scientific? As far as I can tell, when you place a factory on a spot, it doesn't actually give you the resources from that spot. So placing a farm on a water tile will let the farm produce food for free, but won't give you extra water. Is that correct?

Yup. If you're set on water but it is scarce on the map, you could plop the farm there to screw with the other companies. Just make sure you get the slant drilling patent or your work is for naught.

• Options
    Also, also, campaign is really fun. A series of maps with various special conditions, different levels of income for purchasing specialists, and perks for winning on the map.

My final map, I had a free chem lab, free electronics lab, water and windmill begin at +90% efficiency, pleasure domes at +150%, free slant drilling and superconductor. It was really fun.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Ok, here's my overview of the Offworld Trading Company as of now. If you want specifics like how much materials to level up, go look at a wiki.

There are 13 resources in this game. It may seem like a lot to keep track of, but if you break it down like so, its more digestible.
    Essential Resources. These resources are vital to survival. You cannot live without them. As such, you will automatically purchase these resources at market price. Luckily, you'll only pull money from your debt pile, but be wary, a spiraling resource can downright cripple you because the larger your debt pile, the cheaper your stock will become, which means people can buy you out easier. Also note, that as you upgrade your base, you will consume more and more essential resources. Be sure you can account for this expansion.

-Power is a unique resource. You cannot stockpile power, unless you research a specific patent for it. Because it can't be stockpiled, it has a rather volatile pricing because it is sold and bought at current pricing. To get power, you need to use Wind Turbines on cliff edges, Solar Panels on high plateaus, or GeoThermal Plants on thermal vents. In the early game, destroying or (better) mutiny'ing someone's power to supplement your own can be a quick infusion of cash. It is not uncommon to use power to pay off $20K-$70K debt easily in one game.
    -Water is a basic resource, but also essential. It can be harvested from water tiles with a Water Pump, or harvested from an Ice Condenser on a water ice glacier. Because water is required for three other essential resources, it can behoove someone to corner the water market and nuke any claims they couldn't grab for themselves.

-Food is a processed resource and consumes water to make food.
    -O2 is a processed resource that can be made from water with a Hydrolysis Plant, or collected from a Dry Ice Condenser on a dry ice glacier
    -Fuel is a processed resource that can only be made from water with a Hydrolysis Plant. It is essential in that you need fuel to transport resources from your mines and factories to your base and back and forth. Work will grind to a halt if you cannot fill up your trucks.

Basic and Processed Resources. A basic resource is what can be mined directly from the ground. They are usually less expensive than the processed resource they are turned into, but random events and if every player suddenly needs it, it can be worth exploiting.

-Aluminum is a base resource and extracted with a Metal Mine. Its value is rather middling in that the only large consumptions of it are when you expand your base. The colony markets don't really want it as much as it wants steel or other processed resources. You only ever need 1.5 aluminum per tick (1 3pip mine, or 2 2pip mines) x worth of aluminum in the whole game, unless you go stupid heavy into electronics. Because everyone needs aluminum in the early game, it's bound to happen that everyone will have 1 aluminum mine and simply tank its price when they have no more need of it at level 3-5 expansions. Those behind on expansions will pick it up for pennies to complete their own.

-Iron is a base resource and extracted with a Metal Mine. Iron remains relevant because everyone, including colony and offworld markets want steel.
    -Steel is a processed resource and made from Iron with Steel Mills. If you are not sure what to make money on, steel is a good choice, but you need it to expand as well.

Carbon is a base resource and extracted with an Elemental Quarry. It isn't needed much in the early game, but towards middle, everyone wants chemicals for patents or to sell.
    Chemicals is a processed resource and made from Fuel and Carbon in a Chemical Lab. Chemicals are needed for researching patents, which are powerful game changers, like running your power grid off of water, teleportation of goods, hardening your buildings against subterfuge, etc.

Silicon is a base resource and extracted with an Elemental Quarry. Silicon is relevant throughout because you need 80 silicon per solar panel, and it also used in glass which remains expensive throughout the game.
    Glass is a processed resource and is made from O2 and silicon in a Glass Furnace. It is a rather stable resource to sell because late game expansions need a lot of glass.

Electronics is the end all resource. It is processed and made from carbon, silicon, and aluminum. Its price remains high because its Electronics Factory only outputs .25 per tick, but Offworld markets usually gobble these up like candy.

Ok, resources are easy enough now... what's the deal with these different types of Headquarters?
    Here is some basic rules for all HQs.
    -When you first place your HQ, you will get a one time bonus of the resources in the tiles you placed in. The amount of resources is correlated to its abundancy or scarcity. (You cannot harvest those resources later, they are gone now and forever. But a great way to make a resource scarce if there is only one large deposit of it on the map.
    -Every time you expand, you get 4 claims. It doesn't matter how many Actions per minute you can make in this game. You only get so many places to work with. Choose wisely and hope your rivals don't fuck you over. Remember, turnabout is fairplay.
    -Every HQ is spread over a certain tile pattern and must be placed on level terrain.

Expansive HQ. This is probably the easiest colony to begin with. The base resource to expand is Steel. (along with others, but this is the most prevalent)
    The two points with this colony are that it only takes half the steel required to expand, and it gets 1 extra claim per expansion. That means that an expansive player is usually the first person to get secondary claims, and more claims in general. More claims means more resources, and the factories to use them. But they also need to worry about life support more because expanding too fast or improperly will lead to essential resource shortages.

Robotics HQ. The base resource needed to expand is Steel and they dont need Glass for their expansions. When they place their HQ, they get double the amount underneath it compared to someone else who would place over that tile. This HQ seems really powerful because robots don't require life support. They can bypass water, food, O2, even fuel. But there is a catch, Robots consume gobs and gobs of Power in everything they do, and they need electronics to replace broken parts. If you are not careful, you can end up in a power spiral or electronics spiral *very* quickly, and without the claims needed to expand and support your needs.

Scavenger HQ. The base resource needed to expand is Carbon. This can be useful because everyone else is fighting over iron for steel mills while you use carbon and will become very relevant when people start wanting chemicals. Scavenger is kind of a misnomer, They get news about things before other HQs, so they can prepare if they are quick enough, and they also get access to the Black Market more often. They like to be informed of current events before they become events...

Scientific HQ. The base resource needed to expand is surprise... steel. SciHQs don't need to mine a base resource if they place the factory over that tile. So instead of spending 2 claims to mine iron and then a factory for steel, they just place the steel mill over the iron deposit. They also research patents and engineer designs 50% faster than everyone else, and if they are targeted by subterfuge, the damage only costs and lasts 50% of normal.

Special Buildings
    You need to be at least expansion level 2 to get these buildings (except the Offworld Market, you need to be level 5 and then only allowed 2 per HQ), but they are useful and can lead to victory.

Pleasure Dome. The colonists go to this building and its basically Las Vegas on Mars. Every tick you'll get money injected into your account or it'll auto payoff debt. Be aware that it consumes a *lot* of power. Compare the difference between how much power you are paying for and how much you are getting for the Dome. If you spend 60$ per tick on power, and are making 50$ on the Dome you are *losing* 10$ per tick. Also be aware, that the more Domes made doesn't mean more money. It simply splits the revenue equally between all Dome Owners, but the Domes still take up a claim, and the power needed to run the whole thing. (If you own a dome and someone else owns one, you'll both get 50% of the colonist revenue. If you build a 2nd Dome, you'll get 66% of the colonist revenue because 3 domes splits 3ways, but you'll still pay the power cost for both domes you own. How petty do you want to be?)

Patent Labs These patents can be game changers. Like increasing power generation by 3x if its connected to your base, or teleporting goods which means you no longer use transports, and are not subject to pirates anymore and everything is where it needs to be on time. Or slant mining, lets you mine in tiles beside the resource tile. Only one player can own a specific patent, be that player.

Engineer Labs let players increase the output of a specific resource. You don't consume extra input. So if tiles are rather scarce, or if your claims have been nuked to shit, you can at least counter it, or you can increase what you have. Very powerful, but more expensive the more you do it.

Hacker Array lets players create artificial shortages or surpluses in the market. Timed right, and you can make a killing or hurt another player. The more you do it though, the more expensive and less effect occurs. No one will know that it was you that manipulated the market.

Offworld Market This is why you are expanding to level 5 as fast as possible. This thing right here is how you will be able to buyout your competitors in lategame when they are worth 40$ a share. It requires a *lot* of steel and electronics to build, but you can rake in stupid amounts of money when you get a shipment offworld. Be ready to have a Goon squad protect this. It is target #1 for everyone else.

Tips and Tricks
    -PRESS THE ''C'' KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD TO CLAIM A TILE!
    By far the biggest tip I can offer you guys. If you *really* want that tile, you can press the C key and send a drone out to claim that tile for you for $0. You don't have to wait to get the money or resources to put a factory or mine out there. Just don't go Claim Happy and screw yourself over.

-The overall objective of the game is to make enough money to buyout your competitors. That means that early game setbacks can stack exponentially because someone is able to get that much further ahead of you and hit milestones quicker and reap their rewards before you. Don't be afraid to fight back or screw them over. They'll do it to you too. Spending $5k to halt their production for 60 seconds can give you the window you need to sell your own stockpile and kill the market. Or dynamiting a rocket that's just about to take off? That's game saving right there.

-When you buyout a competitor, you assume *everything* about them. You get their base, their claims, their resources, *and their debt*. Just be aware that your own stock will go down a little bit in price because of the compensation of debt. Be ready to reconfigure their stuff if you can, or turn off things you don't need to keep power consumption down. The upside is that you are now twice as big as you once were. You can expand their base if you wish, and get claims for that as normal. You can output that much more than the other players that are left.

-Build and claim *efficiently*. This seems kinda straightforward. You want to build similar buildings next to each other. Their output increases by 50% and 100% without consuming more base resources. So a steel mill consumes 1 Iron to make .5 steel. 2 mills placed together consume 2 iron and make .75 steel each (1.5 steel total for 2 iron spent) a 3rd factory in a spot touch the other two factories is even better, 3iron spent for 3steel made. This also applies to your mines as well, they will pull more out of the ground if they are placed on resources next to each other.

What isn't straight forward. Build your factories *on resource tiles*. This does two things.
    One - You are denying a resource node to your rival competitors. Even if it remains a steel mill all game, you are denying whatever is under it to another player that may desperately need it.
    Two - You are now flexible. If steel ends up being worth less that toilet paper, you can remove the factory, but your claim remains. You have the added option of mining whatever resource is beneath your claim along with simply changing the factory.
    Three - this ties into claiming efficiently. You only get so many claims, and additional claims can be *expensive* on the black market or during auctions.

This is especially useful for science HQs. They can be very flexible in changing what they need or want. An example of all this would be a bunch of water tiles. Put water Pumps, Hydrolysis Factories and Farms on water tiles. Your Processor Factories readily consume the resource under them, and if there is a change in demands on the market, you can readily scrap and build what you need and cover all *4* essential resources. Patent Water consumption techs so you don't need power and that's pretty powerful for science HQs

-Consider claiming dual resource tiles. Again this leads to flexibility, but it can also be a target if another player is petty enough (they will be petty)
    The two cardinal dual resources are aluminum/iron and silicon/carbon. Because you can place the correct Mine on that tile and get *both* resources at the same time.

That's all I got. If you want a question answered I'll be more than happy to help.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    @Megamaniaco can we put that in the OP? That was awesome.

• Options
    I got to play with Soren and his wife today, it was super fun. I ended up placing third, a player disconnected and the A.I. was saving up 800,000 cash so I was saving up to buy the A.I. out, but Soren had already bought a bunch of my stock, so he bought me out first. I was doing pretty well up until that point, it was close.

I still have no idea how to play late game besides "spam the highest offworld you can and hope you hoover up enough weak players before you get bought out."

• Options
    its also worth it to dynamite opposing rockets or emp'ing them to the side if they are goon squadded. Because if you can stop him for the few seconds you need, that's the win.

I'm sure as he keeps developing the game, there will be other ways to win besides buying out all the stocks.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm trying really hard to "get" this game. Blitzkriger and Sips' videos are informative and hilarious to watch but I still can't win a match, but its still a delight to play.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y3zDD6UypQ

Claims feel so stifling, but I realize that running out of claims and not having what you need built is a big punishment. You will never have everything of what you need which is why the trade bar on the left comes into play.

And why is Glass rare? Did Mars run out of sand?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Robojoe and Sips arent cutthroat enough. Take the $2k to $5K hits and nuke the fuck out of somone's aluminum, iron, or water deposit. Lewis's steel works? that should have been constantly targeted. (nice trick, buy an emp, and a nuke. Emp off target, Goon Shields show up on what's protected, nuke what isn't Goon Shielded, but in the Emp explosion)

Except for facing computers, you need to appear 'middling' or 'upper middling' in power. You aren't big enough to be everyone's threat, but you are too big for any one person to tackle.
    Now then, appearing, and actually being, are two entirely separate things.

Auctions are incredible boosters to your power because you pay for them with debt, but again, You gotta know what to spend on and what you are willing to lose.
    You can easily skate on 20k to 50k and not bat an eyelash, as long as you are expanding regularly.

Probably the most crippling thing, to me, is Power. Power is a volatile resource, yes, but it can spiral and land you in huge debt, which you need for auctions.
    Also, as the way this game works, I use Power to pay off other essential needs, usually food, because 2 Water Pumps and 2 Hydrolysis Crackers takes care of my O2 and fuel until expansion 3 or 4. depends on how far out I spread my mines.

Also, be aware that unless you are very willing to commit to all of a resource - don't. I can't stress that enough, its better to have your fingers in all pots, than in just a couple pots, because you are better able to react to the market conditions. they change all the time.

The reason that glass went stupid expensive in their game above is because *no one* was producing it, or not meeting demand with what was made. They all went into electronics because at the beginning, *that's* what was expensive.

Also, none of them were willing to flip factories over to other processed goods. Carbon? that should have been strip mined because it was worth almost as much as steel.

As far as auction pricing goes... its hard to decide, but its something that can only be found out by who you play with.
    A free claim anywhere... I'm willing to spend 15K to 20K
    Conditional claims... depends on what it is. Geothermal lots are why I put Solar panels on silicon lots. I can put a free Geo Power claim, and flip out a solar panel for no power loss and silicon gain.
    Pirates... I'm willing to spend 10K. Remember, the value of a good is worth double when you steal it. What its worth you got from it, and what your opponent lost from not getting it.
    Teleportation... buy it or research it. The fuel you save goes to rockets or can actually pay off whatever you spent. Also, can't be taken by pirates.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Went ahead and bought this because I've been eyeing it since I saw it come up on steam, and rather than do the sensible thing and run through the tutorial, I just dived into a skirmish blind.

Did well-ish, I think, though my debt was absolutely absurd by the end because I wasn't paying that close attention to my essentials.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt