Options

Yellow [Chat]

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    curse you yearly house insurance and property taxes bills

all makin my current budget look bad

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Deebaser

*labouriously filling in shitty career site with shitty ajax*

*accidentally closes tab*

AUUUUUUUGH

:bro:

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Deebs would you try breast milk ice cream, or a breast milk lollipop

nope

licking-icecream-cone1_article_new.jpg

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    10487997_1177695122259939_2803468336516327330_n.jpg?oh=6144b901e9bc93acf2219bdc0fb60c20&oe=554C92A5&__gda__=1431742197_0a2dda6aaf7aa698d4e655fb4fbcc783

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ok it looks like i am going to donate blood

someone sedate me first

kthxbye

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    the whiny tone of that Kotaku article was pretty hilarious, though.

"OH MY GOD THEY TOOK A COMPLICATED GAMING ISSUE AND MADE IT A CARTOON"

well, a), I don't think it's actually that complicated, but I suppose you probably don't want your site hacked by a bunch of subhuman monsters so w/e

but b) I don't think the real world really is under that much of an obligation to be fair to a hobby that constantly shits the bed in public

and c) welcome to law and order

Gamergate, for those of us on the outside of the "gamer culture" like me, is a fucking cartoon.

It just basically validates any previous gamer stereotypes.

This irks the shit out of me

They decided to call themselves "gamergate" and everyone decided to go along with it despite knowing it really had fuckall to do with being people who were into games

But then I guess "raging-mysogynistic-assholes-gate" doesn't roll of the tongue quite as easily

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i'll take the crab juice
    I don't want to hear that from you Bobby Hill.

5318c0941605fb7efb0000cd.gif?w=500&h=281

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Thank you for your application

aaaaand phone dinging from the acknowledgment email

*binkies*

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

someone sedate me first

kthxbye

I shall live vicariously through you!

• Options
    deebs how much of a faux pas is it to apply to three entry level positions at the same company, if it's an MNC but with a smallish <100 person presence in the regional office here

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bahahaha, Parks and Rec just did the best fuck you to MRAs
    “Can we have one conversation about feminism where men get to be in charge?”

"You're ridiculous and men's rights is nothing"

Amy <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    deebs how much of a faux pas is it to apply to three entry level positions at the same company, if it's an MNC but with a smallish <100 person presence in the regional office here

I have no idea. sorry. i am not a human resources.
    Anecdotally, I have email alerts set up for a few companies and i have gotten multiple interviews at the same firm.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

someone sedate me first

kthxbye
    just think of the cookies and juice

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

well, a), I don't think it's actually that complicated, but I suppose you probably don't want your site hacked by a bunch of subhuman monsters so w/e

but b) I don't think the real world really is under that much of an obligation to be fair to a hobby that constantly shits the bed in public

Gamergate, for those of us on the outside of the "gamer culture" like me, is a fucking cartoon.

They decided to call themselves "gamergate" and everyone decided to go along with it despite knowing it really had fuckall to do with being people who were into games

But then I guess "raging-mysogynistic-assholes-gate" doesn't roll of the tongue quite as easily

Again, as someone who has frequented numerous forums of numerous game designers, and I used to mod a pretty major games forum (EGM/1UP about 10 years ago), it's all behavior I've seen from gamers. It's obviously not ALL of them, but I'd wager it's no different that other cultures that develop mysogynistic tendencies like LEO's, military, or the like.

To say it's a small, teeny fraction of them is not my experience. It's probably a minority, but it could also be a slim majority. It's not a small slice of gamers by any means.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    As an mra....

No that's too far, even for me

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Somebody call the planeteers

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I figured Blu Ray won the moment Disney endorsed it.

However it's like Roman military victories in the early 5th Century AD: Individually impressive, but the greater winds of change predict downfall of the whole system.

I am fairly confident we are in the last cycle of successful or even semi-successful disc based content delivery systems.

There will be niche people who want 4K discs and whatnot... but in 5-7 years when 4K is mainstream enough for that to be widely adoptable, the people who own 4K TVs are going to live in areas where the internet is fast enough to deliver them compressed 4K netflix (HEVC/h265 is coming) and they will, for the most part, be happy with that.

The next game consoles (if they even happen) will be purely digital distribution, with maybe some redbox-like kiosks in malls to send games to USB3 sticks. Movies will be a streamed or downloaded affair. Even TV is likely to break loose from cable consortium and go ala carte, or at least network ala carte (look at Dish Network's SlingTV, HBO Go divorcing from cable, etc. for proof of this already happening).

Sony probably won that last consumer format war that matters at all.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    There will be another format, at least in the US.

We are so far behind on net infrastructure and such a large market that there will be people who will cater to that market. Until we get nationwide fiber and base rates near 50/100mbps, we're going to see another major disc format.

• Options

I have no idea. sorry. i am not a human resources.
    Anecdotally, I have email alerts set up for a few companies and i have gotten multiple interviews at the same firm.

hmm I think it depends on how the HR at this company, specifically, works. i know it's a small presence but they also have a dedicated HR person, at least one

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    spoilered for gross
    tumblr_njkz909kV91rnk2uko1_500.png

The answer is "OMG! OBVIOUSLY! YES! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?""

there's a semen cookbook that's made the rounds on the internet for years and it's just been considered mildly gross and funny

I wonder if anyone's actually made one of the recipes

I'm at work so someone else go investigate this

No one even needs to investigate. Obviously the recipes have been made many many times.

i remember the cover having like...a flan on it? how do you make a flan out of jizz even tho

liek

how much jizz you gotta collect

enterprising folks will already have a supply on hand

just in case

I always have jizz on hand.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I'm going to a bar on V-Day, going to get a few drinks, try and just talk to some people, and then leaving.

Maybe cook some dinner: I've got a few steaks in the freezer, potatoes and asparagus in the fridge. Some movies or games I could get caught up on.

Basically V-day is a day where I get to spoil myself even more.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I just heard Ice-T say "I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion pack."

Who says we aren't living in the age of wonders?

Wonder if Gawker paid for that mention.

Ice T is legit and pretty serious about the hobby, he probably wanted to bring some legitimacy to the episode, it's not like he got to see the end footage on those "games". The script seemed to retaliate against him and treat him like a 7 year old everytime he tried to make a point.

He was the only one in the episode that said "Hey, maybe we dont need to send a swat team to tackle someone on a live news interview when we get a payphone call about a hostage situation?" and they sail right past it and continue to talk about how the fiance was cuffed on the floor this whole time and we should probably go ahead and let him up.

To be fair about modern swatting, usually the trash making the call fakes a local number, and plays a soundboard of gunshots in the background.

Thoughts as I read this post:

Diannao watched the episode? I totally want to make fun of him for this....wait, that seems like a lot of specific knowledge about swatting....uh, nevermind.

:(

I was referring to the actual incident where a(nother) streamer got swatted live a week or two ago. The cops pretty much stopped immediately as soon as the word "swatted" was said. They said the phone call they received had gunshots in the background. Later that night someone tried to have him swatted again("hes suicidal over getting swatted"), the cops just called him and got reassurance that everything was ok.

Like, I keep up with the news on an important issue, sue me :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

We are so far behind on net infrastructure and such a large market that there will be people who will cater to that market. Until we get nationwide fiber and base rates near 50/100mbps, we're going to see another major disc format.

I don't know if there will be a whole new format, but I think we'll be seeing extensions to the Blu-Ray standards to increase capacity and add new codecs for another 5-8 years. They may as well be a new format because there's no way to make that stuff backwards-compatible, but there will definitely be a market for it.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2015

It will be SUPER niche.

There already is a 4K Blu Ray in the pipeline, but the number of people who will buy into it will probably match DVD-A/SACD. They are still trying to convince people that they should move from DVD to Blu Ray. This problem did not exist when Blu Ray came out, where VHS was long dead and buried. 4K will be competing with TWO formats with a strong purchase, for a small fraction of the market that has any means of actually seeing a difference (sub 70" screens at distances greater than 8' see no benefit from 4K unless you make a habit of sitting crazy close to your TV). It will make laserdisc look like a success story.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    4K is stupid anyway. Most livingrooms are not set up to take advantage of the added resolution. It'll probably be the last format change for a long time if it even gets wide adoption. Which it's unclear if it even will.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    BluRay is already kind of niche. the next one will be for real cinephiles and whatnot. Because we are a fairly long way off from delivering real cinema quality content through streaming services. Thing is most people really don't care that much.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

It will be SUPER niche.

There already is a 4K Blu Ray in the pipeline, but the number of people who will buy into it will probably match DVD-A/SACD. They are still trying to convince people that they should move from DVD to Blu Ray. This problem did not exist when Blu Ray came out, where VHS was long dead and buried. 4K will be competing with TWO formats with a strong purchase, for a small fraction of the market. It will make laserdisc look like a success story.

I think if the right push occurs (Sony and Microsoft both pushing high def formats on their game systems which are also movie players!) then it would be very possible.

I don't see the US being able to catch up with the net infrastructure required to stream 4K any time soon.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Bogart wrote: »
    There's a term for when you read a news story that pertains for your field of expertise, or at least a field in which you are competently knowledgeable, and realize it's a load of uninformed twaddle. Turning the page you find an article about which you have no knowledge and instantly assign the article authority on the subject. Wish I could remember what the damn term was.

Gamers are now experiencing the first part of that.

There's a really good episode from a comedy podcast about this. improv4humans. I'll try to find the relevant episode.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Man, I'm really enjoying Evolve. This is one of those games that I wish all my bros were into as well so we could make rocking teams happen.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

someone sedate me first

kthxbye

It will be okay! I have done it. They have delicious snacks to reward you with! Just stay calm

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Again, as someone who has frequented numerous forums of numerous game designers, and I used to mod a pretty major games forum (EGM/1UP about 10 years ago), it's all behavior I've seen from gamers. It's obviously not ALL of them, but I'd wager it's no different that other cultures that develop mysogynistic tendencies like LEO's, military, or the like.

To say it's a small, teeny fraction of them is not my experience. It's probably a minority, but it could also be a slim majority. It's not a small slice of gamers by any means.

i thought like half of gamers were women? more than half? maybe they spend more than half of gaming dollars?

something like that, somebody told me

sig.gif
  • Options
    4K is stupid anyway. Most livingrooms are not set up to take advantage of the added resolution. It'll probably be the last format change for a long time if it even gets wide adoption. Which it's unclear if it even will.

What about 5k?

*snort*

Seriously, fuck Apple.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I'd argue those experiences might sort of unreasonably skew ones view.

"Never go to the official forums" was a thing long before "Don't read the comments" and with good reason.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    h265 makes streaming 4K within the realm of possibility.

streaming will lag behind physical media for a while though. Like watching a Bluray then watch the Netflix HD version. the quality difference IS noticable.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

someone sedate me first

kthxbye

It will be okay! I have done it. They have delicious snacks to reward you with! Just stay calm

AAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I just heard Ice-T say "I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion pack."

Who says we aren't living in the age of wonders?

Wonder if Gawker paid for that mention.

Ice T is legit and pretty serious about the hobby, he probably wanted to bring some legitimacy to the episode, it's not like he got to see the end footage on those "games". The script seemed to retaliate against him and treat him like a 7 year old everytime he tried to make a point.

He was the only one in the episode that said "Hey, maybe we dont need to send a swat team to tackle someone on a live news interview when we get a payphone call about a hostage situation?" and they sail right past it and continue to talk about how the fiance was cuffed on the floor this whole time and we should probably go ahead and let him up.

To be fair about modern swatting, usually the trash making the call fakes a local number, and plays a soundboard of gunshots in the background.

Thoughts as I read this post:

Diannao watched the episode? I totally want to make fun of him for this....wait, that seems like a lot of specific knowledge about swatting....uh, nevermind.

:(

I was referring to the actual incident where a(nother) streamer got swatted live a week or two ago. The cops pretty much stopped immediately as soon as the word "swatted" was said. They said the phone call they received had gunshots in the background. Later that night someone tried to have him swatted again("hes suicidal over getting swatted"), the cops just called him and got reassurance that everything was ok.

Like, I keep up with the news on an important issue, sue me :P

So....I can mock you for watching L&O? :D

I had never really considered the specifics of swatting before but some of that stuff is the sort of thing you hear and realize, of course they do, of course they do.

Though it's nice to hear about a police department that weren't idiots and handled it well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

It will be SUPER niche.

There already is a 4K Blu Ray in the pipeline, but the number of people who will buy into it will probably match DVD-A/SACD. They are still trying to convince people that they should move from DVD to Blu Ray. This problem did not exist when Blu Ray came out, where VHS was long dead and buried. 4K will be competing with TWO formats with a strong purchase, for a small fraction of the market. It will make laserdisc look like a success story.

Well yeah, the mass market doesn't care about video quality.

Most people think 3 megabit (or 6 megabit H.264 if you're lucky and get their "SuperHD" streams on your provider) HD Netflix streams are good enough, and they aren't showing any sign of letting up by doing 4K at ~15 mbps HEVC...even accounting for increased efficiency, that's still a lower bitrate than a lot of 1080p Blu-Rays.

• Options
    tried to donate blood some time last year

1. no longer underweight but still skinny enough to provoke a raised eyebrow

2. BRITISH COWS ARE SCARY YO

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

What about 5k?

*snort*

Seriously, fuck Apple.

Uh, what?

Yeah they made an iMac with a 5K display. It's pretty awesome. And not relevant to a discussion about televisions?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Not that your conclusion is necessarily wrong, but I don't buy the way you got there - personal experience is a bad way to guess at this sort of thing, and there may be differences between the sorts of gamers who post on forums and the sorts who don't

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.