Options

Yellow [Chat]

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    So apparently Tiger Woods is taking an indefinite hiatus from golf

Why not quit entirely, I ask

Two words: Michael.Jordon.

Don't say you're done because you look super sad when you come back. He could literally come back to golf in 30 years and still be able to play, you never know. No point in saying forever if he is sick of his break after 2 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    So apparently Tiger Woods is taking an indefinite hiatus from golf

Why not quit entirely, I ask

too much meaning behind the word.

it is also insane that an emotional change can wreck a person on a professional and athletic level like that.

Well, that and the way he swings the club is predictably debilitating.

Every "power golfer" that was big in the late 1990s ended up retiring early thanks to an endless stream of injuries.

It's weird, but you'll actually last longer in professional golf if you're a pudgy slacker.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I love the idea of haunted places. It connects with me in a weird masochistic way when I was genuinely terrified of supernatural shit for a large portion of my life in a for-real way. There are a variety of very human reasons I wouldn't wander around, say an abandoned insane asylum ALONE, but with friends, it'd be fun as hell.

Of course it would be my luck that someone like this guy would be there and send me into some triggered ptsd frenzy where I wake up with feathers and blood on my hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEkDWRb9IM

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

were
    you
    camping
    back
    there?

sig.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The SUV episode looks almost as amazing as the X-Files cyberspace episode, or the CSI: Miami episode about a GTA game.

The Law & Order SUV unit investigates New York City's most egregious vehicular manslaughters

CHUNG CHUNG

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

were
    you
    camping
    back
    there?

AMAZONIAN WARRIORS

*farm*

*build*

*better than Civ 5*

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    The season finale involves a Mitsubishi with diplomatic plates.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I just heard Ice-T say "I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion pack."

Who says we aren't living in the age of wonders?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Ludious that slenderman thing is awesome

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I just heard Ice-T say "I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion pack."

Wonder if Gawker paid for that mention.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I think it means its time to pack up the internet and go home

we've had a good run

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Didn't Tiger also get hit in the head with a golf club or something during the altercation with his wife?

Concussions are srs bznss. Big personality changes. Problems with depression and hormone production.

Sucks :(

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hmm...some sort of service interruption going on with the internet that's affecting our work email. Can't even access an outage analyzer to see what is affected.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options

The Kotaku article seemed a little taken by surprise by it

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Didn't Tiger also get hit in the head with a golf club or something during the altercation with his wife?

Concussions are srs bznss. Big personality changes. Problems with depression and hormone production.

Sucks :(

he probably got toxoplasmosis from all that pussy he was slaying am i rite

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    I liked Skyfall because it wasn't just the Bond Identity.

Bond in it came off as an outright sociopath

how do you figure?

I mean, any more so than he usually does.

*woman he was rescuing gets shot in the head*

*booze related quip. never brought up again*

Meh, didn't really bother me that much.

The whole point of Skyfall was that Bond was a burnt-out, run-down, empty husk of a man after years of the emotional and physical toll of the job.

Him not losing his shit over the death of the woman who had already completed her narrative function while he was still prisoner of the villain seemed at least fitting with the story.

thats not a fun Bond to watch to me

I don't know if "fun" was Skyfall's aim, so you're probably right.

then ultimately I think they missed the point of James Bond

A big theme of it is "EVERYONE IS OLD AND WORN OUT AND THIS(type of movie) DOESNT WORK ANYMORE". I was kind of flabbergasted that daniel craig will be in the next one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    @Cinders where in France are you living?

Angers

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

"I read on Kotaku that it's better than Civ 5 with the Brave New World expansion."

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Also The Lord of Tears is the best name for a creepy owl monster ever

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    the whiny tone of that Kotaku article was pretty hilarious, though.

"OH MY GOD THEY TOOK A COMPLICATED GAMING ISSUE AND MADE IT A CARTOON"

well, a), I don't think it's actually that complicated, but I suppose you probably don't want your site hacked by a bunch of subhuman monsters so w/e

but b) I don't think the real world really is under that much of an obligation to be fair to a hobby that constantly shits the bed in public

and c) welcome to law and order

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Angers
    I am angry at France too.

• Options
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Angers

whoa chill out no need to get steamed

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2015
    There's a term for when you read a news story that pertains for your field of expertise, or at least a field in which you are competently knowledgeable, and realize it's a load of uninformed twaddle. Turning the page you find an article about which you have no knowledge and instantly assign the article authority on the subject. Wish I could remember what the damn term was.

Gamers are now experiencing the first part of that.

Bogart on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I love the idea of haunted places. It connects with me in a weird masochistic way when I was genuinely terrified of supernatural shit for a large portion of my life in a for-real way. There are a variety of very human reasons I wouldn't wander around, say an abandoned insane asylum ALONE, but with friends, it'd be fun as hell.

Of course it would be my luck that someone like this guy would be there and send me into some triggered ptsd frenzy where I wake up with feathers and blood on my hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEkDWRb9IM
    ilu owlman

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    There's a term for when you read a news story that pertains for your field of expertise, or at least a field in which you are competently knowledgeable, and realize it's a load of uninformed twaddle. Turning the page you find an article about which you have no knowledge and instantly assign the article authority on the subject.

What's the term?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    The SUV episode looks almost as amazing as the X-Files cyberspace episode, or the CSI: Miami episode about a GTA game.

procedurals doing vidya games will always be hilariously bad. I liked the earlier SVU episode where the parents locked their kid in a harry potter closet so they could raid.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I liked Skyfall because it wasn't just the Bond Identity.

Bond in it came off as an outright sociopath

how do you figure?

I mean, any more so than he usually does.

*woman he was rescuing gets shot in the head*

*booze related quip. never brought up again*

Meh, didn't really bother me that much.

The whole point of Skyfall was that Bond was a burnt-out, run-down, empty husk of a man after years of the emotional and physical toll of the job.

Him not losing his shit over the death of the woman who had already completed her narrative function while he was still prisoner of the villain seemed at least fitting with the story.

thats not a fun Bond to watch to me

I don't know if "fun" was Skyfall's aim, so you're probably right.

then ultimately I think they missed the point of James Bond

The Moore films were "fun" and they were also horrible.

However, I'm of the opinion that outside of the Craig films there are only about three or four quality Bond films.

- From Russia With Love
    - Goldfinger
    - Thunderball
    - GoldenEye

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    There's a term for when you read a news story that pertains for your field of expertise, or at least a field in which you are competently knowledgeable, and realize it's a load of uninformed twaddle. Turning the page you find an article about which you have no knowledge and instantly assign the article authority on the subject.

What's the term?
    I feel like if he knew the term he would have used it.

• Options

What's the term?

I cannot for the life of me remember.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    the whiny tone of that Kotaku article was pretty hilarious, though.

"OH MY GOD THEY TOOK A COMPLICATED GAMING ISSUE AND MADE IT A CARTOON"

well, a), I don't think it's actually that complicated, but I suppose you probably don't want your site hacked by a bunch of subhuman monsters so w/e

but b) I don't think the real world really is under that much of an obligation to be fair to a hobby that constantly shits the bed in public

and c) welcome to law and order

Gamergate, for those of us on the outside of the "gamer culture" like me, is a fucking cartoon.

It just basically validates any previous gamer stereotypes.

• Options
    However, I'm of the opinion that outside of the Craig films there are only about three or four quality Bond films.

- From Russia With Love
    - Goldfinger
    - Thunderball
    - GoldenEye

This list says Thunderball when it should clearly say OHMSS. And The Spy Who Loved Me because that is hilarious. And probably The Living Daylights.

I kind of love all the Bond movies, though. Terrible ones right alongside the actually good ones.

• Options

Ice T is legit and pretty serious about the hobby, he probably wanted to bring some legitimacy to the episode, it's not like he got to see the end footage on those "games". The script seemed to retaliate against him and treat him like a 7 year old everytime he tried to make a point.

He was the only one in the episode that said "Hey, maybe we dont need to send a swat team to tackle someone on a live news interview when we get a payphone call about a hostage situation?" and they sail right past it and continue to talk about how the fiance was cuffed on the floor this whole time and we should probably go ahead and let him up.

To be fair about modern swatting, usually the trash making the call fakes a local number, and plays a soundboard of gunshots in the background.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The best James Bond is the one where he fights aliens

let me know which one that one is

In fact, let's just make it a Doctor Who episode

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Goddamn the anti-theist thread for making me post in a religious thread again.

sig.gif
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    My all time favorite gaming in cop show moment is when they were investigating a crime scene replicated in an MMO and to match conditions they had to "turn on the sun" stating they were "about to freak out millions of people"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

What's the term?

I cannot for the life of me remember.

The Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    xqJWqtbl.jpg

hhahahaha.

"major prize"

I had one of those. I had a bunch of movies for it too.

Still a little salty that Blu Ray won because HD-DVD was a more consumer friendly standard, BD-Live sucks, HD-DVD could press the SD and HD film on one disc, Blu Ray runs unskippable ads before the menu and HD-DVD had that as a move that violated the standard (beyond studio logos) before you reach the menu. Sure, Blu Ray had bigger potential discs, but for movies even that wasn't a win because Blu Ray had much shittier codec support at launch, so those 25-50 gig discs had terrible MPEG-2 rips on them, and the majority of blu ray discs were 25GB at the time with the majority of HD-DVD discs being 30GB DL.

Blu Ray won because Sony was willing to take a major financial bath to push a standard that was inferior in every single way

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I like to think Munch would be discussing the merits of Assassin's Creed's conspiracy.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    xqJWqtbl.jpg

hhahahaha.

"major prize"

I had one of those. I had a bunch of movies for it too.

Still a little salty that Blu Ray won because HD-DVD was a more consumer friendly standard, BD-Live sucks, HD-DVD could press the SD and HD film on one disc, Blu Ray runs unskippable ads before the menu and HD-DVD had that as a move that violated the standard (beyond studio logos) before you reach the menu. Sure, Blu Ray had bigger potential discs, but for movies even that wasn't a win because Blu Ray had much shittier codec support at launch, so those 25-50 gig discs had terrible MPEG-2 rips on them, and the majority of blu ray discs were 25GB at the time with the majority of HD-DVD discs being 30GB DL.

Blu Ray won because Sony was willing to take a major financial bath to push a standard that was inferior in every single way

the inferior format almost always wins

This discussion has been closed.