As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] that is not about Drake

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    is there a windows screenshotting utility that isn't an enormous pain in the ass?

currently if I want to snap a screen I have to

- hit Print Screen
    - open GIMP/Photoshop (wait 2 minutes for this)
    - create a new project and manually type in a resolution because these programs won't just default to my monitor resolution
    - paste, crop
    - export as an jpg or png
    - upload to imgur

i feel like this process should be shortened

It can be. You can paste directly to imgur and crop/change resolution there.

wait, this works now?

i used to try this all the time and it would just sit there.

THE DREAM LIVES

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, yes. P much every picture I put up on here I run through imgur so it's inside regs.

let me test this
    LM9u1sS.png

yessss

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    That's what the high contrast settings look like?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I GAVE SOMEONE USEFUL IT ADVICE

HOLY SHIT

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    is there a windows screenshotting utility that isn't an enormous pain in the ass?

- hit Print Screen
    - create a new project and manually type in a resolution because these programs won't just default to my monitor resolution
    - paste, crop
    - upload to imgur

It can be. You can paste directly to imgur and crop/change resolution there.

wait, this works now?

i used to try this all the time and it would just sit there.

THE DREAM LIVES

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, yes. P much every picture I put up on here I run through imgur so it's inside regs.

Only problem is there is a >90% chance someone will randomly click through imgur, fund your image, and masturbate to it, no matter what it is of.

Welcome to the internet

• Options
    Batman workout?

Why haven't I thought to look that up.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I GAVE SOMEONE USEFUL IT ADVICE

HOLY FART

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Chat
    A-Team intro on YouTube
    Shadowrun: Hong Kong on kickstarter
    Peter Molyneux interview in the guardian

Some top-notch tabbery there

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Haphazard wrote: »

In Chrome, yeah. In Firefox it darkens everything, including the page content, so some pages are way easier to read in Firefox - but if there are colored page elements being used as buttons etc, then they are invisible in Firefox (because they've been overridden by black), so I have to open those pages in Chrome. And for popular enough sites like PA, Facebook, Youtube, Amazon, etc, there are dark Stylish plugins that give me the contrast I need without blackening out the parts of the page I need to see. So I basically have to switch between both browsers pretty regularly.

• Options

In Chrome, yeah. In Firefox it darkens everything, including the page content, so some pages are way easier to read in Firefox - but if there are colored page elements being used as buttons etc, then they are invisible in Firefox (because they've been overridden by black), so I have to open those pages in Chrome. And for popular enough sites like PA, Facebook, Youtube, Amazon, etc, there are dark Stylish plugins that give me the contrast I need without blackening out the parts of the page I need to see. So I basically have to switch between both browsers pretty regularly.

Sucks. Way better than not being able to read at all, though.

• Options
    That Molyneux interview was brutal. Wouldn't it be nice to have interviewers like that in politics?

• Options

Sucks. Way better than not being able to read at all, though.

Oh, no, this is a serious improvement over this time last year when basically all I could read was PA, and that only on my phone.

Nothing on the internet is really beyond me these days, it just takes some extra clicks and inconvenience. Which, whatever.

• Options
    tumblr_n6z33qzKEn1qz8z2ro1_500.png

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I kinda feel bad for Molyneux, it seems like a basic character flaw that leads to him overhyping and underdelivering, but he's just so goddamned passionate. But kickstarting anything he's in charge of is the worst idea. He literally has an unbroken track record of not delivering, why would you give that guy a pledge!? And then announcing his new thing while the current one is still unfinished is kinda gross.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    If my experiences working with the partially sighted guy in our office are anything to go by, accessibility stuff generally blows

Because of disability discrimination regulations the company periodically pays for the RNIB to consult on workstation setup and their advice has consistently been that almost all accessibility software is awful and you're generally better just going with an enormous screen and sitting close to it, so he has dual 32" TVs as his monitors

They were also pretty scathing about our multi-million pound new software, which is web based but has formatting that breaks horribly outside IE or with larger font sizes/high contrast mode

They said "it's like 1997 all over again"

• Options
    edited February 2015
    That Molyneux interview was brutal. Wouldn't it be nice to have interviewers like that in politics?

Some game industry types have kind of closed ranks around Molyneux to protect one of their own from the Big Meanie, and I understand that impulse on a human level - it's no different then when I see bros who "work in Hollywood" as like, studio accountants or set dressers or janitors get bristly about perceived attacks on their tribe - but I also think it speaks to what a soft, compliant press they've come to expect

I mean, games journalism has never been my cause celebre since before gamergate or after, but some of the GODUS stuff was just so egregious and Peter Molyneux has been serially mendacious for twenty years now and I think with all that in the balance, sitting through a single uncomfortable interview is hardly a bridge too far.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Ooh. Mendacious. Saving that for later.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »

- hit Print Screen
    - paste, crop
    - upload to imgur

Both Photoshop and Windows paint will automatically change resolution on the project.

Hit Print Screen
    Open Paint
    Ctrl+v

doesn't mspaint just save as bitmaps?

Nope. Windows 7 paint lets you save as a .jpg or .gif.

It's a brave new world.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh there's also the Snipping Tool in modern versions of Windows, it lets you draw a border around a part of your screen and from the little program you can then copy it, save it (jpg included) or attach it in a mail via Outlook. I use it at my work all the time, because it's crazy easy to use.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
  • Options
    The snipping tool is so often referred to as the sniping tool at work...
    I had to drive the point home by printing out a rifle and scissors.

• Options
    Well, like, here is what frustrates me about the Molyneux thing is that some people seem to be coming away with the idea that like

- Kickstarter is the riskiest thing ever! watch out! (I mean, it can be, if you're donating to John Videogames.)
    - Game development is a magical mystery that can't possibly be planned for or budgeted for or whatever
    - Enthusiasm excuses all sins

and like, by contrast, because I literally have the Shadowrun HK tab open right now, here are some dudes who

- have delivered two products on Kickstarter successfully and in their scheduled timeframe and communicated with people about their budget and expectations
    - are enthusiastic as fuck
    - have a new project that made 1000% of its initial funding goal

and it's not going to be the top story anywhere because it doesn't feed into this popular conception that GENIUSES CAN'T BE HELD DOWN BY YOUR RULES, MANNNNN

• Options
    Molyneux strikes me as a brilliant creative visionary.
    Of course that doesn't mean he's automatically a good manager.
    That's what I'm reading of the interview... and decades of playing his games.

• Options
    The idea that it is impossible to predict reasonable timescales for implementation in software strikes me as really bizarre

Especially coming from someone who ran a studio

I mean, there are people out there whose whole job is project management, if you can't do it, hire someone who can and then listen to them

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    There's currently a campaign called "This Girl Can" on in the UK

It is so incredibly insulting to women. I honestly can't believe it was ever okayed at any level. I really don't think the problem of women not engaging in exercise is due to a perception that they are not allowed /able to participate in such activities.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Well

that Valentine's Day took a sudden turn for the absolute best ever

So that Ukrainian girl who I kept thinking was super wanting my d but then told me she didn't want my d?

She actually really did super want my d the whole time, and she absolutely got it last night

Now good lord am I tired

• Options
    Also I suppose being overenthusiastic with your promises is somewhat forgiveable on a personal level, not realising that people are going to hold you to them when you're asking them for money seems to signify a striking lack of awareness

I sort of get the impression that molyneux has spent so long being told he's a genius that it simply doesn't occur to him that there may be aspects of what he wants to do that would be better delegated to people who are more talented in that particular area

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    The idea that it is impossible to predict reasonable timescales for implementation in software strikes me as really bizarre

I mean, there are people out there whose whole job is project management, if you can't do it, hire someone who can and then listen to them

The gaming industry is an experiment to test how long an industry can survive without even mediocre levels of project management.

• Options

This should be a thing advertised in Kickstarters.

"Our game will have X and Y and tons of Z. It'll also be managed by the guy who managed these other successfully completed games."

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    OH is that what those ads are? I thought they were like, nightclubs or something? Cause the only one I've seen is "sweating like a pig, feeling like a fox" and a pic of this lady dancing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Well

that Valentine's Day took a sudden turn for the absolute best ever

So that Ukrainian girl who I kept thinking was super wanting my d but then told me she didn't want my d?

She actually really did super want my d the whole time, and she absolutely got it last night

Now good lord am I tired

"Adds a check-mark in the 'no means yes' column."

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Did Godus explode or something? I don't know why Pete Molyneux not being able to deliver his ideas is news now.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Did Godus explode or something? I don't know why Pete Molyneux not being able to deliver his ideas is news now.

Still not complete. Instead of completing it he has opted to begin a new kickstarter.

• Options
    I wonder if there's a workable business in providing project management consultancy to people that kickstarted something and are now in way over their heads

Like, a lot of horror stories seem to stem from a basic lack of experience about things like "how do I make sure I'm not ripped off by this supplier", and panicky decision making

Payment up front, naturally

• Options

It's possible that it's not a question of Molyneux not knowing this, or not having people around him who knew this or could do that kind of management - I think there is a chance that the set of perverse incentives to overpromise (to audiences) and underbid (to publishers) was just too seductive and gave him too much short-term leverage to be easily given up to some kind of babysitter. I mean, nobody really wants to hear from the guy whose job it is to constantly go "no, you can't do that. No, it's not in the budget. No, that's literally impossible" so anyone even trying to cast themselves in that role is starting at an automatic disadvantage whenever it comes time to disagree with the boss in front of the kids.

• Options
    Well wait, to be perfectly fair what she told me was that she wasn't ready to get involved with anyone right now, which I took as her letting me down easy.

Ends up last night she was ready.

• Options
    I wonder if there's a workable business in providing project management consultancy to people that kickstarted something and are now in way over their heads

Like, a lot of horror stories seem to stem from a basic lack of experience about things like "how do I make sure I'm not ripped off by this supplier", and panicky decision making

Payment up front, naturally

Yeah I had this thought myself, honestly.

• Options
    *googles Godus*

*starts to read this interview thing.*

huh.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    the molyneux thing is so frustrating because everyone called it from day one and he still received backing

• Options
    The Godus android game was actually fairly fun. For a tablet game, I mean.

• Options
    Seriously, though, there are like zero video games not made by a Japanese company that didn't have their scope changed or reworked over the course of the project. Do you know how tumultuous the development of Half-Life 2 was, or the Bioshock games? It's an incredibly common thing in video games, and they are a fundamentally different animal than other software projects.

This discussion has been closed.