Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Some of the stuff I have that improves visuals (that you haven't listed)

Characters:
    Coverkhajiits
    Ethereal Elven Overhaul
    Necromancy - Undead FX
    Superior Lore-Friendly Hair (Rough)
    Beards
    Brows
    The Eyes of Beauty

Environment:
    Better Dynamic Snow
    Ethereal Auroras
    Ethereal Clouds
    Moon Glow
    Rainbows
    Splash of Rain
    Shooting Stars
    No Snow Under the Roof
    SkyFalls + SkyMills
    Red Mountain Erupts
    Skyrealism - Grass
    Real Roads for Skyrim
    Skyrim Better Roads
    Lanterns of Skyrim
    Skyrim Flora Overhaul
    SNOW
    Windmills resized

Textures:
    Deadly Spell Impacts
    Enhanced Blood Textures
    Better Shadowmarks
    Designs of the Nords
    Dragon Glyphs HD - Fixed
    Enhanced Night Skyrim
    Fhaarkas Softer Animal Fur
    Finer Dust
    Hanging Moss replacer
    High Definition Ivy
    Nicer Snowflakes
    Real Ice
    Realistic Smoke and Embers
    Rens HD Shrines
    Rustic Windows
    Superior Rock Textures
    Ultimate HD Fire Effects
    Ultimate HD Torch
    Visible Windows

Man, that is a meaty list. I'm gonna dig into this when I get home. I've been trying to stay away from tiny mods that affect only one thing when it comes to visuals ("re-textures only green-colored bottles", "full bump-mapping for butterflies"), just because it seems like that's a good way to jam in 300 mods, but I guess running more Skyrim mods than you have dollars in the bank is kind of the name of the game.

Thank you for the list!

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    one thing I was wondering when you have the Vanilla HD texture packs where do they fall in priority to other texture packs.
    Files packed in .bsa archives (like the HD DLC) will load with the same priority as their associated .esp. Loose files override everything, regardless of load order.

Mod Organizer allows you to load .bsa archives directly, without loading an .esp (as long as the .esp didn't do anything else) and allows you to choose the order that they load in.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I kind of envy people just getting into Skyrim modding. They can take their time and do it right, with the huge library and all the utilities people have made to make it easy as possible. I'm pretty locked into the NMM infrastructure even though Mod Organizer sounds a lot better. It's basically just a big old interwoven house of ~200 cards. Sure it's stable now and I can add one or two here and there, maybe take off a couple near the top if I want to, but if I try to move the table that shit is falling over and hell if I know what all is in it for me to put it back together the same way again.

• Options
    ... I say, as I now can't load it without crashing on the main menu.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    ... I say, as I now can't load it without crashing on the main menu.

I keep saying to myself that the next time my Skyrim goes tits up and needs a reinstall I'm switching to MO.

Just hasn't happened yet. This may be your time.

• Options
    Nah, just a mod dependency/order issue as usual. I uninstalled Immersive Weapons because of all the good points you were making about it but forgot about Dual Sheath Redux which still had it as a required file. Repatched it to remove that dependency and everything's right in the world again.

TES5Edit is pretty great for telling you exactly where during the load process the game throws its hands in the air and gives up.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    why did steam just download 1.6gigs of skyrim updates?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Steam does that sometimes. No idea why.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Skyrim Flora Overhaul, if only for the giant lone pine trees they add to Whiterun Hold.

Falkreath is still my favorite Hold in the game, but boy the things that mod adds to Whiterun visually really gives it a run for its money.

careful with this one if you don't have a lot of VRAM its a pretty big system drain.

• Options
    I kind of envy people just getting into Skyrim modding. They can take their time and do it right, with the huge library and all the utilities people have made to make it easy as possible. I'm pretty locked into the NMM infrastructure even though Mod Organizer sounds a lot better. It's basically just a big old interwoven house of ~200 cards. Sure it's stable now and I can add one or two here and there, maybe take off a couple near the top if I want to, but if I try to move the table that shit is falling over and hell if I know what all is in it for me to put it back together the same way again.
    About a year ago, I picked out a weekend and dedicated it to fully migrating from NMM to MO. It wasn't very hard, but I was only running like ~80 mods. I'm not doing anything complicated with my mods, so I'm not sure that there's a direct benefit to migrating to MO, but it sure feels like the right thing to do.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Fffff I tried to go to sleep to level up in Morrowind the other day and that creepy voice in my head is like YO HEY, IN UR HEAD

And I'm like okay thanks old man

so I try to go to bed again AND AGAIN HE'S ALL YO
    HEY
    HEY LISTEN

So my poor character is now awake at 3 AM, hasn't gotten any rest

I go to sleep again

DARK BROTHERHOOD TRIES TO KILL ME

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Oh man, I got to Solstheim last night and damn, I just walked around for a bit taking in the old, familiar Morrowind architecture, guard armor, and what not. That felt like going home.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

A very big list of mods, most of which this thread is already running.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Fffff I tried to go to sleep to level up in Morrowind the other day and that creepy voice in my head is like YO HEY, IN UR HEAD

HEY
    HEY LISTEN

I go to sleep again

The first time Dark Brotherhood tries to kill you, you are shocked and thrilled at your survival. Every time after that you're happy because you're about to make bank pawning off the armor.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

HEY
    HEY LISTEN

I go to sleep again

The first time Dark Brotherhood tries to kill you, you are shocked and thrilled at your survival. Every time after that you're happy because you're about to make bank pawning off the armor.

Well, the first time, you're also thrilled that you're going to have a pretty massive upgrade in attire, and then immediately regret not going for a more assassin-y build.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Oh man, I got to Solstheim last night and damn, I just walked around for a bit taking in the old, familiar Morrowind architecture, guard armor, and what not. That felt like going home.

Yeah that's what happened to me too.

"Yeah, now I remember why I fucking hated that game."

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

HEY
    HEY LISTEN

I go to sleep again

Well, the first time, you're also thrilled that you're going to have a pretty massive upgrade in attire, and then immediately regret not going for a more assassin-y build.

I mean the first time ever. First time per character does indeed depend on your build.

Like at the moment I'm playing a sneaky stabby khajit. First thime she got jumped by an assassin, outside of the very first town, the whole fight was just gleefully eyeing my new armor as I stabbed at it.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

HEY
    HEY LISTEN

I go to sleep again

I mean the first time ever. First time per character does indeed depend on your build.

Like at the moment I'm playing a sneaky stabby khajit. First thime she got jumped by an assassin, outside of the very first town, the whole fight was just gleefully eyeing my new armor as I stabbed at it.

Haha yep, I'm playing a sneaky shooty khajit, so the armor is perfect for me.

I also randomly found an ebony shortblade with like, 10—27 base attack randomly sitting up on a mountain somewhere, so I'm actually kind of ridiculous. When I can actually hit anything, anyway.

• Options
    Default or lightly modded Morrowind was special to me in that I had to work and scavenge to get all those armor pieces. It felt awesome to find a Daedric Pauldron deep in a dungeon, to artfully steal another from a telvanni councillor's room through magic and guile. Raiding the Redoran vaults....then all the others. It fucking ruled.

So that Japanese monster pack is mostly working,
    ?.jpeg
    ?.jpeg
    although I think I will tinker with it in the future and keep a private version for playing. Why this bastard and his ilk aren't spitting at me, I do not know. I guess the author never saw Jurrasic Park.
    ?.jpeg

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Because those aren't the Jurassic Park dinosaurs, they're Great Jaggis from the Monster Hunter series.

• Options
    That might explain why he doesn't have a Nexus account, much of his stuff is ripped from other games. Which is a big no no on Nexus to protect the entire site from angry lawyers.

It pisses some people off but is a necessary evil considering how big its gotten.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    It's pretty funny how hard you have to work to get a house you technically own in Morrowind. Then in Bloodmoon people are throwing them at you left and right.

The whole DLC makes me wonder if you are supposed to go there fairly early in your game and just space out doing the quests throughout your play-through. Because whoo-boy that final dungeon was way out of balance with the rest of the DLC.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The best mod is the flying broom.

This comes from someone who felt Levitation was gamebreaking and was glad they removed it after a Morrowind.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

This comes from someone who felt Levitation was gamebreaking and was glad they removed it after a Morrowind.

It helps that they didn't make another city like Vivec.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    McHoger wrote: »
    It's pretty funny how hard you have to work to get a house you technically own in Morrowind. Then in Bloodmoon people are throwing them at you left and right.

There's a mod for that! It has made my life WAY easier, because I don't have to be a hobo.

Wait is this a Morrowind mod

where do I get it

I need it, because Fucking Vivec

• Options

There's a mod for that! It has made my life WAY easier, because I don't have to be a hobo.

where do I get it

No sorry I was talking about Skyrim.

But Morrowind has Levitation, does it not?

• Options

where do I get it

No sorry I was talking about Skyrim.

But Morrowind has Levitation, does it not?

There's a shrine in Vivec city, beneath the floating bit and before you reach his palace. Go there with a levitation potion bought from a store (value doesn't matter) and you fly for hours.

Equip the boots of blinding speed and you zoom for hours.

Track down cliff racers and make it rain burning cliff racer corpses.

Hence, why I didn't hate the bastards. Hell, I would superman my way to the dungeons...fuck, the entire game plays better if you have the power of flight and have to become a better fighter.......that's....actually a pretty awesome game. There's even webcomics that you could base it around....

Oh wait, that's what Aion was all about, how did that feel to play?

• Options
    Levitation broke Morrowind
    Chameleon broke Oblivion

Thank god they took that shit away. Like, Dwemer ruins were completely pointless in Morrowind if you had the Boots of Blinding Speed, something to counteract the blind effect with, and Levitation.

Anyway, in Skyrim, after 180 hours of playtime, modding in flight just feels so right. There's so many goddamned quests, and you're the Dragonborn anyway, so fuck not flying. At least not outdoors, and after you've already done a lot of stuff in the game.

• Options
    Your money or your life is awesome until I get stuck in the black. Did manage to kill a bandit from that. Blindness should be a character trait.

• Options
    Levitation broke Morrowind
    Chameleon broke Oblivion

Thank god they took that shit away. Like, Dwemer ruins were completely pointless in Morrowind if you had the Boots of Blinding Speed, something to counteract the blind effect with, and Levitation.

Anyway, in Skyrim, after 180 hours of playtime, modding in flight just feels so right. There's so many goddamned quests, and you're the Dragonborn anyway, so fuck not flying. At least not outdoors, and after you've already done a lot of stuff in the game.
    Yeah, but maxed-out Enchanting and Blacksmithing also break Skyrim, and for my money, levitation is a MUCH more interesting game-breaking feature to have than say the wacky bonuses maxed out Enchanting lets you have.

Like, levitation created an entirely different way to interact with the world. It was one of my favorite things about that game. I feel like I would be OK with some game feature/subsystem trivializing some aspect of the game if it also unlocked another dimension of the game world - in the case of levitation/flight, literally. Yes, it trivialized combat, but it now let you explore otherwise-unexplorable caverns, and let you fly up to inaccessible mountaintops for amazing views. Skyrim's game-breaking feature lets me... stunlock dragons with cost-free destruction spells. Not quite the same thing.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Yeah when I stumbled into combining the Boots of Blinding Speed with a one point constant effect levitation effect to make flight a viable travel option it was a magical moment.

This was on console where cheats weren't an option.

august on
  • Options
    I mean it's definitely a bummer that there are places that are SO inconvenient without always-on levitation.

But, to be perfectly honest, I think Vivec is raaaaad. For me, it was worth the inconvenience because it was such a different and interesting city design, and because it looked so striking.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    If another bethesda game was to bring back long term levitation spells, I would rather it be tied strongly to the alteration tree or specific artifacts. Make it something you have to work for.

edit: Okay, the Japanese ripped monster pack I linked earlier does have one rather glaring flaw.

There are no custom giblets to harvest
    I don't think I've heard custom sounds
    There was 50,000 gold pieces on the "Evil Werewolves."

Nicely ripped assets but poor balance.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    That's not even poor balance. Poor balance is immersive armors and weapons vendoring for 50-100% more than their equivalent vanilla items.

A mob dropping 50k septims is just a cheat. Might as well open the console and type player.additem f 50000

• Options
    Where the heck do I find the Boots of Blinding Speed?

In other news someone from House Hlaalu just gave me glass armor that... included boots... I'm a Khajit. No merchant I've found has enough money to buy them off me. :( Eh, well, glass armor. Dark Brotherhood can suck it.

And in other other news, holy crap, Crassius Curio is an absolutely disgusting NPC. It does seem that he gives the same super gross treatment to male characters as to female characters, but as a woman playing a female character, a woman who has had to suffer gross bosses trying to solicit ~lol favors~ for promotion, this was just... wow. Had fucking war flashbacks.

Maybe after I own House Hlaalu I can just murder the gross bastard.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think you can find the Boots of Blinding Speed on an NPC on the road between Caldera and Gnaar Mok. There's also a naked Nord nearby.

As far as selling those glass boots, you can do a trick with Creeper (or any merchant, but it works best with him). Sell him a bunch of smaller things, wait until his gold resets, buy those small things and you should be able to sell the boots. Wait until his gold resets again and sell the small things again. Alternatively, just get a mod that gives merchants way more gold because holy shit does that method get tedious.

And, finally, you can kill Crassius whenever the hell you want. There are no essential NPCs in Morrowind. It just might make it harder to beat the main quest (as in you might have to skip a bunch of stuff and kind of brute force it).

• Options
    The only time I actually beat Morrowind was by brute forcing it, killing Vivec for the glove etc.

The whole byzantine standard path through the game is really beyond me, I never even came close TBH.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The only time I actually beat Morrowind was by brute forcing it, killing Vivec for the glove etc.

The whole byzantine standard path through the game is really beyond me, I never even came close TBH.

I have no idea how close I came but it's definitely much more involved. No one just accepts that you're the Nevarrine at face value, they make you work for it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    You guys should do the main quest because you get to be declared the Hortator and Hortator is a badass word.

• Options
    Yeah I'm gonna wait to kill Crassius until I've done all his quests. He can name me Horator and Grandmaster of House Hlaalu and then he will have outlived his usefulness.

This discussion has been closed.