Options

Wii: 6 Months Later

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    I really wish the Wii would tell me how much time I have spent on it in total and also give me a day by day chart of the amount of hours spent playing the games. Maybe even make a wii channel that allows you to upload your information to a website that tracks the average hours per person.

God damnit, they really dropped the ball with their online.
    The fact that the Wii doesn't record the time you played GC games makes me irrationally angry.

That would be so cool.

Elendil on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really wish the Wii would tell me how much time I have spent on it in total and also give me a day by day chart of the amount of hours spent playing the games. Maybe even make a wii channel that allows you to upload your information to a website that tracks the average hours per person.

I hope those two thoughts are separate, because I think it's ridiculous to complain that "their online" sucks because it doesn't have some indepth chart-tracking doohickey that uploads to some website to produce stats. If you want to complain about "dropping the ball," then complain about Friend Codes or something.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

I hope those two thoughts are separate, because I think it's ridiculous to complain that "their online" sucks because it doesn't have some indepth chart-tracking doohickey that uploads to some website to produce stats. If you want to complain about "dropping the ball," then complain about Friend Codes or something.

Two seperate thoughts.

Couscous on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just want something that satisfies three requirements.

1 - Good Game
    2 - Not a collection of mini-games
    3 - Not meant for the Cube

Its not that much to ask and its ridiculous that its 6 months later and I got nothin'
    "It was really meant for the Cube, so it can't be a real Wii game" is bullshit. It's the execution that matters, not the original intent during production. Otherwise, Halo doesn't count as a good Xbox game, because it was originally "meant for" the Mac.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »

1 - Good Game

Its not that much to ask and its ridiculous that its 6 months later and I got nothin'
    "It was really meant for the Cube, so it can't be a real Wii game" is bullshit. It's the execution that matters, not the original intent during production. Otherwise, Halo doesn't count as a good Xbox game, because it was originally "meant for" the Mac.

Thats not it at all.

While I agree that you are right, it does bring up the question of "what are games for the wii going to look like when they are built from the ground up."

So far, the answer has been "underwhelming."

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

1 - Good Game

Thats not it at all.

While I agree that you are right, it does bring up the question of "what are games for the wii going to look like when they are built from the ground up."

Except that how a game looks is not what defines it as being built from the ground up. Seriously, if you don't like something, there's nothing forcing you to own/play it. Just leave it be.

This will be a broad generalization, but I'd say there's a good chance I'm right. But it's amazing how many overweight guys living in their parents' basement hold "looks" as their number 1 concern. You'd think that they'd hope that something other than looks would hold more importance in life.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

1 - Good Game

Thats not it at all.

What was wrong with them?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really don't see how a game coming from the Cube should matter. I mean, Paper Mario was originally a Gamecube game, but you can't exactly play it on the Gamecube now, can you? It's still a good game so I don't see why it should matter if a game like that was originally meant for another console.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guys, Eternal Darkness sucked because it was totally meant to be an N64 game. Stupid Nintendo.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I remember when the Wii controller was first announced, a major concern was that you wouldn't be able to play "traditional" games like RPGs on the Wii. Games like Super Paper Mario that were originally meant for the GameCube and are not waggle-heavy prove that we'll still be able to enjoy more traditional games along side the ones built for the controller like Elebits. A good example is the upcoming Fire Emblem game.

Taya on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It not necessarily that a game was intended for the Cube, but whether or not it uses the Wii's features well. We all know that waggle is THE selling point of Wii games, it certainly isn't improved graphics.

edit: That doesn't make traditional games on the Wii bad, but it isn't unreasonable to want terrific waggle centric games. That's why we bought the Wii.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Svevin wrote: »

1 - Good Game

Thats not it at all.

Except that how a game looks is not what defines it as being built from the ground up. Seriously, if you don't like something, there's nothing forcing you to own/play it. Just leave it be.

This board is always so obtuse...

i'm not talking about graphics. I'm talking about a full on NINTENDO game that is built with ONLY the wii in mind.

As ridiculous as that sounds, its been 8 months and we still haven't seen one.

(Im not saying I didn't enjoy the hell out of Zelda and Paper Mario, just that we haven't seen what it is capable of and that worries me.)

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Svevin wrote: »

1 - Good Game

Thats not it at all.

This board is always so obtuse...

i'm not talking about graphics. I'm talking about a full on NINTENDO game that is built with ONLY the wii in mind.

As ridiculous as that sounds, its been 8 months and we still haven't seen one.

(Im not saying I didn't enjoy the hell out of Zelda and Paper Mario, just that we haven't seen what it is capable of and that worries me.)

EXCITETRUCK MOTHERFUCKER

I swear to god, no matter how many times I say it, no one every fucking listens, or plays this GEM of a FROM THE GROUND UP WII DESIGNED GAME.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm talking about a full on NINTENDO game that is built with ONLY the wii in mind.
    Wii Play, Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Wario Ware, Mario Party 8, the Wii version of Big Brain Academy, Fire Emblem, Mario Strikers.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    It not necessarily that a game was intended for the Cube, but whether or not it uses the Wii's features well. We all know that waggle is THE selling point of Wii games, it certainly isn't improved graphics.

edit: That doesn't make traditional games on the Wii bad, but it isn't unreasonable to want terrific waggle centric games. That's why we bought the Wii.
    I'm sorry, but no, this makes no sense. You're contradicting yourself. You say it's important for a Wii game to use the Wii's features well, and then you say traditional games are fine, and then you immediately contradict that statement by implying that we aren't getting enough motion-control games that utilize the system. Which is it?

The bottom line is, plenty of games have come out that utilize the motion capabilities of the Wii, but not all of them have to. Look at the DS. What are some of the most popular games on the system? New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart 64, the Castlevania games, etc... these titles have little or no use for the touch screen (or even a second screen in general), but does that mean that they're a waste on the DS? And does that mean that no games are being released for the DS that DO take advantage of the DS' features?

Come on, this is a ridiculous argument. I don't think anyone bought a Wii so that motion-control would be tacked on to every single game we buy. We bought a Wii for the fun and original games that we would get to play on that system, regardless of how well they utilize the system's features.

And for God's sake, would people stop saying "waggle"? It hurts my brain every time I see it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You say it's important for a Wii game to use the Wii's features well, and then you say traditional games are fine, and then you immediately contradict that statement by implying that we aren't getting enough motion-control games that utilize the system. Which is it?
    I'm not seeing the contradiction. Traditional games are fine, but waggle-based games are important for a system like the Wii. I want more great games built up with motion control in mind. There is no contradiction there.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm talking about a full on NINTENDO game that is built with ONLY the wii in mind.
    Wii Play, Wii Sports, and Excite Truck.

And they are all three rather shallow.

I know, I know, they take skill...and wii sports is more deep that what meets the eye, but they are still overall, quite shallow games that are amusing. I still haven't seen anything that is a classic.

...or even close to a classic.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I know, I know, they take skill...and wii sports is more deep that what meets the eye, but they are still overall, quite shallow games that are amusing. I still haven't seen anything that is a classic.

Wario Ware, Mario Party 8, the Wii version of Big Brain Academy, Fire Emblem, and Mario Strikers.

Who the fuck cares if a game is "shallow" as long as the game is fun for a decent amount of time? What does a game being classic have to do with anything? How many "classic" games were released on any console by the console maker in the first eight months of any console since the 16-bit era? Other than one or two games, there is usually very little.

Stop adding retarded restrictions every time someone points out how wrong you are.

Couscous on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, quit all the Wii bitching. If you can point me at a console, within 8 months of its life, had as much fun games as the Wii does (single and multiplayer) then please point me at it.

Till then I'll keep playing RE4:WE, TP, Mario Party 8, Elebits, Trauma Center, Metal Slug Anthology, Wii Sports, Wii Play, WarioWare, and Excite Truck... And assume no other console has such a great mass of games.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Wario Ware, Mario Party 8, the Wii version of Big Brain Academy, Fire Emblem, and Mario Strikers.

Who the fuck cares if a game is "shallow" as long as the game is fun for a decent amount of time?

uh, me.

...and a lot of others.

Shallow games are fine as a distraction, but when thats the only thing on your console, its going to get stale.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "And assume no other console has such a great mass of games."

"Assume" being the key word. I'm love my Wii, but that doesn't mean it can't be criticized.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Who the fuck cares if a game is "shallow" as long as the game is fun for a decent amount of time?

uh, me.

...and a lot of others.

Shallow games are fine as a distraction, but when thats the only thing on your console, its going to get stale.
    Luckily those aren't the only games on the console. Who would have ever thought that there are other producers for a system other than the console producer? Amazing but true!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

So, you've never played ExciteTruck then?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007

"Assume" being the key word. I'm love my Wii, but that doesn't mean it can't be criticized.

I can't understand all the Nazism over a very valid concern.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You say it's important for a Wii game to use the Wii's features well, and then you say traditional games are fine, and then you immediately contradict that statement by implying that we aren't getting enough motion-control games that utilize the system. Which is it?
    I'm not seeing the contradiction. Traditional games are fine, but waggle-based games are important for a system like the Wii. I want more great games built up with motion control in mind. There is no contradiction there.
    You originally said "We all bought a Wii for the motion-controls", but then you said "non-motion-control games are fine", and then you said, "but motion-control games are what we all want". The contradiction isn't that both can exist on the system (they can, and they should), the contradiction is your implication that games have to utilize the motion stuff to be a true Wii game, but then claim traditional games are fine on the system too.

Wait, Wii Sports isn't a classic? One of the best selling games in Japan, and hailed by some as the best game ever, Wii Sports, isn't a classic? What?

And Excite Truck is much deeper than you give it credit for. But even if it were shallow, just because a game is shallow doesn't mean it can't be a great game. I'd say Katamari Damacy and Guitar Hero are pretty shallow games, but I doubt you'd find many people who wouldn't call them classics. A game doesn't have to be a 100-hour epic to be considered a classic.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I'm just saying I don't understand all the hate.

I'm having a blast playing my Wii. If you don't like it, then play another console till you get bored of that... then you can come back to the Wii when good games (that you like) come out, and play that till you get bored, then switch again.

I've been doing that since the SNES era. Why do people think that one console should be able to suffice them for 5+ years. No other console has done that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

I think this is your problem.

You're seeing it as "hate." Its not.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited June 2007

What would you call it then? Criticism? Why aren't there other threads for other consoles then? Or is it because we already know every fault for the 360/PS3, that we have to delve into the obvious Wii faults?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

The reason you're catching flak here is because your "concerns" are fairly dumb. Look, no one is saying the Wii is perfect. There are plenty of things concerning the Wii I can be critical about, too. However, the problem most people are having with you is that your problems with the system make no sense, and when the flaws in your arguments keep getting pointed out, you keep backtracking and adding more and more restrictions until no game in the universe could ever meet your expectation of a perfect Wii game.

The bottom line is, there are plenty of great games out on the Wii, and they are experiences you aren't going to find on any other system. Just because those games don't meet your mile-high standards of perfection, it doesn't mean they aren't still objectively good games. It just means that you have some insane standard that nothing on the system will probably ever live up to.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2007

What would you call it then? Criticism? Why aren't there other threads for other consoles then? Or is it because we already know every fault for the 360/PS3, that we have to delve into the obvious Wii faults?

...are....are you serious?

....I mean did you even read that post before you sent it?

People have concerns about both of those systems and talk about them all the time. And why the hell is it so bad to talk about the faults of the Wii? We can't discuss anything negative? What is this, support group?

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OneEyedJack's being perfectly reasonable. The Wii needs more first-party games that use the motion controls. Luckily, we're getting them - Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros (debatable on the controls however) and Mario Galaxy. Those are three huge games that are presumably taking up a lot of Nintendo's development capacity for deep games.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OneEyedJack's being perfectly reasonable. The Wii needs more first-party games that use the motion controls. Luckily, we're getting them - Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros (debatable on the controls however) and Mario Galaxy. Those are three huge games that are presumably taking up a lot of Nintendo's development capacity for deep games.
    It's reasonable to expect them to be on the way. It's unreasonable to expect all of them to be out in the first six months. And when good first-party games that HAVE been released are pointed out to him, it's unreasonable for him to label all of them with a long list of negative qualifiers that don't matter.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Guys, Eternal Darkness sucked because it was totally meant to be an N64 game. Stupid Nintendo.
    This reminds me how Star Fox Adventures was also suppose to be an N64 game.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's reasonable to expect them to be on the way. It's unreasonable to expect all of them to be out in the first six months. And when good first-party games that HAVE been released are pointed out to him, it's unreasonable for him to label all of them with a long list of negative qualifiers that don't matter.

When I got my Wii I flicked over to IGN's review page to see what they'd scored 9 or over. That the only two games there are both Gamecube ports does say something, I think. Wii Sports and Wario Ware asides, third-parties seem to be making better use of the Wiimote than Nintendo! eg, Elebits and Trauma Centre. It doesn't help TC isn't even out here in Europe yet either..

If anything has proven historically to be a valid concern with Nintendo's systems, it's the lack of 1st party software. You were still all being dicks to OneEyedJack. :P Criticism isn't the same as hate.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

When I got my Wii I flicked over to IGN's review page to see what they'd scored 9 or over. That the only two games there are both Gamecube ports does say something, I think. Wii Sports and Wario Ware asides, third-parties seem to be making better use of the Wiimote than Nintendo! eg, Elebits and Trauma Centre. It doesn't help TC isn't even out here in Europe yet either..

If anything has proven historically to be a valid concern with Nintendo's systems, it's the lack of 1st party software. You were still all being dicks to OneEyedJack. :P Criticism isn't the same as hate.
    How do you reconcile this with the historical complaint that it's usually Nintendo's first party software successes that discourages third party support?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Wait. I thought everyone was mad at Nintendo for LACKING 3rd Party Support... not the fact that they don't have alot of 1st party support.

Otherwise known as: Buh? O_o

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wait. I thought everyone was mad at Nintendo for LACKING 3rd Party Support... not the fact that they don't have alot of 1st party support.

Otherwise known as: Buh?

People get annoyed at Nintendo for both! Their 1st party games are great, but they've had such huge gaps between them at times. The big 3 Wii games already mentioned are coming out for the Wii over a space of six months or so it seems, so the Wii will be doing well in that regard for the near future at least.

Of course, there will be less complaints about 1st-party gaps if they're filled by 3rd-parties - which the launch period has been. It'd have been pretty sparse picking with just Wii Sports, Wario Ware and Excitetruck.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    How do you reconcile this with the historical complaint that it's usually Nintendo's first party software successes that discourages third party support?

By pointing out how the latter complaint is a bullshit excuse by unimaginative and fickle games companies. If that standard were applied universally, no-one would make shooters for the 360, since there's already lots of good ones on that system that consumers will buy instead. Companies only complain about competition in that manner when it comes to Nintendo for some reason.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, so how do you explain the fact that the first party Nintendo games are some of the most successful on Nintendo systems? (see: Zelda, Mario, Metroid, SSB, etc) I do agree that the excuse is bullshit, I'm just saying that first party is usually quite successful.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anything good ever been released against a Nintendo product on their own system?
    I can't think of any right now, but there's got to be something.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You just failed the internet.

Regardless of the validity or invalidity of your concerns, none of them will be taken seriously anymore because you had to go there and compare a disagreement about videogames to one of the greatest atrocities of recorded history.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg