Wii: 6 Months Later

1121314151618»

• Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    "And assume no other console has such a great mass of games."

"Assume" being the key word. I'm love my Wii, but that doesn't mean it can't be criticized.

I can't understand all the Nazism over a very valid concern.

You just failed the internet.

Regardless of the validity or invalidity of your concerns, none of them will be taken seriously anymore because you had to go there and compare a disagreement about videogames to one of the greatest atrocities of recorded history.

My concerns are valid whether you have a stick up your ass or not.

And Nazist wasn't an atrocity. It was a political movement based on thought control and authoritarianism.

You're talking about the same thing, but for a completely different reason.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Okay, so how do you explain the fact that the first party Nintendo games are some of the most successful on Nintendo systems? (see: Zelda, Mario, Metroid, SSB, etc) I do agree that the excuse is bullshit, I'm just saying that first party is usually quite successful.

Well look at it this way: some of the very most successful games on the PS2 were:
    GTA: Vice City
    GTA: San Andreas
    Gran Turismo 3
    Final Fantasy X
    Now, looking at that list, would a game company say it's logical to conclude that making a racer, an RPG or a sandbox game for the PS2 - given that those heavy-hitters will sell the most - is a bad idea? Of course not.

If sales of the consoles were the same, it'd be every bit as logical to develop for the Gamecube, since you wouldn't have to compete with Square! There will always be games that sell the most on a system, and they probably won't be yours. Whether Nintendo out-sells you or Square or Rockstar do is pretty irrelevant.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    "And assume no other console has such a great mass of games."

"Assume" being the key word. I'm love my Wii, but that doesn't mean it can't be criticized.

I can't understand all the Nazism over a very valid concern.

You just failed the internet.

Regardless of the validity or invalidity of your concerns, none of them will be taken seriously anymore because you had to go there and compare a disagreement about videogames to one of the greatest atrocities of recorded history.

My concerns are valid whether you have a stick up your ass or not.

And Nazist wasn't an atrocity. It was a political movement based on thought control and authoritarianism.

You're talking about the same thing, but for a completely different reason.

You invoked Godwin's Law. For reference:
    As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Now, looking at that list, would a game company say it's logical to conclude that making a racer, an RPG or a sandbox game for the PS2 - given that those heavy-hitters will sell the most - is a bad idea? Of course not.
    Other than GTA, what sandbox games for the PS2 have been decently successful? As for RPGs, most don't sell that well in NA and Europe except for a few big budget ones.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Other than GTA, what sandbox games for the PS2 have been decently successful?

Yakuza, The Getaway and True Crime all shifted over a million. I'm sure there's more.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Other than GTA, what sandbox games for the PS2 have been decently successful?

Yakuza, The Getaway and True Crime all shifted over a million. I'm sure there's more.

Honestly, I've never heard of the first two.D:

urahonky on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Has anything good ever been released against a Nintendo product on their own system?
    I can't think of any right now, but there's got to be something.

Does Goldeneye count? I mean, it wasn't directly Nintendo in any way but it pretty much defined FPS on the N64 and if someone said N64 game the first thought was Goldeneye for quite a while.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    OneEyedJack's being perfectly reasonable. The Wii needs more first-party games that use the motion controls. Luckily, we're getting them - Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros (debatable on the controls however) and Mario Galaxy. Those are three huge games that are presumably taking up a lot of Nintendo's development capacity for deep games.
    It's reasonable to expect them to be on the way. It's unreasonable to expect all of them to be out in the first six months. And when good first-party games that HAVE been released are pointed out to him, it's unreasonable for him to label all of them with a long list of negative qualifiers that don't matter.

You really think Wii Play is an example of a good first party game?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OneEyedJack's being perfectly reasonable. The Wii needs more first-party games that use the motion controls. Luckily, we're getting them - Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros (debatable on the controls however) and Mario Galaxy. Those are three huge games that are presumably taking up a lot of Nintendo's development capacity for deep games.
    It's reasonable to expect them to be on the way. It's unreasonable to expect all of them to be out in the first six months. And when good first-party games that HAVE been released are pointed out to him, it's unreasonable for him to label all of them with a long list of negative qualifiers that don't matter.

If it didn't come with a controller: no

So it does come with one, so yes. :) Plus the tank game is worth $10 itself.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Why don't you just throw the Wiimote on there on your list of "good" first party titles? I mean, you might as well while we're making such leaps in logic. emot-slowjerkgif.gif

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Why don't you just throw the Wiimote on there on your list of "good" first party titles? I mean, you might as well while we're making such leaps in logic. emot-slowjerkgif.gif

... it was a joke.

Sorry, didn't add my sarcastic tags.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Honestly, it was "buy a wiimote and get a free game."
    I don't think anyone who's played it could claim with a straight face that Wii Play would be worth buying if it didn't come with a remote.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I don't think anyone who's played it could claim with a straight face that Wii Play would be worth buying if it didn't come with a remote.

I wouldn't put it past some of the people in this forum.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Did I say Wii Play specifically? See, this is why I hate these discussions. Instead of obvious examples like Wii Sports, Excite Truck, and Super Paper Mario, you went and picked the one example that might be an exception and act like it was the only game I was talking about. This is what makes it impossible to discuss this type of thing here.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Honestly, I get more use out of Wii Play than almost anything on my Wii. It's a great quick, pickup game for people. My girlfriend loves the matching game (or the "visual identification task game" as she calls it, because it reminds her of things they do in her research). I don't know that I would have paid $50 for it without a controller, but thankfully it doesn't come without one, so I didn't have to make that decision.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I wouldn't put it past some of the people in this forum.

Like me. I think it would be worth buying. As long as it still cost $10 like it does now. It's definitely given me $10 worth of enjoyment.

I'm not crazy enough to think that it would be worth $50 alone ... but then again neither is Nintendo, so it's a pretty damned moot point now isn't it?

It would be like me ranting and raving about how the PS3 isn't worth $1200. They're not selling it for that much, so it's a retarded statement to make.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Has anything good ever been released against a Nintendo product on their own system?

Does Goldeneye count? I mean, it wasn't directly Nintendo in any way but it pretty much defined FPS on the N64 and if someone said N64 game the first thought was Goldeneye for quite a while.

Goldeneye was Nintendo.
    But all the other FPS weren't. Were there any of note besides Turok?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Goldeneye was Nintendo.
    But all the other FPS weren't. Were there any of note besides Turok?

Goldeneye was Rare.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I seriously, along with ethelred, don't really get why you guys are all jumping on OneeyedJack. Personally, I agree with him 100%. I find most of the Wii's library to not meet my *insane* standards of quality. I guess I just don't like forking out 50$ for a (debatably) *good* game. And while I completely respect that other people are enjoying their Wiis, and am glad they're doing so, does that make my lack of enjoyment any less valid? Is it wrong to be dissappointed by a console without having to lie to yourself to validate the purchase? And I'm not saying that's what people who are enoying their Wiis are doing, but that's what I would be doing.

Profs on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Profs wrote: »
    I seriously, along with ethelred, don't really get why you guys are all jumping on OneeyedJack. Personally, I agree with him 100%. I find most of the Wii's library to not meet my *insane* standards of quality. I guess I just don't like forking out 50$ for a (debatably) *good* game. And while I completely respect that other people are enjoying their Wiis, and am glad they're doing so, does that make my lack of enjoyment any less valid? Is it wrong to be dissappointed by a console without having to lie to yourself to validate the purchase? And I'm not saying that's what people who are enoying their Wiis are doing, but that's what I would be doing.

I think two points need to be made here:

One, there is a good selection of high quality titles. The issue is they're so spread out amongst most of the popular genres and a few wtfinsane wii-only genres, not that there aren't a lot of them.

Two, it doesn't fucking matter what platform the game started as, what matters is what it was released on.

With that said, if you don't find enough within your range of preferred genres to enjoy the Wii, fine, be that way. Me, I've got a LOT of games to catch up on.

yalborap on
  • Options
    GoofballGoofball Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Ditto here on the quality thing. I find myself browsing in the store looking for something new and then going "Nah, I'll just wait for a price drop or rent it, game X just isn't worth 30-50$". I'm not disappointed in the console itself, I've had a lot of fun with it so far. I find myself supplementing the lack of full games I am interested in at a price where I don't feel like I am getting ripped off with nostalgia games off of the Virtual Console.

As far as anonymous internet forum posters jumping all over other people with an opinion that doesn't support the product they vehemently defend because they are consumer-droid, leg humping, close-minded knuckle draggers see here. (Go run-on sentence GO!)

Goofball on
    Twitter: @TheGoofball
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    re4 rekindled my appreciation for the wii.

looking forward to alien syndrome, strikers, and prime 3.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Goofball wrote: »

Ditto here on the quality thing. I find myself browsing in the store looking for something new and then going "Nah, I'll just wait for a price drop or rent it, game X just isn't worth 30-50$". I'm not disappointed in the console itself, I've had a lot of fun with it so far. I find myself supplementing the lack of full games I am interested in at a price where I don't feel like I am getting ripped off with nostalgia games off of the Virtual Console.

As far as anonymous internet forum posters jumping all over other people with an opinion that doesn't support the product they vehemently defend because they are consumer-droid, leg humping, close-minded knuckle draggers see here. (Go run-on sentence GO!)

Y'see, I don't jump on people, I came up with a counter arguement listing my favourite games at the moment. On the flip side I recently joined a game rental place and have actually now quit because there just aren't enough titles for me to warrant the membership. Whilst browsing the Wii titles I found an awful lot of dross and that by-and-large I already had the good titles that I wanted.

So yes, there are a lot of bad titles at the moment but the one's I've paid for, with the sole exception of Spider-Man 3 which I traded in days later, I am very satisfied with. It's just there's not a lot else out there at the moment.

That said Resident Evil 4 and Trauma Center are getting a UK release now, if Manhunt 2 ever makes it out there's another must-buy (for me) title so there are three I have to save for. I'm also fully modded now so I can start making the most of import titles.

And during the dry spots between these releases, I still have plenty to play as my gaming time isn't overly plentiful, and if I get bored there's always Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Mario 64 and over a hundred other VC games.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch