Options

Wii: 6 Months Later

• Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had a wii at launch and really haven't played it all since I beat Zelda, discounting the occasional game of wii bowling with the wife. There just aren't any games out there that interest me. They are all crappy ports or DS-like games. Wow, a virtual cooking game...sign me up...

I still like the system, but the lack of titles is disappointing.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still mad at my Wii over my first prediction error on the Everybody Votes Channel last week, it ruined my perfect record. Other than that, it still finds alot of use, as my house seems to be in a constant state of visitation. I could almost state for certain that my Wii is being played right now, while I'm at work. A few of my friends are nuts over that DBZ game, regardless of the fact that I don't care too much for it (it's fine, but quite shallow, really. A bajillion characters, but they've all got the same moves?) Too bad there's no achievments, because I know I'd never have the patience to finish the story mode on that one.

From the moment I heard about the Wii, I thought it would be pretty popular, but I had no idea people would still have a hard time finding it half a year later. I own more games than I should, but I like them all, and I guess it's just a matter of taste. There is not nearly enough love for Elebits, though, and I can't wait for a refined Elebits 2. Sonic, SSX, Excite Truck, Tiger Woods, SPM, Zelda, Cooking Mama, Trauma Center (added value for not playing the DS versions) etc, and the VC? I still can't understand it when I hear of a 'drought'. Needs more shooting/racing games?

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If I had not spent those 21 hours outside a Wal-Mart in a cold and windy Wisconsin November, one of the more miserable attempts at sleep I've had in my entire life... I still would not have a Wii, because I haven't seen one in the wild since. I've never seen anything like it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As a guy who was waiting in line since 5 am on launch day (right behind the biggest Zelda fanatic in history), I'm not surprised. The supply still hasn't met demand, and it really is an awesome lil system. I still get offered full price (sometimes more) for my 6 months of heavy use bundle of joy from friends who know I have one but live too far away to come over and play.

My older sister often asks me when I think they'll be easy to just walk in and purchase, and I always answer; "When everyone else but you has one."

Davor on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    A few of my friends are nuts over that DBZ game, regardless of the fact that I don't care too much for it (it's fine, but quite shallow, really. A bajillion characters, but they've all got the same moves?) Too bad there's no achievments, because I know I'd never have the patience to finish the story mode on that one.
    The characters are absolutely not the same. Their moves, speed, grabs, and ki are all different. And if you really wanted, you could just download a save file of someone who has finished the game but I think the single player mode is the best reason to own the game. The multiplayer kind of sucks.

Other than that, I agree with you. Elebits is great and couldn't be done on another system. I have seven Wii games. When the DS first came out, I had two games by this time.

Taya on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    Super Paper Mario is the first retail game since Zelda that I will buy for the Wii.

Even if you've got good reason for that, you're missing out on some really fun stuff.

Pick up Red Steel ... it's down to $25 used. Can't go all that wrong with a $25 game.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gino wrote: »
    How many of these threads do we need. Seems like there is a new one every few days.

There probably will be until one can simply walk into Mordor a store and buy one.

Samphis on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One does not simply drift into TRU and buy a Wii.

In reference to the greatest animated gif of all time.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    shyguy wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen a Wii in stores since I heard that TRU in times square got a shipment and I dashed out of my office to stand in line on my lunch hour to get one. Gave that one to a friend, though. Around here, you can buy games, nunchucks, wiimotes, and classic controllers to your heart's content. It's been ages since I actually bothered to hunt for a system though.

I think it's kind of funny how much flack people are giving the Wii for not having enough AAA single-player titles at the moment. Welcome to system launches! That's why I put so much play-time into games like Battle Arena Toshinden, Mortal Kombat Gold, and whatever that Gamecube Waverace game was called (Blue Storm?). Given that Wii Sports has practically infinite multiplayer replay value and the entirety of Virtual Console at your fingertips, I'd say that the Wii is doing pretty well for itself.
    We are still at launch are we?
    Yes.
    For how long?
    6 months minimum. Anybody buying the console before that is an early adopter and has no right to complain about a small software library. I think the Wii's early game line-up is much stronger than what the 360 had after this long.
    Got it.

Ya 360 pretty much had launch games, GRAW and Oblivion by now as well as arcade stuff.

And Wii has launch games , Twighlight Princess, Paper Mario, and a multitude of other good games.

Gino on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    A few of my friends are nuts over that DBZ game, regardless of the fact that I don't care too much for it (it's fine, but quite shallow, really. A bajillion characters, but they've all got the same moves?) Too bad there's no achievments, because I know I'd never have the patience to finish the story mode on that one.
    The characters are absolutely not the same. Their moves, speed, grabs, and ki are all different. And if you really wanted, you could just download a save file of someone who has finished the game but I think the single player mode is the best reason to own the game. The multiplayer kind of sucks.

Other than that, I agree with you. Elebits is great and couldn't be done on another system. I have seven Wii games. When the DS first came out, I had two games by this time.

I understand their moves (animations) are different, and you can change the stats. I was referring to everyone having the same actual combos (AAAAA^A) and button presses (or waggles, out of the 6 possible). It's sure fun to play, but it's far from a deep combat system. My friends and I have played into the GT saga in the story mode, and while it's definitely good fan service, and it's fun to play, actual depth is noticeably lacking. Soul Calibur II, it is not.

I have 10 games, I think, by last count. it could also be the fact that I don't have nearly as much time to game as I used to, but I haven't run out of games to play yet. People who've bought like 8 games, and say 'I've finished them all and my Wii's collecting dust' scare me. Where do you find the time?

Nickle on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think ExciteTruck doesn't get as much credit as it should.

I played the hell out of that game, and when I brought my Wii home for Xmas and hooked it up for my friends. It was the game that got the most play time.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think I've seen a Wii in stores since I heard that TRU in times square got a shipment and I dashed out of my office to stand in line on my lunch hour to get one. Gave that one to a friend, though. Around here, you can buy games, nunchucks, wiimotes, and classic controllers to your heart's content. It's been ages since I actually bothered to hunt for a system though.

I think it's kind of funny how much flack people are giving the Wii for not having enough AAA single-player titles at the moment. Welcome to system launches! That's why I put so much play-time into games like Battle Arena Toshinden, Mortal Kombat Gold, and whatever that Gamecube Waverace game was called (Blue Storm?). Given that Wii Sports has practically infinite multiplayer replay value and the entirety of Virtual Console at your fingertips, I'd say that the Wii is doing pretty well for itself.
    Yes.
    For how long?
    6 months minimum. Anybody buying the console before that is an early adopter and has no right to complain about a small software library. I think the Wii's early game line-up is much stronger than what the 360 had after this long.
    Got it.

Ya 360 pretty much had launch games, GRAW and Oblivion by now as well as arcade stuff.

And Wii has launch games , Twighlight Princess, Paper Mario, and a multitude of other good games.
    I mean you've got many people saying this... and yet a lot of other people saying stuff like "ya... I don't play my Wii much at all"

so you've got to ask I guess... are they really "good games"?

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I understand their moves (animations) are different, and you can change the stats. I was referring to everyone having the same actual combos (AAAAA^A) and button presses (or waggles, out of the 6 possible). It's sure fun to play, but it's far from a deep combat system. My friends and I have played into the GT saga in the story mode, and while it's definitely good fan service, and it's fun to play, actual depth is noticeably lacking. Soul Calibur II, it is not.
    The buttons are the same across characters but everything else is different: the attack itself, the way they move, the strength and accuracy of the attacks, whether or not their specials are rushes, ki blasts, or explosions, how easily they dodge, the length of their grab, etc. I'd rather that than to have to memorize different button combinations for 129 different characters. It's no Soul Calibur, for sure, but I would say it's a pretty deep game. After all, Smash Bros has the same buttons for each character too but I would say that's a deep game.

Taya on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I mean you've got many people saying this... and yet a lot of other people saying stuff like "ya... I don't play my Wii much at all"

Uh, yes, they're good games. That doesn't mean we keep playing them for months after we beat them. Playing all the good launch window games and then letting the console sit on the shelf for a while is pretty run of the mill for an early adopter.

Zek on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yes.
    For how long?
    Got it.

Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

I was going to ask if you are retarded, but it's oh so very clear.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    All you have is a bunch of people that never give games a chance like Smacky the Frog abloo bloo blooing about not playing their console much.

"Depth in Wii Tennis consists of "the ball is a little higher, I'm going to flick my wrist at a slightly different angle."

Way to go Smacky thanks for the headache.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    'Good' is so ambiguous.

I mean sure, Sonic is 'good'.

But Zelda is great.

Good pretty much means nothing these days, we live in a 7-10 scoring world. Good doesnt cut it.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The people that get all upset in the first year of a console launch are the ones that absolutely refuse to play anything that doesn't score above a 8.5 on average.

Zek on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    realistically, the Wii is not going to drop in price for ages. By the time it does, there will be tonnes of games available for it, and cheaper older games too. Buying a Wii at £180 with a few games you want now is better than buying a Wii in 12 months time for £180 with lots of games you want.

Edit: Assuming cashflow isn't a problem

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Uh, yes, they're good games. That doesn't mean we keep playing them for months after we beat them. Playing all the good launch window games and then letting the console sit on the shelf for a while is pretty run of the mill for an early adopter.

I've got to admit that some of the launch window games suffer from being too short ... but I really haven't had a time on my Wii where I haven't had something to play.

Just because it hasn't 100% cured me of the "9-to-5 job leaves little room for gaming" problem doesn't mean it doesn't have good games.
    Carnivore wrote: »
    'Good' is so ambiguous.

I mean sure, Sonic is 'good'.

But Zelda is great.

Good pretty much means nothing these days, we live in a 7-10 scoring world. Good doesnt cut it.

Sonic was great. People need to stop hating on it because it's not 2D.

Zelda was something else beyond great.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

Do I type like I'm retarded? Or are you just using an uninspired insult because I may have disrespected your games library or favorite video game console?

We're having a discussion here and a lot of people would not agree with your pics. I based my question on people saying that they purchased Zelda and played it then the Wii sat on the shelf until Paper Mario. This is a fucking common statement if you read the damn thread.

If your listed games are so fuckin' fun then why are these folks not playing them?

They are also retarded?

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I finally called in the repair order on my baby. I don't want to see her go, especially since I've barely scratched Super Paper Mario. I guess I'll just have to scramble to get it done before the shipping sticker arrives.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For those that bought Zelda and had their Wii collecting dust until Super Paper Mario, I have to wonder if they even tried any other games. And not just watched somebody play, but actually tried them themselves. There ARE other good single player games out there. At least give them a rent. Nintendo isn't going to release a huge title every few weeks so you'll need to be willing to try something different.

Taya on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just want them to release Metroid goddammit

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

Do I type like I'm retarded? Or are you just using an uninspired insult because I may have disrespected your games library or favorite video game console?

We're having a discussion here and a lot of people would not agree with your pics. I based my question on people saying that they purchased Zelda and played it then the Wii sat on the shelf until Paper Mario. This is a fucking common statement if you read the damn thread.

If your listed games are so fuckin' fun then why are these folks not playing them?

They are also retarded?
    Hey

Yes.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the wii is such a strange case.

I wonder when the steam will start to pick up.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    For those that bought Zelda and had their Wii collecting dust until Super Paper Mario, I have to wonder if they even tried any other games. And not just watched somebody play, but actually tried them themselves. There ARE other good single player games out there. At least give them a rent. Nintendo isn't going to release a huge title every few weeks so you'll need to be willing to try something different.

To be fair, mine has more or less been collecting dust, but I just go play the games coming out for the other systems. I'm not whining about how it has no new games.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If I could throw money away, I would've already bought Wario Ware, Elebits, Kororinpa Marble Mania, and when it comes out Bust-A-Move. Next week, I shall rent one of these. Or maybe I'll just get started on Wind Waker like I've been wanting to do for months.

The games are there, but I wonder if it's a case of people simply not knowing about them.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »

O_o

Sold out for the past 6 months isn't enough steam for you?

... or were you talking about the rate of software releases? 'Cause in general I'm pretty satisfied with the rate of releases because, frankly, I can't afford to buy too many more games than I'm buying now.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

They are also retarded?

They just don't understand "The Wii".

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't touched my Wii since I accidentally deleted my Zelda save file. Really no games look that appealing for it (at the moment), and zelda plays so much better with an actual controller.

klok on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

They are also retarded?

Case in point

Exhibit Neva.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »

It picked up the steam and is now running on fusion.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

They are also retarded?

Case in point

Exhibit Neva.

I ment that in your favor. He's stupid for saying that alot of people don't consider those games as buys. Really, I think more people should call him an ass for it. He just doesn't understand the Wii.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The buttons are the same across characters but everything else is different: the attack itself, the way they move, the strength and accuracy of the attacks, whether or not their specials are rushes, ki blasts, or explosions, how easily they dodge, the length of their grab, etc. I'd rather that than to have to memorize different button combinations for 129 different characters. It's no Soul Calibur, for sure, but I would say it's a pretty deep game. After all, Smash Bros has the same buttons for each character too but I would say that's a deep game.

I guess it's just preference, yes. Like I said, I'm not saying it's a bad game by any stretch (I rather enjoy it, at times, just not to the extent that my friends do). I guess my taste in video games dips towards depth rather than variety. I love smash bros, but the difference would be that a down-b move for ness is nothing like a down-b move for pickachu, or what have you, whereas a down B move in DBZ is always a sweep. It's still good fun, and we were actually just playing last night. Downloaded a list for the z-item fusion stuff and just went on an unlocking spree. Screw non-flying characters though, especially in an arena that lacks in land. You can't do ANYTHING.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

They are also retarded?

Case in point

Exhibit Neva.

I ment that in your favor. He's stupid for saying that alot of people don't consider those games as buys. Really, I think more people should call him an ass for it. He just doesn't understand the Wii.
    Oh then sorry, I assumed it was sarcastic in nature.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    All you have is a bunch of people that never give games a chance like Smacky the Frog abloo bloo blooing about not playing their console much.

"Depth in Wii Tennis consists of "the ball is a little higher, I'm going to flick my wrist at a slightly different angle."

Good Lord you're annoying.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

They are also retarded?

Case in point

Exhibit Neva.

If you think it would solve the debate then feel free to call me whatever you like.

I'm not the one *NOT* playing with my Wii. I'm just a guy asking questions.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Madden
    Marvel UA
    Sonic
    SSX
    Warioware
    Trauma Center
    Zelda
    Paper Mario

They are also retarded?

Case in point

Exhibit Neva.

Oh then sorry, I assumed it was sarcastic in nature.

I'm pretty sure that was sacrasm followed by extremely dense sarcasm. Impenetrable sarcasm even.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

What? That's very much true. Swing your arm doesn't make for deep gameplay. It makes for some fun times with friends on occasion, sure.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg