As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    That reminds me, any word on how the sample from the River of Slime summoned forth the Scoleri Brothers?

Was it just lucky chance that their psychokinetic energy was somehow inhabiting that specific jar of slime, or did it act as some sort of gateway to allow them to travel here since they knew the judge? Or were they disembodied to the point that they couldn't interact with anything and were already (invisibly and ineffectively) haunting the judge and the slime merely powered them up enough to manifest?

Presumably this is nowhere near where they died since I don't think electric chairs would have been at the courthouse.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    That reminds me, any word on how the sample from the River of Slime summoned forth the Scoleri Brothers?

Was it just lucky chance that their psychokinetic energy was somehow inhabiting that specific jar of slime, or did it act as some sort of gateway to allow them to travel here since they knew the judge? Or were they disembodied to the point that they couldn't interact with anything and were already (invisibly and ineffectively) haunting the judge and the slime merely powered them up enough to manifest?

Presumably this is nowhere near where they died since I don't think electric chairs would have been at the courthouse.

Ectoplasm is simultaneously a lubricant that allows manifestations to interact with our world and a sort of tree-sap-like substance that leaks out of the spaces between the planes when an entity passes through. The Scoleri Brothers' hate for the judge who sentenced them was incredibly strong and his angry outburst fed so much power into the psychomagnetheric slime sample that it allowed them to tear into our reality. The reason why those two, specifically, manifest in the courtroom is because that was the strongest singular link between the etheric plane and ours. The Scoleri's hate for the Judge was incredibly potent even after their deaths and it can be safely assumed that the judge was harboring some deep fears about them as well. He instantly recognizes them when they burst out of the slime even though they're cartoon caricatures of their living selves. One might even suppose that his over-the-top condemnation of the Ghostbusters might be connected to a very core fear that ghosts could be real and what that would mean for an old man who has spent many years of his life finding people guilty and sending them to die at the hands of the state.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh hey, the mad geniuses at Fincher & Son have my "DMR pack" mostly done. Lights, sounds and smoke all work!

Also it looks SIIIIIICK!
    r7suxYsl.png
    edit:
    https://youtu.be/B57hgcCjCew

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    how do you make a marksmen version of a weapon that is about as accurate as a fire extinguisher?

Don't get me wrong, that looks cool as shit i'm just curious about the mechanics of the idea.

Melding on
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »
    how do you make a marksmen version of a weapon that is about as accurate as a fire extinguisher?

Don't get me wrong, that looks cool as shit i'm just curious about the mechanics of the idea.

Marksman version? Oh no.

It's more like a sawn-off shotgun.

DMR stands for Dark-Matter-Reactor, based on the Dark Matter Generator upgrade from Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
    yHeCtMJl.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What I am most jealous about is how much god damn room there is inside that proton pack! Jesus I could live in that thing! And here I was trying to cram everything into the shell of a standard proton pack.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    @TankHammer How much is that running you, if you don't mind me asking?
    I've been giving more and more consideration to starting a Seattle GB franchise, but not sure about start up costs.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I've been giving more and more consideration to starting a Seattle GB franchise, but not sure about start up costs.

Not counting fissionable materials, the original base for the pack (pre-made with two previous owners) was $500 including shipping from Michigan or Ohio or somewhere up there to Georgia. James and Charles charged me about $330 for parts and labor to get it from this:
    HJb3e8Vl.jpg
    to what you see above.

As far as starting-up a franchise, see if your local municipality will foot the franchise licensing fees.
    s52vmnsl.jpg
    The nearby Ghostbusters of British Columbia may be willing to lend you a hand getting started.

I'm actually pretty shocked there isn't a Seattle franchise already but somehow there's one in Victoria, BC and Spokane.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

Not counting fissionable materials, the original base for the pack (pre-made with two previous owners) was $500 including shipping from Michigan or Ohio or somewhere up there to Georgia. James and Charles charged me about $330 for parts and labor to get it from this:
    HJb3e8Vl.jpg
    to what you see above.

As far as starting-up a franchise, see if your local municipality will foot the franchise licensing fees.
    s52vmnsl.jpg
    The nearby Ghostbusters of British Columbia may be willing to lend you a hand getting started.

I'm actually pretty shocked there isn't a Seattle franchise already but somehow there's one in Victoria, BC and Spokane.

Oh my god I love the wheelchair with the giant logo.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Marksman version? Oh no.

DMR stands for Dark-Matter-Reactor, based on the Dark Matter Generator upgrade from Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
    yHeCtMJl.png

oh, DMR usually means designated marksman rifle, hence the confusion.

wait does that mean someone is going to get the uh, shit what did they call the homing assault rifle attachment? Meson Collider? cause that was also a neat attachment.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Marksman version? Oh no.

[img][/img]

oh, DMR usually means designated marksman rifle, hence the confusion.

wait does that mean someone is going to get the uh, shit what did they call the homing assault rifle attachment? Meson Collider? cause that was also a neat attachment.

We're all really excited at the prospect of a Jacob's ladder just inches from the back of our heads but so far nobody's taken steps to make it a reality.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Ectoplasm is simultaneously a lubricant that allows manifestations to interact with our world and a sort of tree-sap-like substance that leaks out of the spaces between the planes when an entity passes through. The Scoleri Brothers' hate for the judge who sentenced them was incredibly strong and his angry outburst fed so much power into the psychomagnetheric slime sample that it allowed them to tear into our reality. The reason why those two, specifically, manifest in the courtroom is because that was the strongest singular link between the etheric plane and ours. The Scoleri's hate for the Judge was incredibly potent even after their deaths and it can be safely assumed that the judge was harboring some deep fears about them as well. He instantly recognizes them when they burst out of the slime even though they're cartoon caricatures of their living selves. One might even suppose that his over-the-top condemnation of the Ghostbusters might be connected to a very core fear that ghosts could be real and what that would mean for an old man who has spent many years of his life finding people guilty and sending them to die at the hands of the state.

As fan-worky as that explanation seems to be, I could totally buy that it's actually from Akroyd's script notes somewhere.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

As fan-worky as that explanation seems to be, I could totally buy that it's actually from Akroyd's script notes somewhere.

That plus a little from the West End Games RPG rulebook.

• Options

That plus a little from the West End Games RPG rulebook.

Considering that Dan had a name and expected use of every device on/in Ecto-1, I'd love to see that stuff.

I remember how he was about to start naming everything on the roof rack during the restoration special and what it did/was suppose to do but either they cut it or he stopped himself.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    You know how there are all these tech manuals for Star Wars and Star Trek stuff? Like detailed deck plans for the Enterprise and whatnot? Dan should totally write some stuff like that for Ghostbusters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I would sell a member of my family to get an official Ghostbusters Technical Manual.

The closest we've come so far will be the upcoming book Ghostbusters the Ultimate Visual History.
    WHO YOU GONNA CALL? The Ghostbusters saga has been thrilling fans around the world for over three decades, from the original movies to the animated shows, comics, video games, toys, and other collectibles. For the first time, Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History takes a comprehensive look at the entire franchise, telling the complete story behind the creation of a true pop culture phenomenon.

Beginning with an in-depth look at the original film, Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History delves into the archives to showcase a wealth of never-before-seen concept art and photography that will take fans into the production of a true classic. Also featuring a large section on Ghostbusters II, the book brings together exclusive interviews with the key players from both films, including director Ivan Reitman; stars Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Sigourney Weaver; and producers Michael C. Gross and Joe Medjuck.

The book also explores the creation of The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters animated shows, featuring interviews with the writers, animators, and voice artists, plus previously unseen sketches, animation cels, and other stunning visuals. With additional sections on Ghostbusters comics, video games, merchandise, and fandom, Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History is the last word on one of the most popular franchises of all time.

ALSO INCLUDES INCREDIBLE SPECIAL ITEMS THAT WILL THRILL GHOSTBUSTERS FANS, INCLUDING:

Peter Venkman’s business card
    Sedgewick Hotel storyboard booklet
    Rare concept art sketches of ghostbusting gadgets
    Stay Puft Marshmallow Man package sticker
    Production notes
    A schematic of the Gozer temple miniature
    Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History https://www.amazon.com/dp/1608875105/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qNTSvb1D396FT

The collectors edition will come with a stone tablet modeled after the door carvings on the temple of Gozer.
    yocoi54diwjw.jpg

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yes I would like that please

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yes I would like that please

Get in line!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I kinda want to wait till it comes out so I can get a look at the contents.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I kinda want to wait till it comes out so I can get a look at the contents.

Maybe I'll do an unboxing video on a video streaming site or something. Could be fun!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    POV footage from the new Ghostbusters: Cazafantasmas attraction at Six Flags in Mexico City.
    It's a laser tag/target shooting arena.
    https://youtu.be/a8UOgSYj5jo

TankHammer on
  • Options
    random thought as i consider the idea of breaking out each of the Ghostbusters video game attachments into their own device, what would new slime blower look like if they have self replicating slime?

• Options
    Pretty sure the slime already self-replicates, just Dr.s Spangler and Stanz cultured a strain that grew faster, hence the need for a smaller storage tank attached to the pack and not a dedicated unit.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    random thought as i consider the idea of breaking out each of the Ghostbusters video game attachments into their own device, what would new slime blower look like if they have self replicating slime?

In my personal head-canon the slime blower mk2 operates exactly as the game portrays it, being bolted into the neutrona wand like an under-slung grenade launcher. The mk1 is still in use and is more powerful than its smaller cousin due to the increased volume and larger gun but is now issued with a more emotionally stable, positively-charged, green slime.

Surplus mk1 blowers are issued to smaller franchises who can't afford the newer, miniaturized models. They are also used when a large-scale cleanup of negatively-charged slime is needed or when a particular buster is on disciplinary probation from using a positron collider (this happened recently with one of my trainees).

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    cPoGfuf.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    A scan of a spread from the next issue of The Ghostbusters Get Real. This thing is reference city!
    rzsa8w40ixmz.jpg
    The Extreme Ghostbusters!

q89ox9ku6s2u.jpg
    If this image doesn't entice you to buy Ghostbusters: Get Real #2 when it comes out on July 29, 2015, I don't know what will !!!!!!

Here are the identities of the teams, identified by me, with corrections by Matthew Jordan.

[top to bottom, left to right]
    01. The Ghost Smashers (Michael Keaton, Eddie Murphy, and John Belushi)

02. Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling: "Ghost Wrestlers" (Capt. Lou Albano, Wendi Richter, Hulk Hogan)
    see: http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rockwrestling_ghostwrestlers02.jpg

03. The Real Ghostbusters: "Flip Side" (Peoplebusters)

04. Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime (Bridget Gibbons, Samuel Hazer, Gabriel Sitter, Alan Crendall)

05. Ghostbusters for Sega Genesis (Peter, Ray, Egon)

06. Filmation's Animated Ghostbusters (Jake, Kong, Eddie)

07. Super Busters Rush [Japanese Casino Game] (Egon, Ray, Peter)
    see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fEDUAYGoTw

08. New Ghostbusters II for Japanese NES (all four guys and Slimer)

09. Tokyo ESP: Scene 03 Penguin and Girl [Japanese Anime] (Peter, Winston, Ray, Egon)
    see: http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Tokyo_ESP:_Scene_03_Penguin_and_Girl

10. The Real Ghostbusters, Original Promo Pilot
    see: http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/rgb_pilot.htm

11. Ghostbusters: The Video Game Stylized Version, Drawn Movie-Like (Winston, Egon, Ray, Peter)

12. Slimer! (all four guys)

* Also, the skulls of Captain Jack Higgins and his crew (from RGB "Sea Fright") populate the outskirts of the tunnel/pages.

• Options
    So this whole Ghost Corp thing has been strange from day one and it just got stranger. MTV of all people interviewed Drew Pearce and got a potential bombshell.
    That Other ‘Ghostbusters’ Is Totes Happening, And Guess Who They’re Gonna Call
    Why'd you lie to us, Chris Pratt?

by kat rosenfield 5h ago
    With additional reporting by Josh Horowitz

Although certain people (ahem, Chris Pratt) have issued stern and vulgar denials that a second, dudely “Ghostbusters” reboot was happening, that hasn’t stopped loud whispers coming from Hollywood about a project just like that in the works.

And every time the subject comes up, so does the name of Drew Pearce, the “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation” writer who’s also scripting the other upcoming movie about ghosts, and the people who bust them.

Fortunately, MTV News was able to catch up with Pearce at the New York premiere of the new “Mission Impossible,” and pump him for info on the project. And even more fortunately, Pearce aint afraid of no “Ghostbusters” questions (although he reserved the right to be cagey about answering them.) So, is this really happening?

Says Pearce: OH YEAH.

“I’ve finished my work on that in the last couple weeks,” he said. “Obviously it’s top secret, but there’s a gigantic bold idea that I came up with, and the Russo brothers — who did ’Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ and are doing ’Civil War’ at the moment — and Ivan Reitman, who did the original movie, are going to take that and run with it. Obviously I cannot tell you what it is, but hopefully in one year’s time you’ll know!”

Even better, he wasn’t even a tiny bit coy about the dream cast for the film. Who ya gonna call? Might it, in fact, be Chris Pratt and Channing Tatum as rumored?

“That’s definitely the cast we’ve been thinking about as we approach the project,” Pearce confirmed, but added, “Whether that happens or not is very much above my pay grade. It’s just my job to give them something exciting that maybe they’ll do.”

And while Pearce made all the same caveats about not having final say in this part, either, he addressed the very important question of whether a new “Ghostbusters” would give proper recognition to both the original source material as well as the all-female reboot of the movie that’s being filmed as we speak. The writer revealed that “there’s been a lot of chat” amongst producers about how and how much of a franchise this will be — and yep, he’s totally pulling for a single universe.

“My personal inclination is to try and make everything occur in the same ’Ghostbusters’ universe, because I feel, as a fan, that’s what I would want,” he said. “Standing here in New York, you just wanna tie it all together. Whether that happens or not we’ll see, but I’ve certainly given them the tools to do that, I hope.”

So it sounds like they want to bring the new Ghostbusters into the same timeline as the originals. I hope it's a better plan than it sounds because retconning a movie while it's not even finishing filming yet seems like a poor plan.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

You and me should talk Chromdom. The fact that there's no Ghostbusters franchise in our beloved city means spooks and specters have been running roughshod over us for years. Pike Place Market alone would make us enough in consulting fees to retire on.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    As much as I would love to see another original-universe GB movie, and as much as I would love for it to be a Tatum/Pratt flick, I really don't want them to do this thing immediately following/right alongside the female-driven movie. That seems in really poor taste.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »

You and me should talk Chromdom. The fact that there's no Ghostbusters franchise in our beloved city means spooks and specters have been running roughshod over us for years. Pike Place Market alone would make us enough in consulting fees to retire on.

If you guys get this thing off the ground I would be happy to donate a patch design for you. Just decide what cliché Seattle thing to incorporate.

I'm thinking either "ghost behind the space needle" or "green and white no-ghost drawn like the Starbucks mermaid holding a takeout coffee cup"

• Options
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    As much as I would love to see another original-universe GB movie, and as much as I would love for it to be a Tatum/Pratt flick, I really don't want them to do this thing immediately following/right alongside the female-driven movie. That seems in really poor taste.

Yeah, it's robbing Petra to pay Paul.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

If you guys get this thing off the ground I would be happy to donate a patch design for you. Just decide what cliché Seattle thing to incorporate.

I'm thinking either "ghost behind the space needle" or "green and white no-ghost drawn like the Starbucks mermaid holding a takeout coffee cup"

It almost feels like both could be done, but it'd be busy as hell.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

I, for one, have always preferred the original no-ghost logo. Heck, I don't even like the peace-sign two fingers second movie logo.
    Grumpgrumgrump.

Anyway, yeah @Matev let's get this discussion going. Wanna PM me when you're ready to talk about such a thing? I have a couple (as in, literally a couple, two, ideas, and see a couple of potential hangups.

Anybody else? Sea-Tac area people? Anybody? Anybody?

• Options
    Indeed, any other Seattle-area GB fans want in this?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    For a logo, could always put in a compass rose behind it, referencing the Mariners.

I mean, they're a dead team anyway...

newSig.jpg
  • Options

I, for one, have always preferred the original no-ghost logo. Heck, I don't even like the peace-sign two fingers second movie logo.
    Grumpgrumgrump.

You misunderstand. Your right shoulder has the traditional no-ghost patch, the left shoulder carries your franchise patch.
    9wF8cNM.jpg1jESXZO.jpg

• Options
    For a logo, could always put in a compass rose behind it, referencing the Mariners.

Hilarious Statler and/or Waldorf, but god forbid people mistake us for sports enthusiasts.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

nah, get a supersonics logo on it

• Options

Grumpgrumgrump.

You misunderstand. Your right shoulder has the traditional no-ghost patch, the left shoulder carries your franchise patch.
    9wF8cNM.jpg1jESXZO.jpg

I like that idea. Reminds me somewhat of the scouts. General icon in one location, unit/troop icon in another.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Man, I love Ghostbusters, have done my whole life. The idea of the reboot and everything we've seen so far has me shaking with excitement...

Having said that, I'm really, really not into the idea of them turning it into a big franchise with a new movie every few years. I'm worried that might suck the magic out of it.

Am I the only one?

This discussion has been closed.