As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »
    Having Conclave just makes the rebellion's goal "Increase Council Power"

If your council has a lot of power, the people on it can't join factions but it also takes a lot of agency away from you

But completely dismantling a Council is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences for me.

The Council are the real final boss of CK2.

Once a ruler of mine has ruled for a long time (one of the benefits of my preference for Ultimogeniture) and has usually become pretty popular, I can stuff the Council full of Loyalists and start screwing back Council power bit by bit until I've got full control once more. My ruler usually has enough time for that.

Then when the (often underage because of Ultimogeniture) heir gets hit with a bunch of 'Short Reign' penalties, the Council starts clamoring for more power again, which I'm usually happy to give them because it improves their opinion of me. And hey, barring some strange sudden death (and what're the odds that's gonna happen in a game of CK2?), the ruler will still have plenty of time to take those powers away from the Council once more.

Giving the people (well... the nobility) what they want, while scheming to take it all away from them again the moment I've consolidated my position is probably kind of morally dubious, but that's basically all of Crusader Kings. And hey, at least it doesn't involve murder. Well, it doesn't have to, anyway.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Awwww!

Can’t it include just a little murder?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Awwww!

Realistically, knowing CK2, it's probably gonna.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Awwww!

Throw in some incest and you have a deal.

• Options
    Awwww!

Like I said, it doesn't have to include murder. But that doesn't mean murder's not an option.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So then, Mercia (i think) eats all of wales, except Powyl and me, i conquer Powyl.
    Mercia declares war and takes powyl.
    My chancelor immediately chimes in with "good news, i've made the ruler of Mercia like you more"
    Me: /facepalm

I can see the writing on the wall, i think it's time for me to consider the benefits of becomming a vassal.
    Before i become a corpse.

• Options
    And i died of gout at mid 40s, and my 6 year old son is now the count.
    Dammit.

Can i even suggest someone to become their vassal?
    BEcause i am getting kinda nervous of the sea of red around me.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    You can offer to become a high tier lord's vassal

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oh god my regent is trying to murder me.
    On hindsight, maybe legitimizing my bastard son, and then making my wife the regent, were not the smartest move on my part when combined.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Somr things you just gotta learn from experience

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    On hindsight, maybe legitimizing my bastard son, and then making my wife the regent, were not the smartest move on my part when combined.

Unless you have a plan in place, engaging in Game of Thrones style aristocratic debauchery has a tendency to end in Game of Thrones style disasters.

Still, this might be salvageable. Does your hopefully non-child heir have better stats?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

It's fine. So long as your line doesn't die out or lose all their land, you'll be fine.

I mean, it is kind of annoying when someone tries to murder you, but you'll just hop to the next member of the Dynasty and keep going.

More than once you'll find that suddenly you're now playing as your own murderer. Which is always... emotionally complicated.

• Options
    no worries, i've a ton of siblins, and even more cousins

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm always kinda excited when I can play an inbred distant cousin who takes over

• Options
    also, in my defense, i was not married when i got a lover

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    CK2 can be a roller coaster of emotions.

Some of my favorite games have been ones in which I started with nothing, built up a mighty kingdom, then had it all come crashing down and ending up a minor vassal of some foreign power only to then claw my way back up and become the leader of the greatest Empire on Earth.

Sometimes my plots can take a couple generations to bear fruit. I recall one instance where I had made the Kingdom of Abyssinia in to a regional power (all of Ethiopia and Egypt, some North African holdings). I was able to marry my ruler's great-grandson to the current Byzantine Empress's own great-granddaughter. A very, very long time (and a few murders) later the great-great-grandson of my Abyssinian King become the ruler of the Byzantine Empire and Kingdom of Abyssinia merging the two powers overnight in to the single greatest empire in the world. That ruler then went on to reform the Roman Empire as the only territory he needed was Italy.

That is easily in my "Top 5" CK2 moments for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I'm just basicly flailing around and trying to marry my siblings to neighboring rulers or their heirs.
    Sure my ambitions may have gone from becomming the king of wales, to just not dying, in two generations, but that's how it goes.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Yeah Ireland is a great sort of "newbie island".

If you want to try your hand at something bigger I personal like the Byzantine Empire. France I think is the easiest, but Byzantine feels like the right blend of challenging but forgiving.

Although I suppose that depends on when you start. Early years Ireland (pre-1066?) maybe isn't the easiest thing and later years Byzantine is also in a pickle.

Before you know it you'll be playing a one county Jew and reforming the Roman Empire.

Old Gods Ireland is harder, because you're going to be fighting off Vikings as much as the Anglo-Saxons, but as a tribe instead a feudal.

Charlemagne, on the other hand, all the counts of Northern Ireland are in the same dynasty, and old to boot, so with Tanistry its quite possible to get most of counties need to declare yourself king just by bounceing around the family tree as your holdings get past to a landed cousin or uncle.

I found Old Gods easier because you can pick up a lot of prestige (and gold) as tribal through raiding, and with enough prestige you can call for a doomstack of 5000 troops. Makes conquering chunks of Scotland and England that much easier (you want to leave Wales alone for a while so you can keep raiding).

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »

If you want to try your hand at something bigger I personal like the Byzantine Empire. France I think is the easiest, but Byzantine feels like the right blend of challenging but forgiving.

Although I suppose that depends on when you start. Early years Ireland (pre-1066?) maybe isn't the easiest thing and later years Byzantine is also in a pickle.

Before you know it you'll be playing a one county Jew and reforming the Roman Empire.

Old Gods Ireland is harder, because you're going to be fighting off Vikings as much as the Anglo-Saxons, but as a tribe instead a feudal.

Charlemagne, on the other hand, all the counts of Northern Ireland are in the same dynasty, and old to boot, so with Tanistry its quite possible to get most of counties need to declare yourself king just by bounceing around the family tree as your holdings get past to a landed cousin or uncle.

I found Old Gods easier because you can pick up a lot of prestige (and gold) as tribal through raiding, and with enough prestige you can call for a doomstack of 5000 troops. Makes conquering chunks of Scotland and England that much easier (you want to leave Wales alone for a while so you can keep raiding).

Tribal mechanics can be quite strong if you know how to take advantage of them but those aren't things that will come naturally to a new player. It's a lot of extra plates to juggle for newbies who now often are getting multiple DLCs when they pick up CK2.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    My court Chaplain refuses to set a foot in the same castle as me.
    Even though his opinion of me is 57.
    I have no clue what i am doing, but this game keeps making me laugh.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Tribal mechanics can be quite strong if you know how to take advantage of them but those aren't things that will come naturally to a new player. It's a lot of extra plates to juggle for newbies who now often are getting multiple DLCs when they pick up CK2.

My issue was always converting from tribal to feudal. You suddenly lose your massive armies, attrition protection and you end up as a weak lord still subject to holy wars... But maybe I just pissed off the French/German kings too often

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

My issue was always converting from tribal to feudal. You suddenly lose your massive armies, attrition protection and you end up as a weak lord still subject to holy wars... But maybe I just pissed off the French/German kings too often

Ideally taking the needed holy sites would weaken the German Catholics enough to afford some protection. Having a ruler with high martial helps a lot too as you still get a bonus to army sizes as a reformed Germanic (and I assume that's what you were playing as if you were dealing with German and French rulers) so you can still often defend well. It does also depend on how well the French and German rulers themselves are doing though. If they've formed Francia with a Quick or Genius ruler you're going to have a rough time.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

I'm assuming you invited him to a feast, I think there are only two possible responses to that, either "Yeah, woo, lets party!" or "No, I wouldn't be caught dead at your stupid party", so its more that the devs never bothered to implement any responses other than "fuck yes" and "fuck no" than him actually hating you. Its especially stupid when your councilors say they wouldn't be caught dead in the same castle as you because its like... we're already in the same castle, dude.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Please keep writing updates, it's kinda beautiful to hear someone new discovering the insanity that is Crusader Kings.

The game is basically GoT, except more amoral, brutal, and at times on acid.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-93-venetian-guile.1112235/

Dev diary on all the new ways Crusades can go wrong with Holy Fury.

The Highlights:

-Shepard's Crusade. Actually a Sons of Abraham event that they are reworking to actually work, will need it rather than Holy Fury. After a failed Crusade, chance that someone starts this up, roaming Europe for followers and causing trouble before heading to the Holy Land or Iberia. Usually fails, but sometimes...

-Children's Crusade. Once per game, after Crusades are unlocked and infidels hold Jerusalem an unlanded child in Europe starts this up and moves from court to court for support. Can help, hinder, stop, or Sponser their efforts. Victory means said child gets a Crusader State.

-Fourth Crusade. Every Crusade, there is a chance that a Byzantine claimant contacts a Merchant Republic to get the Crusade to go for Constantinople instead. If the MR is successful, you get a Crusade for Thrace, and if that is successful, the claimant dies and the biggest contributer becomes Emperor of the Latin Empire. Meanwhile, Byzantinum basically gets shattered; Basilus loses the "real" Byzantine Empire title for a titular one, and loses pretty much all their vassals, but he, or any other Christian of the Byzantine culture can restore it with enough Prestige by taking back Thrace.

Also, not in this dev diary, but several of the previous ones have been about improvements of the map, mostly around Europe, with new counties and such. So far, they've shown:

-Hungary
    -Lithuania
    -Finland
    -Scandinavia as a whole; Gotland is now it's own de jure duchy, Iceland has 4 counties now, and will be settled by Irish monks in the Charlemagne start, Norse characters getting the decision to settle Iceland.
    -Northern Italy and the Alps. Italy is getting two new kingdoms; Carinthia for the mainland near Venice (will have AI restrictions so it doesn't instantly create it as most starts have that area controlled by one ruler that has more than 50% of the land) and Romagna, which is Central Italy to have a Not-Papal-States kingdom that the Pope would want to try and make the Papal States out of. Italia will now be 80% of those two + Kingdom of Italy, plus Sicily and/or any other Southern Italy Kingdom, if someone has made the title (and isn't titular), which will make those regions De Jure Italia. Also, Decision to make the Archduchy of Austria.
    -Russia. Tartaria gets Perm, but loses all its land around the Black Sea to the new Pontic Steppes Empire. Most of the 2-county Duchies in southern Russia are no longer two counties anymore.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Scandinavian changes would be nice since that's what I usually play.

• Options
    As soon as I heard "Crusade gone wrong" I was wondering if it meant a recreation of the 4th Crusade.

It's become such a meme in the CK2 community so I'm not surprised it's being put in.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Im still waiting for them to let me play a Republic as Genoa 867 start; I was surprised it's still locked. Does this new DLC let you play as religious heads? If so, that also means you'd be able to play as the Hashashins without having to use console commands

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    Im still waiting for them to let me play a Republic as Genoa 867 start; I was surprised it's still locked. Does this new DLC let you play as religious heads? If so, that also means you'd be able to play as the Hashashins without having to use console commands

Non-merchant republics along with theocracies are concepts they seem to have no idea how to make playable. Who knows when a system for those will be designed.

The DLC lets all pagans reform with options chosen that can include a ruler also being the religious head like the Germanic Fylkir but that's only for reformed pagans as far as I'm aware. Though the Hashashins are a society the player can join already and it's always been possible for a player to declare themselves Caliph so I'm not really sure what impact Holy Fury would theoretically have anyway.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Please keep writing updates, it's kinda beautiful to hear someone new discovering the insanity that is Crusader Kings.

The game is basically GoT, except more amoral, brutal, and at times on acid.
    Not sure how long i'll keep at it, but here's the latest.

So i finally managed to conquer Powys, and the game kept constantly whining about me having unlanded sons.
    I gave him GWent, leaving me ruling Glamorgan and Powys.
    But what i did not know, even if i probably should have, that i would loose all influence on Gwent, even if my son was just a tiny child, no idea who decided on regent.
    Whoopsie.
    Oh well, i made an alliance with him (he wrote an incredibly verbous and articulate letter for a toddler).
    Little later, i decided to finally press my claim (totally fake, but let's keep hush hush on that), and to take over from me immediate liege.
    War went well right up until
    A: My sons armies took part, attacking me.
    and
    B: MY liege manage to conjure thousands of soldiers (mercenaries? allies? not sure) from somewhere and sacked both Glamorgan and Powys.

Long story short, i got captured, lost an eye, was castrated, and have only Powys left to rule.

So now i am almost where i started, except i'm in Powys instead of Glamorgan.

• Options
    So here i am, in Powys, suddenly all of wales rebels against england (including me, but i'm sure nobody actually asked me about it), and guess whose county gets sacked first.
    That does not last long, soon we are back in England, with a new duke, and i pick up gardening (i manage to make a very nice hedge maze, spent like a hundred+ gold on it), because it's not like i can really do anything with only one county and everyone around me being stronger, richer, and with more alliances than me.
    Eventually, my one eyed eunuch of a lord dies, the man hung on through several injuries, diseases and wars when better lords have died in simple accidents (why, oh why can't i just abdicate? or suicide, either works), his father would have been a great ruler (stats wise), but died almost instantly after gaining a son (i can't prove it, but i suspect his wife (and his sons regent)).
    Well, back to 2 counties and an utterly mediocre ruler with only thing going for him is his good looks (and i doubt that is going to win back Glamorgan).
    So now i'm looking at the single county north of gwent, who seems pretty week, but has annoyingly a rather stronger ally right next to him.

Do i dare?

• Options
    So here i am, in Powys, suddenly all of wales rebels against england (including me, but i'm sure nobody actually asked me about it), and guess whose county gets sacked first.
    That does not last long, soon we are back in England, with a new duke, and i pick up gardening (i manage to make a very nice hedge maze, spent like a hundred+ gold on it), because it's not like i can really do anything with only one county and everyone around me being stronger, richer, and with more alliances than me.
    Eventually, my one eyed eunuch of a lord dies, the man hung on through several injuries, diseases and wars when better lords have died in simple accidents (why, oh why can't i just abdicate? or suicide, either works), his father would have been a great ruler (stats wise), but died almost instantly after gaining a son (i can't prove it, but i suspect his wife (and his sons regent)).
    Well, back to 2 counties and an utterly mediocre ruler with only thing going for him is his good looks (and i doubt that is going to win back Glamorgan).
    So now i'm looking at the single county north of gwent, who seems pretty week, but has annoyingly a rather stronger ally right next to him.

Do i dare?

Depressed characters get a decision to kill themselves in the screen you use to go on hunts and stuff.

Otherwise you need mods for things like abdication which feels a bit silly but I understand the argument that it could be really overpowered in the hands of players.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    So it appears i can't declare a war on someone not under same liege as i am.
    Bugger.
    So i declared war on my liege instead. :D
    It did not go well.
    But atleast i did not loose any more counties, still at 2.
    Years went by, saved some money, there was couple plagues, and then a huge civil war broke out right in the middle of england.
    So i declared war, again, on my liege, and now I AM INDEPENDENT, WOOHOO!!!!
    Wonder if my daughter is still betrothed to his heir? Probably not, but i need to check, and if not, try to reset that alliance.

Until i am ready to take over for good.
    I'm a horrible ally, and a worse vassal.

• Options
    Bugger.
    It did not go well.
    Years went by, saved some money, there was couple plagues, and then a huge civil war broke out right in the middle of england.
    Wonder if my daughter is still betrothed to his heir? Probably not, but i need to check, and if not, try to reset that alliance.

No, in CKII you're just average.

Now, if you had your heir marry into the royal family, then systematically murder the entire royal family (including the children) until you heir's spouse, and therefore your grandkids, inherits, then maybe you can claim horriblness... but only if you're sacrificing them all to Satan.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bugger.
    It did not go well.

No, in CKII you're just average.

Now, if you had your heir marry into the royal family, then systematically murder the entire royal family (including the children) until you heir's spouse, and therefore your grandkids, inherits, then maybe you can claim horriblness... but only if you're sacrificing them all to Satan.

I don't think my dlc's allow for that.
    But i would totally do it if my character had a decent intrigue score.

• Options
    Also, there is sort of a roundabout way to abdicate; If you fail to imprison a vassal, they might start a "War against the Tyranny of..." war. Losing that war forces your current liege to abdicate, and you can offer to Surrender straight away.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And once again i am the vassal of the same damn duke i went to war, twice, to get out of.
    Not sure why, no idea how, and if the game ever actually mentioned it, it was fucking subtle about it.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    And once again i am the vassal of the same damn duke i went to war, twice, to get out of.
    Not sure why, no idea how, and if the game ever actually mentioned it, it was fucking subtle about it.

Are you and the duke both under a king? The king can transfer you to be a vassal of the duke. The AI almost always transfers de jure counts to be under their de jure dukes.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    really would have liked to know that before spending 500 gold to become independent.
    Especially as the fucker is plotting to disolve gwent from under me.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    really would have liked to know that before spending 500 gold to become independent.
    Especially as the fucker is plotting to disolve gwent from under me.

The usual plan as a vassal count is something like this

Fabricate claim is your best friend, either the plot or the action. If your duke controls all of the duchy directly, or is very large, you're in trouble, in that case look for random single county locations to claim, getting the second/third province is the hardest part, otherwise fabricate a claim on a co-vassal of your duke. Once you have consolidated enough power you can start claiming from your liege, choose the capital province for a chance at a claim to the duchy directly and to inflict the most damage. Eventually when your liege has no other vassals and counties his higher titles will be destroyed, you move to be under the king and can make yourself a duke

Alternatively, find a ducal title that doesn't exist, get 51% of its counties, win independence and immediately become a duke

The annoying bit is because of gavelkind you need to do this in one characters lifetime, otherwise you have to waste time collecting the provinces again

You can also try marrying in and making a son inherit through plots and such but IMO as a count that's super unreliable