As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

1919293949597»

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Wrong thread…unless I also stole the Pope’s ice cream.

zepherin on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Blimey, that trailer goes places.

According to one of the devs on the Paradox forums, the CK3 trailers tell the story of a feud between two families. Like, this Tours and Tournaments trailer is a direct sequel to the Royal Court trailer.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    So I've been messing around with the new expansion, and I sort of wish I was doing a full let's play of this run, but I haven't been screenshotting anything to this point so instead I'm just going to briefly tell y'all the story of King Immeghar the ridiculously good-looking.

I started off playing as one of the Emirs (Islamic duke-tier) in western Iberia in the 867 start - I hadn't played in that corner of the map since before they added all the Iberian story content, figured I could try to squeeze the juice of two different expansions at once. Immeghar is the grandson of my initial ruler, and son of Yahya, who created his own kingdom (basically Portugal) and conquered two others

Yahya was away in Valencia attending the grand wedding of his youngest sister to the Malik of Al-Sarq when he discovered that his eldest son Immeghar had run off and married Kinda, a woman who was thirty years older than him and demonically possessed. They eloped to west Africa together, and by the time Yahya returned home a couple months later, Kinda was dead, and Immeghar was severely wounded and deeply traumatized. I still don't know what went down in the desert, but Immeghar spent the next dozen years effectively wandering the Sahara, returning home only to claim the throne when Yahya died. When the crown prince returned to Lisbon after his self-imposed exile, he looked like this:

ur1uyxclld5l.jpg

Immeghar's first big public appearance after returning home was to host a Grand Tournament, in which he personally won both the archery contest and the melee. His two younger brothers both also inherited king-level titles, but they are both comparatively small and vulnerable. However, Immeghar is great friends with both of his bros so he basically treats them as autonomous vassals and stands up for them whenever one of their bigger neighbors comes sniffing around.

So what we have here is a beautiful specimen of a man: just over 30, a brooding young widower with physical and emotional scars, who's fiercely protective of his family, highly proficient with both sword and bow and also a wealthy king. If they wrote romance novels in 10th-century Andalusia, Immeghar would be on the cover of half of them. And what I love about CK3 is that the game WORKS with this. I've played roughly 15 years of Immeghar's reign at this point and women are throwing themselves at him more or less constantly. He's been the target of at least three different seduction plots - his Court Physician, High Almoner and Tutor have all made passes at him. Some Sheikh's young wife tries to drag him into a closet at nearly every feast he attends, and on two separate occasions when friends of his have died, their widows have immediately pulled the "I just don't want to be alone tonight" maneuver. He (almost) never succumbs to the temptation - Immeghar is highly religious and deeply emotionally committed to his second wife Nazyra - but I'm finding it hilarious that the game is just objectifying the hell out of this poor gorgeous man

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    You ever forget to check your family motto before allowing an artisan to inscribe it on something?

Couldn't be me

vzdf5c7omw4u.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Friendship is Mag...nificent! *CLANG*

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Kinda like it, feels like a threat.

"Its great to be our friend, but you don't want to be our enemy"

• Options
    Tours and Tournaments really solved the 'nothing to do during peace time' problem. I get so many invitations to feasts, and hunts, and tourneys that I've started not going to a lot of them. I just want to plan my next war in peace.

I do, of course, accept every invitation to a Grand Wedding. It would be very rude not to go, after all.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Picked up the season 2 DLC pass recently so I decided to start a new game last night.

Started a Halfdan/Jorvik game. Wrapped up taking Northumbria, got invited to a tournament in West Francia, have a son die in a peasant rebellion simplifying inheritance but adding a need for stress relief, check out the new system of activities like hunting . . . so far so good.

Haesteinn decides he wants in on England and conquers East Anglia. And then all of Mercia minus the one county I had snagged.

Alfred of Wessex and Haesteinn do the decision to create England and Danelaw between them instead of the usual flow of the offer being made to me.

I take enough of Wales to form that kingdom ASAP to preserve my realm on inheritance. Alfred takes the last two counties I had to leave alone due to truces.

This is going to potentially get a bit complicated. Haesteinn is 77, Halfdan is in his 50s, both our heirs are disappointing, and Alfred is only in his 30s with only one son. Guess I'll see if I can build and support better Men At Arms than the two of them can for the inevitable wars to come.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    An update:

Haesteinn went deep into the Medical tree and outlived us all by decades.

Halfdan died and my heir inherited at 50something. He did not get a great learning education, but had the full Scholar tree unlocked combined with some artifacts for a sizable learning score.

Alfred the Great died a month before that from illness though and was succeeded by a dwarf son with depression who only had one county holding. And later syphilis. Because he kept hitting up brothels to deal with stress. Who married a Giant woman shortly before he became incapable in his 30s.

His regent and heir was his normal sized sister who held the duchies of Wessex and Hwicce so while her brother was alive I started chipping away at his realm. That is to say I took Dorset in a war and then the duchy of Hwicce. The latter mostly involved having to keep killing off the holy orders that kept popping up and replenishing far faster than any other troop available. The former king of England recently died from a seizure not too long after Haesteinn finally kicked the bucket too. I'm now trying to get my economy in better shape as the fewer starting building slots and stationing men at arms changes things around a lot: I'm not filling up holdings with 2 economy buildings and a military one right away. I did make a hybrid culture to both get a few techs and finally direct research and make use of a really high Learning score so I can take time to pump money into improvements.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I am having a hilarious run with an Emir in Spain with a family line that must have pissed off a horse-wizard somewhere back in the day.

Granddad? Trampled in training.

Father? Not one, not two, but three separate Your Horse Could Be Spooked moments before that third one cracked his head.

Son? Somehow fought against history and tamed a warhorse, but it's now trying to see if it can cause more trouble per year than his actual Rival.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Damn, one of the new feast types lets you red wedding the guests if you have the forever infamous perk

Has anyone tried it?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Damn, one of the new feast types lets you red wedding the guests if you have the forever infamous perk

Has anyone tried it?

Murdering people at weddings is always an option, even without committing to a murder wedding. Though admittedly that usually boils down to "Hey, what's that over the down there over the ledge PUSH." I'm fairly certain you still have to select a target at a murder wedding, though presumably you could move from one target to another if you succeeded (hard to imagine you doing that more than twice). You're basically replacing "friendship" with "murder."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Has anyone tried it?

Murdering people at weddings is always an option, even without committing to a murder wedding. Though admittedly that usually boils down to "Hey, what's that over the down there over the ledge PUSH." I'm fairly certain you still have to select a target at a murder wedding, though presumably you could move from one target to another if you succeeded (hard to imagine you doing that more than twice). You're basically replacing "friendship" with "murder."

The standard CK gameplay path/loop.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How many defenestrations of Prague are too many?
    Trick question; you can never have too many.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

This is incorrect.
    When you've had so many that the person no longer dies from being defenestrated because the pile of bodies below the window is too high to make the fall fatal, you have had too many.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

This is incorrect.
    When you've had so many that the person no longer dies from being defenestrated because the pile of bodies below the window is too high to make the fall fatal, you have had too many.
    That last guy didn’t die from defenestration so much as he landed, looked below him, saw which way the wind was blowing, and casually walked into the sunset, never to be seen again.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Has anyone tried it?

The murder feast is different (maybe) from murdering someone at a wedding or feast. I think it lets you wipe out a bunch of people at once

• Options
    So the son I mentioned earlier, who overcame his horse's zany antics and was hossified enough to be top 10 in prowess worldwide through his late-50s, is coming up on 50 years of rule and I'm going to run a Grand Wedding for his grandson to celebrate - his first in his entire reign.

Why his first? Man had two sons - one was married while I was low on cash, the other was discovered to be the ring leader in the assassination plot against me and was punted from the realm - and NINE daughters. Three in one year span!

• Options
    A few brief notes on my Jorvik game, currently a little into the High Medieval era:

I'm pretty sure the only Crusades that have been called have all targeted me. Admittedly the holy land has been so locked down by an Umayidd blob (how they took over the Abbasid, I have no idea) for so long that I don't entirely blame the AI for not bothering to try. I think I'm going to need to figure out a way to shatter that empire so that there's at least some dynamism in that part of the map.

I've also managed to win them all, largely through Men at Arms and stacking bonuses for Heavy Infantry in my primary duchy. I'm not the biggest fan of the change requiring MaA to be stationed as it does feel like it locks in some building slots in a duchy, but obviously I can manage it far better than the AI. And I think that's a good thing as I could see newer players being overwhelmed by a better AI. Mind you, as a Norse descended ruler, I've had the legacy that increases the size of Heavy Infantry for quite a long time.

I've also had a lot of attempts at Scandinavian adventurers taking over Scotland's duchies from the many Catholic and Orthodox dukes and counts that managed to kick out the Asatru ones. I was originally content to leave the part of the map alone, but having adventures fire off like clockwork got annoying. Naturally, a lot of these have overlapped with Crusades against me.

While defending Great Holy Wars hasn't been a major issue, they're still incredibly unrewarding. Prestige and Piety aren't in very short supply for my rulers. Being able to loot the war chest would go a long way in improving that. As such, I've been chipping away at Italia and now have most of it with a goal of dismantling the papacy. The last Crusade called was to reclaim Romagna instead of England so I guess that was progress? Defending against adventurers is also unrewarding. Based on the war result screen, it almost feels like there's supposed to be a gold payout given the failed instigator loses a bunch of gold but there's a specific line saying 0 gold is awarded to me.

Taking most of Italia has made me even more of a military power. A few counties were Greek culture so I used hybridization to add in Eastern Roman Legacy and now my Varangian Veteran and Huscarl regiments are even bigger. Plus I have Cataphracts. I'm debating hybridizing again with a French culture for their unique Chivalry variant later on.

On the less fun side, I'm really annoyed at some of the requirements knightly accolades can end up with. A lot of them, such as needing a genetic trait for physical health or Whole of Body, are just really rare for an unlanded knight.

I also recently downloaded a mod for abdication. The new Regent mechanics make sense, but after the 2nd ruler who became incapable but held onto life for years it got really boring not being able to actually do anything and mostly just wait for death. I understand why abdication wasn't baked into the base game due to how strong it could be in the hands of a player who could use it willy nilly, but the new systems make playing a ruler no longer able to rule much more of a slog.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    So I noticed that one of my prisoners from the Arabian Empire after a war to seize some islands had no land but a claim to the empire. Well, technically two prisoners as I also captured his child. And I figured that if I couldn't directly break that realm, having a dynasty member as its empress would be a nice Renown boost. And the Arabian emperor that I had originally warred with had died not long after my victory and the successor was still tied up in a war with the ERE. So I converted and recruited the claimant and installed him on the throne, betrothed his son with my daughter, and kept the various duke level vassals of that empire I had in my prison in captivity instead of ransoming them in the hopes of keeping them from joining factions against their new emperor.

Anyway, a Liberty war broke out against the new guy while I was busy rebuilding my MaA siege regiment from mangonels into trebuchets and deposed him. Them another faction to dissolve the realm declared war against his child successor, firing off almost immediately while I was putting down a holy war invading Finland.

So that's the Abbasid/Umayid blob gone all in the span of a few game years.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    . . . oh the things you learn when the main character flips.

So - aforementioned 50+ year reign long-ruler dies. Two sons, to refresh: one that just became the new main character (holy leader, bookish) and one that tried assassination against his dad (evil blackguard and power hungry - should have probably seen it coming). I was mistaken, I did not banish the bad one, actually had him imprisoned for about a year and a half after the attempt was discovered and then he died. I did not examine it deeply, just figured natural causes because, hey, it's prison in a three-digit year. Conditions probably didn't help.

Fast forward to present-day as the first son takes command and I'm setting up the council and seeing what he lost in the transfer of power and I click on memories and . . . uh, yeah natural causes in prison? Not so much! Brother 1 must have taken serious umbrage to his punk sibling going after Pops and personally made absolutely sure the one attempt was the first, last, and only. Considering his weak Intrigue level, I'm stunned he pulled this off with no one else in the realm having any inkling that something went down.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweet! I didn't realise it'd be out today.

There are just too many games I want to play.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwKbVALjXpE

The first Dev Diary talks about Paradox' 'Vision for Persia'

There's some historical background on the region during the Crusader Kings era. There's a Clan rework, a tax rework, some bits on culture, a new Bookmark, and a new Struggle - the Iranian Intermezzo. I'm guessing the Iberian Struggle did well enough for them to do another one.

• Options
    The Reaper shall have their Due.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWUlPnbXUW4

And probably should have been included in the base game, to be honest. The diseases, anyway.

• Options

And probably should have been included in the base game, to be honest. The diseases, anyway.

If new diseases are added, I would imagine they'd be part of the free update portion. We do already have the major ones including the plague though.

Steam Profile
  • Options

If new diseases are added, I would imagine they'd be part of the free update portion. We do already have the major ones including the plague though.

True. But we don't really have epidemics spreading across the map. Just a few event-based, localised outbreaks of those diseases.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Apparently Paradox confirmed the addition of landless play, being able to play as an adventurer where you travel around and get paid for completing tasks for people, even for generations, until you eventually decide to settle down with land you've earned.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Oh I hope there's some supernatural events like the CK2 reaper dlc! That's the main thing I want in CK3 dlc

• Options

True. But we don't really have epidemics spreading across the map. Just a few event-based, localised outbreaks of those diseases.

The part about an epidemic system didn't really come through in the trailer. Had to hunt down a dev log for that. I do like the mention of the dancing sickness that's become a bit of a meme in some history nerd circles.

Really curious to see how the legacy system plays out. The Bloodline traits that were added in CK2 late in its cycle was one of my favorite features and trying to collect others into my line was more interesting than just expanding territory. It created a way to strengthen future characters beyond choosing who boned who and waiting to see the results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

The part about an epidemic system didn't really come through in the trailer. Had to hunt down a dev log for that. I do like the mention of the dancing sickness that's become a bit of a meme in some history nerd circles.

Really curious to see how the legacy system plays out. The Bloodline traits that were added in CK2 late in its cycle was one of my favorite features and trying to collect others into my line was more interesting than just expanding territory. It created a way to strengthen future characters beyond choosing who boned who and waiting to see the results.

I forgot about the bloodlines thing, but yeah, they were super cool. I guess the dynasty tree is supposed to replace that in CK3, but I loved "discovering" that I was descended from Alexander the Great.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Apparently Paradox confirmed the addition of landless play, being able to play as an adventurer where you travel around and get paid for completing tasks for people, even for generations, until you eventually decide to settle down with land you've earned.

Would love to play as the head of a mercenary company (can lease land from current rulers to build guild halls in) with it's own successions and laws mirroring main gameplay, with the option to eventually become a lord outright (through vile betrayal or strategic wars with the assistance of "old clients").

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Would love to play as the head of a mercenary company (can lease land from current rulers to build guild halls in) with it's own successions and laws mirroring main gameplay, with the option to eventually become a lord outright (through vile betrayal or strategic wars with the assistance of "old clients").

Stealing from the Anbennar mod, eh? :D

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

Stealing from the Anbennar mod, eh? :D

The Sons of Dameria will return to reclaim their birthright from the usurpers!

Ahem. Which is to say there are certainly worse places to take ideas from.