As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Zombie: Back Tonight? Sure Final Season?

1262728293032»

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Seems like they are canceling all the female-fronted shows, with these three going away.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'd comment but that'd involve me knowing some other shows on CW...

Wait, they do the DC stuff right? Supergirl is female fronted.

Though really I think this is just a "class" of shows aging out. Five seasons is a pretty good run. While I actually enjoyed this weeks episode with super best boyfriend Ravi the show feels like it needs to start resolving big plot lines and actually hit a conclusion at some point.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    JonBob wrote: »
    Seems like they are canceling all the female-fronted shows, with these three going away.

Supergirl and The 100 are both female led. Legends of tomorrow is a mix, with Sara arguably being the lead. Female representation is never an issue that the CW has had.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Given the dip in quality this season, seems like a good time to let them build to an ending. I'm curious if (recent spoilers)
    Eating Isabel's brain grants her immunity to the zombie virus, at least temporarily. Because otherwise I'm not sure what the point of that arc was. Well acted and everything, but I'm not sure it developed anyone's character very much.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I'm really glad they announced this as a final season, because it means they'll resist the urge to try to end on another cliff hanger which they have no idea how to deliver on.

The show has run out of steam, because they keep trying to expand the world. A final season ought to give them a reason to focus down on the core story they want to tell.

• Options
    So making Major a...
    kidnapper and if they had sex, rapist, is a bold choice. God, this season is a mess.

• Options
    So I have totally forgotten what happened last season, but apparently this is back tonight.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ah...stuff? Yeah, stuff happened.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I really miss when this show could be summarised as "a zombie solves crimes" instead of whatever the fuck it's turned into.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Burnage wrote: »
    I really miss when this show could be summarised as "a zombie solves crimes" instead of whatever the fuck it's turned into.

On this note: I hope the Veronica Mars reboot is good. It has Patton Oswalt and JK Simmons in it, apparently!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Dr. White, Dr. Rich, and Dr. Mann

• Options
    I thought this show was canceled last season? I distinctly remember that being announced. I was very surprised when I realized too late a new episode was airing last night.

• Options
    It was renewed for a final season.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah it's the kind of cancellation where they give you 13 episodes to wrap this shit up

i haven't seen the premiere yet but i'm very excited

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    yeah it's the kind of cancellation where they give you 13 episodes to wrap this shit up

The kind of cancellation most shows should get tbh

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

It was... not great.

Not terrible, but it just felt like trying to get things set up so interesting stuff could happen down the line.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

It was... not great.

Not terrible, but it just felt like trying to get things set up so interesting stuff could happen down the line.

I disagree, I thought it was actively bad. Feels like another genre show that disappeared up its own butt. Also: Francis Capra does not look well, frankly.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The show is definitely different than how it was the first 2 seasons. Making almost everyone a zombie really hurt things, IMO, and took away from Liv's uniqueness.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm torn on the direction it took.

On the one hand, I respect the show taking big chances instead of just being content with being ZomBones. Some of the best shows on television - Breaking Bad, The Good Place, Crazy Ex Girlfriend - were willing to completely blow up their premise, and went from being good to being revelatory.

On the other hand, I don't think the show quite knew what to do with all of its ambition. I'm curious where is going, but i'm also kinda glad it's ending.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

On the one hand, I respect the show taking big chances instead of just being content with being ZomBones. Some of the best shows on television - Breaking Bad, The Good Place, Crazy Ex Girlfriend - were willing to completely blow up their premise, and went from being good to being revelatory.

On the other hand, I don't think the show quite knew what to do with all of its ambition. I'm curious where is going, but i'm also kinda glad it's ending.
    Yeah, like I have no interest in
    Liv as Renegade, and following the adventures of her minions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, like I have no interest in
    Liv as Renegade, and following the adventures of her minions.

I, on the other hand, am 100% on board for a whole season+ of that.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Well that was a series finale.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I gave up on this season around episode 4. Should I bother?

• Options

Maybe? The season was pretty hit and miss. I feel like a lot of the plots weren't fully realized, but I usually just watch for the characters which pretty much delivered all around.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

You could watch the final two episodes of the season and miss almost nothing from the overall plot arc. The series and finale were both fine, but there was a hell of a lot of filler material in them.

I dunno, I walked away from this still feeling like the show peaked in its first couple of seasons. They at least managed to wrap things up in a mostly satisfying ending.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You could feel them run out of budget and time in the last ten minutes.

But honestly I'm just kinda happy that the show got to end properly.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    One thing worth noting: if you remember the first zombie immune girl, the same actress is GREAT on the fourth season of Veronica Mars. To the point I kind of want a reimagining of the series starring her.

Izabela Vidovic is the actress's name.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    She also played a younger version of Kara on Supergirl.

The finale... it felt like they stapled on the last part of it after finding out way too late that they were cancelled, even though that's not what happened.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I feel like if they had an extra hour they wouldn't have had to rush through the last 10 minutes or so.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I really enjoy this show, and thought that was a satisfying ending, but man the way they handled the last 10 minutes was not good at all. Cut one of the filler episodes from the season (which I still enjoyed!) and give me a full episode of post final battle resolution (or just make the finale an hour and a half).

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That wasn’t great. Disappointing, but hey we got three good seasons.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    My bar for TV series ending is extremely low and this surpassed that. They definitely bit off more than they could chew and cut a lot of corners, but at least the characters all got some form of resolution.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods