Options

itt: fashion

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's a good haircut. Actually if you grow a beard I think I see a career ahead of you as a David Mitchell impersonator.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    SE++ are there fashionable shorts?

If so, what do they look like?

Sadly, I only have large brown shoes, so nothing feels like it looks right.

OR

barring that, are there light weight material pants that exist? My problem is that I'm stuck with one pair of shoes due to foot problems and they're clunky and brown and ugly but they go with my work khakis

Xaquin on
  • Options
    it depends on the occasion

also fashionable as in on-trend, or fashionable as in looks good and not ridiculous
    because the former is easier than the latter

eg:

looks good

990de6d640524c8465d02a84561c678e.jpg

7582783928_32095bb26d_o.jpg

on-trend

01-London-Street-Style-Year-2012-Septblog.jpg

denim-shorts-for-men-fashionlayering----denim-shorts-mens-fashion-blog-5kkvcqat.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'll go with looks good

A jacket with shorts?! What?

Thanks!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That last one, it's like trying to read a sentence that doesn't adhere to any known grammar.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I was going to say hemmed chinos seem to be a pretty good call for shorts right now.

And then we get that photo proof

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    SE++ are there fashionable shorts?

If so, what do they look like?

Sadly, I only have large brown shoes, so nothing feels like it looks right.

OR

barring that, are there light weight material pants that exist? My problem is that I'm stuck with one pair of shoes due to foot problems and they're clunky and brown and ugly but they go with my work khakis

Linnen pants exist and are godsend during summer.

• Options
    I would love linen pants, but am (alas) a poor man =(

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the only time I can think of wearing a jacket of some sort is when you're out running or something and have exercise shorts on

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I wear a jacket and shorts form time to time. I like air on my balls and I don't give a fuck.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

7582783928_32095bb26d_o.jpg

damn this dude is ready to eat the hell outta some brunch

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    I bet he has a recess snack in his natty satchel.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I bet he has a recess snack in his natty satchel.

I have no idea what the fuck this sentence means

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    i know exactly what it means but im not telling

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it reminds me a little of those tin lunch pails

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    crwwwwwwth

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    i got a new shirt from h&m last weekend and wore it out last night
    eBJe31Pl.jpg

(i am not sober in this picture i apologize)

i also wore shorts which goes against my usual "no going out downtown in shorts" rule

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    @Creagan
    Here are some pictures of the fabric. Not sure what kind of picture to take of the fabric. I can take more pictures of any particular part if that helps.

That is the first suit, the Men's Warehouse one.
    w7mt13z0idzr.jpg

This is the Express one. I notice right away that there is a little hole or snag in the fabric on the right just below the shoulder, so I'll probably exchange it for a different one in the same size. Or similar size.
    8sxj4q2zwjlz.jpg

speaking of size recommendations, @Blake T

When you say the shoulders seem a bit wrong what do you mean exactly, what should I be looking for in the shoulder? I'm aware that you aren't supposed to button both buttons on the jacket, but I was talking to the lady and pondering that it was kind of silly to have a button you aren't supposed to use, so I buttoned it and those were the photos that weren't blurry. If you see the bowtie pic, it has the buttons done correctly. I'll retake some photos later with my hands out of my pockets. There were some, but they didn't turn out either. In real life I'm going to have my hands in my pockets about 100% of the time in that suit.
    JebusUD wrote: »
    @Creagan
    Here are some pictures of the fabric. Not sure what kind of picture to take of the fabric. I can take more pictures of any particular part if that helps.

That is the first suit, the Men's Warehouse one.
    w7mt13z0idzr.jpg

This is the Express one. I notice right away that there is a little hole or snag in the fabric on the right just below the shoulder, so I'll probably exchange it for a different one in the same size. Or similar size.
    8sxj4q2zwjlz.jpg

speaking of size recommendations, @Blake T

When you say the shoulders seem a bit wrong what do you mean exactly, what should I be looking for in the shoulder? I'm aware that you aren't supposed to button both buttons on the jacket, but I was talking to the lady and pondering that it was kind of silly to have a button you aren't supposed to use, so I buttoned it and those were the photos that weren't blurry. If you see the bowtie pic, it has the buttons done correctly. I'll retake some photos later with my hands out of my pockets. There were some, but they didn't turn out either. In real life I'm going to have my hands in my pockets about 100% of the time in that suit.

I just needed closer photos of the fabric to see if there was some kind of subtle check pattern or something, since I can't tell from my phone screen. (Sometimes it's hard to tell.) Since the suit's solid, you don't have to worry about the fabric as much. (Although I would exchange the express one, given the defect you described.)

Blake can probably explain this better than me, but with shoulders, you basically want the top seam to run all the way to the end of your shoulder. The sleve should meet the torso where your arm meets your shoulder. Basically, the goal is straight lines. If you're standing naturally and the fabric's puckering or wrinkled, chances are something doesn't fit.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Not fashion per se
    But
    New workout clothes
    Yay Marshall's
    marshalls is the best for that ish so cheap

AKGrlRkl.jpg

poo
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    -1 point for not taking a picture of yourself on a treadmill or elliptical while wearing a Flash shirt

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i got a new shirt from h&m last weekend and wore it out last night
    eBJe31Pl.jpg

(i am not sober in this picture i apologize)

i also wore shorts which goes against my usual "no going out downtown in shorts" rule

if your beard gets any bigger it's going to start hunting at night

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The irony is I suppose that I never run

poo
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I love Marshalls and TJ Maxx for workout clothes. And everything else in life.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I was excited to start wearing my brown knee-high boots for spring, now that it's no longer 30 degrees out

but suddenly it's 80 degrees out

sneakers and flip-flops it is!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I want Marshall's to be a good resource for work out clothes for me, but all of the shorts they sell are way too long, even for my giant legs

This is mostly just a consistent problem with men's athletic wear though

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    -1 point for not taking a picture of yourself on a treadmill or elliptical while wearing a Flash shirt

He actually did, but he beat the camera!

Alternately, the Flash is the same speed as everyone else when he's standing still!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    See now those pictures, Nic

First guy and last guy are way more swag/on-point than second and third imo

But maybe they're just better photos and their clothes fit better, second guy has hells of wrinkles in his shirt and not in an artistic way. Also I'm not sure that shirt fits very well.

Ditto third guy's pants. What the honest fuck are those pants, buy something flattering, jhc

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    umm yeah that wasn't really what I was trying to demonstrate

I was contrasting "looking good" (but not necessarily stylish or in-fashion) vs looking in-fashion but weird/bad
    Second guy was not meant to be on-point fashion-wise but just looked comfy, casual, natural and was wearing clothes that fitted :P Like I wouldn't wear that to be stylish but if you're going to a mates bbq it's basically fine.

Third guy probably wasn't the best pick, I didn't spend ages looking, but was hunting out dumbass hipster trends that look poor. Most of the ones I found were formal knee-length tight shorts with too-tight blazers, I didn't even bother including them. So dumb.

First guy hits it out of the ballpark all round though

tynic on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he definitely does

I don't hate the outfit the last guy has, except for the heavier coat, I suppose

Although

I mean I wear short skirts/shorts and tights in the winter with heavy coats, so who the hell am I to judge

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I don't hate it, but I think it's overdone. Heavy coat AND button-up vest? to me, that tips it from "looking awesome" to "trying really obviously to pull off a THING"

• Options
    shorts and tights and a heavy coat is a great look and I will defend it to the death

shorts and bare legs and three or four layers on top, however, looks like you just got confused in the morning.

• Options
    i am all about the second dude's look

casual brunch/lunch/bbq/poolside looks own a lot

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    shorts and tights and a heavy coat is a great look and I will defend it to the death

shorts and bare legs and three or four layers on top, however, looks like you just got confused in the morning.

two layers with shorts is a thing I do, my legs just don't get cold at all while my torso can

three or four? that's just hubris

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular

Yeah, wearing shorts and taking a jacket, or light coat, makes sense- some times it cools off as the day passes.

Shorts, with that many layers or a heavy coat, is stupid. And coincidentally, something my brother did in high school.

He came into the house bellowing, 'Mom! I need a new coat! This one is worthless! My walk home was freezing!'

Mom looked Shawn up and down. His coat was unzipped. Despite the snow on the ground, he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt under said coat. And drinking a slushie.

I believe Mom's exact words were, 'Excuse me while I burst into derisive laughter.'

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

This was how Ancient Greeks used to dress in cold weather!

• Options
    (minus the shorts I guess)

• Options
    I read a book which talked at length about the Greeks' proclivity for horizontal layering

Clothes worn in a vertical fashion (like a shirt and trousers) might actually have been distressing for them, at least barbarous

• Options
    i don't know how they got around in all that. I have trouble figuring out particularly baggy jumpers.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I read a book which talked at length about the Greeks' proclivity for horizontal layering

Clothes worn in a vertical fashion (like a shirt and trousers) might actually have been distressing for them, at least barbarous

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by horizontal layering

• Options
This discussion has been closed.