• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    maybe if he wasn't going commando

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I read a book which talked at length about the Greeks' proclivity for horizontal layering

Clothes worn in a vertical fashion (like a shirt and trousers) might actually have been distressing for them, at least barbarous

I'm not sure I understand what is meant by horizontal layering

Most Greek garments were rectangular pieces of cloth which were wrapped around the body and fastened with fibulae and belts

In cold weather, Greek men and women would wrap another piece of cloth around themselves and wear it as a mantle - they also often would not wear caps, instead draping part of their mantle over their heads

Other cultures, in contrast, wore tailored clothes including trousers which would be much more familiar to us

Platy on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I read a book which talked at length about the Greeks' proclivity for horizontal layering

Clothes worn in a vertical fashion (like a shirt and trousers) might actually have been distressing for them, at least barbarous

Wraps vs tubular clothing

edit: Platy's non-lazy answer is better

Veldrin on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If you look at this picture, you can see how the peplos Athena is wearing is fastened at the shoulders

She's not wearing a separate skirt, instead part of the garment is gathered and draped over itself below the belt (a belt like this could sometimes also be worn just below the breasts)

Here's a Roman example of how a wealthy woman would wear a mantle

Greek men wore short garments which means they were probably accustomed to catching glimpses of each others' penises - Xenophon made a point of advising riders to mount horses in a certain way in order not to expose their buttocks in an undignified manner

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Wraps vs tubular clothing

edit: Platy's non-lazy answer is better

Totally tubular clothes, man.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    could I BE wearing anymore clothes

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i love concert tees. are concert tees cool or lame

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    i love concert tees. are concert tees cool or lame

they are the coolest.

this is undebatable fact.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Would you wear an ICP concert tee, Clint?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    that's a relief!

VkVTrY0.jpg?1

this is me irl.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    that's a relief!

VkVTrY0.jpg?1

this is me irl.

10616503_10152675853488279_8376341045031661282_n.jpg?oh=b14e7e9185f7b5e9af9d4513b66fcd21&oe=55DCB1EC

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DAMN SON

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    you're a t-shirt?

• Options
    Shabooty wrote: »
    you're a t-shirt?

yes.

• Options
    that explains ALL MY GREAT THREADS

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fashion thread, I have a problem.

I got my dark blue highlights done only two weeks ago. I've washed my hair three times since with supposedly coloured hair shampoo.

But the blue has lightened significantly. My roots have gone almost golden on colour, the same golden that my hair was when the bleaching was done before the colour was added. And the blue itself is faded to this awkward pale silvery aquamarine type colour.

The lady at the salon told me the Blue would lighten eventually, but I wasn't expecting it to do so this quickly.

Should I go back and complain? Go somewhere else and how it can be fixed? Or just take this as a sign that I really should never colour my hair ever again?

Other than that I'm still super happy with how my hair looks. Hubby helped me reshave around my ears and the back of my neck. When I have my hair up in a ponytail now it almost looks like a mohawk. Almost.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It always happens with those colours, they just don't stick.

Might just have to start doing it once a week or so by yourself.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Now I wanna see Blake with blue hair.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    There are ways to touch it up- like using Manic Panic. And staying away from alcohol-based styling products is supposed to help.

But @ceres would know way more about blue hair than me.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2015
    So this is me:
    pxeest2evlrf.jpg
    and hello yes my hair has been dark blue for 5 1/2 years. The thing about dark blue is that it's the hardest color to get in... and the hardest to get out. Getting it in so that it sticks is really tricky and very dependent upon the dye you're using and just how apocalyptic your bleach job was, but the the remnants of it need to be dyed black or grown out because they will NEVER go away and your hair will be an awful swampwater green until you make one of those two things happen.

I've had the best luck with Pravana, which is what I use now. I don't know if they have that over in NZ, but I've never really encountered anything that sticks as well and comes out as slowly (and makes as little a mess of your shower). Manic Panic is a bust now; they've changed their Aftermidnight Blue for compliance reasons, and it no longer stays in past the initial rinse. It's a shame, I used that for years and it was my favorite.

Protip 1: Bleach the everloving shit out of your hair first (or have it done). You rely on that damage to give the dye places to get into. The more porous and broken your hair, the better your color will look and the longer the dye will stay. It's a balancing act between "damaged" and "breaking off an inch from the roots", and that's a line I've definitely crossed when I was younger. Not a pretty thing. It's necessary to mess it up a bit though, or you just won't get any longevity out of a dark blue.

Protip 2: If you're going for a very dark blue (which you can see better in the picture below, without the sun directly on it)
    k85s2ygxkxdo.jpg
    the absolute BEST way to stave off the green is to put a whole bunch of (the same brand of) dark purple in there. You want the majority to be the dark blue, but up to a quarter of it can be that dark purple. If you use that much purple, your hair will have a purple tint through the first wash or two, but you'll keep that dark blue a lot longer and it won't end up nearly so green. The blue also ends up darker overall, which is what I look for.

Protip 3: Don't wash your hair. Seriously. Let it go as long as you can; you'll keep the color a lot longer between dye jobs. It's math: if a dye lasts through 8 shampoos, you can keep it for about 8 weeks before it really needs to be done again if you only wash it out once a week. My hair is long, so I can get away with doing that.

Protip 4: Stay out of the sun, or put your hair under a hat when you go outside. The sun will lighten the color.

Protip 5: I've had the absolute best luck with Biolage shampoo and conditioner.. the one with the cherry blossoms on it, I forget what it's called. I've used a bunch of things that are okay for color but that seems to do the most to spare it and has also left my hair the softest.

TL;DR: Dark blue is a pain in the ass to keep up but it's my default hair color now and totally worth it.

This has been your intro to the trials of having dark blue hair.

PS: This is what the Pravana looks like fresh, with a bit less of the purple than usual. This was taken yesterday just after I had it done, whereas the job in the other two was about a month old and you can start to see the roots and the green a bit more:
    blaui8h5wd6s.jpg

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thanks, Ceres!

It was done on a complete whim and never really intended to be a permanent change, just something new for a while.

so I'll probably just deal with the swamp water green until it's grown out enough to cut and then live my life like normal.

wish I'd mentioned it in here before going though, that would have been good knowledge to have lol. Ah well, live and learn.

Also, your hair is awesome and you're awesome.

But I'm totally keeping my sides shaved. I love how it looks/feels

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    these 6 dollar t shirts from uniqlo are v comfy

some weird material combo

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    So this is me:
    pxeest2evlrf.jpg
    and hello yes my hair has been dark blue for 5 1/2 years. The thing about dark blue is that it's the hardest color to get in... and the hardest to get out. Getting it in so that it sticks is really tricky and very dependent upon the dye you're using and just how apocalyptic your bleach job was, but the the remnants of it need to be dyed black or grown out because they will NEVER go away and your hair will be an awful swampwater green until you make one of those two things happen.

I've had the best luck with Pravana, which is what I use now. I don't know if they have that over in NZ, but I've never really encountered anything that sticks as well and comes out as slowly (and makes as little a mess of your shower). Manic Panic is a bust now; they've changed their Aftermidnight Blue for compliance reasons, and it no longer stays in past the initial rinse. It's a shame, I used that for years and it was my favorite.

Protip 1: Bleach the everloving shit out of your hair first (or have it done). You rely on that damage to give the dye places to get into. The more porous and broken your hair, the better your color will look and the longer the dye will stay. It's a balancing act between "damaged" and "breaking off an inch from the roots", and that's a line I've definitely crossed when I was younger. Not a pretty thing. It's necessary to mess it up a bit though, or you just won't get any longevity out of a dark blue.

Protip 2: If you're going for a very dark blue (which you can see better in the picture below, without the sun directly on it)
    k85s2ygxkxdo.jpg
    the absolute BEST way to stave off the green is to put a whole bunch of (the same brand of) dark purple in there. You want the majority to be the dark blue, but up to a quarter of it can be that dark purple. If you use that much purple, your hair will have a purple tint through the first wash or two, but you'll keep that dark blue a lot longer and it won't end up nearly so green. The blue also ends up darker overall, which is what I look for.

Protip 3: Don't wash your hair. Seriously. Let it go as long as you can; you'll keep the color a lot longer between dye jobs. It's math: if a dye lasts through 8 shampoos, you can keep it for about 8 weeks before it really needs to be done again if you only wash it out once a week. My hair is long, so I can get away with doing that.

Protip 4: Stay out of the sun, or put your hair under a hat when you go outside. The sun will lighten the color.

Protip 5: I've had the absolute best luck with Biolage shampoo and conditioner.. the one with the cherry blossoms on it, I forget what it's called. I've used a bunch of things that are okay for color but that seems to do the most to spare it and has also left my hair the softest.

TL;DR: Dark blue is a pain in the ass to keep up but it's my default hair color now and totally worth it.

This has been your intro to the trials of having dark blue hair.

PS: This is what the Pravana looks like fresh, with a bit less of the purple than usual. This was taken yesterday just after I had it done, whereas the job in the other two was about a month old and you can start to see the roots and the green a bit more:
    blaui8h5wd6s.jpg

I feel like I am saying this to everyone that posts in this thread these days, but you are totes adorbz, ceres!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Well, thank you. <3

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    What Ceres said!

Manic Panic is crap, but I've had pretty good luck with Special FX (which is a British brand and might be available in NZ?)

Also conditioner washing and/or dry shampoo, or if you absolutely feel you need real shampoo then find some hippie stuff without any sulfates

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    i got second place in the 3sixteen denim fade contest! FABULOUS PRIZES~

e: here are some pictures!

here is my pair after a year of wear:
    nVelTQel.jpg

and this is the first place guy's pair, he definitely deserved to win
    ImRU3dcl.jpg

i can trade in my pair for a new pair, and i get store credit at 3sixteen and self edge

it was fun!

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I have returned suit one and kept suit two. I exchanged the coat for a more perfect one, though the employees looked at me like I was crazy.

I noticed too that the first coat had black buttons while the vest had a swirly grey, the new coat has the same grey buttons. Now, just need to get it tailored.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    hey guys i need to dye my beard pastel pink

because

i want to
    its like 2 inches long at least its pretty great but i guess i need to bleach it from brown and then dye it how do i do this without burning my face off has anyone here dyed a beard before

• Options
    I on a whim tonight bought a box of some l'oreal hair dye of the blackest/bluest black.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it or not. but I'm at least strongly considering it.

I've got some dry shampoo from Lush, but it just doesn't seem to help. or work, or maybe i'm using it wrong. but I can't go more than 3 days, 4 at most, without washing/shampooing my hair. otherwise it gets oily/greasy/heavy to the point of actually causing headaches.

I wish I had a banana clip though. Because I am pretty positive that with a banana clip applied to my hair correctly, I would look like I have a mohawk.

I just have no idea if they make/sell banana clips anymore. lol.

• Options
    RubberAC wrote: »
    hey guys i need to dye my beard pastel pink

because

i want to
    its like 2 inches long at least its pretty great but i guess i need to bleach it from brown and then dye it how do i do this without burning my face off has anyone here dyed a beard before

I would get it professionally done, at least the first time. Even if you want to do it on your own after that you'll have an idea of how to protect your face.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ermagerd ermagerd ermagerd WANT

tumblr_n50ujwVnfg1rqoxrro1_540.jpg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    that is a damn classy outfit

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Seeing all the hair knowledge is impressive! I hate dealing with hair but would probably look sort of ridiculous without it.

It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I've managed to make it to 30 with pretty much no idea how to get my hair cut. My refrain is generally "try make it look better I guess?" and it's annoying. I hate getting my haircut so I just wait till it gets annoyingly long and shitty looking, then go get a bunch of it cut off. I know it's totally my problem, but I get anxious every time I get the "so how do you want it cut?" question. Stammering "I don't know please help me professional hair person!" is always a fear.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    step 1: find lots and lots of pictures of people who you think look good
    step 2: narrow those pictures down to people with your approximate face shape (and hopefully hair type)
    step 3: find a decent hairdresser (no $10 cut places unless you're damn sure the person there is a wizard) and show the hairdresser the picture and say "can you make my hair look like this please?"

Pro-tips:
    - some expensive hairdressers are crap, or crap at certain hair types. If they have a website, it pays to see if they have any pictures of customers on it so you can see what kind of hair they cut. Also if you're going into a new place ask for someone who specifically is good at your hair type (curly and thick, thin and wavy, dead straight, etc)
    - even with a good hairdresser, it can take some time to really nail down the style that works for you. You should always walk out feeling good - don't feel like you have to give people a second chance if they screwed up - but it's worth going back to the same person a few times so you can both get comfortable with your hair and how to handle it
    - similar to the above, hairdressers will usually be a bit cautious the first time they cut your hair because they don't want to do something drastic and have you get mad at them. So if you're gonna be doing something radically different, it's a good idea to let them know you're aware this is a departure from your normal style - or again, build up to it over a few cuts.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thank you @tynic ! I typically get my hair cut while traveling for work (longer hair = longer time between meeting with clients and pretending to be an adult) and tend to go to crummy old barber shops because I guess I find them less intimidating than salons. As unbelievable as it may sound, it has never occurred to me to use photos as a reference, but that makes a lot of sense.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm at a point where if I go a full year without cutting my hair, it'll probably grow back to the length it was before my last major haircut. (Just below waist.)

I don't have splits, so a hair cut isn't necessary right now. If I just keep trimming my bangs as needed, the length could easily go a year without getting cut at all. Possibly two.

But I have bangs again. I've never had bangs and hair down to my waist. And I'm not sure if letting it get that long with bangs is a good idea. My hair's getting to the point where, when I was a kid, my mom would usually insist on cutting it. (Because it was so long, it was heavier and pulling down at the sides, making me look like a "pinhead.")

That being said, my bangs are a little different than they used to be- originally, they were cut according to the way my hair grew as a baby. Now they're not as far down the sides of my face, if that makes any sense. And my hair's a bit wavier than it used to be. So maybe letting it get super long again wouldn't be ugly?

I dunno.

Creagan on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    When I had a full fringe / bangs I found that after my hair grew to my collar bone it didn't suit me anymore, but that was a lot to do with my face shape, I'll probably keep my hair no longer than my shoulders now.

Sounds like youre lucky and your hair doesn't go funny at the ends!

• Options
    It can, but only when it's too short in places, oddly enough. I could never do a pixie because when the sides are short, they curl out in opposite directions, looking like devil horns.

Actually, anything shorter than arm-pit-length just looks terrible on me. (I know because I experimented with pseudo-short hair when I grew my bangs out.) But that's a face-shape thing, like you said.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I went to a friend's wedding today and got all gussied up! Turns out that most people showed up in jeans and just a white button up shirt with cowboy boots and hats, so I was a bit overdressed but oh well!
    11269291_918791828144035_723429266525923557_o.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Rad tie! Better overdressed I reckon.

This discussion has been closed.