As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So I just built my first gunpla! It was fun, built a HG Barbatos. This thing is way bigger than I thought it would be!

It's getting a primer layer tonight as I'm going to repaint the whole thing.

I also got the commander graze and it's cool how the grappling hook can actually be attached to the Barbatos too.

they're both pretty awesome; also I'm surprised the Wire for the hook is actually a flexible wire, I had been expecting a static plastic piece

Right now just got them lined up with my RG 00 Raiser and HG G-Self kits, with the 00 holding up it's big GN Sword in a mix of slightly actiony and neutral posture, a neutral posture for G-Self but with the head looking up, Barbatos readying to smack something with the mace in a readied stance and the Graze kind of just pointing the gun while looking around

I'm going to have to check my box, because I'm pretty sure I didn't get a wire for it. I thought I needed to do that with a bit of brass rod or something.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So I just built my first gunpla! It was fun, built a HG Barbatos. This thing is way bigger than I thought it would be!

It's getting a primer layer tonight as I'm going to repaint the whole thing.

I also got the commander graze and it's cool how the grappling hook can actually be attached to the Barbatos too.

they're both pretty awesome; also I'm surprised the Wire for the hook is actually a flexible wire, I had been expecting a static plastic piece

Right now just got them lined up with my RG 00 Raiser and HG G-Self kits, with the 00 holding up it's big GN Sword in a mix of slightly actiony and neutral posture, a neutral posture for G-Self but with the head looking up, Barbatos readying to smack something with the mace in a readied stance and the Graze kind of just pointing the gun while looking around

I'm going to have to check my box, because I'm pretty sure I didn't get a wire for it. I thought I needed to do that with a bit of brass rod or something.

It's very tiny, easily lost

It's basically just a very small piece of plastic-coated wire

here's Dalong's pic:

ibh03_runner3.jpg

Speaking of, looks like Dalong'll be posting a review for the 1/100 Schwalbe Graze soon; runner and manual pics are up now

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just ordered a second 1/144 RX-79(g) and a 1/144 RX-79(g) EZ-8 to go with my one Ground war set RX-79(g) to round out the squad.

They both had prime shipping on amazon which is really how I decide most of my Gunpla choices.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    my twitter timeline has been full of gunpla talk lately so i finally broke and bought a barbatos

i have not done this since middle school when you could get gundam wing gunpla from like target

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So my 1/100 EW Sandrock showed up early!

20160129_192832_zps2welm9fh.jpg

With cloak.

20160131_093941_zpstc6ahp1u.jpg

Size comparison with my X Maoh (the one with the busted wing)

20160131_094555_zpslgirvgls.jpg

The damn shotels are bigger than all my 1/144 models.

Prime trial ran out yesterday so I grabbed a Zaku II, Hyakuri, and High-Mobility Graze before it did.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Finished painting my Barbatos.

pmmWf5RSj
    Pretty happy with it, I didn't use the stickers, choosing to hand paint all those components. The yellow I painted gold to better match the anime, and you cant see it in the photo but I used a metallic medium to repaint the blue with a metallic sheer

Norgoth on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Did you do a full paint, or just lining and the details?

Heffling on
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Did you do a full paint, or just lining and the details?

On the white I just did lining, I tried some schemes on the alternate arm and I couldn't find one I was happier with than lining.

All the lining was done with a brush though. Everything else is painted

• Options
    Did you paint with something other than a brush?

• Options
    I jumped back into the Real Grade pool, this time with the Astray Red Frame

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm panel lining and decalling my RG Astray and I absolutely love it.

• Options

might be Air brushing. I know I'd like to look into that for painting kits in the future.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

might be Air brushing. I know I'd like to look into that for painting kits in the future.

All the work was done with a brush.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Big fan of that chubby lil' Gusion guy. Definitely gonna have to grab one of those.

In other news, Koto's Metal Gear Sahelanthropus is released! :o

Sitting in HLJ's private warehouse now. Was gonna send it to Lady Raven's place, due to being of a scary size and price that would probably get some hefty fees slapped on it if it came through UK customs. US doesn't seem to care about gunpla tho, so... Only downside is, I don't get to build this thing I'm mad hype for until I move over permanent style in the (hopefully near) future.

But one thing I can do is get ready for it! I decided I want to do this thing justice, and will be attempting to do the camo pattern. Will be getting an airbrush, and practising on Koto MG REX first! ;p
    10349509t.jpg

So, I have this scan of the paint page for Sahelly, was wondering if there are any Japanese readers in here would be up for translating the titles of each section? Like, I can guess a few from context (guessing the top left one is an optional colour for the cockpit warning light? Either trans blue for 'search' and trans red for 'alert'?) but I am getting stuck on some of the lower ones. There's three in close proximity that look like the camo colours, but its tough to pick them out.

And I'm also guessing one of these three will be the natural colour of the plastic, out of the box. Folks with experience doing camo paint jobs, would you say its worth spraying a layer of that colour on anyway as a base, before doing the contrast colous? Was nerding out at one of the other pages showing off the camo pattern. It's so coooooool aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I just bought HG Unicorn Destroy Mode, and I was surprised to see that the sticker sheet is the size of a stamp. Very few stickers. 1 for the eyes, 1 for the scope on the gun, and 2 tiny white stickers that go near the shoulders. Makes sense I guess, the box is rather big for an HG, and it runs for ~$20. All the clear red parts are actual plastic, not stickers. It's almost a 6 year old kit, but it's still impressive.

• Options
    Boy, the character art in the side of the box, of who I assume is the pilot, of this Hyakuri is sure a thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I don't really see anything too egregious about her

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Just put in my preorder for the REX rerelease, though i'm gonna set it aside til i get some experience painting stuff

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I don't really see anything too egregious about her

At least on the box she has got some really creepy dead eye thing going on.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Welp, bought my first Gundam, it's the Barbatos.

Should be arriving next week!

And I got it for basically free because I discovered I had 15 bucks in Amazon cash back on my Discover

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »

it was fun but boy do i hate stickers

May I recommend the Revive Guncannon, then?

Almost no stickers!

• Options
    Built the old ass Zaku II I bought yesterday.

20160204_214623_zpsvc0ivx3z.jpg

It doesn't even have a waist joint! Still real happy with him, and having the Zaku be my oldest kit is kind of fitting.

Also finally got the damn X Maoh's wing fixed. Pretty sure if I try and move it it will break again, but at least it's on there. It's kind of a pain to pose anyway.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

it was fun but boy do i hate stickers

May I recommend the Revive Guncannon, then?

Almost no stickers!

The guncannon looks super good with extra stickers though. I used all those tiny text block stickers from my RG Zaku II and put some on it here and there.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Got my Eazy-8 and second Ground Type Gundam. Built the majority of the Easy-8 last night. I am saddened that the spare magazines are built into the hip armor and do not detach like on the Ground Type.

• Options
    God damn the High Mobility Graze is sweet.

Almost Zone of the Enders esque, especially the head.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    God damn the High Mobility Graze is sweet.

Almost Zone of the Enders esque, especially the head.

Speaking of ZoE esque:

• Options
    I can't think of an IBO mobile suit that i hate

they're all real cool

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    There's a glimpse of some new ones in the new intro, including ones with similar heads to the Hyakuri. Sold. Give me all of them.

Have the Gusion Rebake on the way and eyeing what I could have with the Grimgerde...

Edit: Found them
    jxxzy7qw4wls.png

EidolonOrpheus on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    So I just built destiny gundam, which is a cool kit, lots of extra bits. But one bit in particular the best. It comes with a flight stand for two gundams so you can build a kick ass space fight diorama.

Guess Barbatos and the commander graze are gonna be set up real nice

Edit: I did it and it's awsome

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Double post because it wouldn't edit the image in

VxtXc3.jpg

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

they're all real cool

I just hope we get a Spinner Rodi.

I love that shitty little thing.

• Options
    I built my second RX-79(g). This one stand alone and not from the Ground War set. Pretty much cemented my opinion that it is my favorite gunpla so far just based on quality, sturdiness, and accessories.

Strangely it seemed to be slightly improved over the Ground War set version in that the squad number choices for the shield were stickers and not model decals like the ground war version.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

they're all real cool

I just hope we get a Spinner Rodi.

I love that shitty little thing.

At the very least I hope for a Gundam Converge down the line:

EDIT: Alternately if for the non-SD version:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    i did build another kit

Ca0rn6xUYAIv4MZ.jpg

• Options
    Dem hips!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    THE BARBATOS HAS ARRIVED

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    THE BARBATOS HAS ARRIVED

Raise your flag, Blank.

Meanwhile, I've got the Rebake coming. Looks like sticker hell, but it also looks so cool.

• Options
    Wish it had a better color scheme. I went with OG gusion

• Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Ugh, what was supposed to be one major surgery ended up turning into two. With a third likely in a month or so. This has absolutely killed my model time. Which is kinda bad since I also build professionally (thank God for understanding clients). Of course, that hasn't stopped me from still buying stuff for the day in the far off future when I can actually build again. This monster arrived yesterday...

pieyks7adl90.jpg

It's from Mechanicore (the same basic crew under a new name that did the Kshatriya I customized) and is basically a stylized Deep Striker. Comes with lots of LEDs and other goodies. Note the soda can for size comparison. Also, this box easily dwarfs the 1/60 PG Unicorn box. For an MS/ MA in 1/100 scale... So along with about thirty other models I've been duly getting from HLJ, my backlog's getting out of hand...

Mechnicore's next project is this:

franmn8012nl.jpg

And me being known as the Ple/ Qubeley Guy, means I pretty much have to get this.

Ah well, since it's anybody's guess as to when I'll ever get back to building, I'll post this blast from the past (I hope I haven't already-- my memory's slipping). Decals from Samuel (as usual) with a custom LED for the mono eye:

q2pjocpadn9y.jpg

Here's hoping I can return to modeling and post here again someday...

EDIT: For the morbidly curious, here's a very photo heavy review of the Tiefsturmer pictured at the top of my post...

Kongo on
This discussion has been closed.