As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Well that looks fun as hell! Cant get over the range on that new whip like weapon. Seems pretty powerful.at a glance. Like the threaded cane but a lot more range. Very excited to finish the game and do the DLC. Though maybe not necessarily in that order....

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm curious about how the leveling on the DLC will work.

I mean, I'm guessing we'll access it through a tombstone, but will it scale to our levels or be endgame content or what?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular

I mean, I'm guessing we'll access it through a tombstone, but will it scale to our levels or be endgame content or what?

They said it's integrated into the game and becomes available "at a certain point" so I imagine it will be on the level of mid to late game stuff.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Any notable Uncanny or Lost things?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Frei wrote: »

They said it's integrated into the game and becomes available "at a certain point" so I imagine it will be on the level of mid to late game stuff.

based on the producer's comments is my guess is you gain access to it sometime before/around rom, and it'll be on par with cainhurst/mensis level difficulty. like how you can gain access to the nightmare frontier & cainhurst after vicar amelia, but you probably aren't strong enough to handle it yet.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I decided to go ahead and make a new skill character to prep for DLC and did the bosses up through Amelia. I have a +5 saw spear and a +5 blades of mercy right now, and while I'm really like the idea of the blades of mercy, they're not impressing so far. I had to use the saw spear to kill Amelia just because it did about twice as much damage to her and there's no reason to do the fight on hard mode. I feel like the BoM shine on anything you can R1 spam and stagger, which is not much that's important.

Stuff like the big executioner guys in hemwick proved quite annoying fighting with BoM. Basically had to parry or the fights took forever because that weapon has no hard hitting attacks, and you only get small openings with those guys.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I decided to go ahead and make a new skill character to prep for DLC and did the bosses up through Amelia. I have a +5 saw spear and a +5 blades of mercy right now, and while I'm really like the idea of the blades of mercy, they're not impressing so far. I had to use the saw spear to kill Amelia just because it did about twice as much damage to her and there's no reason to do the fight on hard mode. I feel like the BoM shine on anything you can R1 spam and stagger, which is not much that's important.

Stuff like the big executioner guys in hemwick proved quite annoying fighting with BoM. Basically had to parry or the fights took forever because that weapon has no hard hitting attacks, and you only get small openings with those guys.

I found that you need a lot endurance to make BoM worthwhile. But I think it's true for any weapon choice that certain enemies are going to fare better against any given weapon, that's why a two weapon approach is worthwhile. I went Threaded Cane and Blades of Mercy and it was a pretty decent combo.

Should be noted that I am not a min-maxer and I just play casually but I absolutely wrecked the last boss with BoM.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    doing a bom only playthrough sounds like a good challenge, though. it would be hard mode for a lot of fights where you can only plink away at the boss though and don't have a ton of stamina (R1 spam doesn't start to really get going until 4+ attacks) or access to beast roar yet (at least the dash attacks have great multipliers)

how early did you get it josh, go to gaol right after bsb and farm echos? trying to farm 40k echos before that sounds like a nightmare

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I got BoM right after beating BSB because I screwed up and let Eileen die against Henryk. It's actually really easy to get the 40k just by selling the Doll clothes. You get around 40k just for selling that set to the vendor. For whatever reason they gave it a really high sell value.

I think I'm just going to use saw spear and BoM until the DLC hits and I can try out the bow blade deal. I really like the BoM, but like I said, against anything that doesn't get staggered by R1 spam I feel like I can't get enough uptime to do good damage.

Fighting the fat executioners in Hemwick with BoM was like fighting a boss, heh. Whereas if I was using Ludwig or something I'd kill them much easier. Part of it is just playstyle. I almost always prefer weapons that hit a little harder. My go to Souls weapons are things like a Claymore, and my first run through BB was using Ludwig's.

I actually really like the saw spear and the BoM, so I don't mind maybe swapping between them for different scenarios. Really I wish they'd have made the default Burial Blade available earlier in a regular NG cycle to play around with it too.

Speaking of the bow blade thing, do we have any footage of the melee form of it? I dig the idea of having a bow in Bloodborne, but I'm wondering if the melee form of the weapon will be worthwhile, and how the combos will play out.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    I think I might try a bom only run after my current reiterpallach/gun adventures, thanks josh. I completely forgot about the doll clothes being worth so much.

• Options
    Yeah, farming 40k echoes prior to access to the student room the normal way would be painful, but the doll clothes are a nice little boost they give you, as long as you don't want to keep them to wear I suppose. =)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    well, hypogean gaol runs with a moon rune can nab you 12k to 20k+ echos per run depending how much you clear out, it isn't too bad a grind.

bag men are pretty easy to parry/riposte, the pigs aren't too bad either if you're careful

edit: "pretty" easy, and then last night when I went to parry them I failed 90% of the time. had to cheese them with the hunter's axe.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    Well I lied. Came home from work and plugged away five hours into the game on a new BoM only character. Cleared out Cleric Beast, Gas and BSB then got the BoM and went to work. Now I've got a +6 BoM with Crowfeather set and cleared out Witches and Carl. All that's left now is to advance the night.

All hoonters must die.

As a random aside - I thought I read somewhere they changed co-op rules so that you could still help with bosses even if you've already killed them (just have to be in the summoning range). Is this true or not? I can't seem to confirm that from googling so maybe I'm just imagining things..

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Well I lied. Came home from work and plugged away five hours into the game on a new BoM only character. Cleared out Cleric Beast, Gas and BSB then got the BoM and went to work. Now I've got a +6 BoM with Crowfeather set and cleared out Witches and Carl. All that's left now is to advance the night.

All hoonters must die.

As a random aside - I thought I read somewhere they changed co-op rules so that you could still help with bosses even if you've already killed them (just have to be in the summoning range). Is this true or not? I can't seem to confirm that from googling so maybe I'm just imagining things..

What, you weren't supposed to be able to help with bosses if you'd already killed them? That's the ONLY way I ever helped with bosses.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'd just like to point out that the BoM dash attacks are one of its strongest suits. They hit much harder than most of its other attacks and the dual one has very long range. And they're fast.

You've always been able to help out with bosses even after you'd killed the one in your own world.

• Options
    Okay, that's good to hear, I must have misread whatever I was looking at for co-op rules.

• Options
    It's funny, after I played with the BoM for a while, I was messing around in my inventory and realized that the description of the weapon itself tells you how to use it. It specifically calls out that they're best at attacking after dashes.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that the BoM dash attacks are one of its strongest suits. They hit much harder than most of its other attacks and the dual one has very long range. And they're fast.

You've always been able to help out with bosses even after you'd killed the one in your own world.

This why I loved the BOMs. The dash attack covers a lot of room really quickly. It was very easy to get in and out of range fast. Changing back to other weapons would always require some time before I got comfortable again not having that speed.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Wow this first area in Nightmare of Mensis is the least fucking fun thing. lets hide behind rocks then have these 2 twatting giants throw 1 hit ko rocks at you.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Wow this first area in Nightmare of Mensis is the least fucking fun thing. lets hide behind rocks then have these 2 twatting giants throw 1 hit ko rocks at you.
    book it. the whole first part of the level is a clusterfuck. run like hell for the second bonfire and never look back.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    book it. the whole first part of the level is a clusterfuck. run like hell for the second bonfire and never look back.

That sounds like a good idea, still got a bunch of blue elixirs so will pop one and leg it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    they don't call it a nightmare for nothing

ehh? ehh?

I'll see myself out

• Options
    The whole first area of Nightmare of Mensis annoyed me. Wolves with worms popping out if you don't visceral/fire kill them. Those dumb giants. That huge spider when you first go in the building. After that it gets pretty cool though.

Also, the 2nd bonfire is at the bottom of a shortcut you unlock later and going to it doesn't really bypass most of the annoying stuff. It's only a little closer than the first one to be honest, it's just helpful once you unlock the elevator shortcut.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Nah, the shortcut is pretty significant

There's a couple giants and maybe zombie wolves, but you bypass the frenzy beams, most of the enemies, the spiders, and the dickbag Ludwig hunter

Plus, it's a lot easier to work back through those areas backwards than it is the other way, which the shortcut lets you do

Elendil on
  • Options
    Yeah, but you don't get the shortcut just for walking up to the 2nd bonfire. You have to go through all the stuff you just described and ride the elevator down before you can use the shortcut that way.

I think what you meant to say in your earlier post was book it for the shortcut and then ride down and use the 2nd lantern, but you just said book it to the 2nd lantern, which isn't the same thing. The 2nd lantern doesn't really gain you anything until you've gone through and unlocked the shortcut. And in the case of that guy, he's not even going to know how to unlock the shortcut so just running is probably not going to work, unless he looks up a video first or something.

• Options
    Yeah, I meant run to the shortcut

• Options
    Got both of the shortcuts and took out Micolash. Pretty easy fight once you get that you have to dodge through the aoe in the second phase.

• Options
    You don't even have to dodge Micolash's call beyond. You can just hit him with any damage and it'll interrupt the long cast time. All he does if you stay close is melee and use the squid hand arcane tool for no damage. I found that fight to be insanely creepy and atmospheric, but it's easy as can be.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    You don't even have to dodge Micolash's call beyond. You can just hit him with any damage and it'll interrupt the long cast time. All he does if you stay close is melee and use the squid hand arcane tool for no damage. I found that fight to be insanely creepy and atmospheric, but it's easy as can be.

I never even knew that he had that attack until I came to the forums, and people were talking abou it.

• Options
    I expect most people never see him do it because he only does it if you're at range, and in Bloodborne, there's rarely reason to stay at range. The only time I've ever even had him use it was once when I dropped down into his room and he started casting it from the edge of the room as soon as I was dropping down.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Made it to the end of the nightmare of mensis, wet nurse was a little tricky when she brings in her double otherwise the bosses were the easiest part of that zone.

I've been trying to stay away from spoilers throughout but I did see something about consuming 3 of the umbilical cords before fighting German gives you another zone or boss?

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    Made it to the end of the nightmare of mensis, wet nurse was a little tricky when she brings in her double otherwise the bosses were the easiest part of that zone.

I've been trying to stay away from spoilers throughout but I did see something about consuming 3 of the umbilical cords before fighting German gives you another zone or boss?
    yes, that is true

its how to get the third/final ending

• Options
    Finished my first runthrough tonight. Reading up it looks like I missed out on a buuuunch of NPCs and a couple of bosses, but managed to get the 3 umbilicals. Having a run through of some of the chalice dungeons now.
    So the "true" ending is basically you becoming the new surrogate for the great ones right? Who was the lady in white crying outside of Mergo's chamber?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Finished my first runthrough tonight. Reading up it looks like I missed out on a buuuunch of NPCs and a couple of bosses, but managed to get the 3 umbilicals. Having a run through of some of the chalice dungeons now.
    So the "true" ending is basically you becoming the new surrogate for the great ones right? Who was the lady in white crying outside of Mergo's chamber?
    The "true" ending is you becoming a great one

The lady in white is incredibly, incredibly slightly more expanded upon at the end of the chalice dungeons.

Been replaying this again, farming blood chunks for the expansion weapons.

This game feels real fucking good you guys. Real good. I can't wait to see how DS3 melds the two playstyles, hopefully it captures what makes Bloodborne such a raw joy to control.

• Options
    did you use the 3 umbilical cords?

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

She is...
    Yharnam, Pthumerian queen and the namesake of the city. The Pthumerans were ancient precursors to the city as we find it. It is heavily suggested that she...
    ...grasped the eldrich truth, was the first to mix one's blood with the Old Ones, and the first to bear a surrogate child to them.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I picked up a copy of this on the cheap the other week and have been playing it for a bit. I had heard a lot of positive stuff, but man I wasnt expecting it to be quite as great as it is. I don't think I've ever played a game that feels as intense as this. When I beat a boss my hands are literally shaking by the end of the fight.

Anyway I just beat the witch (on the first attempt, even) and the blood starved beast (on the... Not first attempt). I'm hoping to eventually find some armor that is better than the stuff i found laying around in the sewer, and a weapon that feels better than the axe i started with. That axe is a monster though. This game definitely is going to find a place high in my favorite games if all time list.

Also I've been live streaming my games whenever YouTube streaming decides to work on the ps4, if anyone wants to watch me wander around aimlessly and then die ;)

• Options
    For the most part, weapons and armor is entirely up to preference. Some sets are better at certain things, but they aren't really upgrades.

• Options
    the hunter's axe is very strong (I am assuming you're leveling strength with it). you should give the kirkhammer a go, maybe logarius' wheel if you get to it.