Options

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm guessing if this is true and Microsoft does buy Obsidian, all Pillars of Eternity games going forward will be PC and Xbox exclusive.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Could be that we see a lot more modern New Vegas/south park/alpha protocol style games going forward rather than old school 2 D affairs from obsidian.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-close-to-buying-obsidian-1829614135

I wonder what this will mean for PoE if this is true.
    They'll publish one a year until the entire original staff is finally gone.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    We all know what happened to Bioware...

But considering that Deadfire did not sell very well, this may be the only chance for them to ever create the third game.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

Wait, how many studios did Microsoft buy and then run into the ground?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that Microsoft isn't EA.

I mean if Obsidian has to get bought out by someone I suppose I'd rather it be Microsoft. Not that they're perfect, but I'd rate them below EA, Ubisoft, and Activision on the "Complete and Total Dicks" scale. Though they are still up there.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

But considering that Deadfire did not sell very well, this may be the only chance for them to ever create the third game.

:sad:

I mean. Deadfire seems pretty comparable to the original Bioware RPGs, imo. But gamer expectations have risen substantially in the years since. We're not tolerant of badly balanced games riddled with bugs any more - as the original BG games were - or perhaps the consumer base has grown to include many who are not. Either way. :sad:

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I can't think of any high profile "crash and burn after acquisition by Microsoft" stories. What is everyone thinking of?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Rare.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    That said, pretty excited to see Obsidian hopefully have a steady cash flow from MS and a real QA dept to utilize. I hope and pray it works out and MS lets them make giant crazy ass RPGs like Witcher 3.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    A lot less excited for their games to be Windows Store exclusives

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It could go either way, honestly. I'm excited what they can do with a big budget but also you have to be concerned that they'll lose the magic that makes their games so fun.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    So I just went back and finished POE1, the big reveal at the end was kind of odd for me given the setting...
    Athiest lady: The gods aren’t real!
    Me:oh shit, thats crazy, who were those guys I was talking to? Is it like the wizard of oz?
    AL: well no, those guys exists, they aren’t real gods though
    Me: so they aren’t actually poweful and praying doesn’t do anything?
    AL.: Nah they are hella powerful and do answer prayers when they feel like it
    Me: ah, but that stuff about having domian over an aspect of life is fake, right? Like Galawain isn’t god of the hunt, he’s just a really strong wizard that likes the outdoors?
    AL: well, no, they have domains they are in charge of
    Me:oh.. well I guess all that soul and afterlife stuff is bullshit then?
    AL: no there is totally an afterlife, reincarnation, and souls and stuff
    Me: oh.. um... what’s the deal then
    AL: well the gods were made thousands of years ago by an ancient civilization
    Me: I think when you said the gods aren’t real you had your tenses wrong

• Options
    So I just went back and finished POE1, the big reveal at the end was kind of odd for me given the setting...
    Me:oh shit, thats crazy, who were those guys I was talking to? Is it like the wizard of oz?
    Me: ah, but that stuff about having domian over an aspect of life is fake, right? Like Galawain isn’t god of the hunt, he’s just a really strong wizard that likes the outdoors?

Ancient 1: "How do we get everyone to stop killing each other over imaginary friends?"
    Ancient 2: "Uh.. I got an idea. How 'bout we make a pantheon of real imaginary friends?"

And then this basically happened and peace reigned;

https://youtu.be/ia5L0vN0vs8

Although in a more "Why the gods are wrong" sense; They're wrong because they interfere with reincarnation. The ancients wanted people to stop being assholes so they created a system of divine retribution to punish the "wicked" and scare others to stay on the straight and narrow path.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Axen wrote: »

Ancient 1: "How do we get everyone to stop killing each other over imaginary friends?"
    Ancient 2: "Uh.. I got an idea. How 'bout we make a pantheon of real imaginary friends?"

Although in a more "Why the gods are wrong" sense; They're wrong because they interfere with reincarnation. The ancients wanted people to stop being assholes so they created a system of divine retribution to punish the "wicked" and scare others to stay on the straight and narrow path.
    That is true, but Thaos seems to be worried that there will be chaos if anyone finds out the gods are artificial... But they will still be there, punishing the “wicked”, scaring people straight, and whatnot. In the betrayed god endings, they pretty much straight up murder people, they have a loose understanding they won’t directly interfere with humanity unless they really need to but they have a very loose definition of direct interference. People aren’t just going to go “oh the gods were created, fuck those guys who can kill me and destroy or imprison my soul at will, no point in doing what they say”

Plus its not like “Created by an ancient civilization” is much different than “created by their parents who they then killed” or whatever random origin stories real life pantheons had.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    There is the added wrinkle that the gods were already in the middle of a legitimacy crisis due to a human army (albeit one with divine assistance) murdering one.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »

That is true, but Thaos seems to be worried that there will be chaos if anyone finds out the gods are artificial... But they will still be there, punishing the “wicked”, scaring people straight, and whatnot. In the betrayed god endings, they pretty much straight up murder people, they have a loose understanding they won’t directly interfere with humanity unless they really need to but they have a very loose definition of direct interference. People aren’t just going to go “oh the gods were created, fuck those guys who can kill me and destroy or imprison my soul at will, no point in doing what they say”

Plus its not like “Created by an ancient civilization” is much different than “created by their parents who they then killed” or whatever random origin stories real life pantheons had.

More spoilers;
    Without going in to PoE2 spoilers I will say there is more to the fucked up situation then you learn in PoE1 and that the Elf lady-ghost had the right idea.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Could be that we see a lot more modern New Vegas/south park/alpha protocol style games going forward rather than old school 2 D affairs from obsidian.

Most of this modern stuff has been other people IP's though. Microsoft will surely want them to develop an IP that they can call their own. Whether Obsidian can make a original IP large budget RPG sell is an open question.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I think it’s probably better to say that the gods are artificial instead of not being real. They did not aturally occur, they are created. The game doesn’t do great at articulating that cause most of the characters are going straight for the the gods are fake approach.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I think it’s probably better to say that the gods are artificial instead of not being real. They did not aturally occur, they are created. The game doesn’t do great at articulating that cause most of the characters are going straight for the the gods are fake approach.

POE2:
    I think one of the things POE2 articulates better is that there's also the question of cultural conquest. These artificial gods have been created by a now extinct empire, and they are real in the sense that everyone describes, sure. But that means that they are visible icons of one culture's view of morality and have the power to back that up. You see a fusion of these gods with the traditional religions of the archipelago in Deadfire, but they really struggle to articulate their difference, because the created gods are right there and manifest. The Egwithans have essentially pushed their cultural hangups out onto everyone else, and that's an interesting undercurrent in a game that wants to talk about imperialism and appropriation.

These things which exist are artifical, created - are artificial gods actually gods? If not, why not? If they fulfil the roles ascribed to deities, does their origin matter? Or not? But it only doesn't matter in the span of geography where their creators aren't already broadly regarded as murderers or worse.

I'd give the narrative questions and weight more credit than the OP does, I think...

• Options
    I picked shifter but I think I want to be a Fury, since that's how my POE 1 druid basically was.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So the first dividend for the Fig investment was sent out. And it was $192 for a $1,000 investment. Some people have estimated that amounts to around 150,000 copies sold. That's not good.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Fig?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Fig?

Like Kickstarter, but you can also buy shares in the game.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    So the first dividend for the Fig investment was sent out. And it was $192 for a $1,000 investment. Some people have estimated that amounts to around 150,000 copies sold. That's not good.

That’s pretty crazy.

Don’t know why it would be so low, I felt like POE 2 was a fair bit better than POE1 or Tyranny that both sold more... Maybe just genre fatigue?

That would be like 1/5 the sales of POE 1 and the two Divinity original sins games though. Who buys POE and both Divinities and doesn’t get Deadfires?

In comparison POE and both DOS games did about 1.2 million on steam, tyranny did about 500,000.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options

That’s pretty crazy.

Don’t know why it would be so low, I felt like POE 2 was a fair bit better than POE1 or Tyranny that both sold more... Maybe just genre fatigue?

That would be like 1/5 the sales of POE 1 and the two Divinity original sins games though. Who buys POE and both Divinities and doesn’t get Deadfires?

In comparison POE and both DOS games did about 1.2 million on steam, tyranny did about 500,000.

PoE 2 ate a lot of bad hype at release, due to bugs and poor balance. Almost universally, everybody suggested buying it later when it got fixed. Which it has, as I understand it, their market may have been hit hard.

• Options
    I liked PoE 1 better than 2. I liked 2, just 1 better. I think the ship sailing thing did bad things to my CDO.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

That’s pretty crazy.

PoE 2 ate a lot of bad hype at release, due to bugs and poor balance. Almost universally, everybody suggested buying it later when it got fixed. Which it has, as I understand it, their market may have been hit hard.

I personally waited a bit for bug fixes, then once they announced the expansion would not be post ending I ended up waiting for that too.

• Options

That’s pretty crazy.

I personally waited a bit for bug fixes, then once they announced the expansion would not be post ending I ended up waiting for that too.

I was super annoyed at that part. Has it even come out yet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

That’s pretty crazy.

I am not aware of any "expansions" to Deadfire at all. Just several paid DLCs, the last of which is due this month.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

That’s pretty crazy.

I am not aware of any "expansions" to Deadfire at all. Just several paid DLCs, the last of which is due this month.

I did mean the DLC.

• Options
    2/3 are out, the last one is supposed to hit soon.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I was kind of disappointed with the dlc for poe2, it was nice to get a bit of expansion on the sidekicks role but on the whole it was kind of short and irrelevant especially compared to the white march which was basically its own mini-game.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Microsoft officially announced they acquired Obsidian (an Inxile) today, but also said they'd remain independent. My guess is they'll wind up like Mojang and still release their games everywhere.

Video on the announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=117&v=Suvxb0OfhpQ

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    So most of the old Black Isle/Interplay people are back together.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Microsoft officially announced they acquired Obsidian (an Inxile) today, but also said they'd remain independent. My guess is they'll wind up like Mojang and still release their games everywhere.

Video on the announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=117&v=Suvxb0OfhpQ

IMO when they acquired mojang they were in their "we don't need 1st party developers making exclusives to sell the xbox" mindset, but now they're in a "oh shit we need 1st party developers making exclusives to sell the xbox" mindset so I wouldn't be so sure

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Wow, can’t brleive they bought up inexile too.

I wonder if they are going to be tossing money at Avellone to get him to come back.

• Options
    Avellone burned the bridge with Obsidian. He's been trashing Obsidian ever since he left.

• Options
    Bg3: the black hound, now with microtransactions and pvp, exclusively on xbox

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    MS has been explicit they want all these new studios buffing up gamepass and Obsidian themselves talked about that too.

Gamepass meaning xbox1 and windows 10, and eventually xbox2 and streaming to every phone and laptop.

Minecraft also hit it reeeal big in Japan, which would never happen on MS' hardware. Its worldwide sales numbers are absurd and it is quite a special IP.

rahkeesh2000 on