As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    This is also why I'm so happy they've said they won't do mid story DLC any more.

As is it just makes a chunk of content that comes out well after I've beaten the game and no longer fits into the context of where in the story my character is.

Yeah, not a fan of this model for expansions.

That's the reason I still haven't played Citadel, although it'll be included next time I do a full Mass Effect 3 playthrough. I was very happy that the two Witcher 3 expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine) both worked as post-game content.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Fucking love Heart of Stone so much.

Magic Murder Shovel was the best part of that DLC.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    This is also why I'm so happy they've said they won't do mid story DLC any more.

As is it just makes a chunk of content that comes out well after I've beaten the game and no longer fits into the context of where in the story my character is.

Yeah, not a fan of this model for expansions.

This is actually the reason I put down PoE 1. I made it to act 3 then started the expansion and I just felt like there was no coherence. I had no idea what I was actually meant to do next, and worried that if I went too far in the expansion the rest of the main game would be too easy, and worried that if I didn't go far enough in the expansion then it would be too easy when I came back to it, but I didn't know when I was supposed to come back to it, etc. I've really never seen mid-game large DLC done well in an RPG.

I hope to go back to it before PoE 2 comes out. Maybe I'll just ignore the DLC completely until my second playthrough.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    So I heard pillars 2 made some crazy design choices and it now takes wizards 9 seconds to cast fireball.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    So I heard pillars 2 made some crazy design choices and it now takes wizards 9 seconds to cast fireball.

I haven't looked at any beta feedback in detail, but one of the main reasons for that month detail was there appear to be some definite balance issues. Especially in regard to magic vs non magic damage and speed.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Well they did just delay the game to re-balance and fix things sooooo... probably not something that is worth bringing up until we see what's actually in the game.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

They have to have changed that. It's definitely going to be meme worthy if they don't.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the delay... @TychoCelchuuu wanna update the title?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Man, Cragholdt is crazy hard.
    Those barbarians that teleport to my back ranks are wrecking me. That and the guys who have an effect that looks like spitting fire that ends up knocking my engagement sponge/tank half a screen away. It's like I'm playing Pillars of Eternity and they are playing Divinity: OS 2 with the huge repositioning toolbox you get in that game.

And what the hell is with the guys in the cave? I can barely scratch them?

The fact that I don't really understand the combat system is finally catching up to me. Up until now, engaging troops with Eder and the wolf while everyone else focus fires and lobs random AoE spells has been working well enough. Good gravy!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    What level are you? The Cragholdt enemies are way higher lvl than you if you go there as soon as it is offered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    11 I think? I went earlier, got obliterated, and am now trying a second run with a few more levels and some better gear under my belt.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    11 I think? I went earlier, got obliterated, and am now trying a second run with a few more levels and some better gear under my belt.

Yeah i think the random soldiers are like 13 or 14.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular

Well they did just delay the game to re-balance and fix things sooooo... probably not something that is worth bringing up until we see what's actually in the game.

That's fair. I just heard there were some serious balance issues between melee and casters due to going towards an entirely per-encounter spell system. I really enjoyed the last game.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

That's fair. I just heard there were some serious balance issues between melee and casters due to going towards an entirely per-encounter spell system. I really enjoyed the last game.

The current backer beta has some changes to it at least. Cast times are fairly long, but they feel better than they did a few builds ago.

I also think this is an oldish build, but I haven't kept up with updates all that much.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Does anybody know what, if anything, we will be importing into PoE 2?

Decisions? End States?

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Does anybody know what, if anything, we will be importing into PoE 2?

Decisions? End States?

RPS article said there's a bunch of different world states you can choose if you don't have a save. Hmm, here's a quote from them
    you can either create a custom save-profile from a variety of toggles and options during character creation, or you can pick from a handful of pre-defined starting templates.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm going to set the difficulty to Story Time and give Pillars of Eternity another chance because the combat frustrates me to no end.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm going to set the difficulty to Story Time and give Pillars of Eternity another chance because the combat frustrates me to no end.

It gets a lot better once you level up your front line troop(s) a little and can engage more enemies. Once they get 'stickier', your back row folks can start going to town.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I should really get around to that, too.

Furthest I got involved what may have been a capital city.

I think I spent an hour finagling the murder of some lions before that? It was a dark time.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

It gets a lot better once you level up your front line troop(s) a little and can engage more enemies. Once they get 'stickier', your back row folks can start going to town.

I had two tanks which made the combat a lot less stressful I think.

• Options
    Eventually Pallagina gets tanky too.

And if you get the DLC, two of those 3 companions can be built tanky too by taking the right talents.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone who played the beta, do you know if they changed the way XP works? Like does killing enemies give XP now?

• Options
    Exp seems to be the same as poe 1. Mostly quest and events, with some from filling bestiary entries for each enemy.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Exp seems to be the same as poe 1. Mostly quest and events, with some from filling bestiary entries for each enemy.

Dammit.

• Options

Dammit.

I'm curious why you dislike it.

I find rewarding making decisions and exploring better than rewarding pure killing. In the end it has basically the same result, since most events and such involve a certain amount of murder.

• Options

Dammit.

I find rewarding making decisions and exploring better than rewarding pure killing. In the end it has basically the same result, since most events and such involve a certain amount of murder.

It just makes the combat feel less rewarding. I never said anything about rewarding pure killing. You can have quest XP and combat XP. In games like these combat tends to go pretty slowly for me and takes a certain amount of effort. It doesn't feel as good when there is no gain for that effort.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    That just rewards completing the quest peacefully and then manually attacking to double dip

• Options
    That just rewards completing the quest peacefully and then manually attacking to double dip

1) I'm mostly referring to random globs of enemies like wolves and such wondering around the map. No direct relation to any quests. So killing them or not has about the same purpose. Which is sad.

2) There are all sorts of ways to fix that issue/balance around it/or just not really care because it's an RPG and if someone cares that little about the RP aspect why should it matter if they want to do that?

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

I don't do that for xp.

Now if they were wearing a shiny hat...

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

Dammit.

It just makes the combat feel less rewarding. I never said anything about rewarding pure killing. You can have quest XP and combat XP. In games like these combat tends to go pretty slowly for me and takes a certain amount of effort. It doesn't feel as good when there is no gain for that effort.

storytime mode my friend! The combat is meh anyways.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Dammit.

I like the combat in these types of game though.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Dammit.

I do too, but I think I'm gonna have to go storymode if I want to ever actually finish the game.

• Options

Dammit.

I can see that. I just always felt it was silly that you could get experience of random bandits and wolves after you had murdered hundreds off them, but it does make combat feel less rewarding.

And the latest beta build is so much more fun to play than earlier ones combatwise. I really like what they have done with buffs/debuffs. Still haven't played too much with scripting, but the system seems to allow some pretty nice automation for annoying stuff like countering debuffs without too much micro.

• Options

Dammit.

I can see that. I just always felt it was silly that you could get experience of random bandits and wolves after you had murdered hundreds off them, but it does make combat feel less rewarding.

And the latest beta build is so much more fun to play than earlier ones combatwise. I really like what they have done with buffs/debuffs. Still haven't played too much with scripting, but the system seems to allow some pretty nice automation for annoying stuff like countering debuffs without too much micro.

Yea, for me it's just the idea that practicing combat should lead to getting better at combat. If the enemy is weak it should give less xp sure. But any time my characters are actually putting forth effort in combat going by logic they SHOULD be getting xp. Every fight is practice and should show in increase in combat prowess.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »

Dammit.

I do too, but I think I'm gonna have to go storymode if I want to ever actually finish the game.

Heh understandable. It looks like this will be the primary thing I have to play for the whole month of May so I'm ready to spend a whole lot of time with it.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Dammit.

Yea, for me it's just the idea that practicing combat should lead to getting better at combat. If the enemy is weak it should give less xp sure. But any time my characters are actually putting forth effort in combat going by logic they SHOULD be getting xp. Every fight is practice and should show in increase in combat prowess.

But what about the people who want to talk it out or sneak by? Should they get less xp for sticking to their path?

• Options
    Is there a new release date?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm pretty excited.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Dammit.

But what about the people who want to talk it out or sneak by? Should they get less xp for sticking to their path?

Depends on wether the dm is railroading them, I figure.

But for real, I had no idea that butchering everyone or thing that loves wasn't worth xp.

Now I'll likely do it out of spite, which may be even more rewarding.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg