Options

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    There is a countdown as to when they come, and you have plenty of time. I don't know what happens if you let it reach 0.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    There is a countdown as to when they come, and you have plenty of time. I don't know what happens if you let it reach 0.
    I think it just acts like you’d pressed the “resolve automatically” button or whatever it’s called. I’ve never actually let it run down before without making a decision ... :)

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I can't decide what I'm playing in Deadfire. I know I want to be a Shifter because spiritshifting and ripping men in half with my bare claws was rad as hell in PoE1

But do I:

A) Shifter pureclass? The argument there would be maybe spiritshift is hamstrung by the lower power levels of multiclassing

B) Shifter/Helwalker? Monk abilities like Lightning Strikes and Torment's Reach plus Might bonus from Wounds while spiritshifted...

C) Shifter/Skald (Or Troubadour)? Can keep chanting while you're a giant werebeast, use Invocations with Phrases you rack up from chanting/critting, then shift again.

Multiclassing made all my choices so much harder!

Wait. Can you use monk skills while in bear form?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    There's something about the sea combat in this that really has me worried. It just doesn't look... fun?

Hopefully it'll be more engaging to actually play than watch.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, the sea combat looks pretty so so. The thought of tossing fireballs around on a pair of boats locked in combat seems pretty funny tho.

• Options
    It looks amazing to me, actually.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    i was sort of assuming if you don't want to engage with the sea combat you don't gotta, is that not the case?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    i was sort of assuming if you don't want to engage with the sea combat you don't gotta, is that not the case?

I mean, it's a game about playing on a pirate ship exploring an archipelago, so ... ?

I'm basically assuming there's a small amount of mandatory or pseudo-mandatory seatime adventure you'll have to experience, but that you can go whole-hog into it if that's your thing. (It is totally my thing.)

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

You can probably engage with it less. But even just traveling around by boat (which will be required) will trigger random encounters. So you can choose not to go seeking extra ship stuff but you are going to interact with it at least at some level.

• Options
    If you aren't following this game's development and were just looking for a sequel to a game that you played because it was like a modern Baldur's Gate all this pirate stuff would be bewildering and potentially not what you're looking for.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So this is secretly Risen 4?

I can dig it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    If you aren't following this game's development and were just looking for a sequel to a game that you played because it was like a modern Baldur's Gate all this pirate stuff would be bewildering and potentially not what you're looking for.

It looks like you can just get close to their ship and have a regular combat encounter so BG2 to your hearts content still?

Plus do you not think the actual ship combat system absolutely looks like something BG3 might have done?

• Options
    I'm not saying i'm not into it, it's just kinda a odd thing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

Lots of games add new mechanics to sequels. It would be kind of on the consumer to decide to buy something without any research and then be surprised by what is there. It's still very much PoE. They just added something new. That's not odd at all.

Heck when games don't add new mechanics and change things up in sequels there's a whole outpouring of people who complain that the game is too similar. This has been a thing for quite a while.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    all i'm saying is baldur's gate 2 didn't add a fucking ocean tileset and boat battles, that's a pretty big change lol! (also again i'm not complaining)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    all i'm saying is baldur's gate 2 didn't add a fucking ocean tileset and boat battles, that's a pretty big change lol! (also again i'm not complaining)

They added strongholds and romances, class kits, Monks & Barbs & Sorcs, and some people definitely did complain about at least some of those.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

They added strongholds and romances, class kits, Monks & Barbs & Sorcs, and some people definitely did complain about at least some of those.

And NWN2 MotB definitely added an over world map and trade caravans.

So I’m not sure I get the argument.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »

And NWN2 MotB definitely added an over world map and trade caravans.

So I’m not sure I get the argument.

That was Storm of Zehir.

hippofant on
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Oh man, Mask of the Betrayer was the best

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Pirates and ship battles are a welcome addition to just about any game anyway

TheStig on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    41-BG2SoAch30035.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Veagle wrote: »
    41-BG2SoAch30035.jpg

Is that the Sarelith mod? You cad you.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Game is delayed till May?!
    https://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-has-been-delayed-until-1823729315

As a backer you'd think they would have e-mailed me or something?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Aw man. I'm okay with that though, I'd rather it be as polished as possible and I'm still playing Witcher 3.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Game is delayed till May?!
    https://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-has-been-delayed-until-1823729315

As a backer you'd think they would have e-mailed me or something?

I think they read your post since they sent an email now. :P

• Options
    Blessing in disguise for me. I'm sorry for those that it isn't because I know how it feels.

But man it was in the midst of a bunch of other stuff for me. And this just made my schedule for those other games easier and means I'll get to play this without any interference of other games now.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Well, I guess this is more time for me to complete my 'canon' Pillars run.

And I'm gonna need it, because ever time I start up Pillars, I end up thinking I'd much rather be playing Tyranny instead and then I end up playing Tyranny.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Shiiiiiiit, I loved me some pillars of eternity. But I never played the expansions. Time to download that shit and play through this weekend.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah I backed PoE for the game + expansions, but never got round to actually playing The White March. I think they did a big combat overhaul at some point after I finished too? Definitely need to find the time to play it again.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Rami wrote: »
    Yeah I backed PoE for the game + expansions, but never got round to actually playing The White March. I think they did a big combat overhaul at some point after I finished too? Definitely need to find the time to play it again.

You really need to before PoE2. White March is a noticable leap in quality over the base game, even as someone who liked the base game a lot.

It's really good. My only criticism of White March is that the writing on Maneha is kind of unconvincing. Zahua and Devil of Caroc are both fantastic though.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    I'm playing through white March now. Made the mistake of going to the sieged mage tower first because it was closer to Caed Nua when white march stuff was first offered to me so i didn't go back until lvl 12 when i was halfway through Glanfathan areas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You really need to before PoE2. White March is a noticable leap in quality over the base game, even as someone who liked the base game a lot.

It's really good. My only criticism of White March is that the writing on Maneha is kind of unconvincing. Zahua and Devil of Caroc are both fantastic though.

The only problem is White March does not integrate well with the main game. It doesn't slot in nicely.

... Also that cave with all the traps.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular

The only problem is White March does not integrate well with the main game. It doesn't slot in nicely.

Really? I felt the opposite way with all the Soulbound weapons, which naturally encourage you to segment it into the main game so that you actually have content to fulfill their conditionals on.

My general rule of thumb is "do Part 1 at level 6 or 7, do Part 2 in between Act 2 and 3"

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Really? I felt the opposite way with all the Soulbound weapons, which naturally encourage you to segment it into the main game so that you actually have content to fulfill their conditionals on.

My general rule of thumb is "do Part 1 at level 6 or 7, do Part 2 in between Act 2 and 3"

Mechanically, maybe, but not story-wise.

In the main game of Pillars you're after this one dude you really need to talk to or else you'll go mad.

So... why are you taking a trip to a distant mountain that's way out of your way? To help some dying community get its hands on some mythical, long-lost steel? Is that... is that really important right now?

If it was just some little sub-quest, then fine, whatever, but White March is the big expansion where you put the story on hold completely for hours on end to get some really neat steel.
    OK, so, in the end the White March has a bit more relevance to the plot than first expected. But that's the problem - in the end. Of White March Part 2. Which is a bit... late.

• Options

Mechanically, maybe, but not story-wise.

In the main game of Pillars you're after this one dude you really need to talk to or else you'll go mad.

So... why are you taking a trip to a distant mountain that's way out of your way? To help some dying community get its hands on some mythical, long-lost steel? Is that... is that really important right now?

If it was just some little sub-quest, then fine, whatever, but White March is the big expansion where you put the story on hold completely for hours on end to get some really neat steel.
    OK, so, in the end the White March has a bit more relevance to the plot than first expected. But that's the problem - in the end. Of White March Part 2. Which is a bit... late.

^ This is what I meant. Also the difficulty curve gets borked. If you do White March early, you come back to the base game reaaally powerful.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I tried to do WM1 short after arriving at Defiance Bay. I got my ass handed to me by the first encounter where you're fighting giants invading a city or something. Not sure what I did wrong and I dropped the game after that.

• Options
    This is also why I'm so happy they've said they won't do mid story DLC any more.

As is it just makes a chunk of content that comes out well after I've beaten the game and no longer fits into the context of where in the story my character is.

• Options
    This is also why I'm so happy they've said they won't do mid story DLC any more.

As is it just makes a chunk of content that comes out well after I've beaten the game and no longer fits into the context of where in the story my character is.

Well, with PoE 2, it seems like they already have expansions planned, based on the pledge reward, so hopefully that means they can craft a story knowing that they'll be extending it. With PoE 1, they had no idea how well it'd be received ultimately, so I get why White March got wedged in the way it did.

• Options

Yeah, not a fan of this model for expansions.

steam_sig.png