As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daredevil] is a Man Without A Tv Show

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    got through ep six last night; now I kinda want the rest of the show to just be about matt an electra being cute

I don't have time to watch the rest of the season tonight so I guess I'll have to pace myself

Don't be silly, do what Matt Murdock would do: Abandon your friends and job to prioritize vigilantism.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It also kinda feels like the Netflix show might be laying the groundwork for the shadowland story from the comics; I forget exactly how they set that up but having Electra lead Matt into temptation would be a good way to do it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It also kinda feels like the Netflix show might be laying the groundwork for the shadowland story from the comics; I forget exactly how they set that up but having Electra lead Matt into temptation would be a good way to do it

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Finished the season. It was excellent overall, but now I understand why some of the early reviewers were saying that this season felt more like a set-up for a Punisher series than a Daredevil show. I don't think that was their intent, I just think Punisher stole the show, hard.

Which is a good thing for Punisher fans like me, because I can't honestly see how they could not do a Punisher series after this.

-edit-

I liked Matt this season, and Foggy of course. Elektra was eh. Karen and Frank completely ran away with the season though.
    Also amazing appearances from Fisk and Madame Gao for good callbacks to first season while also setting things up for future seasons.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    About the whole Ennis scene thing:
    Am I the only one that thinks the idea that DD in the comics would not be able to tell whether a gun is loaded or not when he feels it and moves it is silly? Like I get what they might have been going for in the comic, but I feel the tv version is better because it doesn't rely on Matt's super senses not picking up something that they should.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the idea that DD in the comics would not be able to tell whether a gun is loaded or not when he feels it and moves it is silly? Like I get what they might have been going for in the comic, but I feel the tv version is better because it doesn't rely on Matt's super senses not picking up something that they should.
    Matt may not know how a loaded gun is supposed to "feel" compared to an unloaded one. Being blind since youth, he may never have even held one before.

• Options
    Gun may very well have been loaded, but it had no firing pin. I'm no gun expert, but I think a firing pin is a much less significant amount of weight relative to the weapon, and it's incredibly fair to allow that someone would not feel the weight difference of a removed (or even simply tampered) firing pin.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Gun may very well have been loaded, but it had no firing pin. I'm no gun expert, but I think a firing pin is a much less significant amount of weight relative to the weapon, and it's incredibly fair to allow that someone would not feel the weight difference of a removed (or even simply tampered) firing pin.

To you and me maybe. But DD's sense of touch is so sensitive anything that isn't high thread count silk feels like sandpaper when he tries to sleep. In the series, he and Stick are able to basically tell how thoroughly the guy who sold them ice cream washed his hands after taking a leak hours after the fact based on smell and taste of the vanilla ice cream cones.

If anybody in the MCU or 616u that is not a gun expert is going to be able to tell whether a gun is functional, it should be Daredevil.

• Options
    Different topic so different post. Full spoilers.
    I just realized something from when Elektra killed the ninja in Matt's apartment. Slitting a guy's throat is certainly a tried and true way to kill someone, but it's not the only option and wasn't exactly her go to from what we saw. It's also pretty shocking to witness, which is bad if you don't want Matt to judge you afterward, but great if you're trying to shock the audience on tv.

It's also your first choice if you're trying to make a mess. Elektra just wanted blood everywhere so she could force new furniture on Matt.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just realized something from when Elektra killed the ninja in Matt's apartment. Slitting a guy's throat is certainly a tried and true way to kill someone, but it's not the only option and wasn't exactly her go to from what we saw. It's also pretty shocking to witness, which is bad if you don't want Matt to judge you afterward, but great if you're trying to shock the audience on tv.

It's also your first choice if you're trying to make a mess. Elektra just wanted blood everywhere so she could force new furniture on Matt.

Isn't
    Slitting a throat how she made her first kill? I think she just likes being messy about it.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

To you and me maybe. But DD's sense of touch is so sensitive anything that isn't high thread count silk feels like sandpaper when he tries to sleep. In the series, he and Stick are able to basically tell how thoroughly the guy who sold them ice cream washed his hands after taking a leak hours after the fact based on smell and taste of the vanilla ice cream cones.

If anybody in the MCU or 616u that is not a gun expert is going to be able to tell whether a gun is functional, it should be Daredevil.
    Yeah before the season started I was kinda hoping if the scene happened Matt would just call out the punisher on the empty gun.

• Options
    on the other hand, the punisher deliberately crafting a fake/nonfunctional gun for the purpose of fooling daredevil is totally a comics thing to have happen

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Probably not appropriate for their first meeting where he doesn't know anything about him though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Not the Tim Gunn approved means of telling your friends they have bad taste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Not the Tim Gunn approved means of telling your friends they have bad taste.

I think they're just going for a running joke of Matt replacing his whole place once per season.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I was just thinking, have they said anything about a blu-ray release of any of the Marvel Netflix shows yet?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I was just thinking, have they said anything about a blu-ray release of any of the Marvel Netflix shows yet?
    I thought I had seen the first season around already, but searching on Amazon all that comes up is the digital version for purchase. I found a picture of a DVD set but no idea where to find it to actually buy it.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I thought I had seen the first season around already, but searching on Amazon all that comes up is the digital version for purchase. I found a picture of a DVD set but no idea where to find it to actually buy it.

Marvel/Netflix, get on this. It's easy money.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Think my favorite bit of dialog is
    DD: Why didn't you take off my mask?
    P: I don't give a shit who you are.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Btw, re: the Ennis scene and it's show equivalent
    I'd have to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure the gun wasn't empty

Didn't Matt, while they were all screaming at each other, use it to shoot his chains?

So it had one round in it, not empty. Unlike the comic version, the TV version of Punisher wasn't fucking around.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    aye
    The gun was definitely loaded in the show and he uses it to escape after identifying a weakpoint in the chains earlier on. I've not read the comic in question, but perhaps the later gag of pulling the trigger on the unloaded gun at the bikers was a nod to that alternative?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    netflix waits a long time to release dvds of their shows, because they're trying to drive subscriptions

seems weird that season 1 isn't out by now though

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »

Didn't Matt, while they were all screaming at each other, use it to shoot his chains?

So it had one round in it, not empty. Unlike the comic version, the TV version of Punisher wasn't fucking around.
    The gun was not empty in the show. In the comic it was. That is why the show's version is better. It doesn't rely on on Matt's supersenses failing in order to work.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Which totally works for this version of the punisher, because he's trying to drown out his pain.

Whether he does that through violence or by eating a bullet to the brain, it doesn't much matter to him.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Which totally works for this version of the punisher, because he's trying to drown out his pain.

Whether he does that through violence or by eating a(nother) bullet to the brain, it doesn't much matter to him.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    If one bullet to the brain makes you awesome, does two make you awesome-est?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I think if you're going to do a Punisher show (and they totally should) then one of the things they need to cover is how the Punisher is only a solution to problems in extreme circumstances. i.e. the Punisher killed a lot of violent murderers that we knew about - they didn't quite cover the fact that the public didn't necessarily know about them. And they didn't cover the fact that once you get rid of all the violent murderers, what is your answer to the guys you have no direct proof of? Or that aren't committing serious crimes?

At least part of the point of Daredevil is to some extent Matt always knows bad things are happening, because he can always hear them. He's the neighbour 10 blocks over who can hear exactly when domestic violence is happening. The Punisher can't do that.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I think if you're going to do a Punisher show (and they totally should) then one of the things they need to cover is how the Punisher is only a solution to problems in extreme circumstances. i.e. the Punisher killed a lot of violent murderers that we knew about - they didn't quite cover the fact that the public didn't necessarily know about them. And they didn't cover the fact that once you get rid of all the violent murderers, what is your answer to the guys you have no direct proof of? Or that aren't committing serious crimes?

At least part of the point of Daredevil is to some extent Matt always knows bad things are happening, because he can always hear them. He's the neighbour 10 blocks over who can hear exactly when domestic violence is happening. The Punisher can't do that.

In the comics, drug dealers are the Punishers most common targets, as every time he takes out a drug ring, or a certain gang, they're replaced before long with new people who see a chance to fill the gap.

There have been occasions when he's debated where to to draw the line in terms of who he goes after, but there's no real shortage of absolute scumbags for him to target.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Just finished up the last episode.
    I was totally expecting Frank Castle to show up and level the playing field at the end when Daredevil and Elektra are being chased by the buttload of ninjas to the rooftop. It would have been a little too convenient, but I would have gave a celebratory fist pump if it happened.

Overall I think I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1, and echo the general opinion that Punisher stole the whole damn show. I was also very impressed with Elodie Yung's fighting abilities. Shes definitely a natural.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I had the opposite feeling. Every time Elektra and the Hand were on screen the fighting was awful all round.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Punisher stuff for late in the series
    How does Kingpin plan to live a normal life if he gets out of prison? Like he and Frank basically promised that the next time they see each other, one of them dies. The problem for Fisk is that Punisher is a Marine sniper, so just because Castle sees Fisk, doesn't mean that Fisk sees anything. I know it is a bit anticlimactic, but the minute Fisk steps out of the prison, his head should blow up from Castle's rifle because he is high profile enough that it should be in the news.

Also this topic has shown me how lazy I am. Any time I am about to type DD's last name, I think to myself, "is it 'ck' or 'ch'?" then just decide to go with Matt or calling him Daredevil rather than look it up.

Geddoe on
  • Options
    How does Kingpin plan to live a normal life if he gets out of prison? Like he and Frank basically promised that the next time they see each other, one of them dies. The problem for Fisk is that Punisher is a Marine sniper, so just because Castle sees Fisk, doesn't mean that Fisk sees anything. I know it is a bit anticlimactic, but the minute Fisk steps out of the prison, his head should blow up from Castle's rifle because he is high profile enough that it should be in the news.

Also this topic has shown me how lazy I am. Any I am about to type DD's last name, I think to myself, "is it 'ck' or 'ch'?" then just decide to go with Matt or calling him Daredevil rather than look it up.

It's ck if that helps ;)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Also this topic has shown me how lazy I am. Any time I am about to type DD's last name, I think to myself, "is it 'ck' or 'ch'?" then just decide to go with Matt or calling him Daredevil rather than look it up.
    Kingpin is super egotistical, to the point where he thinks he can buy the people around him and kill those he can't control. It's why he didn't hesitate to smack the shit out of Matt in the prison cell. I don't think he is at all worried about a confrontation with Punisher because like Frank, he is pretty crazy. Though as we have seen with both DD and Kingpin, Frank loses in hand-to-hand usually. His strength is guns, and lots of em.

Still a bit salty about the minigun tease. They had him holding it in a poster to promote the show! What the H y'all??

• Options
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Just finished up the last episode.
    I was totally expecting Frank Castle to show up and level the playing field at the end when Daredevil and Elektra are being chased by the buttload of ninjas to the rooftop. It would have been a little too convenient, but I would have gave a celebratory fist pump if it happened.

Overall I think I enjoyed season 2 more than season 1, and echo the general opinion that Punisher stole the whole damn show. I was also very impressed with Elodie Yung's fighting abilities. Shes definitely a natural.

She's a black belt in karate and has a law degree.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

He can probably get some
    "special" protection from the Hand or Madame Gao.

They made it pretty clear that Madame Gao has a vested interest in Fisk and is trying to teach/manipulate him to fulfill some purpose.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Probably not an option, it's not like fugitives can't run organized crime outfits from the shadows. Season 1 had DD unravel his bulletproof public persona, no need to retread old ground like the comics do. I do want to see him as an Spider-man antagonist in the movies, though.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Probably not an option, it's not like fugitives can't run organized crime outfits from the shadows. Season 1 had DD unravel his bulletproof public persona, no need to retread old ground like the comics do. I do want to see him as an Spider-man antagonist in the movies, though.

Doubt that will happen since it makes for a lame "final boss fight" which comic book films are pretty much married to.

I mean, Kingpin can only hold his own against Spider-Man when Spidey is being written badly. His actual power level results in an immediate win against Kingpin in anything approaching a stand-up fight. Unless, as I said, he is being written badly. Spider-Man can bench about 10 tons cannonically. Sorry, that's not even a fight. That's one punch.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Doubt that will happen since it makes for a lame "final boss fight" which comic book films are pretty much married to.

I mean, Kingpin can only hold his own against Spider-Man when Spidey is being written badly. His actual power level results in an immediate win against Kingpin in anything approaching a stand-up fight. Unless, as I said, he is being written badly. Spider-Man can bench about 10 tons cannonically. Sorry, that's not even a fight. That's one punch.

They don't have to have Kingpin be the "final boss," that's what hiring/allying with super-villains are for. Comic books do have masterminds who can't fight the hero's one on one.
    Frank's "fight" with Finn was very one sided so it's not new to Marvel, as well as Killgrave - who employs muscle for bodyguards and assassins.
    He can also steal technology/buy to make himself a threat as well.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Frank's boss fight wasn't ever a boss fight. Like, at all. Daredevil's totally was, by all normal standards of expected boss fights.

This makes sense because the show is Daredevil, not Punisher. Any Spider-Man film will almost assuredly feature a main villain who is a credible physical threat to Spidey. You can dream and all, but I'm not wrong.