As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    Steiner has confirmed that Magnussen will be with Haas next year and they were looking at either Hulkenberg, Ocon, or Grosjean to be their other driver. Now that Ocon's not an option, it's looking pretty likely that it'll be Hulkenberg.

bJnuewi.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wonder where Grosjean will end up, then. Or if he's done.

Personally I'd have kept Grosjean and let Magnussen go (and jumped on Hulkenberg immediately), but Steiner doubtless knows what he's doing.

Unless the unthinkable happens and he keeps Grosjean too. Can't see it, though.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    We should all just go to a race somewhere.

Who's rich :) ?

I can chip in two bucks and seventeen cents, and half a packet of Skittles!

• Options
    Crosspoasting from the G&T Steam thread:
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    r2d14v13uege.jpg
    You can grab Dirt Rally for free (Steam key) on the Humble Store:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-rally

Get on that if you haven't already!

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Got it, thanks!
    I think the last rally game I played was Rally Championship 2000

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The NL GP is going to be... interesting to see if they can get everything in place.
    It proved exceptionally popular, with 1m write-in for the 320k available tickets.

It's been 35 years, and the F1 circus has grown a lot.

The main worry is traffic and infrastructure. The town of Zandvoort is tiny, 17k residents. It's a tourist beach town that occasionally sees large influx, but this is on another level.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Wonder where Grosjean will end up, then. Or if he's done.

Personally I'd have kept Grosjean and let Magnussen go (and jumped on Hulkenberg immediately), but Steiner doubtless knows what he's doing.

Unless the unthinkable happens and he keeps Grosjean too. Can't see it, though.

Grosjean is done. You'll see him in another car next season, but not an F1 car, that is for sure. Early in his career he drove well for Lotus, but it has gotten worse since then. I don't think he is made for this. Maybe go race endurance cars or something, but F1 is clearly not for him.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    We should all just go to a race somewhere.

Who's rich :) ?

I call Monaco classic!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'll go!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Which tracks have trackside camping? I'll only go if we can make it a trackside group camping event.
    Who am I kidding, if I have the money to go to any race that isnt America/Canada GP I will go to that race in luxury with the rest of you because I just won the lottery.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Probably the most famous one for trackside camping is Le Mans.

F1-wise, probably Spa but I'm not 100% sure.

• Options
    I know every US road circuit has trackside camping, including Daytona (Planning a Road America camping trip in 2021 for the weathertech race, if anyone is interested...), but yeah I was specifically asking about F1

• Options
    At a guess, lost of the European GPs should have trackside camping (minus Monaco probably).

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    At a guess, lost of the European GPs should have trackside camping (minus Monaco probably).

Unless you own a yatch

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Silverstone famously has an amazing camping atmosphere but the campsites aren't quite trackside IIRC.

• Options
    So Checo renewed with Racing Point, so that's one less possible seat for the Hulk.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The camping sites at the Nurburgring are right on the track limits and going to the 24hr VLN is definitely on my bucket list

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I am 1 million percent down if I can camp at Le Mans and watch fast cars drive around for an entire day (must include beer).

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The Rolex 24 is pretty fun, and you can bring in a car full of beer, and a grill, and pretty much whatever.

Not quite as nice camping as Le Mans, I'm guessing.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    End of practice 3 and beginning of qualifying is a bunch of drama in F1 today.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Engine failure after engine failure.

Two upgraded Merc engines on fire for Racing Point and Williams, an upgraded Ferrari engine on fire for Alfa, and all four Renault engines for McLaren and the works Renault being reverted to the old engine.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Qualifying result:
    Leclerc is 0.748 up on the entire field. Absolutely crushing it.

Verstappen and Ricciardo on the third row together is nice.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    That gap is just phenomenal. A bit surprised Vettel was that far back on the last run. He nailed it in S1 but fell back badly in S2. I would have said this track is an open goal for Ferrari, but this season they've wrote the book on "open goals and how to miss them".

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Not a particularly exciting qualifying in and of itself, we've had some nail-biters recently that I think have spoiled me, but still very hyped for tomorrow's race.

• Options
    It’s such a long track that the gaps between teams is very exaggerated. Supposed to be colder tomorrow so that might bring things closer with variable conditions.

• Options
    Hearing that there's been a serious incident in the F2 race. Loads of medical personnel on track. Tents up. Does not sound good.
    Seriously hope everyone involved is ok.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Avoid some of the videos being posted on Twitter. Crash is pretty horrific and disturbing. Halo and nose gone from one of the cars. :(

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm reading it involved Hubert and Correa at raidillon on lap 2. Also that there is clear video of what happened from the stands and that it is not something you want to see.

No idea beyond that.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Ugh :(

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Details I read are Hubert was stopped and Correa hit him at speed, splitting the car.

From F3 driver

:(

• Options
    :sad:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Statement: Incident during FIA Formula 2 Sprint Race, Spa Francorchamps

The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) regrets to advise that a serious incident involving cars #12, #19 and #20 occurred at 17:07 on 31/08/19 as a part of the FIA Formula 2 Sprint Race at Spa-Francorchamps, round 17 of the season.

The scene was immediately attended by emergency and medical crews, and all drivers were taken to the medical centre.

As a result of the incident, the FIA regrets to inform that the driver of car #19, Anthoine Hubert (FRA), succumbed to his injuries, and passed away at 18:35.

The driver of car #12, Juan-Manuel Correa (USA), is in a stable condition and is being treated at the CHU Liège hospital. More information on his condition will be provided when it becomes available.

The driver of car #20 Giuliano Alesi (FRA) was checked and declared fit at the medical centre.

The FIA is providing support to the event organisers and the relevant authorities, and has commenced an investigation into the incident.

RIP :(

https://www.fia.com/news/statement-incident-during-fia-formula-2-sprint-race-spa-francorchamps

altid on
  • Options
    Oh fuck.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Ugh, that sucks. Just another reminder that no matter how safe they make race cars, physics is still physics. Even with all the advancements in safety these drivers put their lives on the line every time they cinch down the belts.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    He hit wall and spun sideways and stopped off the track then the other driver T-boned him full speed into the cockpit, basically annihilating both cars.

SFW news story: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/31/spa-f2-race-abandoned-antoine-hubert-juan-manuel-correa-crash

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ugh, that sucks. Just another reminder that no matter how safe they make race cars, physics is still physics. Even with all the advancements in safety these drivers put their lives on the line every time they cinch down the belts.

Lewis said something to that effect on his Instagram. We all have our favourite drivers and those we like to put the boot into, but every one of those drivers are still risking their lives doing their job, regardless of how much they want to be there doing it - far more risk that I have in my job, say.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    It still amazes me how often drivers walk away from horrible crashes. The safety tech of cars and tracks has come along so far.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I feel bad for Correa. Nothing he could have done, it's a blind, full flat, corner complex...but that still has to weight on you. Hopefully he has the support structure around him to get any help he needs.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Let's get away from the horrific accident for a moment. I have a bunch of new photos for you. Its not Formula 1, but still motorsport, so I guess it can go here.

I have been back home in the east of Germany last week. There was a classic car rallye going on, with the endpoint in Dresden, which of course I went to and snapped a bunch of photos.

1. Opel P4, 1936 I believe
    2. VW Bully
    3. Karmann Ghia and VW PS2 - the latter only build in and for Brazil in the 70s, never sold in Germany
    4. Skoda 100 from the early 70s
    5. Lada - this is an East German Police car
    6. Enzmann 506 (build from '56 to '68 in Switzerland)
    9q4odxfh0ios.jpg
    aetc36a88ohm.jpg
    ndaqq7mdz6cr.jpg
    m4pcmo9rrdcs.jpg
    5rroo2db2vgc.jpg
    on4m7bdndxjl.jpg

A couple of days later, I went to the Lausitzring. This racetrack was build in the late 90s in an old coal mining facility south of Berlin. It was built as a Tri-Oval track, so that the US CART series could run their races there. September 15th, 2001 (yeapp, 4 days after 9/11) was the first European race of the CART series at the Lausitzring. Unfortunately there was a huge accident late in the race, where Alessandro Zanardi basically lost both his lower legs - he is still racing cars though. In 2015 he raced the 24hrs of Spa in a specially configured BMW Z4 GT3.

The main event was the DTM race. There were also a Audi R8 LMS cup race and a historic DTM cars race. Cars from the historic race I had seen 2 weeks earlier on the Nürburgring already.
    khr15sy2dbhm.jpg
    3n60r5blkhm9.jpg
    ntk7yo81s7ab.jpg

But the interesting part of that day were another two historic races. One was for Eastern Bloc touring cars - Lada, Skoda, Zastava. The other one was for Eastern Bloc formula cars. I actually sort of remember those touring cars from my childhood.
    1zifi3rxck7s.jpg
    0tke7bi7czsz.jpg
    4b9fi5tp73ls.jpg
    4yw5emfdpapg.jpg
    s8si22wqatak.jpg
    n7n8ueiqtaxa.jpg
    lb84mhh4zk87.jpg

This is part one of my recent adventures - part 2 will be the next post.

• Options
    Part 2.

I went back to the Nürburgring yesterday. The Blancpain GT World Challenge is there this weekend, with a bunch of support races. GT4 European Series, Lamborghini Super Trofeo and Formula Renault.
    y2e6x0e9m3xp.jpg
    1ljtgc3u42im.jpg
    xizg9fv3jh4m.jpg
    b846ow8dyv2s.jpg
    d2r7x6xdaez2.jpg
    zzx8qfm71psy.jpg
    f39qoezygr89.jpg
    8ego8bojhy76.jpg

And there was another event - the Sim Racing Expo. They had an event hall with live racing.
    jngldd6albzg.jpg
    nm1l2urapqgp.jpg

And let me tell you, holy sim racing rig, Batman - the rigs they had there.
    vefs4ah25pp3.jpg
    0x79rthkf37k.jpg
    gdpcsuk3yoxq.jpg
    k2buwtkdc9eb.jpg
    dgrjt0k1xevs.jpg
    i8d2ykdrqv5p.jpg

I tried out this one. The screens are 65'' - each! The whole rig costs 50.000 pounds. Its fully hydraulic. The seat belts dig into you, when you brake. And boy, do I want one. The game was iRacing and I drove a Porsche around the Nürburgring GP for 3 laps.
    bywqjjlcdm8t.jpg

This discussion has been closed.