As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Oh boy.

So Verstappen seems to be fitting in with the new team reasonably well.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Oh wow, this is going to be a good one.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I was just thinking "oh wow everyone got through the first corner with no issues..."

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I'll spoiler this for those who are watching later...
    Veratappen to win, which would be amazing.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I'd quite like Ricciado to get it as well, never thought I'd see the day when I was cheering for a Red Bull with 100% sincerity

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I'd quite like Ricciado to get it as well, never thought I'd see the day when I was cheering for a Red Bull with 100% sincerity
    Riccardo is a good dude though, so really easy to cheer for him. Vettel is a lot more palatable at Ferrari as well, something to never thought I would say.

Really hoping Haas has sorted their car issues from practice and qualifying, this is a good chance for Grosjean to keep racking up points,

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Hahaha hooooo boy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Aaah so close

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    This race is brilliant!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Actual Spoiler
    Ban Mercedes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Aw man, that's gutting on the penultimate lap

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Poor Ricciado

• Options
    incredible drive from Max, also great to see more points for Mclaren

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Oh my God!
    He got his driver license a week or so ago.Brilliant race by Max. Not justbecause he's a countryman of mine. Jos must be so proud

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Oh my God!
    He got his driver license a week or so ago.Brilliant race by Max. Not justbecause he's a countryman of mine. Jos must be so proud
    Jos was just crying in an interview, so yeah, seems to be proud.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    What the shit.

I'm stunned, speechless...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Poor Ricciado
    Managed to keep 4th place at least.

• Options
    Ah both mercedesses dropped out.

Still awesome.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahah
    ahahahahahahahahahahahah

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy shit

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The track crew making the praise motions on finish.

The hug from Marco.

That look in his eyes on the podium, and his father tearing up.

Goddamn this is so awesome.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 at its absolute best. Holy crap.

Just... wow. So much wow.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    New thread title for post-race Spain because... well, because blimey.

Jazz on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    When Hamilton and Rossberg took each other out (because, let's face it, they were both at fault), the emotions i felt and the sounds I made that they corresponded to would have made quite a silly youtube video. Oh well, opportunity missed.

Just like Ferrari.
    Jazz wrote: »
    F1 at its absolute best. Holy crap.

I beg to differ. It was fun and exciting, sure, but I think it could be, and has been, better.

The finish, while great and exciting, ended up being a perfect example of why making these cars more and more aero dependent has ended up turning into a mistake. One I really hope FIA Officials learn from. They either need more mechanical and less aero grip, or they need a whole new class of tracks better designed to deal with the realities of a car this (and even more) aero dependent. That front straight today, coupled with the final turn sequence, was just too short to make passing possible. Had it been just a tad longer the drivers would have been able to actually execute the pass instead of being forced to try dive bombing the first turn (Looking at you, Ricciardo).

US Commentators were complaining about this during the last 15 laps the race, too. Raikkonen was fighting the car in the turns because he couldn't get the same aero grip when within ~.6 seconds of Verstappen. That final turn sequence, Raikkonen would enter it .4 or so behind, and then come out .7 behind which was .2 seconds too far behind to make that pass. There was also a few times he'd enter it .7 or so behind and exit it at .6, but this was also just too far behind to make the pass on the length of that front straight. I believe Raikkonen was faster, and probably had the better car, but the track was against him today.

It's still mostly a game of follow the leader, it's just better concealed at the moment.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    That track has always had that characteristic; it predates the Tilkedrome era and has largely gone unchanged, apart from the introduction of the final chicane and the tightening up of turn 10. But passing has always been difficult for F1 cars there, and that is exacerbated by its use as the default - and now practically exclusive - testing track. The teams know it inside out and back to front, which has a definite knock-on effect.

As such, Spanish Grands Prix don't tend to be the most exciting. It's actually a bit odd that such a track has had a lengthy string - ten races now - of throwing up a different winner every time.

It reminded me today of the Italian GP some years ago - 2010, I think, pre-DRS but when the notorious F-duct was in play - when it was between Button in the McLaren and Alonso in the Ferrari. They chased each other so hard all race, but the only actual change of position came in the single pit stop. I didn't care - their joust was absolutely mesmerising the whole time.

And this race more or less doubled up on that. If Verstappen had slipped up at all, Raikkonen was going to pounce. Ditto Vettel and Ricciardo. But it was down to the guy behind to pressure the guy in front to make a mistake, and for the guy in front to hold his nerve.

And yes, the Ferrari was the quicker car. But that's no guarantee of getting in front if the lead driver gets it right. (Mansell and Senna at Monaco comes to mind). It made it extra impressive that Ricciardo managed to hound Vettel as well as he did before the puncture came (and thankfully didn't actually cost him any places in the end). And, because of the track's nature as a place where it's so hard to overtake, the DRS doesn't make it a foregone conclusion like it often does. The drivers have to do it old-school. And they did.

And this time they got to do it with the win at stake, rather than a distant third behind the all-conquering Mercs.

I loved it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Best race of the season so far, right there, I think.

I got spoiled on the ending this morning (I can't watch the race until I get home from work) and even knowing the end I was still on the edge of my seat the whole time.

I picked McLaren as my team last year when I started watching, but Max as the scrappy youngster has always been fun to watch and now, with this win, I'm firmly in the Verstappen fan camp.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    It's battles that make racing exciting, not just the overtakes themselves. One little mistake by either Max or Seb could have drastically changed the result of the race. We had two quality fights going for the big points, not just some fight over 6th or something. Vettel looked a chance of winning all the way to a dozen or so laps left. Ricciardo up until the last 6-7. Kimi could have won all the way up until the last corner. And while neither Danny or Kimi successfully overtook it is some of the closest racing we've had in years with drivers managing to follow within about half a second for several laps at a time. Other tracks that would easily following close enough to make a solid overtaking opportunity.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Yup. It was nice to have some proper battles, real tooth-and-nail furballs that weren't over in a flash with a DRS pass down into a hairpin. Twenty-plus-lap scraps that could have gone either way on the tiniest mistake... and multiple ones at that, not even just one.

Legendary.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Well I just finished this race. I recorded it on the DVR. This is the first FI race I got to watch if forever. I just changed my cable package to be able to watch, and wow. I had to rewind the first crash. Even though I knew it would be seen a lot.

As I'm new to watching FI, I didn't even know what DRS was till I looked it up. I have also not followed so know nothing of who is who. I will say though, I like Red Bull, well because they are Red Bull. Think I'm going to follow that team just cause.

As for the not passing, I have to agree with people saying all it would take is one mistake. If the leader of either pair had slipped up just a bit, that would have been a change of position. I can only imagine holding that line for 16 more laps after all ready doing 50 on tires that are getting worse isn't an easy task.

Anyway, another thread I guess I will have to be stopping by. I might have questions on how things work as I'm new to actually following FI and not just wishing I could from a far and catching a race once in a while.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Amazing race. Sad that I had it spoiled before I could watch it, but still quite a show!

And yes, they need to take a hard look at how difficult to follow it is in the current regs: The air is dirty and hot ( :winky: ) so you get less aero and also trash your tires faster. So unless you're completely superior it's really hard to get an actual fight going. Heck, even among Mercs you know the one behind is on the losing end of the fight.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    edit: god damn it this is like the 20th time I've confused this thread for chat.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Renault upgrading KMag and Ric's engines for Monaco, but I guess can't make the engines fast enough.

Also apparently the upgraded Renault is pretty good.

I swear if the end of this season and next season starts being some young kid in a Red Bull just walking away with every race, over his Australian team-mate...

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Renault upgrading KMag and Ric's engines for Monaco, but I guess can't make the engines fast enough.

I swear if the end of this season and next season starts being some young kid in a Red Bull just walking away with every race, over his Australian team-mate...

I would like nothing better than Hamilton to get schooled by an 18 year old kid.

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »

I'm fine with Red Bull winning all the time. I'm all for young kids coming in and ruling the race too.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    After 2010-13, I never thought I'd find myself saying a youngster (as pointed out, with a talented Aussie teammate) running off into the distance in a Red Bull half the time would be a refreshing change.

But here we are. :wink:

DyasAlure wrote: »
    I might have questions on how things work as I'm new to actually following FI and not just wishing I could from a far and catching a race once in a while.
    Welcome! And feel free to ask as much as you like.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    After 2010-13, I never thought I'd find myself saying a youngster (as pointed out, with a talented Aussie teammate) running off into the distance in a Red Bull half the time would be a refreshing change.

But here we are. :wink:

DyasAlure wrote: »
    I might have questions on how things work as I'm new to actually following FI and not just wishing I could from a far and catching a race once in a while.
    Welcome! And feel free to ask as much as you like.

What happened from 2010-2013?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Vettel and Red Bull winning four championships in a row.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    sebastian-vettel-formula-one-indian-grand-prix-fourth-world-championship-celebration.JPG

Sebastian Vettel was in pretty much the same situation as Lewis Hamilton/Nico Rosberg are in now, an absolutely dominant car, to the point of it being really boring to watch. The only thing that stopped it was a regs change that led to the almost fairytale rise of Braun from the ashes of an offseason team implosion and their subsequent development into the current Mercedes team.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Aw I liked 2012 a whole lot

Came down to the last race at Brazil

Pastor Maldando won a race

Whats not to like?

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Vettel & Red Bull won four years on the bounce but they weren't consistently as dominant as Mercedes have been since 2014. In 2010 and 2012, they had to fight down to the last race for the championships (in 2010, at the last race, four guys (Vettel, Webber, Hamilton, Alonso) across three teams (Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari) were still in contention, it was anything but clear-cut). Admittedly they pretty much walked it in 2011 and 2013 but Mercedes now are making those Red Bulls look ropey. Which they obviously weren't.

F1's always had dominant teams in different eras but rarely as much as Mercedes are now.

Jazz on
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    sebastian-vettel-formula-one-indian-grand-prix-fourth-world-championship-celebration.JPG

Sebastian Vettel was in pretty much the same situation as Lewis Hamilton/Nico Rosberg are in now, an absolutely dominant car, to the point of it being really boring to watch. The only thing that stopped it was a regs change that led to the almost fairytale rise of Braun from the ashes of an offseason team implosion and their subsequent development into the current Mercedes team.

Not quite. The regs change and Brawn winning the title happened before Sebastian Vettel won his first title.

If anything it was that regs change that gave Red Bull the chance to catch up on development disadvantage in the old regulations, to Ferrari and McLaren, and led to them being at the front of the pack and Sebs titles.

Edit:
    Mercedes didn't do much up until the latest regs change which brought in the Turbo Engines, which funnily enough wasn't to stop Red Bull winning it was because Renault complained that the engine regs didn't correspond to road cars, in fact they threatened to pull out of the sport if the engine regulations weren't adopted... and then look what happened. All the lulz

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
This discussion has been closed.