As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Movies]: Four . . .

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited December 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
STAR WARS MOVIE THREAD: EPISODE II

It was a dark time for the message boards;
Neckbeards clashed over the most pointless minutiae,
Making the old thread an exercise painful tedium.
There were geese on both sides.

Under careful watch a new thread is established
Where only the movies may be discussed,
And anyone deciding to get lost in wharblgarble
Regarding Karen Traviss or video games
Or other horseshit or simply acting like a jerk
Will be fed directly to the almighty Sarlacc
Where they will be slowly digested for a thousand years.

This second chance, or "new hope," you might say,
Is perhaps the last opportunity to salvage peace in the galaxy,
Saving the PENNY ARCADE FORUMS from its worst enemy:
Itself

Atomika on

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    One day and already 22 million views.

Nicely done.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm not generally a fan of any of the Star Wars films. I think the OT are alright but they never grabbed me like they have other people.

I'm genuinely interested to see this though. Pretty sure this will be our Christmas day movie.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm not generally a fan of any of the Star Wars films. I think the OT are alright but they never grabbed me like they have other people.

I'm genuinely interested to see this though. Pretty sure this will be our Christmas day movie.
    Hey, you're never too late to be converted to the dark side. :)

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Loosen up!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Hey, you're never too late to be converted to the dark fun side. :)

*puts a blanket on like a robe and makes lightsaber noises*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Should discussion of that trailer be in spoiler tags? I mean, I'm assuming everyone's seen it, but still. Well, let's just be on the safe side.
    Harrison Ford is too old to play Han Solo.

I mean, I get why he's there. Han Solo is probably one of the most popular and memorable characters from the original trilogy, but... no. I don't think it works.

Also, I get the feeling Ford's acting abilities have eroded with time. But maybe that's just the movies he's been in.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Darn. The idea of hijacking the trailer thread amused me.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Should discussion of that trailer be in spoiler tags? I mean, I'm assuming everyone's seen it, but still. Well, let's just be on the safe side.

I mean, I get why he's there. Han Solo is probably one of the most popular and memorable characters from the original trilogy, but... no. I don't think it works.

Also, I get the feeling Ford's acting abilities have eroded with time. But maybe that's just the movies he's been in.

I think this is the only one the original cast is in. I recall something along the lines of Abrams wanting this movie to be a sort of hand off to a new generation before making it exclusively about them.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    First, let's get on the hype train because I'm about to put the red log in the burner and get this thing up to 88 mph...oh wait I've crossed the stream...damn, did it again.

I've decided for the sake of my daughter to embrace the prequels. I've come to the conclusion that she's going to enjoy them a lot and I don't want to spoil her experience with my jadedness. I'll just grin and bear jar jar. But the rest I can find the good in so there you have it. I'm now including the prequels in my head canon. Midichlorians were just a mistaken theory championed by Qui-gon and died with him.

Whew. At least I have a few years before she will realistically be watching Star Wars movies.

As for this next movie. Unmmmmmgggggjhhhh. I'm ready. I'm so ready.

• Options
    First, let's get on the hype train because I'm about to put the red log in the burner and get this thing up to 88 mph...oh wait I've crossed the stream...damn, did it again.

I've decided for the sake of my daughter to embrace the prequels. I've come to the conclusion that she's going to enjoy them a lot and I don't want to spoil her experience with my jadedness. I'll just grin and bear jar jar. But the rest I can find the good in so there you have it. I'm now including the prequels in my head canon. Midichlorians were just a mistaken theory championed by Qui-gon and died with him.

Whew. At least I have a few years before she will realistically be watching Star Wars movies.

As for this next movie. Unmmmmmgggggjhhhh. I'm ready. I'm so ready.

The upside to the prequels is that then you can get her on the Clone Wars hype train and enjoy a whole ton of quality tv so having to endure three meh movies isn't a bad trade there, I think.
    Midichlorians were just a mistaken theory championed by Qui-gon and died with him.
    That's really not a bad way to look at that one, actually. He got his information from JediNaturalNews.com and it's also why young Anakin never got his dark side vaccinations.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think what I appreciate at least in these trailers is that Abrahams is making a star wars movie for the older generation, and not trying to make a new kids movie unlike Lucas.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    Posted this over in SE++ too-

I think it was somewhere in this thread that the Sphero ball toy thing was brought up as something that moves like BB-8 (albeit much smaller). Turns out the company that makes the Sphero's are actually the ones behind the working BB-8

http://fortune.com/2015/04/17/iger-star-wars-bb8-sphero/
    It turns out that the startup, headed by CEO Paul Berberian, was selected for Disney’s accelerator program last year, along with nine other companies. According to Disney’s website, the three-month-long program picks tech startups who want to “make an impact on the world of media and entertainment,” giving them upwards of $120,000 in investment capital. It also matches each startup with a mentor from within Disney’s executive ranks. Sphero’s mentor? You guessed it: Iger. When the tech-savvy CEO saw Sphero’s technology in action, he realized the potential application for BB-8 and connected the startup with the masterminds of the Star Wars characters.

Executives at Sphero couldn’t be reached for comment, but the company’s website describes its signature product as an app-controlled ball that does it all. The same underlying technology, which was licensed to create the version of BB-8 that graced the stage at the Star Wars Celebration (Kennedy calls it the “Red Carpet BB-8″), allows the little bot to glide around on a ball-like structure, literally running circles around R2-D2.

What’s interesting is that Sphero also appears to be working with Disney on a Star Wars-themed toy (who wouldn’t want their own, fully-functional BB-8 rolling around their home?)

Sphero is going to make baaaaaannnkkk

• Options
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular

@rts had some good predictions --

1. Luke dies at the very beginning of the film, after recording a message with R2D2
    2. That message is directed towards his niece -- the daughter of Lei and Han Solo -- who is the female protagonist in the trailer
    3. Lei/Han's daughter is given the lightsaber that once belonged to Anakin Skywalker, which was lost at Bespin but not destroyed
    4. The Chrometooper is a bounty hunter

I added my own prediction--

The dark Jedi is a girl. Dunno, something about the way she moves, plus the mask. Seems feminine to me.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Concept art shows Finn with the lightsaber, but who knows how plot accurate concept art is.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Truly, the dark times are over.

We are free of the tyrannical Lucas, Whom built an empire on good will and became corrupt and fetid.

Glorious will be the future, free of angst, poor writing, bad acting, and poorly disguised political commentary.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

We are free of the tyrannical Lucas, Whom built an empire on good will and became corrupt and fetid.

Glorious will be the future, free of angst, poor writing, bad acting, and poorly disguised political commentary.

Eh its still J.J. Abrahams....

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Which is still leaps and bounds ahead of prequel Lucas at the very least.

• Options
    Of course, just lets not go in expecting something amazeballs, I'll be more than happy with something that keeps a good tone and doesn't go up its own ass.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

Which is still leaps and bounds ahead of prequel Lucas at the very least.

A camera... B camera...

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Of course, just lets not go in expecting something amazeballs, I'll be more than happy with something that keeps a good tone and doesn't go up its own ass.
    Lets just pray he can keep cute callbacks and references to a minimum.

Dumb shit like "I got a bad feeling about this.." or some variation on that (like good instead) for instance.

I just want a fun new Star Wars adventure that moves the series forward, not for it to be overstuffed with nostalgia pandering.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I expect them to be a lot like the Stark Trek movies he made when he really wanted to make Star Wars movies. Those were exactly what I want out of these movies so I really can't see it being a letdown. Lucas never understood what he'd stumbled into with Star Wars, Abrams gets it.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't think it will be. From the trailers we see familiar with new. Like the new xwings, they are familiar but different. Same with the TIE's and the storm troopers.

Might be a line or two from the OT, but I'm guessing he's aware as anyone that if the films feels to fan filmish that will also piss people off.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Am I the only actually excited that Ford is reprising this role as an old man?

Grumpy grandpa/crazy uncle Solo has the potential to be quite entertaining. I was never really a Han fan but this could be a pretty fun take on the character.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

Grumpy grandpa/crazy uncle Solo has the potential to be quite entertaining. I was never really a Han fan but this could be good.

I can't wait for the complaints about the Falcon levied at whoever has it now. I imagine it'll go a lot like John Winchester did with Dean when the Impala looked to be in bad shape to his eyes.

I do like how they just have the OT cast be old, not doctor them up with CG, just have them look as they are and go from there. We need new heroes with this trilogy not the same ones, another sin of the PT.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Grumpy grandpa/crazy uncle Solo has the potential to be quite entertaining. I was never really a Han fan but this could be a pretty fun take on the character.

I am excite.

Han in TFA prediction (not my official predictions, those come later):
    Rodians find Han after a four decade-ish manhunt. Han tries to bargain instead of shooting first. Han dies. Chewy hijacks the third Death Star. Chewy blows up the Rodian home planet.

Luke was there recruiting for his bit light side but not dark side new force users. Luke dies.

Leia is pissed. Emperor 2.0 in the making for episode VIII.

New people do some stuff.

R2D2 and C3PO retire to a new planet that is dry but not cold or hot.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »

1. Luke dies at the very beginning of the film, after recording a message with R2D2
    2. That message is directed towards his niece -- the daughter of Lei and Han Solo -- who is the female protagonist in the trailer
    3. Lei/Han's daughter is given the lightsaber that once belonged to Anakin Skywalker, which was lost at Bespin but not destroyed

The dark Jedi is a girl. Dunno, something about the way she moves, plus the mask. Seems feminine to me.

It is logical for there to be more than a single Sith and the movies haven't had a lady Sith/dark sider before.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Keep in mind Abrams worst collaborators: Kurtzman, Orci and Lindelof aren't writing it.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »

It is logical for there to be more than a single Sith and the movies haven't had a lady Sith/dark sider before.

There are a lot of interesting rumors about Gwendoline Christie's character, namely that she's the face behind the mask of the Chrometrooper. Though that could be very good obfuscation, and she could make for a very good Sith/Inquisitor.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Right around when Disney purchased Lucasfilm and announced the new films I did up a little fan poster for my portfolio. Once I saw that establishing shot in the second teaser I about lost my shit

qohut4hpbkxg.jpg

Needless to say I think Abrhams owes me some of that Jar Jar funny money for stealing my trademarked ideas.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    But then they throw down that concept art from 'The Force Unleashed' and say the idea of Star Destroyers face planting into planets isn't new and then... they unleash their lawyers... and you die I guess. I don't know law very well.

Also, he one-upped you by putting in a crashed SUPER Star Destroyer.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So talking with the nerd family today who have also watched the trailer about 5 times.

Listen to the initial statements...

"The force is strong in my family."

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

That first part is very interesting if that is Luke. Notice it isn't past tense.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Right around when Disney purchased Lucasfilm and announced the new films I did up a little fan poster for my portfolio. Once I saw that establishing shot in the second teaser I about lost my shit

qohut4hpbkxg.jpg

Needless to say I think Abrhams owes me some of that Jar Jar funny money for stealing my trademarked ideas.

I like how yours looks more close to the time of the crash with the smoldering. Episode VI.v?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So talking with the nerd family today who have also watched the trailer about 5 times.

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

That first part is very interesting if that is Luke. Notice it isn't past tense.

It's the same phrasing as it was in Return of the Jedi.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Force Ghosts, whatever they're called. Luke talked to Obi Wan long after Obi Wan died. Who's to say he's not having little chats with Not-Hayden Christensen? The Force is still there and you're still one with it after death.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    reVerse wrote: »

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

It's the same phrasing as it was in Return of the Jedi.

Clip in question:

https://youtu.be/MDYX_PgorRY?t=1m34s

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

Dumb shit like "I got a bad feeling about this.." or some variation on that (like good instead) for instance.

I just want a fun new Star Wars adventure that moves the series forward, not for it to be overstuffed with nostalgia pandering.

This was said in all three of the original movies. It was kind of the groups thing to say when shit was about to get real. I am very sad you consider it dumb.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

This was said in all three of the original movies. It was kind of the groups thing to say when shit was about to get real. I am very sad you consider it dumb.

Just give the line to Chewy with Han giving a knowing glance.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

"My father has it."

"I have it."

"My sister has it."

"And you have it."

His father is a blue glowy, so he's not dead, just "One with the force." It may be a distinction that Luke it's making.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter