As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    It's not that I necessarily dislike the helmet designs (though admittedly some of them are hideous) but rather I prefer to have them off because it gives the characters more a sense of individuality.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh My God wrote: »
    No but immune systems are build off exposure to pathogens and building resistance. A normal human born and then place in a sterile environment all their life would have a less effect immune system than your average human.

Just, don't ask why the Quarians forgot how germ theory worked when they left their Homeworld.

Right, but they would still have a immune system. They'd get exposed to chicken pox, get sick, generate antibodies and bob's your uncle. The immune response isn't some sort of lamarckian," Well, dad didn't get sick much so my white blood cells are wimpier" sort of thing. The whole 'sterile environment' concept is just as much of a laugh; people cough. People sneeze. People sweat and spit and poop. Unless they somehow managed to completely eradicate all viruses, fungus and bacteria, inside and outside their bodies (without harming the beneficial bacteria doubtlessly doing yeoman's work inside them), the ships weren't anything like sterile. And if they somehow managed to do that in the first place? Congratulations! You have peerless medical technology which should be perfectly up to the task of coping with your race's deficient immune system once natural selection works its magic in ten million years.
    Didn't the Quarians evolve on a planet with no insects, which was why their immune system was kinda weak to begin with? Like, I thought that was one of reasons to explain why their immune system was so weak that it just fell apart in a couple hundred years.

Outside of their use as vectors for bloodborne pathogens, I'm not sure what the absence of insects does for the idea of a weak immune system? There is mention that there wasn't much in the way of horrible infectious diseases among the Quarian before they hopped on ships, and that's why their immune systems are 'weak'. Except... this same small, non-threatening pool of not-scary diseases is the one that their immune systems seemingly cannot handle now, three hundred years later despite billions of years of evolutionary preparation. That supposed answer just raises the question of 'So why do these weak diseases suddenly pose a threat?'.

Like I said; soft as butter.

Tali explains it as being that since their planet didn't have insect life the creatures that evolved there had a symbiotic or at least sympathetic relationship with plant life. I don't know the specifics, because I think she says she doesn't know them either, but their immune systems accept foreign material more easily as a result of that or something. It's not diseases that pose a threat, she says that if she's exposed to a human being who has a cold she won't catch the cold, but rather her immune system will accept the foreign material then because it's not something that originated on Rannoch it will have an extreme overreaction as it goes "what the fuuuuck is this why isn't it helping? Oh shit oh shit oh shit".

At least that's the vague sense I remember. I have no idea how much of that is true or not. I think the idea was that they could never live off of Rannoch outside of their suits, it wasn't a new thing that suddenly started happening after the Morning War.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so.... kinda like anaphylactic shock then?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Oh My God wrote: »
    No but immune systems are build off exposure to pathogens and building resistance. A normal human born and then place in a sterile environment all their life would have a less effect immune system than your average human.

Just, don't ask why the Quarians forgot how germ theory worked when they left their Homeworld.

Right, but they would still have a immune system. They'd get exposed to chicken pox, get sick, generate antibodies and bob's your uncle. The immune response isn't some sort of lamarckian," Well, dad didn't get sick much so my white blood cells are wimpier" sort of thing. The whole 'sterile environment' concept is just as much of a laugh; people cough. People sneeze. People sweat and spit and poop. Unless they somehow managed to completely eradicate all viruses, fungus and bacteria, inside and outside their bodies (without harming the beneficial bacteria doubtlessly doing yeoman's work inside them), the ships weren't anything like sterile. And if they somehow managed to do that in the first place? Congratulations! You have peerless medical technology which should be perfectly up to the task of coping with your race's deficient immune system once natural selection works its magic in ten million years.
    Didn't the Quarians evolve on a planet with no insects, which was why their immune system was kinda weak to begin with? Like, I thought that was one of reasons to explain why their immune system was so weak that it just fell apart in a couple hundred years.

Outside of their use as vectors for bloodborne pathogens, I'm not sure what the absence of insects does for the idea of a weak immune system? There is mention that there wasn't much in the way of horrible infectious diseases among the Quarian before they hopped on ships, and that's why their immune systems are 'weak'. Except... this same small, non-threatening pool of not-scary diseases is the one that their immune systems seemingly cannot handle now, three hundred years later despite billions of years of evolutionary preparation. That supposed answer just raises the question of 'So why do these weak diseases suddenly pose a threat?'.

Like I said; soft as butter.

Tali explains it as being that since their planet didn't have insect life the creatures that evolved there had a symbiotic or at least sympathetic relationship with plant life. I don't know the specifics, because I think she says she doesn't know them either, but their immune systems accept foreign material more easily as a result of that or something. It's not diseases that pose a threat, she says that if she's exposed to a human being who has a cold she won't catch the cold, but rather her immune system will accept the foreign material then because it's not something that originated on Rannoch it will have an extreme overreaction as it goes "what the fuuuuck is this why isn't it helping? Oh shit oh shit oh shit".

At least that's the vague sense I remember. I have no idea how much of that is true or not. I think the idea was that they could never live off of Rannoch outside of their suits, it wasn't a new thing that suddenly started happening after the Morning War.

That would also explain why they haven't colonized anywhere. They don't need a planet. They need their planet.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    so.... kinda like anaphylactic shock then?

Yeah. It's an allergic reaction to any microorganism that they hadn't evolved to coexist with. The implication is that if they weren't in their suits all the time and were on Rannoch they would be ill for a short time but would eventually adapt. This would have happened when they were first born, but since now they basically live their entire lives in those suits none of them ever got that adaptation even on the fleet. Like Tali says, the suits are as much a cultural thing as for their protection and that's why they wear them even on the clean areas of their ships.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and any ambassadors Pre-Morning War would have been in them as well. Hell, any guests to Rannoch probably had to wear the suits so they didn't infect the planet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Man I cannot find the ME2 Vanuard+Cain combo with September on youtube anymore. Hope it wasn't taken down because that video was beautiful.

At least this is still up. Hopefully we get more scenes like this in ME4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWs5xdAIRQ

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, quarians and turians shouldn't be able to catch laevo-diseases. I remember some kind of banter like "btw, did you know this is actually a bullshit allergy?"

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Man I cannot find the ME2 Vanuard+Cain combo with September on youtube anymore. Hope it wasn't taken down because that video was beautiful.

I was going to ask @curly haired boy what he did with the video while also posting my video of Shepard dancing to September, but then I looked at my channel and saw that my September video is gone and I didn't even get a notice about it. Maybe Earth, Wind and Fire's record label is doing a crackdown. :(

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ok I guess mine isn't gone, I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyVeXqms9g

By looking at my video manager... but it's not searchable anymore. :/

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    RedBeardJimRedBeardJim Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    @Cambiata , when I tried to play it just now it says "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

edit: 'your country' being the USA in my case.

RedBeardJim on
  • Options
    Cambiata , when I tried to play it just now it says "This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Booooo

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Damn you rights owners!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    yeah. the video is still in my bookmarks, just blocked

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Didn't have enough points to settle Tali/Legion, or get them to not be a dick for losing. Huh.

First time that's happened.

sig.gif
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Didn't have enough points to settle Tali/Legion, or get them to not be a dick for losing. Huh.

Perfect runs are boring anyway.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Perfect runs are the best, I hate it when someone dies...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    McHoger wrote: »

Perfect runs are boring anyway.
    I've deliberately chosen sides before, but this time I didn't actually get the chance to work it out, even though wouldn't have anyway.

I've done the perfect runs, and those are cool, but now I'm on the 'permutations'.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I actually went looking for the September video a month or two ago, as it was the first place that came to mind with a quality bit of Shepard dancing and I thought I might try to master it if I was going to be in the suit at a convention.

There are other videos out there with the Shepard shuffle.

But it's just not the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Sometimes I break out my N7 hoodie and put some mad dance beats on my sound system and go all out in the comfort of my living room.

So I kinda wiggle around on the spot and do that ~~woobity-woobity-woo~~ thing with my arms and everything is alright with the world

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Perfect runs are the best, I hate it when someone dies...

My Shepard was a damn hero. Quarian/Geth conflict? No big deal. Krogan? Safely under Wrex's leadership with the genophage cured. Rachni? Allies. Thorian? Defeated with no loss of life at Zhu's Hope. Friggin' Space Hitler? Girlfriend and no longer a Nazi. The Council? Allowed to survive, but hung up on repeatedly. Batarians? ...killed by the score :p

Only Kaiden, Mordin, and Thane died under his watch, which I believe is the story minimum. None in the suicide mission.

My Shepard was a collation builder when possible, head puncher when necessary. Slow to anger, but absolutely ruthless and efficient when pressed into action. And he didn't just save the galaxy, he made it a more inclusive, understanding, open place.

• Options
    Legion's death is story-required as well, though you can kill it yourself (by choosing stupid the Quarians) if you really want to.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh man... I've been unable to yell at both sides to stop the Quarian/Geth conflict exactly once. I picked the Geth, of course, because Quarians are dumb except for Tali. That scene was rough... and they toss in an unwinnable paragon interrupt just to be dicks. Ugh! Just thinking about it makes me want to cry :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    At least this is still up. Hopefully we get more scenes like this in ME4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWs5xdAIRQ

Fuckin' A, do I miss my squad. New squad had better be some cool guys, they have big shoes to fill.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Legion's death is story-required as well, though you can kill it yourself (by choosing stupid the Quarians) if you really want to.

That's right, I forgot about that.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Legion didn't die

Legion lives on in the Geth themselves

you filthy roboheathen

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    At least their not a robosexual!

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Hey so I've got some really long videos of that time I ended up somehow solo finishign the end of 7,8,9 in gold.
    Does anyone want to see those cos if not I'm gonna delete them to make space.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    waves 7, 8, and 9?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

Legion didn't die

you filthy roboheathen

Until you fry him with a beautiful wave of red.

Sorry bro, but it was for the good of the galaxy.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

Legion didn't die

you filthy roboheathen

His sacrifice will be remembered in the coming empire.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    waves 7, 8, and 9?

Yeah, it was that game you left and later started apologising during, like, wave 9. i did not reply at the time due to being in permanent mortal peril.
    then in wave ten i was immediately eaten by a gru banshee

they'd had enough of my shit

and i was completely exhausted by that point anyway so i didnt even have the energy to be mad

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

Legion didn't die

you filthy roboheathen

The good of the galaxy would seem to be best served by preserving the knowledge and memory of the civilizations that came before the current cycle. Which is only accomplished through Synthesis.

Yeah, it sucks that it's such a magical cop-out of an ending, but at least it relies on seemingly impossible technology like 9,000 other things in Mass Effect, rather than presenting two choices that are anathema to most people's Shepard persona established over the course of three games. That's easier to fix with additional exposition than "Genocide is kind of Shepard's thing" or "Shepard runs with the Illusive Man's idea."

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Legion didn't die

you filthy roboheathen

I prefer the theory that starkid was a lying piece of shit trying to save his own hide and there was no effect on anything other than the reapers

because screw starkid's rambling

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Legion didn't die

you filthy roboheathen

The good of the galaxy would seem to be best served by preserving the knowledge and memory of the civilizations that came before the current cycle. Which is only accomplished through Synthesis.

Yeah, it sucks that it's such a magical cop-out of an ending, but at least it relies on seemingly impossible technology like 9,000 other things in Mass Effect, rather than presenting two choices that are anathema to most people's Shepard persona established over the course of three games. That's easier to fix with additional exposition than "Genocide is kind of Shepard's thing" or "Shepard runs with the Illusive Man's idea."

It depends on the species.

Turian.

• Options
    waves 7, 8, and 9?

Yeah, it was that game you left and later started apologising during, like, wave 9. i did not reply at the time due to being in permanent mortal peril.

and i was completely exhausted by that point anyway so i didnt even have the energy to be mad

i'm still sorry :P

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    waves 7, 8, and 9?

dont be, i thought it was hilarious
    i think you wished me luck in the gold solo run i was planning to do
    it warmed my heart as i finished off the wave

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    waves 7, 8, and 9?

After all this time?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Legion didn't die

you filthy roboheathen

Or so the Reapers claim, but they're hardly reliable narrators.
    Shepard had to sacrifice someone on Virmire. I'd say losing the geth is acceptable to take down the Reapers. Destroying the solar system would also be worth it.

This discussion has been closed.