As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bioware Games] Stop Dragon My Heart Around

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Assuran wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm going to bring this up here and see if anyone else noticed this piece of lore. I remember doing this table mission on every character, but finally it hit me that this is a potentially HUGE revelation:

spoiler stuff
    http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Unmask_"Those_Across_the_Sea"

Um....who the hell are THOSE people? I'm fairly certain this is an entirely new power group that was introduced. There's slightly more info on them here: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Executors

They sound pretty interesting, at least.

The phrase they drop in there
    "A caterpillar on a leaf does not know there is a forest about him"

makes me think the next Dragon Age game is gonna be a crossover with Jade Empire

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I think I just did that operation for the first time recently and definitely thought it was interesting.

@DrZiplock If you want the answer to that question:
    Afraid not, sorry.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I think I just did that operation for the first time recently and definitely thought it was interesting.

@DrZiplock If you want the answer to that question:
    Afraid not, sorry.

Are you sure? Cause I'm reading some stuff that says in Trespasser that might not be the case.

Yes, I spoiled that one potential relationship for myself.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    @DrZiplock
    Unfortunately, I am sure, yes.

At least...well, if you really want to know how that character fits in
    She doesn't. Harding is basically not really in Trespasser. There is at least 1 potential reference to a romance with her (and a song about her!), but there's no actual interaction with her.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Aside from the relationships and comraderie in DA2, I honestly don't care for DA's setting, to be honest. I appreciate that Mass Effect and Dragon Age went in two very different directions in regards to world building and characterization, rather than just doing KOTOR again and again, I just feel like they succeeded with their goals in Mass Effect much more.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Okay, so I'm going to bring this up here and see if anyone else noticed this piece of lore. I remember doing this table mission on every character, but finally it hit me that this is a potentially HUGE revelation:

spoiler stuff

Um....who the hell are THOSE people? I'm fairly certain this is an entirely new power group that was introduced. There's slightly more info on them here: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Executors

Nothing more than a group of pranksters. Do not concern yourself with them.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

spoiler stuff

Nothing more than a group of pranksters. Do not concern yourself with them.
    it's those guys who hang out with sera

the... red jennies? is that what they were called?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Alright, restarted as dwarf rogue. Really wasn't feeling my mage. Thought knight-enchanter would turn it around, but they kind of half assed how the whole spellblade thing works and I didn't care for it. Kept a save file so I can try the other two mage specs at some point.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Found a note I missed on my first play through.

Of course it's about a hunter who shoots a templar preparing to rape a dying woman with 3rd degree burns and gets PTSD from it.

Vidya Games: are we edgy enough yet m8?!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Huh! So I found out via reddit about something in Trespasser that I hadn't realized before, despite playing it four times.

(barely but not really Trespasser spoilers -- nothing plot, basically an easter egg I guess -- main game Here Lies the Abyss spoilers)
    So if you've played the DLC you may know that you can find an unknown chapter of Hard in Hightown, which Varric insists he didn't write. It involves the protagonist of HiH having a drink with someone and watching the sun set.

What I didn't realize is that the story changes depending on who was sacrificed in the Fade. Namely, the second person changes to reflect whoever was left behind, sometimes vaguely and sometimes more overtly.

You can read all the different versions on the wiki.

That's...pretty neat.

kaceyp on
  • Options
    Dear Bioware,

Please make a new "gesturing while talking" animation. You've used the same weird, t-rex arm flailing animation since ME1, and its just gotten more awkward looking with age.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Turn it into the Shepherd dance.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Dear Bioware,

Please make a new "gesturing while talking" animation. You've used the same weird, t-rex arm flailing animation since ME1, and its just gotten more awkward looking with age.

This is offensive

• Options
    Actual motion capture footage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Pe1zQ1ySE

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    Dear Bioware,

This is offensive

I know, those people really shouldn't be imitating T-rexs like that.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Turns out, in my world at least, it will remain a Dragon Age.

...because I sure as fuck can't kill any of those flying lizard assholes.

"Oh, hey..you know what..cool. That's your ruin now. Love what you've done with the place."

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I bet you've skinned a few since that post. They're not that hard (at least eventually/if you're not on nightmare I guess, never tried). Or just be KE and win.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    ASD man, ASD. Always Slay Dragons.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I bet you've skinned a few since that post. They're not that hard (at least eventually/if you're not on nightmare I guess, never tried). Or just be KE and win.

...actually, not a single one.

I've been kinda busy so my last time playing was when I successfully saved right after running the fuck away.

Bravely running away, mind you.

More like a good cardio cycle.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So how are the DA:I DLCs? Did a full playthrough of the game when it was new, didn't love it but enjoyed it. I was just curious what the general opinion of the DLCs are so I can decide if I should get them and do another playthrough.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So how are the DA:I DLCs? Did a full playthrough of the game when it was new, didn't love it but enjoyed it. I was just curious what the general opinion of the DLCs are so I can decide if I should get them and do another playthrough.

Jaws is a new full zone for 20+ characters with some cool stuff, Descent is a mega dungeon with some cool lore and cinematics, also for 20+ characters, Trespasser is IMPORTANT STORY CONTENT and features a real postage epilogue story that is great and resolves the end credit thing.

• Options
    Yeah, all three are pretty different in style. A lot of people say that Jaws is like a more perfected version of a large zone. It's a big, very pretty pretty place that you run around that has its own major self-contained storyline. It has some interesting historical lore and your party can potentially be fairly talkative. Scout Harding has some good stuff here. Heavy on Avvar culture. Light on cinematics.

The Descent is a great big seamless dungeon going further and further down. I found the story to end a bit too abruptly, but it has some seemingly important lore development. More cinematics than Jaws -- nothing super fancy, mostly cinematic conversations, but more nonethless. Lighter on party dialogue.

Trespasser is a direct followup on the characters and the story of the Inquisition. Areas are laid out much more similarly to the "main quest" areas like Adamant and the Arbor Wilds, as opposed to larger zones. Very story heavy with important story developments and reveals. Lots of little extras. Don't expect Citadel-level companion content, but I think it's easily more than any other Dragon Age DLC.

Overall, I think they're all good but very different. I liked Jaws and Descent more the second time I played them, Jaws especially. Trespasser might now be my favorite BioWare DLC.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Yeah, all three are pretty different in style. A lot of people say that Jaws is like a more perfected version of a large zone. It's a big, very pretty pretty place that you run around that has its own major self-contained storyline. It has some interesting historical lore and your party can potentially be fairly talkative. Scout Harding has some good stuff here. Heavy on Avvar culture. Light on cinematics.

The Descent is a great big seamless dungeon going further and further down. I found the story to end a bit too abruptly, but it has some seemingly important lore development. More cinematics than Jaws -- nothing super fancy, mostly cinematic conversations, but more nonethless. Lighter on party dialogue.

Trespasser is a direct followup on the characters and the story of the Inquisition. Areas are laid out much more similarly to the "main quest" areas like Adamant and the Arbor Wilds, as opposed to larger zones. Very story heavy with important story developments and reveals. Lots of little extras. Don't expect Citadel-level companion content, but I think it's easily more than any other Dragon Age DLC.

Overall, I think they're all good but very different. I liked Jaws and Descent more the second time I played them, Jaws especially. Trespasser might now be my favorite BioWare DLC.

I'm gonna just quote this in my self-review next year.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    vsove, on a scale of 1 to DOG! how responsible were you for Cullen getting a dog? Because that was the best possible thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Cullen + dog was indeed a fantastic decision.

Also:
    vsove wrote: »

2qtq8rqe7hh0.jpg

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Damnit. I'm going to be buying Trespasser soon, aren't I?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Trespasser is probably the best block of content in Inquisition, so you probably should

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I was kind of wondering why you hadn't already said anything about it. It's well worth it.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    So I hear Knights of the Fallen Empire is some really good stuff.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

if you don't quote the bear pun you've fucked up imo

• Options
    Rejiggering all my and my party's skill points. Woo.

Knight Enchanters: What are the "need to haves"? Also...do Fade Shield and Veiled Reposte play together? Basically, the barrier taking damage gives damage which generates barrier, etc.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    The Fire tree's talent that consumes barrier to do damage is good. If I remember correctly, it eats half the barrier for Fire Mine to obliterate something and then restores your barrier based on the final damage done.

I could be wrong.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So I got an e-mail telling me the Mass Effect-themed Loot Crate is going to be up for sale in a few days. Figured I'd pass it along in case anyone else was interested.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Okay I am absolutely serious when I say that people should maybe spend the $15 and take a look at the new SWTOR expansion.

Its absolutely insane because its almost like a completely different game than all of the content before it.

They seem to have made the beginnings a real, proper single-player KOTOR 3 that just happens to be attached to an MMO, with more coming soon that, god willing, will be of the same quality of what I just played.

The best part is that they added the option to make a character that skips the rest of the game and just lets you dive into that.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Having finally completed Mass Effect 3 the other day I spkurgede out and bought all the Inquisition DLC. Though my party is only level 19 so I'm going to get them to 20 or 21 and then hit the DLC!

• Options
    Right so, this game is quickly becoming unplayable. For those that went through it on PC did anyone else keep having DirectX errors?

DirectX error

"GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ("The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is a design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.")

GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760" Driver: 34709"

I'm wading through forums and such, but haven't seen a clear answer. Just a lot of people posting about it. I've crashed to desktop 5 times trying to watch/finish a cut scene and yea...can't say I'm thrilled.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Is it during the From Ashes DLC?

Because if so, it's a weird-ass error having to do with the resolution of the screen changing from the cutscene to the gameplay. There isn't really a solid fix for it (from when I had the issue), just keep hammering Esc, because that somehow helps the adjustment.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nope, during plain ole vanilla gameplay.

I've updated the drivers and it seems to be holding steady, though I'm getting a weird flicker and flash on the screen now during cutscenes and just in general.

I may poke around a bit more to see if there are tweaks, but so far it's running stable.

...and I'm sure I just jinxed it.

This discussion has been closed.