Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    So I've been lurking for awhile without posting, but I have been putting paint on miniatures.

Here are some shots from my completed B@C set. Hope you enjoy. Yes I know most of these are slightly out of focus. Spoilered for size / quantity

88th Company Night Lords "The Unwanted Heirs"

Praetor and Judge
    k32uk0r.jpg
    iAXXJwD.jpg

Terminators
    8i3jVaa.jpg
    9G2q4Wg.jpg

Claws
    eIxqC4B.jpg
    A6ZKXjY.jpg
    xDv09jp.jpg

Brother Alhrazz
    wtwpkaJ.jpg
    7onTX20.jpg
    DEEUSLL.jpg
    jdn99V4.jpg

Brother Vralkin
    yP5kFHK.jpg
    JV9wSSP.jpg
    UcSJRoY.jpg
    XKOv0xG.jpg

• Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    Those are great Woozl

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Woozl, you've nailed down the lightning on the armour! I don't know if it was you who posted attempts of the same some time ago, but if yes then this is a great improvement.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I can't like those enough. So awesome.

• Options
    Yeah that was me earlier. Thanks everyone!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I finished the Khorne half of the Age of Sigmar starter set. I didn't take pictures because I literally finished painting them minutes before I had to leave to do an Age of Sigmar event with them so I will have to take them later.

But having them done clears my plate for something new! (WIP)

ZPnJIA0l.jpg

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Woozl wrote: »
    Yeah that was me earlier. Thanks everyone!

It might have been me. I've posted Night Lords that are much worse then yours.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So, painting thread. A question:

I really hate the paint job on my current army. Most of it is layered on too thick, I fucked up a LOT of the edge highlighting, and the color isn't exactly what I want it to be.

Normally I would just think "reprime and start over", but like I said, in most cases the paint is...pretty thick. I'm not that great.

Which brings me to my question- what can I use to strip these guys? They are a mixture of GW plastic, Mantic plastics, and some resin bases+accessories.

I don't really want to have them fall apart either....

I was thinking Simple Green but I honestly don't know. Suggestions?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Soak em in simple green for a couple of days, then scrub with an old tooth brush. The paint will come right off.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Simple Green is love, Simple Green is life. I've never had a problem with it on plastics. It's almost too gentle, in fact, and depending on your primer you'll probably have to do some scrubbing to remove the worst of the paint.

If it really makes you nervous, you can always do the Simple Green baths for shorter durations to monitor its effect, and use some test pieces to make sure it's not damaging your models in a way you won't appreciate.

As for falling apart, you might not have a choice, depending on what you used to bond the parts together.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I finished the Khorne half of the Age of Sigmar starter set. I didn't take pictures because I literally finished painting them minutes before I had to leave to do an Age of Sigmar event with them so I will have to take them later.

But having them done clears my plate for something new! (WIP)

ZPnJIA0l.jpg

I see you are going for the classic comic book villain colour combination?

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Almost.
    PLAYSTATION--XCOM%20UFO%20Defense%20_Nov30%202_26_46.png

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Did someone say comic book villain?

Green_goblin2.jpg

All that guy needs is some explosives strapped to his hands, a Tzeench hover disk (they still have those in Warhammer, right?), and he's off to the races!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Actually it was originally purple instead of magenta. It looked like a Constructicon.

There's a reason that is a common color scheme. Green, purple, and orange are equidistant from each other on the color wheel.

• Options
    I wish there were more decals available for different Forgeworlds.

Right now its only Mars, Metallica and Ryza. Mars colour theme is just really ubiquitous, Metallica is probably a pain in the ass to paint for all the infantry and Ryza, I don't know, it's interesting but I'm not sure it looks good. Maybe I have to do a test with black armour plates instead of silver for more contrast with the ochre robes. What colour provides a nice ochre anyway?

• Options
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »

The colourschemes are nice, I just actually like having decals/transfers available. Also I currently have some Guard tanks in a relatively dark paint scheme and weathering dark colours is just not as fun and easy as lighter colours.

• Options
    Oh shit, yeah, you were talking about decals. Sorry.
    You could probably make your own pretty easily though! A guy on a forum I frequent had no complaints about the quality of custom decals he ordered off the internet.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Simple Green is love, Simple Green is life. I've never had a problem with it on plastics. It's almost too gentle, in fact, and depending on your primer you'll probably have to do some scrubbing to remove the worst of the paint.

If it really makes you nervous, you can always do the Simple Green baths for shorter durations to monitor its effect, and use some test pieces to make sure it's not damaging your models in a way you won't appreciate.

As for falling apart, you might not have a choice, depending on what you used to bond the parts together.

Think that will also work on those soft Reaper Bones minis?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »

Think that will also work on those soft Reaper Bones minis?

I don't see why not. As the plastic is made from a polymer, it will be resistant to most chemicals. From the unofficial FAQ for Bones miniatures, on Reaper's forums:
    What Works as a Paint Stripper
    Soak figure in Simple Green Concentrated All Purpose Cleaner for 12 – 24 hours, then scrub it with an old toothbrush.

Can you remove unwanted paint from a Bones figure?
    Sometimes painting a figure doesn’t go exactly as planned. If you would like to strip the paint from a Bones figure so you can start from scratch to paint it another way, just drop it into a dish of Simple Green Concentrated All Purpose Cleaner for 12 – 24 hours, then scrub it with an old toothbrush and it is ready to paint again. Some paint colours may leave a stain on the Bones material, but should not leave any texture or affect subsequent layers of paint. Simple Green in an eco-friendly cleaner sold in most hardware stores and some grocery stores. Brake fluid also works, though is a much more toxic material.

I've got a bunch of half-painted test Bones figures right now, and a couple bottles of Simple Green. I'll throw it all in a tub tonight to demonstrate.

Nips on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I wish there were more decals available for different Forgeworlds.

Right now its only Mars, Metallica and Ryza. Mars colour theme is just really ubiquitous, Metallica is probably a pain in the ass to paint for all the infantry and Ryza, I don't know, it's interesting but I'm not sure it looks good. Maybe I have to do a test with black armour plates instead of silver for more contrast with the ochre robes. What colour provides a nice ochre anyway?

Check out Fallout Hobbies. They can even make custom ones if you provide the designs. My friends have had very good luck with them.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Been working on some Ethiopian terrain

False bannana plantation:

b5dsebcrfvms.jpg

Bundles of Eucalyptus logs:

tkd9efl1ac6i.jpg

Thorn bush barricades (still experimenting with these):

rtthsxohqex9.jpg

Woven fencing from Rendera

d7i2znpe7l1q.jpg

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Trying to make some 1' square foam bases to make fancy terrain and then shuffle around for different set ups.
    I'd like to end up with a "dry cracked clay" look in some places...how do?

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    For larger areas GW's technical paint might be a bit expensive. Do you have an art shop available that has crackle medium?

honovere on
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    I think Amazon is my art store...

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    so, several pages back I mentioned I was going to try and convert up a mk1 terminator. I eventually found what I reckoned would be a decent base in this guy:

41ex3NiFUvL.jpg

I was going to pop some terminator lower legs and a power glove on him, flip the shoulders and build him up at the top and in a few other places with greenstuff. He has rather unexpectedly turned out be be made of lead though! What am I going to need to hew bits off him now (beyond incredible patience and a strong right arm)? Also is there anything I should bear in mind about using greenstuff or glue with lead minis? I haven't owned one in 20 years now :s

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's an old kit then, they're plastic now.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    manji wrote: »
    so, several pages back I mentioned I was going to try and convert up a mk1 terminator. I eventually found what I reckoned would be a decent base in this guy:

41ex3NiFUvL.jpg

I was going to pop some terminator lower legs and a power glove on him, flip the shoulders and build him up at the top and in a few other places with greenstuff. He has rather unexpectedly turned out be be made of lead though! What am I going to need to hew bits off him now (beyond incredible patience and a strong right arm)? Also is there anything I should bear in mind about using greenstuff or glue with lead minis? I haven't owned one in 20 years now :s

For cutting metal minis either a jeweler's saw or a power tool with cutting bits are very helpful.

Green stuff doesn't care much about the material of the miniature.

For glueing metal parts either with each other or with other materials you need superglue (cyanacrylate) and I also recommend superglue activator.

For glueing plastic parts to each other you can use either superglue or plastic glue. the latter will provide a stronger bond as it actually melts the pieces together.
    If you want the ability to take parts of again later (for example rebasing a plastic miniature) use superglue because parts glued together with plastic glue will probably rip apart somewhere else before the adhesive point comes apart.

honovere on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Echo wrote: »

damn you ebay!

also, @Woozl, those Night Lords look great. I've posted my efforts before, those are leagues better. I particularly like the flesh tone you used. Full space-vampire!

manji on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Slow going, but the end is in sight.

agcu7yj61l5b.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    manji wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

damn you ebay!

also, @Woozl, those Night Lords look great. I've posted my efforts before, those are leagues better. I particularly like the flesh tone you used. Full space-vampire!

thanks! Eshin gray as a base, reikland flesh wash, and then layer with eshin gray mixed with increasing amounts of pallid wych flesh until satisfied.

• Options
    @manji I would seriously NOT recommend using a metal mini for conversions of such scale.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    @manji I would seriously NOT recommend using a metal mini for conversions of such scale.

i'm considering my options with him. it'd sting a bit to have to buy another one in plastic, especially since they only come seem to come packs of five now. i may end up just using the head and torso and fitting full plastic legs and arms, then scratch make the shoulders. sawing bits off him is a wholly unappealing prospect.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Greenstuff mixes with super glue to form a cement. I've never had issues with pieces sticking since I started doing that. I've never pinned a model in my life.

As for cutting metal. Yep, get sawing.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Some WIPs. First up, and Ork who is essentially done. I just need to finish up the flesh (and finernails), highlight his left shoulderpad, and paint & glue on his breastplate:
    txGejeel.jpg

And I have also decided that the remaining Sigmarines from the AoS starter will be Celestial Vindicators:
    WYPlj71l.jpg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Must be the angle but that Orc has boobs.

• Options
    It's poster tack stuffed into the contact points for his breastplate so I could airbrush but still use plastic cement. It is not Ork nipples.

I am sorry if it reduces wankability.

• Options
    Or increases it?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Keep the tits.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I was wondering why they started sculpting orks with mouth nipples. More orifices to shout WAAGH from?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
This discussion has been closed.