Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Just finished Keeper of the Lake on my trek to HW and that final boss is really fun, Probably the best dungeon boss I've fought so far.

Edit: Also, I had felt like the story had slowed down a lot in the post 2.0 content but that cutscene after the fight and the followup in Mor Dhova sucked me right back in.

Carpy on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Officially on a paid sub now and own Heavensward.

Game has got me by the balls for the foreseeable future. Lets see how long it lasts.

Yeah, I'm probably a week or so away from getting the expansion myself. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by all the stuff I can do in the foreseeable future. Like raising chocobos and racing them =D

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Officially on a paid sub now and own Heavensward.

Game has got me by the balls for the foreseeable future. Lets see how long it lasts.

That's what I like to see. I needs those gold feathers :P

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    The expack has been a ton of fun so far and we'll be happy to have and help anyone that joins us on Sarg.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got linked this handy guide for currents. I look at the level requirements instead of the story quest names to help determine how close I am.

Thanks to that as well as a successful first run in Stone Vigil....

DsledDw.jpg

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

i7qDH5u.jpg

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

lfHvfLJ.jpg

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

It's everything I had hoped for. :+1:

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm officially not a fan of the market. The fact that there's no commodity exchange where I can buy, say, 3 elm logs at my leisure is a huge miss. The only listings were for stacks of 99 at 14,000 gil, which means my only real choice was to grind botanist up to 10 so I could get my own. All that for one damn iron spear. :(

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I'm officially not a fan of the market. The fact that there's no commodity exchange where I can buy, say, 3 elm logs at my leisure is a huge miss. The only listings were for stacks of 99 at 14,000 gil, which means my only real choice was to grind botanist up to 10 so I could get my own. All that for one damn iron spear. :(

The markets are currently in a great amount of upheaval due to the expack and a lot of stuff is overpriced at present. I would recommend getting someone in GHOST FC (assuming you are in it) to help you out with harvesting mats/making you leveling gear.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Nah, the only server that was allowing new characters when my wife started was Diabolos, so that's where we are at the moment. We'll likely transfer once the populations cool down a bit.

• Options
    As far as I could tell it lets you right in if you server transfer. That's what I did.

• Options
    Yeah if you pay to transfer you get in immediately.

• Options
    zelmVU9.png

tdETYEA.png

Astrologian 50 get. 10 more to go!

488W936.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Man, glamours are cool.

NYiwSPF.jpg

Edit: Not me, just found it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Nice!

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    the whole thing with yugiri is funny as an au ra

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Hi. I tried. While great, games not my jam for whatever reason.

I do however have a gift. Base game key i received as part of a free bundle.

pm me and its yours first come first servered

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Astrologian Day 3:

Unlocked Spread, ran a few dungeons, finally starting to remember cards on sight and having good instinct with what to do with them. Pretty basic use of Spread at this point, storing Spears so I can combo with my existing cooldowns (they really need to change this to affect current cooldowns as well). When I want to Royal Road what is still a mystery to me, but I don't feel like I'm fumbling cards anymore and am actually enjoying the mechanic.

Currently level 41, the Astrologian quests continue to be the worst I've experienced in the game (so boring, story wise).

Somewhat related, it's a little irritating that SE didn't add Hunting Logs for the new jobs. It would have been nice to do in between class quests/dungeon runs to break things up and get some XP boost. It's a little telling that SE wasn't quite sure how to handle classless jobs overall that they're just listed on your character profile page as "Extra Jobs."

Separately, how did they not add any Grand Company ranks with the expansion? It feels like a no brainer, and those 3 tiers have just been sitting disabled since day 1 :(

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Key is gone-

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I need to do Ravana EX! Nobody ever wants to do it in FC chat, though. It totally sucks :<

Arugh, can't wait to hit 60. I need me some bug weapons and some whale weapons!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So I had a humiliating experience last night.

I was leveling Arcanist. I queued up for Copperbell Mines and everything was going great. Then we got to the boss where you have to detonate the bombs on the slimes. I was targeting the Spriggans as they spawned to keep them from killing the bombs. Little did I know, however, that my pet had a mind of its own and it kept attacking the bombs as soon as they spawned. I did not realize this though. Not at first.

The bombs kept dying, and I thought to myself "some idiot is killing the bombs. At least I'm doing it correctly and I'm killing the Spriggans."

Then I realized the idiot was me.

Why was Carbuncle attacking the bombs, when I wasn't targeting them? I never casted on them or anything, so I'm not sure why he was targeting them with his spells. That's why I did not immediately realize that I was the problem. Since my dude was doing the right thing, I assumed my Carbuncle was also doing the right thing.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I was leveling Arcanist. I queued up for Copperbell Mines and everything was going great. Then we got to the boss where you have to detonate the bombs on the slimes. I was targeting the Spriggans as they spawned to keep them from killing the bombs. Little did I know, however, that my pet had a mind of its own and it kept attacking the bombs as soon as they spawned. I did not realize this though. Not at first.

The bombs kept dying, and I thought to myself "some idiot is killing the bombs. At least I'm doing it correctly and I'm killing the Spriggans."

Why was Carbuncle attacking the bombs, when I wasn't targeting them? I never casted on them or anything, so I'm not sure why he was targeting them with his spells. That's why I did not immediately realize that I was the problem. Since my dude was doing the right thing, I assumed my Carbuncle was also doing the right thing.

It's because you didn't have Carbi on obey, you had him on sic which is the default setting when any pet is summoned. Along the pet action bar, you should see various settings aside from your skills. Always have all of your pets on obey. They'll use their primary skill when you attack a target, but everything else needs to be selected by you.

This way they don't attack random enemies and don't waste their special skills, or in carbi's case, use the knockback to annoy the tank and melee.

It happens though, so don't worry about it. But always have your pets on obey.

Grove on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    double post.

Grove on
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Well, my push to get geared as a WHM is progressing quite well... about half a day and 3 night sessions and I'm around i167 with the i180 Law weapon, almost all of the LHS gear Law and I'm now pushing up ilvls. Lack of hunting is retarding the accumulation of the upgrade tokens but oh well. Can't expect too much when I'm spending most of my time running dungeons for law (averaging 400 per night over a 3 hour session) but I still knock out the 5 grade 3 marks. Maybe I'll have time to dink around with crafting/gathering or other jobs this weekend :3

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    If you do all three bills you can get 100 seals a day and sometimes the ranks have the same targets in a zone.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    If you do all three bills you can get 100 seals a day and sometimes the ranks have the same targets in a zone.

Are the HW area Hunts the same currency as the old stuff? Can I get the old minions that way?

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Nope. New seals for the HW stuff, although the old A and S rank mobs award both types of seals. The HW A and S ranks only award the new seals.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    http://www.ffxivhuntspath.co.uk/ This site is lovely for the three tiers of hunt marks, I can get them done in like 20 min now. And they're pretty OK exp for alts; even the much higher level marks in the last two zones I can manage with my chocobo and lots of kiting.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

It's because you didn't have Carbi on obey, you had him on sic which is the default setting when any pet is summoned. Along the pet action bar, you should see various settings aside from your skills. Always have all of your pets on obey. They'll use their primary skill when you attack a target, but everything else needs to be selected by you.

This way they don't attack random enemies and don't waste their special skills, or in carbi's case, use the knockback to annoy the tank and melee.

I will put him on obey tonight after work.

But I wasn't using Sic either. I was using the guard setting. Where he's supposed to only attack what I attack. And that's why I was confused when he was attacking the bombs on his own, because I never casted any spells on them. I was only casting on the Spriggans. So if Guard works like I assumed it worked, he would also have only been attacking the Spriggans.

• Options
    Grove wrote: »

I will put him on obey tonight after work.

But I wasn't using Sic either. I was using the guard setting. Where he's supposed to only attack what I attack. And that's why I was confused when he was attacking the bombs on his own, because I never casted any spells on them. I was only casting on the Spriggans. So if Guard works like I assumed it worked, he would also have only been attacking the Spriggans.

He will also defend you (unlike the chocobo), and the bomb probably aggroed on you when it spawned.

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Ravana EX fight is so cool! One thing I really liked (Delphi mentioned this last night while we were running it and I was thinking of the same thing) is that the theme is basically a waltz, and all of his moves and how you react to them really have this choreographed feeling to them. It really feels like the fight is a dance with him. The music and the fight sequence and the player responses to his moves all merge together into this waltz of violence and death and it is the coolest thing to experience. I really believe everything about this fight coming together like that was a conscious decision on the devs' part when designing it.

Also, the lyrics are pretty awesome and thematically appropriate. The lyrics' tldr is basically "I FUCKING LOVE FIGHTING!"

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »

110, actually: (5 * 3) + (5 * 4) + (5 * 15) = 15 + 20 + 75 = 110.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Found a nice guide for new players, since I know I'm not the only new one thought I'd post it here.

Oh boy looking at it, looks like I have a long journey ahead of me.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    http://www.ffxivhuntspath.co.uk/ This site is lovely for the three tiers of hunt marks, I can get them done in like 20 min now. And they're pretty OK exp for alts; even the much higher level marks in the last two zones I can manage with my chocobo and lots of kiting.

Since me and my girlfriend run our hunts together, we have a simple solution to the high level mobs in the last two zones:

* The person with the mark goes into the class to level.
    * The person without the mark switches to their level 60 class, and tanks/kills the marks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Advocate wrote: »
    Found a nice guide for new players, since I know I'm not the only new one thought I'd post it here.

Oh boy looking at it, looks like I have a long journey ahead of me.

Wait, I can do Beast Tribe dailies now? This game is TERRIBLE at letting me know when something's been unlocked.

• Options
    The "recommendations" tab is pretty handy for finding those starter quests.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    The "recommendations" tab is pretty handy for finding those starter quests.

I started ignoring it when it kept suggesting I do Level 12 quests at Level 30, and I know they weren't breadcrumb quests either. Is there a way I can focus down what it suggests to me, and not have it tied to the zone either?

• Options
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Since me and my girlfriend run our hunts together, we have a simple solution to the high level mobs in the last two zones:

* The person with the mark goes into the class to level.
    * The person without the mark switches to their level 60 class, and tanks/kills the marks.

I've been doing that for my husband (he went back male Lala, so no more wife jokes :rotate:) since the kiting method doesn't work so efficiently on a 51 Monk. :lol:

• Options
    And in totally unrelated news, I saw this description on reddit of the [one of the 60 dungeon's] bosses today that made me spit out my coffee:
    Hide and Seek Championship, Feng Shui Challenge and Dodge the Tornado's ludicrous hitbox.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Accurate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I need to do Ravana EX! Nobody ever wants to do it in FC chat, though. It totally sucks :<

Arugh, can't wait to hit 60. I need me some bug weapons and some whale weapons!

yea I'd say this is the biggest thing. The xpac has been out for... a very short time. Give people some time to actually get to that content :)

This discussion has been closed.