As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Astrologian Day 3:Currently level 41, the Astrologian quests continue to be the worst I've experienced in the game (so boring, story wise).

Somewhat related, it's a little irritating that SE didn't add Hunting Logs for the new jobs. It would have been nice to do in between class quests/dungeon runs to break things up and get some XP boost. It's a little telling that SE wasn't quite sure how to handle classless jobs overall that they're just listed on your character profile page as "Extra Jobs."

Yeah, I hit 43 on DRK last night and am having the same problem. I had actually saved the sidequests for Coerthas for that reason, but blowing through them netted me maybe 1.5 - 2 levels. FATEs are getting boring, as is low level roulette. These last 7 levels are going to be a grind.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You have Armory EXP bonus though.

Going to start doing my daily dungeon/hest when I get home so the Internet doesn't crap out on me, since those are two fairly big chunks of EXP to get me at least to 48-49 by the weekend.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    This game is such a love letter to the best moments of past Final Fantasies.

Within the past day I've seen (lv58+ spoilers):
    • Matoya's Cave from FF
    • Floating Continent with Warring Triad from FFVI
    • Byblos from FFT

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Check to see if you have the guildhest bonuses. They were there for my DRK. Battle leves and Grand Company Leves can be a nice break. And you can move around the world if one area is getting boring and do the levequests there. Dungeons of course are good xp as well.

You could also do Beasttribe dailies at 46 for further break up of monotony.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Where do you go to do Beast Tribe dailies? I've apparently unlocked the Kobold ones.

Madican on
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Where do you go to do Beast Tribe dailies? I've apparently unlocked the Kobold ones.

Yeah, this is a good question. I unlocked the Amal'jaa ones a while ago with a GC quest, but I'm not sure how to get the others.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Yeah, this is a good question. I unlocked the Amal'jaa ones a while ago with a GC quest, but I'm not sure how to get the others.

Each chain will start with a quest from the GC (you'll know you're on the right quest by looking at the top of the quest window - the tribe unlock quests will have the tribe's sigil there.) This quest will introduce you to the friendly faction, from whom you will get your dailies.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Does the armory bonus apply to fate xp or dungeon boss xp (which is a major portion of dungeon xp)? My second class doesn't feel like it's leveling up any faster than my first time through.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content This will give you the starting quests for the beast tribes, it looks like they're all low 40's. After unlocking, you'd just go to each tribes quest area SThan, East Shroud, West La Noscea or Outer LN. (Ixal are crafting related)

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Olorin wrote: »
    Does the armory bonus apply to fate xp or dungeon boss xp (which is a major portion of dungeon xp)? My second class doesn't feel like it's leveling up any faster than my first time through.

I believe so. Fate XP was WAY bigger on DRK. like 2x bigger I believe. The chimera in Bluefog was giving 60k XP. The last part of BB in Bluefog was giving me 53k when the whole series gave me about 50k before.

It was some of the most stupidly fast leveling ever. It was almost too fast. That xp was straight up dumb.

EDIT: Just make sure you actually join a group for fates. Don't just follow the mobs of people. If you don't join a group you are giving up like 50% of the XP you could be getting.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah correction low 40s for the beastmen. For some reason I thought you had to be 46. Sorry.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

iirc, it should be every single source of earned xp. (Or at least any source of xp that also benefits from the rested xp bonus.)

I know it works on kill xp. I've not payed enough attention to see if it does apply to quest xp, dungeon clear/boss kill xp, or daily roulette xp.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Oh yeah correction low 40s for the beastmen. For some reason I thought you had to be 46. Sorry.

It's tiered. The first three quests, the ones that give the lowest rep, are low 40's, the next dailies after you rank up are higher.

41/44/48 http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Kobold_Quest
    42/45/48 http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Sylph_Quest
    43/46/48 http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Amalj'aa_Quest
    44/46/48 http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Sahagin_Quest

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular

I believe so. Fate XP was WAY bigger on DRK. like 2x bigger I believe. The chimera in Bluefog was giving 60k XP. The last part of BB in Bluefog was giving me 53k when the whole series gave me about 50k before.

It was some of the most stupidly fast leveling ever. It was almost too fast. That xp was straight up dumb.

EDIT: Just make sure you actually join a group for fates. Don't just follow the mobs of people. If you don't join a group you are giving up like 50% of the XP you could be getting.

I had no idea I got reduced EXP by not being in a FATE group. Thanks!

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »

You mostly just lose out on kill xp, I believe. I tend to only fate grind while in the dungeon queue, so my hands are kind of tied. Oh well.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

You don't get reduced XP. It's just that in fate groups the amount of mobs that spawn end up giving absurd amounts of XP. And if you aren't in a group you aren't going to be getting anywhere near the same amount of tags.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    60 MINER GET!

now, to get equipment that isn't awful.

edit: only 57 WAR, whoops.

Lucedes on
  • Options

You don't get reduced XP. It's just that in fate groups the amount of mobs that spawn end up giving absurd amounts of XP. And if you aren't in a group you aren't going to be getting anywhere near the same amount of tags.

Especially when they start chaining. A good chain while in a party reaps more EXP than the FATE itself is worth.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Dear person: I don't care how good you think you are and how you totally know how to play a dark knight better, if a run is going absolutely perfect and yet you can't shut the hell up about how to use a toggle ability even after said tank stops responding to you for over three minutes, you are wrong. About everything.

First time I've ever dropped out of a 'great' run and not felt in the least bit guilty. Jesus christ.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    My one tiny wishlist item for Paladin: when shield oath is ip, clemency works as is. When sword oath is up, it becomes a deal damage to mob skill.

• Options

Each chain will start with a quest from the GC (you'll know you're on the right quest by looking at the top of the quest window - the tribe unlock quests will have the tribe's sigil there.) This quest will introduce you to the friendly faction, from whom you will get your dailies.

So, why hasn't my GC given me any other beast tribe quests, then?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Go to your GC and accept the quests there, they lead to beast tribe dailies.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

They're regionally based, each city's GC starts their respective quest chains: Ul'dah for the Amal'jaa, Gridania for the Sylphs and Ixal, and LL for Kobolds and Sahagin.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Does it require having rank with that GC? I'm max on Flames and Serpents, but I haven't even started... Viking Boats (?).

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does it require having rank with that GC? I'm max on Flames and Serpents, but I haven't even started... Viking Boats (?).

Nope. The reason the quests start at specific locations is because the tribes are themselves regional.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Especially when they start chaining. A good chain while in a party reaps more EXP than the FATE itself is worth.

The day before the servers went down for the XPAC launch I had to grind from 47 to 50 on my NIN. Joined a FATE Train in North Thanalan and I could literally sit and watch my XP bar fill up.

It was glorious.

Also, it took me little over an hour to get to 50 from 47. :biggrin:

Now that I think on it, it'd probably be even faster now. Geez.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Did they do something to speed up leveling ? Three hours into the game and I'm already at Level 14, which is much faster than I remember progressing one year ago. I am in the Forest zone where the quest zones are closer together; I recall doing A LOT of jogging around Lhamsa, so maybe that made it feel slower ?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Esh wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    thanks fer the info

Sorry your FC has issues clearing things. : ( If you really want to better your FC as a whole, letting the knowledge trickle down from the top is important. If you're happy being social, more power to you though.
    You don't have to be nice to the guild of this community, but if whatever beef you have with them causes you to post here like a total dickhead then I can fix that problem for you.

EDIT: The reverse applies to guild members being dicks to non-members, of course.

This was just in response to their sarcastic comments. Sorry, I won't respond to their gooseness anymore and I'll curb mine.
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    thanks fer the info

Sorry your FC has issues clearing things. : ( If you really want to better your FC as a whole, letting the knowledge trickle down from the top is important. If you're happy being social, more power to you though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKhxjfG03A

Uhm, last time I checked, out of your 500 or so members, the tiniest fraction was clearing things at pre-Echo difficulty. Mainly because the "upper echelon" stays in linkshells and the only contributions made to the betterment of the guild are carries when the content is around a year old and the current iLvL makes the difficulty laughable. So, yeah. Bigger doesn't mean better by any means, which is an idea that some people seem to fervently cling to.

Esh on
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Did they do something to speed up leveling ? Three hours into the game and I'm already at Level 14, which is much faster than I remember progressing one year ago. I am in the Forest zone where the quest zones are closer together; I recall doing A LOT of jogging around Lhamsa, so maybe that made it feel slower ?

All sub-50 classes have a +100% Armory bonus now.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2015
    @Esh if you think someone is trolling you or being dick then report it instead of trying outsnark them.

Which is what you did in the same goddamn post. Next I'm going to start issuing infractions to people who can't learn to keep this shit out of the thread.

And @Corehealer's post is also shitty. Knock it off, all of you.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    @Esh if you think someone is trolling you or being dick then report it instead of trying outsnark them.

Which is what you did in the same goddamn post. Next I'm going to start issuing infractions to people who can't learn to keep this shit out of the thread.

And @Corehealer's post is also shitty. Knock it off, all of you.

Heard.

Esh on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »

They're regionally based, each city's GC starts their respective quest chains: Ul'dah for the Amal'jaa, Gridania for the Sylphs and Ixal, and LL for Kobolds and Sahagin.

Ah, cool. I kept going to Ul'dah because I figured they'd just shuttle me off to the right location at the behest of the other companies. The curse of being a multinational errand boy.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I just started playing after a few years. Could I get a guild invite from someone? My character's name is P'sazhi Tia.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular

What exactly is an armory bonus?

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I can't stomach the beast tribe quests.

I did the ones for the birdmen, because that's actually a really good way to level crafting without eating up gobs of gil.

But the others give pitiful amounts and are basically annoying busywork.

The daily limit is just the shit icing on the sewage cake. I really don't want to have to "oh I forgot to do my annoying tribe dailies today", I'd rather just put on some nightcore and grind it until it's done. As a daily that requires me to go tromping off into the wilderness to do something I hate........no.

• Options
    I've done WoW dailies. I did WoW dailies from TBC onwards.

There is nothing FFXIV can throw at me with the Beast Tribe quests that will be worse than some of the Argent Tournament bullshit.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I didn't mind the Beast tribes, even though everything you said is true, because it was good way to eat up time while sitting in roulette queues.

I disliked the daily limit though, especially the Sylphs. Ugh, that zone.

I enjoyed Sahagin and the bomb dudes quite a bit.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    I would have *much* preferred it if they had a daily to do associated dungeons/trials instead.

Like Titan fights for kobolds, Satasha/Levi for fishpeople, ect ect

• Options

What exactly is an armory bonus?

Any class that is lower than the highest class you have leveled receives a bonus to XP. Currently, the bonus is +100% to 50, +50% 51-60.

This discussion has been closed.