As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nurturing [chat]'s destructive side

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Work story:
    My employer sells motor trade insurance to a lot of little car wash places

Usually it's not very expensive, these are places that are usually a few people picking up work from taxi firms or used car dealerships

So today we got a claim for the damage caused when someone working for them reversed a brand new, £155,000 car into another brand new, £255,000 car, both of which belonged to the same dealership and had been entrusted to this car wash place for pre-delivery valet

At least he'll have a decent "what I got fired for" story

japan on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "Well-done" should always just mean "medium but I left it on for a few more seconds"

If there is no red colour left in the steak at all, you have ruined it

You can't just toss a steak onto a grill at the same temperature you'd cook a medium steak and cook it well.

You can definitely cook a well done steak and not have it be a charcoal, or leather, too.

It's not something a chef that wants to get food out quickly in a restaurant wants to do though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "We"

You don't even speak French, Cinders

Maudit anglais

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    reposting for the sake of all
    https://instagram.com/puppystagrams/

dick kong done well finding this

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I talked to a few German engineers about the burger/steak cooking situation. One was v salty about it and says he only buys steaks and ground beef to cook at home where they won't be ruined. Another recounted a trip to the U.S. where he tried to order a steak well done and the chef came out and told him that he could not in good conscience ruin a $40 steak that way and would be cooking it medium. The engineer was too stunned to argue and only ate around the edges because it got "too pink" towards the center.

Chefs that can't cook a well done steak well don't deserve the jacket. Forget souffles, "no pink and not dry" needs to be the new metric.

ewww

well done steak

A generation of chefs who think "to cook this steak well done I'll just put it on the same grill at the same temperature I put a steak going to medium on but for much longer."

I am certain you are right that a steak can be cooked well done without totally ruining it and it probably requires more skill. However, no matter how expertly cooked, it's never going to be as delicious as a properly cooked rare steak.

To you, sure. I don't like the texture or the flavor of the middle of a rare steak.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I talked to a few German engineers about the burger/steak cooking situation. One was v salty about it and says he only buys steaks and ground beef to cook at home where they won't be ruined. Another recounted a trip to the U.S. where he tried to order a steak well done and the chef came out and told him that he could not in good conscience ruin a $40 steak that way and would be cooking it medium. The engineer was too stunned to argue and only ate around the edges because it got "too pink" towards the center.

Chefs that can't cook a well done steak well don't deserve the jacket. Forget souffles, "no pink and not dry" needs to be the new metric.

ewww

well done steak

A generation of chefs who think "to cook this steak well done I'll just put it on the same grill at the same temperature I put a steak going to medium on but for much longer."

I am certain you are right that a steak can be cooked well done without totally ruining it and it probably requires more skill. However, no matter how expertly cooked, it's never going to be as delicious as a properly cooked rare steak.

To you, sure. I don't like the texture or the flavor of the middle of a rare steak.

GET

OUT

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    steak is awful lets not kid ourselves

god gave us the one true way to treat beef and let me give u a hint it involves CHEESE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ground beef on the other hand I don't want pink in it especially when eating out

that shit is toxic

For me it's a level of trust with the restaurant. Baseline is medium. If they take a cooking suggestion, medium is the default for burgers. If the place is nice and I've eaten there before, I'll go medium rare. If it's an institution and I know for a fact they're grinding up the beef fresh back there, I'll go rare. When you can go rare, it's transcendent. Like tartare and cheese and char flavor had a baby.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    if you order seeds, do they serve pollen

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    the best way to cook steak is to microwave it with ketchup and barbecue sauce

Vanguard on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    "We"

Maudit anglais

J'accuse!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

ewww

well done steak

If you don't want to come to your senses naked and drenched in the blood of the steaming, ruined cow you tore open with your bare hands to devour its choicest meats, then I don't even know what to say to you

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    6dwQabnh.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    the location of the flag reverses when its shot
    0/10 would not watch
    Hollow outer cylinder with the flag attached to an inner pipe, when fired, the force pushes the flag back but the outer cylinder stays in place.

God, Batman would've spotted that in seconds.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

ewww

well done steak

GET

OUT

Steak 'cism

Steak-ism...

Steak-umms.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I want it recorded for posterity that I only post in this usurper chat under duress.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    scheck what is your opinion of chicken nuggs?

• Options
    kaleedity wrote: »

They bring a bee and a flower out and a guy in a beret and scarf laughs Frenchily as the bee enters the flower.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Yeah for burger places I go medium. My gastrointestinal system is not doing a leap of faith into some beef shack's ground meat from who knows where.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Scheck have you ever considered taking a medium rare steak and putting it through a grinder and onto a bun with some ooey gooey cheese.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I will never forgive you guys for abandoning fat puppy chat
    never forgive
    never forget
    Elsewhere wrote: »
    Jon Stewart has bought a farm in NJ to provide a sanctuary to abused farm animals for his retirement.

Yoshisummons on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    In the near future I intend to create quiche poutine.

Montreal will welcome me as a savior returned from a long journey.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    the location of the flag reverses when its shot
    0/10 would not watch
    Hollow outer cylinder with the flag attached to an inner pipe, when fired, the force pushes the flag back but the outer cylinder stays in place.

God, Batman would've spotted that in seconds.
    i'm not batman i'm a cat man common misconception

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    But what if...

and I'm just saiyan...

Burger-Steak.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    steak is awful lets not kid ourselves

god gave us the one true way to treat beef and let me give u a hint it involves CHEESE

The fuck you talkin? Heathen!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »

They bring a bee and a flower out and a guy in a beret and scarf laughs Frenchily as the bee enters the flower.

Renowned food critics have described this as a religious experience.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Dumping a quiche over a pile of fries?

Or, lining the tart pan with fries instead of a crust?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Ground beef on the other hand I don't want pink in it especially when eating out

that shit is toxic

Potentially, ground beef is worse for you than rare chicken.

Assuming it isn't ground from fresh beef right in front of you.

Even then, you're mixing the surface bacteria on the steak within the rest of the meat.

Which is why you still sear a steak when you get it rare, to kill that surface bacteria.

I will let you get away with a medium well, but anything else is asking for a night of the shits.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

they own like fk

also chiken tenders

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Dumping a quiche over a pile of fries?

Or, lining the tart pan with fries instead of a crust?

It will be a quiche with poutine components.

Like quiche Lorraine contains chopped up pieces of Lorraine.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    6dwQabnh.jpg

No ones denying that burgers are tasty delicious but proclaiming another beef product is inedible just because burgers are delicious is pretty fuckin stupid as fuk IMO.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Actually, you sear a steak because crust is delicious.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

they own like fk

also chiken tenders

I was at McDonalds yesterday and decided to get Nuggs instead of burg.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I don't think I can make it through work today

Blah

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    "We"

Maudit anglais

Moi pour elle is nearly all the French I know.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Then you get into the arguments that cooking a steak low and slow ruins the steak too, arguing with foodies is frustrating in general.

It's like having a vegan at your table that agreed to go to the steakhouse and then complains non stop.

Oh you're having soda with your steak? For shame.

Those are the kind of people I will order a well done steak and slop ketchup on it in front of out of spite.

bowen on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I hate getting asked how I want my burger cooked. It's a fucking burger, I want it cooked correctly.

Same deal for lamb. If I get asked that I usually change my choice.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Actually, you sear a steak because crust is delicious.

Well yes, this too.

The other is still important though to ward off food borne illness.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My experience with burgers near me is they'll always under cook it one step

well done means barely cooked for some of them. Medium Rare is fucking purple

This discussion has been closed.