As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Tiny House Life in Lockdown 🔒 25:19
    https://youtu.be/oJrrfcRdXCg
    How are people who live in tiny houses dealing with self-isolation?! In this video, we reached out to people who we have featured on the show in the past to catch up and see how they are coping with life in lockdown in their tiny homes.

With countries closing their borders and many international flights cancelled, Rasa and I cut our Australia trip short to return to New Zealand. As with all international travellers, we were placed in self-isolation upon returning home.

We have now been in self-isolation for the past two weeks and since returning home, New Zealand (along with many other countries around the world) has gone into total lockdown. The lockdown means that all non-essential businesses are closed and everyone is asked to stay at home and practice social distancing.

Self Isolation is something that we all need to take really seriously. Covid-19 threatens many lives across the globe and it's important that we are all thinking of each other, and keeping ourselves, our loved ones and our communities safe.

We hope to bring you as much great content as possible to do our part and help to keep you entertained and bursting with tiny house ideas while we are all in lockdown / isolation.

I hope you enjoy this episode and insight into life in lockdown for the tiny house people of the world!

edit:
    Amazing FOLDING Tiny House Built with Reclaimed Materials - Full Tour8:28
    https://youtu.be/A2i8URcy6Ww

Today we’re taking a tour of this really unique 15 foot long tiny house with wings! The wings are actually two swinging bump-outs that can be opened when the tiny house is parked, and they widen the home from 8.5 feet to 12 feet wide, so it becomes almost square. It’s built with nearly 100% recycled and reclaimed materials, and the beautiful woodwork – including custom doors and windows – was all lovingly handcrafted by Nick and his friend Jay on Salt Spring Island in BC.

You can get in touch with Nick on Instagram if you'd like to find out more about this DIY folding tiny house build (which is currently for sale) and future projects he's going to be working on: https://www.instagram.com/k.knack/

Peas on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't think these photos are of the same structure, sadly, but they are both awesome

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    SLCSLC Registered User new member
    Based on the top post, the cabins look great. You can have these delivered in kit form to your door

• Options
    Compact Tiny House Designed To Travel New Zealand 12:52
    https://youtu.be/bofjfLe0cbk
    This intrepid family sold up their home and began a life of adventure by building a tiny house on wheels which they use to travel New Zealand full time. CJ, Amy-Lee loved to travel but realised they hadn’t seen a lot of their own country. A tiny house on wheels was the perfect way to travel, while keeping a solid place to call home for the family.

Tiny house travel in New Zealand can be a bit of a challenge, as the roads can be quite small and difficult for larger vehicles to navigate. This tiny house has been constructed to be ultra compact, allowing it to easily move on New Zealand roads and allowing CJ and Amy-Lee the ability to travel to some really spectacular and out-of-the-way places!

Clever small space design ideas have been incorporated to ensure that this tiny house is not just practical for travel, but also is a fully functional home for the family of three. The home is off-the-grid and completely self contained allowing the family to be comfortable wherever they park up!

In this video, we also talk about how CJ and Amy-Lee's work in online businesses enables them to fund their travels while living as digital nomads.

Enjoy the full tour of this very clever and very compact tinny house on wheels. To follow the families adventures, you can find them on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tinytravelsnz/

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So they built their own trailer?

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Living on a Self-Sufficient Sailboat for 10 Years + FULL TOUR 28:17
    https://youtu.be/lk83N2u1ZmY
    Brian and Karin Trautman have been living on a sailboat for 10 years, and their boat is set up so they can be off the grid in remote places for months at a time with solar and wind power providing electricity, a water maker that turns salt water into fresh water, multiple freezers and loads of storage space for food, and even a small washing machine on board!

They've sailed SV Delos – a 53' sloop rig ketch – 83,000 nautical miles which is the equivalent of circling the earth at the equator more than 3 times. Their latest adventures include sailing as a family with their 6-month baby, Sierra, and outfitting the boat with a heater so they can explore the Arctic this summer after several years in the Tropics.

Peas on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I’ve stood underneath one of those boat-mounted wind turbines while it was generating.

It was deafening. I couldn’t hear a goddamn thing.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I would not have put money down on wind-generated electricity on a sailboat being a thing. Being a dumb person, I'd assume that the sails would propel the boat along at something close to the speed of the wind, and, like...turbines need wind moving past them to work, right?

Does it only work when the boat is anchored, or am I fundamentally misunderstanding how sailboats work?

Be kind, the closest I've ever lived to a coast was Abilene, Texas.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    A boat’s sail works in a way analogous to an airplane wing, just that it’s oriented vertically and “lifts” in the forward direction. While you’re under way, wind is definitely flowing past the boat unless you are pointed in the same direction as the wind.

Certain boat and sail designs are capable of propelling the boat faster than the speed of the wind. Yes, that’s weird. It works because a sail cares about the “apparent wind”, which is the sum of the true wind vector and the headwind velocity vector. Since the headwind increases as the boat goes faster, so does the apparent wind (with some change in angle). As long as the sail lift exceeds hull drag, you’ll continue to increase in speed. Most boats can’t do this, but crazy overengineered monsters like they sail for the America’s Cup will do it with ease.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Living on a Self-Sufficient Sailboat for 10 Years + FULL TOUR 28:17
    https://youtu.be/lk83N2u1ZmY
    Brian and Karin Trautman have been living on a sailboat for 10 years, and their boat is set up so they can be off the grid in remote places for months at a time with solar and wind power providing electricity, a water maker that turns salt water into fresh water, multiple freezers and loads of storage space for food, and even a small washing machine on board!

They've sailed SV Delos – a 53' sloop rig ketch – 83,000 nautical miles which is the equivalent of circling the earth at the equator more than 3 times. Their latest adventures include sailing as a family with their 6-month baby, Sierra, and outfitting the boat with a heater so they can explore the Arctic this summer after several years in the Tropics.

Honestly? Enticing right now.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    A boat’s sail works in a way analogous to an airplane wing, just that it’s oriented vertically and “lifts” in the forward direction. While you’re under way, wind is definitely flowing past the boat unless you are pointed in the same direction as the wind.

Certain boat and sail designs are capable of propelling the boat faster than the speed of the wind. Yes, that’s weird. It works because a sail cares about the “apparent wind”, which is the sum of the true wind vector and the headwind velocity vector. Since the headwind increases as the boat goes faster, so does the apparent wind (with some change in angle). As long as the sail lift exceeds hull drag, you’ll continue to increase in speed. Most boats can’t do this, but crazy overengineered monsters like they sail for the America’s Cup will do it with ease.

To be fair, the AC boats are much closer to straight up airplanes than boats. It's like those videos of f-35s doing things an airplane shouldn't be able to do because they have so much thrust at their disposal aerodynamics aren't as important to them.

It's not a great comparison to anything you will ever see or ride on.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

To be fair, the AC boats are much closer to straight up airplanes than boats. It's like those videos of f-35s doing things an airplane shouldn't be able to do because they have so much thrust at their disposal aerodynamics aren't as important to them.

It's not a great comparison to anything you will ever see or ride on.

Jedoc had asked a question about how the physics of sailing works. I brought up the AC boats because they're an interesting edge case of how that physics operates, not because he's likely to ride one. All boats gain lift through the same mechanism, the AC boats take that to the extreme by maximizing sail lift (articulated wing sails) and minimizing hull drag (foils).

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I hate that chair

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My first thought was "Why is Paul F. Tompkins building an art commune?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My first thought was "Why is Paul F. Tompkins building an art commune?"

no no you're thinking of David S. Pumpkins

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I have questions.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eh, doesn't feel like that efficient use of space IMO. If you're going to do swales/terracing at all, put the houses/living spaces on top of everything so they can gaze upon the fields. Also some weird separation between things that doesn't really lend to feeling like an integrated space since the houses and apts are completely blocked from seeing everything else. I'd also move around some of the studio/workspaces to be closer to the wood/metal shops vs. integrated.
    Also not a ton of industrial and grain storage that I can see, which would mean you're constantly moving that stuff over to the feedlots etc. Expand that perhaps swap some of the locations of wood/metal shops to over there and it gives you access to welders etc. to fix tractors and farm equipment. Your swimming hole is also right next to where major fertilizer production (animals) and runoff (gardens) is going to be. It's pretty, but definitely someone that hasn't worked with a lot of ecosystem-type stuff.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm curious as to where all that water is coming from. I don't see any obvious streams on that property and the two spots that could be natural streams aren't near where their proposed wet areas are.

Regardless, it's a cool idea for a different site!

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    2 and 5 are clearly part of a human transmutation circle and I'll have no part of that, sir.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    finally one of these charts that fucking matters

I am definitely Whimsical Mystical Gothic Celestial, for my sins

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Frasierbane.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Mall Deco 100%

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmm, Zen-X with a splash of Neon Brutalism probably. I feel so cliche

• Options
    I can hear Enya in my head when I look at Global Village Coffeehouse

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Half of that evokes memories of mall stores and the other half evokes memories of Myst and Encarta CD-ROMs

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Factory PoMo is, very specifically, the aesthetic of canadian tv cult classic ReBoot

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m in Memphis Jr? The fuck

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Neon Brutalism, projecting high intensity color lights over the inhumane surfaces to perfectly construct not a physical space but an illustration you would sooner see in a comic book than a home around people.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    HELL YEAH GARBAGE ASS RAIN FOREST CAFE DECORATIONS ARE MY JAM

OacNJuEh.jpg
    5joutrlh.jpg
    XSDD34oh.jpg
    TJrp7Kuh.jpg

LOOK INTO THE DEAD EYES OF THESE SIMULACURA AS YOU CONSUME YOUR JUNGLE PLATTER WITH FRIES, KNOWING THAT EACH BITE BRINGS THEM CLOSER TO DELICIOUS EXTINCTION

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    So I googled Frasurbane, and it turns out

Yeah

It's literally an aesthetic style named after the tv show Frasier and portmanteaued with Urbane

I think I might have to amend my answer

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    RichardBlakeRichardBlake Registered User new member
    All the designs shared by architects, landscapers, interior designers are really great. I have gone through whole post and have found it really very interesting.

• Options
    edited May 2020