Options

[Weightlifting] thread where everyone is cool to each other

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Also are you just feeling that or is someone seeing it? If you could video it we could take a peek to see if it's actually a problem.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Question for the lifting experts:

I started a trial membership at my local LA Fitness because the free fitness center at home is no longer cutting it. During a conversation with one of the agents/trainers on membership fees the guy claimed your body acclimates to a routine over time thus plateauing progress. In short, every three months you have to change up your workout (and the impression I got was a pretty significant change) every three months for progress to continue.

Is this claim sports science or fitness fiction?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Also are you just feeling that or is someone seeing it? If you could video it we could take a peek to see if it's actually a problem.

Definitely showing up in video as well, don't have one on hand, but will try grabbing one the next time I'm doing legs. Also, it seems to be a bigger problem when I'm moving lower weights - as soon as I cross 100+ kg's it becomes less noticeable.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Question for the lifting experts:

I started a trial membership at my local LA Fitness because the free fitness center at home is no longer cutting it. During a conversation with one of the agents/trainers on membership fees the guy claimed your body acclimates to a routine over time thus plateauing progress. In short, every three months you have to change up your workout (and the impression I got was a pretty significant change) every three months for progress to continue.

Is this claim sports science or fitness fiction?

BS. The body will acclimate to a certain weight/rep scheme, but as long as you're moving up in weight/reps you will still be progressing.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Your body will acclimatise to the particular weight being lifted, and over time it becomes necessary to improve in new ways such as increasing volume of work etc in order to keep progressing.

The idea that you have to change your program every x weeks (I've heard everywhere from 4 upwards) is designed to sell personal training programs.

• Options
    My favorite random thing in a commercial gym was a conversation with a trainer when I was going to LA Fitness who walked up to me when I was in the middle of benching; he asked me if I was happy with my current chest routine and I said yes, I'm getting stronger and everything is going fine. Undaunted, he rambled about muscle confusion and and switching things up for a minute or two while I said mmm hmm and didn't look at him and he eventually went away.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Well my muscles would have been confused by that non sequitur.

At this point I'm pretty much okay with how my routine is working-- every few weeks I deload, and am otherwise making pretty progress.
    If I'm ever in doubt about whether it makes sense, I throw it into the exertion vs. time graph I set up in excel.

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    Thanks guys, you more or less confirmed my suspicions.

Next question: what are the differences in results one should expect from heavy/low-rep vs. moderate/volume-rep routines? The biggest benefit of joining a gym at the moment besides access to more weight is I am saving time at the gym and have room to add to my routine. I am trying to determine what it is I want to add to my routine but I am inclined to keep my big six at heavy/low-rep.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    heavy/low makes you strong, moderate/high makes you huge, low/til-failure makes you wonder where you went wrong.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I always liked Rippetoe's chart.

356r3xn94ztl.png

You also aren't limited to only one type of rep range in a workout. I structure my workouts with doing the main lifts as a pure strength rep range (< 4 reps, multiple sets) but my assistance work is usually in higher rep ranges.

• Options
    Yup, like your bench is triples, your close grip is 6-8, and your dips are 10+ because fuck it bodyweight.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Next question: what are the differences in results one should expect from heavy/low-rep vs. moderate/volume-rep routines? The biggest benefit of joining a gym at the moment besides access to more weight is I am saving time at the gym and have room to add to my routine. I am trying to determine what it is I want to add to my routine but I am inclined to keep my big six at heavy/low-rep.

If you're worried about having the time to complete full workouts, you should look into Crossfit - they have a WOD program everyday that you do by checking into your box ("gymnasium") on Facebook, downloading an entirely random workout program to your phone that is designed for literally no-one, then attempting to destroy every ligament and joint in your body in the shortest time possible to win bragging rights on a whiteboard. And all it costs is WAY too much money per month.

• Options
    On a more serious note, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any weight training routine to take <1 hour.
    On my fastest days, I'm at just under 2 hours.

• Options
    Pretty sure that's dependent on how you train, I can get in and out in about an hour, sometimes less and sometimes a little more.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm doing 5/3/1 and even with 5x10 accessory set usually is pretty quick

poo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You can do a lot in an hour. With timed rests, you can get thirty sets worth of rest in at 2 minutes. The sets themselves take around thirty. For strength training you might need to rest more, for bodybuilding an hour is probably about right

• Options
    I'm going to time my warm-up, core lifts and accessory stuff tonight and get a breakdown.
    Maybe this is just on me and the ramp up that my balsa wood-joints demand.

• Options

If you're worried about having the time to complete full workouts, you should look into Crossfit - they have a WOD program everyday that you do by checking into your box ("gymnasium") on Facebook, downloading an entirely random workout program to your phone that is designed for literally no-one, then attempting to destroy every ligament and joint in your body in the shortest time possible to win bragging rights on a whiteboard. And all it costs is WAY too much money per month.

Obviously you are joking but I cannot possibly have less interest in Crossfit. I've reached a point where I'm saving time in the gym by going to LA Fitness because I'm not forced into doing splits or fighting over equipment with anyone else at my apartment complex fitness center.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Dynamic push/pull day

Started with squat stance deadlifts 4 sets of 6 with 140kg - would have done more, but felt a bit beat up in my legs and lower back.

Pull-ups 4 sets of 12

Bench press: 60kg x 15 100kg x 10 120x5 130x3 140x3 100x8

Superset of incline DB press and bent over DB press 4x10 with 34kg in each

Floor press 5 sets of 10 with 100kg

Seated lat pulldowns 3x10

Getting stronger in both bench and deadlift as I'm dialing my form in, it's just squats that continue to elude me. Almost no matter what I do, I have a tendency to rounding my lower back at the bottom both high and low bar. A wider stance alleviates it somewhat. Anybody got an idea to reduce it?

How deep are you going? Too deep can, for some lifters, pull the lumbar into flexion.

Just below parallel. I do have extremely poor ankle flexion due to surgery almost immobilizing the joint - I try to make up for this by having almost 4-5cm of elevation under my feet.

I went to see my physio about my lower back curling in my squat. He recommended a bunch of little exercises and stretches, but the main thing I should do is to hold onto something with my hands while sitting in a correct squat position for 10 - 30 seconds at a time. In doing this I should move around a bit to stretch and flex things that are holding me back from getting to this position in the normal squat.

It feels okay doing this, I'll try it out for a month to see if it helps.

If you can't cheat your way into the correct form, you'll probably be able to see or feel which joint or muscle is causing you problems.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Yup, like your bench is triples, your close grip is 6-8, and your dips are 10+ because fuck it bodyweight.

You need a dip belt

I read somewhere once you get to 3-4 sets of 10+ on dips, start adding weight and I wholeheartedly agree. If I haven't done dips in a long time, I spend a week or two getting back to form then bust out the belt and load up the weight for 5x5

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Just put your dong through the center of the plates and hang them off that way.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Just put your dong through the center of the plates and hang them off that way.

Jelqing and training at the same time. I like your style.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    dip belts are awesome.

bodyweight dips dont do crap for me anymore. need at least a 45lb plate on my dip belt to feel like im working for it.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    My rotator cuffs are garbage

I ruined them like 6 years ago probably by being dumb

poo
  • Options

You need a dip belt

I read somewhere once you get to 3-4 sets of 10+ on dips, start adding weight and I wholeheartedly agree. If I haven't done dips in a long time, I spend a week or two getting back to form then bust out the belt and load up the weight for 5x5

I've got a belt but if I'm throwing them in at the end of a day then it's bodyweight for days, just do them until you die. If I'm putting weight on them then I edit sets and reps cause duh don't be dumb.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular

As someone who has done Crossfit for a few years this is total BS and depends on the box you hit up. There are a lot of boxes who do this and others who have more structured 2-3 month cycles. One 3 days of the week it is a lift then a workout then on 2 days just a workout/gymnastic building. Where I go to we are in a Squat Cycle doing front or back squats building to weight and taking it for sets of 3-5 for about 5 sets or more with a Max day every 3 weeks. Afterwords a short little workout. Before this it was 2-3 months of Cleans and Snatches then a work out.

On the flip side I have been to the schitzo boxes before and those are great if you are trying to loose fat but not so much if you want to be strong. Even less so if you want to compete.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So, if you'll recall, I was debating between two dumbbell sets. I went with the cheaper one, because I figured 200lbs for <200 bucks with free shipping? Good deal!

Remember those USPS Priority Mail ads where they said "If it fits, it ships"? It fits!

Those poor bastard mailpeople.

Edit: Also, these appear to be "you get what you pay for". Distinctly not-fancy, but very heavy, which is just fine. Visible grinder marks on some plates, etc. Seems fine, but I can see how the paint might flake, etc. Tentative recommendation, as the only lifting I've done with them was "out of the visibly angry pile in front of my front door".

dporowski on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    So, if you'll recall, I was debating between two dumbbell sets. I went with the cheaper one, because I figured 200lbs for <200 bucks with free shipping? Good deal!

Remember those USPS Priority Mail ads where they said "If it fits, it ships"? It fits!

Edit: Also, these appear to be "you get what you pay for". Distinctly not-fancy, but very heavy, which is just fine. Visible grinder marks on some plates, etc. Seems fine, but I can see how the paint might flake, etc. Tentative recommendation, as the only lifting I've done with them was "out of the visibly angry pile in front of my front door".

if they start flaking just blast them clean and use engine block paint or bed liner and they will last forever.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hey I heard from a guy that you should cycle high, medium, and low rep lifts per week. Like 8 one week, 12 second week, then 15, repeat

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    15 minutes warmup (0 reps/15 min - dead time)
    18 minutes press (13 reps/18; 5 sets, 3.6 min / set )
    23 minutes jerks (9 reps/23 min; 6 sets, 3.8 min / set)
    31 minutes front squat (9 reps / 31 min; 6 sets, 5.1 min/set)
    8 minutes core (waste of my life/8 min, I will never get this time back from chinese planks)
    1:35 clock time

The above includes set-up/tear-down time for excercises, which drove jerks and squats pretty high up. That said, I can't not clean up after myself.
    I dunno. I think maybe the trick is to do try and stack clean up to the very end?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »

if they start flaking just blast them clean and use engine block paint or bed liner and they will last forever.

That's what I was thinking. Even think one of my friends has a sandblaster; definitely has a wire wheel.

Now my only complaint is the handles are too skinny (1") for my giant ape hands, so I ordered some widener sleeve thingies. Not-actually-fat-gripz, because I wanted more like 1.75-2", not 2.5-3.

• Options
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    15 minutes warmup (0 reps/15 min - dead time)
    18 minutes press (13 reps/18; 5 sets, 3.6 min / set )
    23 minutes jerks (9 reps/23 min; 6 sets, 3.8 min / set)
    31 minutes front squat (9 reps / 31 min; 6 sets, 5.1 min/set)
    8 minutes core (waste of my life/8 min, I will never get this time back from chinese planks)
    1:35 clock time

The above includes set-up/tear-down time for excercises, which drove jerks and squats pretty high up. That said, I can't not clean up after myself.
    I dunno. I think maybe the trick is to do try and stack clean up to the very end?

Yup, it's that 15 minutes at the beginning and your time between sets, it's higher than mine. I'm waiting maybe a minute between sets, sometimes two when things are heavy.

• Options
    You guys see a significant benefit to trying to do dumbbell floor presses bilateral vs unilateral? My shoulders don't like bench range of motion, so floor suits them, but getting set up with the weight 1h feels way the hell safer than trying to get both arms set up at once. I could see it on bench just for the "not falling off it" aspect, but I haven't fallen off a floor in years, not since I gave up tequila.

I'm leaving aside all the "omg core functional stability blah blah" the internets give you, mind, and it seems to be a split decision after that. Seems to me I'm putting the heavy thing up either way, just one way takes longer. I got time, may as well stay safe.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I've been doing Farmer's Walks for the past couple weekends... gym dumbbells only go up to 120. Handles are 31-32mm in diameter by my estimation.

How much easier are actual Farmer's Walk handles for gripping? I'd like to take BW in each hand for a ride, at least.

• Options
    Harder. With the added length you're fighting against the momentum to keep the handles level and not swaying forward and backward.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Harder. With the added length you're fighting against the momentum to keep the handles level and not swaying forward and backward.

Welp, that's discouraging. What about ease of grip?

• Options
    This is borderline blasphemous, but goddamn I hate training arms

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Fuck training arms, I'd rather train my butt than train arms.

• Options
    Fuck training arms, I'd rather train my butt than train arms.

Arms is essentially the butt of the upper body.
    my face is the butt of my upper body

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.