Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Oh that was just the app I was using to input weights

poo
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »
    Harder. With the added length you're fighting against the momentum to keep the handles level and not swaying forward and backward.

Welp, that's discouraging. What about ease of grip?

That's kind of the point

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Both styles of good mornings and some Glute-Ham raises to finish it off. As long as I don't sit down, I'll be ok.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Methuselah maybe you could split the difference and try walking with a trap bar?

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    @Methuselah maybe you could split the difference and try walking with a trap bar?

Yeah that's fun I've loaded that 400+ but I ran into a couple weight racks and realized I was a menace to the other gym members.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    think im gonna switch from my bro split (M/Tu/Wed/Th/F)

chest/legs/rest/back/shoulders

to:

push/pull/legs/push/pull

with sat/sun as rest. Legs unfortunately only once a week, because crappy gym, and i really need to focus on my upper, as i can still barely do 2 reps of my body weight bench.

Anyone got a good P/P/L routine they recommend?

Like, should i try for dynamic/high rep early in the week and then heavy/low rep later in the week? Or keep rep ranges around the same all the way around?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Something like this?
    It's a random Mike Ruggeria program from a book I have, the Metroflex Powerbuilding book which is aces for random programs like this (The numbers are reps then sets)
    Monday

Bench Press 5-7 3

Incline Bench Press 6-8 3

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press or Flys 10-12 3

Dumbbell or Barbell rows

Abs

Wednesday

Squats Not Including Warm-ups 3-7 3-4

Deadlifts 3-5 3

Leg Curls or Stiff Leg Deadlift 8-10 3

Leg Extensions 8-10 3

Bicep Movement You Decide 10-15 3

Abs

Friday

Close Grip Bench Press Not Including Warm-ups 5-7 3

Overhead Press 3-5 3

Triceps Movement 8-10 3 (Skull crushers w/ez curl bar or Dumbbell Tricep ext)

Dips Max

Lateral Raises 10-12 3

Abs

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    My program

Day 1: Max effort deadlift with 2-3 accessory lifts

Day 2: Max effort bench with 3-4 accessory lifts

Day 3: Legs

Day 4: Shoulders - Max effort OHP and 3-4 accessory lifts

Day 5: Dynamic push/pull

Day 6: Arms

Day 7: Rest

I would definitely do the low rep stuff earlier in the week as it's here you'll want to build strength. I have put around 10kg on my bench press, 25kg on my squat and 50kg on my deadlift in 4 months doing this variation as opposed to a bodybuilding style workout.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    when you say max effort, what set x rep ranges are you talking? triples?

also, can you outline what you got for dynamic push/pull?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Max effort days is most often just ramping up to a couple of heavy singles and then backing down to 80-85% of that and then doing 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. But honestly max effort can be triples/doubles/singles depending on how beat you are.

Dynamic pull/push days: Deadlifts and bench press in a higher rep scheme (5-8) for more sets and then I move on to more bodybuilding type movements, which are often performed in antagonistic supersets.

Edit: case in point: Today was max effort deadlift. Worked my way up to 180kg for single - bombed 185 and then deloaded to 170x2, 160x3x2, 140x5x3 and then did squat stance deadlifts - 100kgx5 120x5 140x3. Went over and did seated cable rows for 5 sets of 12 and then close grip pulldowns 3 sets of 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnnvqFBEOU

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Did sets of 10 on squats today, then some high rack pulls cause I was fucking whipped. Conditioning is way too low, need to get better.

Anyway, @caligynefob do you normally pull sumo?

• Options
    Did sets of 10 on squats today, then some high rack pulls cause I was fucking whipped. Conditioning is way too low, need to get better.

Anyway, @caligynefob do you normally pull sumo?

If I pull directly from the floor I have too as my mobility doesn't allow for conventional. I'd rather pull conventional as they move smoother and faster. I'm working on bringing up my squat stance deadlift strength so I can get the best from both.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I used straps on my top set of deadlifts
    First time using straps

That helped

poo
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Only 8 days left of the pre-Christmas cut. We nearly there.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm a little bit tubby from PA christmas and not being able to lift properly for a month. Trying to resist the temptation to cut.

• Options
    I just put on non-jean pants for the first time in a long time cuz we have holiday party tonight and yeah.... all them squats…

My ass is too big

poo
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm a little bit tubby from PA christmas and not being able to lift properly for a month. Trying to resist the temptation to cut.

Don't do it Tube, it sucks!

• Options

Yeah! Embrace the tubbyness and go for a dirty bulk - then spend most of January being pissed about putting on weight, that's how it goes for me anyway.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I've been cutting sorta unintentionally, just not getting enough calories day to day since I started a new job. Down like 5 pounds over a couple months, which is cool except that I kinda want to get my act together and bulk more.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Yeah! Embrace the tubbyness and go for a dirty bulk - then spend most of January being pissed about putting on weight, that's how it goes for me anyway.

If I can embrace the tubbiness and keep on clean bulking hopefully the ratio of fat to muscle will improve enough that I won't mind. It's getting a little bit fatter and a little bit softer that adds up to a bad look, muscle returning should help.

• Options
    I've heard dudes that should know say that the best way to bulk (without outside help) is to gain a bunch however and then just try to maintain there and keep lifting hard or harder and that the ratio of fat to muscle will improve over time.

I'm going to go for some end of the year PRs and then do a for real 4 day per week Hepburn cycle to see if I can get some hypertrophy going.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I've heard dudes that should know say that the best way to bulk (without outside help) is to gain a bunch however and then just try to maintain there and keep lifting hard or harder and that the ratio of fat to muscle will improve over time.

I've heard and experienced this as well. Too many people immediately start dieting down after peaking their BW rather than reaping the strength gains from their new muscle mass. I've put ~100lbs on my total over the past six months with no change in bodyweight. Now I'm kind of excited to cut down to 163.

• Options
    I've pimped them before but not lately, the Iron Radio podcast has a lot of really good free information about nutrition from a group of experienced lifters who are all drug free and one is a doctor and nutrition professor so the science is all legit.

• Options
    I think my goal weight might be 155 or 160
    Which I'm getting close to

I'm okay not being hyooj

I'm 5'6" anyway

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you're 5'6" and a lean strong 160, you're gonna look pretty great anyway even if you don't have a shredded 6-pack.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Stop rollingggg, dumb deadlift plates! :(

Mahnmut on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Well, the alternative is to use the hexagonal plates and no one ever wants to use those on deadlifts.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What does peak BW mean

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Peak bodyweight. As in, the point at which you look down, let out a long breath and say "... hooooooo boy I have gone too far this time."

• Options
    Ever so slowly gaining OHP strength.

https://youtu.be/hr2HLBBgHEM

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Well yeah, if you're doing them sideways it's much easier.

:D

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Well yeah, if you're doing them sideways it's much easier.

:D

You are underestimating the core strength required to stand on a wall!

• Options
    Well, the alternative is to use the hexagonal plates and no one ever wants to use those on deadlifts.

Alas, those are the plates that are plaguing me. They're like ridiculously loose on the barbell, so they rotate in the air and then land funny.

• Options
    Hex plates are the devil. When I switched to a gym that had them I basically stopped pulling off the floor at all and pulled off of the lowest setting in the power cage because fuuuuuuck that.

• Options
    I got a nice little 8 point buck this morning, so I've got a surplus of chili, burger, and dried meats coming my way

Also cutting the back strap into steaks and probably fry up the tenders too

Yum yum

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I ate 5 chobani greek yogurts today

• Options
    Power dump tomorrow

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular