As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I just played MGSV until it started getting too grindy in equipment requirements for me to enjoy playing. Kojima's writing has been way way too loopy for ages for me to do more than appreciate the bombastic stuff like a dude proclaiming walking robots to be the future of mobile warfare... while you murder the shit out of the robot from a chopper.

Get it cheap and, if nothing else, enjoy the whacky stuff like extracting tanks with balloons or selecting who lives and who dies based entirely on whether or not you want them for your base.

I got 50-60 hours out of the game before I didn't feel like progressing any further (the mission types get fairly repetitive) and I got my fun out of it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I still haven't played MGSV and I'm hesitant to because I keep hearing all this business about how it doesn't have an ending. To what extent is that true?

It has an ending! It's tough to get into without spoilers, but there is a beginning, middle and end to the main story featured in the trailers n' such. There is a secondary storyline that is left unresolved and it kinda causes some gaping plotholes for the series as a whole, as it was supposed to be finished in a final mission that was cut from the game (you can see it in concept form on youtube)

I'd say the game feels incomplete, but what is there is satisfying. The underwhelming feeling is mainly from a feeling that this would be the final game that links the prequel n' sequel MGS games together, but it definitely does not achieve that. As it's own fun game, it is fantastic.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    What's sad to me is that if it didn't have the Metal Gear title on it, it looks like it would actually do okay as far as zombie games go. Just skimming through that video and my knowledge of currently released zombie-sims, it seems to me that Konami trying to hamfist it into the Metal Gear canon is the only non-starter.

Given the response to Days Gone, the zombie game showed off in Sony's E3 was literal anger That there was 'yet another zombie game', I don't think this game was ever gonna get a fair shake, MGS or not. That just sorta adds another target on it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    These soldiers become incapacitated when they're grabbed by a limb, like the female roles in 20th century movies.

Hey, Deep Down-stabbing.

Did fire always look like candy in this engine?

Portals remain much more jarring than generic idiot guard. The red portal-sound is bothering me.

The Clubber Lang-style mmomorpagus-melee is rough, though. Yeah, swing. Swing again. Swing again. Everybody stand still and swing.

What's sad to me is that if it didn't have the Metal Gear title on it, it looks like it would actually do okay as far as zombie games go. Just skimming through that video and my knowledge of currently released zombie-sims, it seems to me that Konami trying to hamfist it into the Metal Gear canon is the only non-starter.

How doesn't it work in the canon where there are ghosts and other clearly supernatural things?

edit: what I liked about the video was that it had a player go off to do who knows what, train a bunch of zombies onto their base and then they subsequently had to abandon it. (and naturally, he waves or w/e). because that's probably what playing the game would really be like. :P

Really the furthest out MGS goes is advanced nanotechnology, cybernetics, and some light things like ESP. The dead walking among the living isn't one of them.

Spooky ghosts.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Don't forget vampire guy. And a bee guy. Guys that can materialize guns into their hands, while working in a mist that turns everybody else into, well, I guess I can't actually use the "zed" word for that. Aaaaaand a guy being possessed by somebody else via their severed arm.

But zombies? Completely absurd.

Seriously, though, MGS is Kojima's thing and everybody knows it. Konami thinks they can get easy cash-ins off it by just slapping the name on a title, but in reality, that's going to continue backfiring on them because it will serve as a constant reminder of how shitty they are as a company.

The zombies thing really doesn't matter at all. Kojima could have done it, and it would have honestly been one of the less bizarro things his put in his games. I actually think it's pretty funny that Kojima scoffs at the idea, when it is clearly something he would jump on instantly if he thought it would work as some obscure metaphor or something.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    The thing is the more I think about it the concept could work with a few changes. Namely just use the Skulls. Done, you can have weaker bullet fodder and stronger variants not seen in 5. Toss the portal and just trap a squad in a hidden reasearch facility. You could actually do some cool lore tie ins that way.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I still haven't played MGSV and I'm hesitant to because I keep hearing all this business about how it doesn't have an ending. To what extent is that true?

It has an ending! It's tough to get into without spoilers, but there is a beginning, middle and end to the main story featured in the trailers n' such. There is a secondary storyline that is left unresolved and it kinda causes some gaping plotholes for the series as a whole, as it was supposed to be finished in a final mission that was cut from the game (you can see it in concept form on youtube)

I'd say the game feels incomplete, but what is there is satisfying. The underwhelming feeling is mainly from a feeling that this would be the final game that links the prequel n' sequel MGS games together, but it definitely does not achieve that. As it's own fun game, it is fantastic.

Hmm... Perhaps if I go into it with low expectations, I won't have any regrets when the credits role.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    It's less about expectations, and more about just playing the game to enjoy what is there. And there is plenty of fun to be had in MGSV, without expecting the story or writing to be particularly coherent or conclusive. You might enjoy the story and the gameplay, but even if you just enjoy the gameplay, you should still get plenty of enjoyment out of the game.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Personally I'd be surprised if survive actually backfired on Konami financially.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Personally I'd be surprised if survive actually backfired on Konami financially.

Well yeah, when you just shit something out made up mainly of pre-existing assets, it probably doesn't cost much.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Don't forget vampire guy. And a bee guy. Guys that can materialize guns into their hands, while working in a mist that turns everybody else into, well, I guess I can't actually use the "zed" word for that. Aaaaaand a guy being possessed by somebody else via their severed arm.

But zombies? Completely absurd.

Seriously, though, MGS is Kojima's thing and everybody knows it. Konami thinks they can get easy cash-ins off it by just slapping the name on a title, but in reality, that's going to continue backfiring on them because it will serve as a constant reminder of how shitty they are as a company.

The zombies thing really doesn't matter at all. Kojima could have done it, and it would have honestly been one of the less bizarro things his put in his games. I actually think it's pretty funny that Kojima scoffs at the idea, when it is clearly something he would jump on instantly if he thought it would work as some obscure metaphor or something.

I'm talking true zombies. And point being not that the crazy stuff is in the past game, but the setup in general seems very cut and paste from something like LFD.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    who's to say those aren't nanomachine zombies

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    They are strong, kind of dullwitted crystal-zambos covered in blackish grey minerals with glowing head-spots, in a resource-reuseathon.

Hmm.

PLA on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid V HAS zombies.

Doesn't matter if they're called Puppets, Infected (by parasite), or Skulls.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure this game would have been much better received if it had any other name on it.

But we're pretty much to the point that practically no third-party AAA developer will dare release anything not based on an existing IP.

It's just too bad that Konami has no other IP where zombies might seem a more natural fit.
    polygon.com/2016/9/18/12958442/metal-gear-survive-kojima-comments

So somebody asked Kojima what he thought about this turn of events. His response is... uh... hilarious.

"The Metal Gear games are about political fiction and espionage. Where do zombies fit in with that?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uYzaOIWmYU

Trick question, right?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Well, this certainly proves that they reused the world map of one game in a budget title spin-off of the very same game set in an alternate dimension or whatever with "zombies."

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My only issue with it is that there were a thousand different ways to make it more interesting than just having straight-up zombies, that probably didn't even need an alternate wormhole dimension to explain away the discrepancies in technology.

Like, I'm sure in spirit they'll match the flavour of older Metal Gear games, but at the base level Kojima probably just assumed they were doing The Walking Dead-type zombies and thought it didn't gel with the technology-focused bent of the series.

• Options
    The alternate wormhole dimension is a discrepancy.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    To be fair, the fact that wormholes exist in the actual game makes it a legitimate plot device if so desired, but in this case it's really just a narrative crutch, just as we all like to go "Nanomachines, son!" as a gentle ribbing to Kojima's convenient plot device of choice.

The main difference being ofc that nanomachines have been a story element of the series since the first MGS, whereas the wormholes are a gimmick end-game upgrade not really seen past MGSV

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    To be fair, the fact that wormholes exist in the actual game makes it a legitimate plot device if so desired, but in this case it's really just a narrative crutch, just as we all like to go "Nanomachines, son!" as a gentle ribbing to Kojima's convenient plot device of choice.

The main difference being ofc that nanomachines have been a story element of the series since the first MGS, whereas the wormholes are a gimmick end-game upgrade not really seen past MGSV

It's also done with a nod and a wink. "Yes guys, I know I used nanomachines alot, so here are the characters having some fun reactions with that." "Nanomachines son," was a hilarious moment for most long term MG fans.

This is arbitrarily picking Skullface's attack "somehow" sucking Motherbase into an alternate dimension with crystal zombies.

Make fun of Kojima's world if you want, but there is a TON of lore and optional codec dialogues, facts, and cutscnes that explain nearly every part of it. What's different here? It's a soulless handwave.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    And then for his grand opus, he again leaned heavily on that already hackneyed crutch. Which is honestly amazing, since he was writing in a time period where by all rights he shouldn't have been able, but he found a way. Honestly a hilariously cheap way, because he literally just renamed them to "parasites" and called it a day.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

Hmm... Perhaps if I go into it with low expectations, I won't have any regrets when the credits role.

Have negative story expectations

I'm probably one of the harshest critics of MGS V's story in these forums, but the game itself is freaking amazing

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Artistically speaking, I kind of feel like the left side (original) looks better. It has more color and is less cluttered, even if it is almost monochromatic. The right side looks washed out and has too much ugly, distractive stuff going on in the scenery despite actually using a larger palette. It just looks bland and dead.

Which may be a fitting palette for a zombie game, but not that pleasant to stare at.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    MGS V has amazing gameplay, an amazingly good world, great atmosphere and even though the story has several problems, I personally loved many different moments in it. There were many emotionally impacting scenes. I had many feels.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Artistically speaking, I kind of feel like the left side (original) looks better. It has more color and is less cluttered, even if it is almost monochromatic. The right side looks washed out and has too much ugly, distractive stuff going on in the scenery despite actually using a larger palette. It just looks bland and dead.

Which may be a fitting palette for a zombie game, but not that pleasant to stare at.

Doesn't MGS 5 have a weather system along with day/night cycles? The video in the right occurs just before "noon" while the other video is closer to 13:50. The right video is also overcast/cloudy/foggy while the other isn't.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    It sounds like the same issue when people were complaining about visual "downgrades" between initial announcement trailers and pre-release footage, which was confounded when they ran a demo with what appeared to be substantially different lighting - which could very well have also been a different time of day/slightly different weather effects

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    For some reason I picked up MGS5 despite never liking the story in these games. After a few days, I kinda still don't! Lot of characters just go on and on about...well, crazy ass conspiracy style monlogues, but the gameplay is fun. I do like piddling around shootin' people or shooting them into the sky on a balloon after giving them the binocular interview.

Right now my main concern is that the Africa map seems to suck, it's just a flat plain of marshy terrain with some annoying raised bits to force me to move in a certain way. Is there additional map space that I haven't seen so far?

The other thing I'm curious about is the FoB stuff. I get the impression that some of it is there just to drive microtransactions - insurance, really? We're going with that old scam? Can raids on your FoB fuck up your single player game? I'm not super interested in finding that my personal army and wealth in the single player game have been compromised by the odd online bit.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    MGSV is a great game, it filled in blanks and despite ending on whimper more than a bang it was the virtual rambo sim that I always wanted. Being different from the previous games was a great change of pace and I did feel like a boss.

Konami obviously are going to use fox engine and metal gear in any way they can to make more money and this is how they decided to do it. They will use a whole ton of assets and locations because it's going to be easier for them for maximum profit.

This is konami after all.

• Options
    I really thought it was a waste of time and effort for them to dredge up a controversy from a year ago. That he didn't even take the time to @ the Konami twitter account shows how low effort and manufactured the outrage is at this point.

Was it really even necessary to try and dredge it up here?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I really thought it was a waste of time and effort for them to dredge up a controversy from a year ago. That he didn't even take the time to @ the Konami twitter account shows how low effort and manufactured the outrage is at this point.

How long do you think it would take you to get over having your dream project abruptly ripped from your hands without rhyme or reason?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Bloodstained kickstarter ballooned to ten times what Iga was originally asking for so the thinking is sound; more angry anti-Konami gamers = more hype and preorders for Death Stranding.

• Options

How long do you think it would take you to get over having your dream project abruptly ripped from your hands without rhyme or reason?

Hey now.

Somebody had to warp long-running and beloved franchises into shitty pachinko games or whatever.

Those franchises weren't going to just fuck themselves over, after all.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Hey now.

Somebody had to warp long-running and beloved franchises into shitty pachinko games or whatever.

Those franchises weren't going to just fuck themselves over, after all.

Well...

• Options
    If you really want a sad chuckle, check out how great the pachinko is at remaking MGS3 cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiExhnYGxnA

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    If you really want a sad chuckle, check out how great the pachinko is at remaking MGS3 cutscenes

Ok I'll bite. Why exactly does a Pachinko machine need action sequences?

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

Ok I'll bite. Why exactly does a Pachinko machine need action sequences?

It's a super-common thing with gambling shit these days. Before video games, asshole gambling companies could just make pretty flashing lights and noises to kick off the psychological triggers that make people feel like "winners" for playing (like the classic slot machine). Now that the average person is exposed to so much more visual media and things that are actually games, gambling companies have to come up with more and more convoluted gambling machines to convince people they're doing anything but throwing money down a hole.

Basically, they get licenses for well-known IPs, then mash that theme into completely standard ripoff games of chance. I used to live in Reno and there's all sorts of stupid crap like this; I've seen machines with themes like Godzilla, Ghostbusters, Alien, and a million other properties, but it's all just a distraction to hide the fact that every machine is doing the same thing, i.e., convincing people to throw money away thinking they're winning something (but statistically almost never do).

• Options
    Yeah, it's a weird and interesting business for sure. Isn't pachinko still technically not considered to be gambling in Japan though?

And I guess the upside of them having to dig up teh pasts is that there hasn't been much that's happened with a narrative that can so easily be constructed into a good/bad guy framework this year. I mean, other than the stuff with NMS, CS Go gambling, 2016 gaming drama has been fairly tame. Without that bit there wasn't much to the show itself, I mean, trailers you can see at any time.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, it's a weird and interesting business for sure. Isn't pachinko still technically not considered to be gambling in Japan though?

They use highly convoluted methods (or in other words, bullshit) to get around national anti-gambling laws.

It's basically online fantasy football, but in Japan.

EDIT: My personal hatred aside, I should give credit to pachinko for one thing--producing (or more accurately commissioning) artwork for often long-departed video game/TV franchises that I've been missing, sometimes even of respectable quality. Yes, it sucks that artwork for Ghost Sweeper Mikami comes from the artist hired by a goddamn pachinko company, but at least it exists.

Synthesis on