As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] RIP Jo Cox

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    NathonFillonStrugglesToArticulate.gif

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He's still going on BBC News. people keep handing him shovels to see how deep he can get and Ken's not quitting until he reaches China.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    justspeakingeveryone'smind.jpg

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Well I guess if you're planning on getting suspended from your party, spewing out a bunch of Hitler-themed rants to any media organisation that'll listen will definitely do the job.

Bye, Ken.

• Options
    Yup, they've suspended him.

Amazing, just amazing. Precisely one day after Naz Shah apologises as gracefully and completely as she can and Labour desperately try and draw a line under things here comes Funky Ken and he's got THINGS TO SAY. He's supposed to be an experienced political operator. I can't remember anyone shooting themselves in the foot this badly since David Starkey on Question Time.

Well done, Ken. I'm sure that settled the question of whether Labour have a problem with anti-semitism.

• Options
    Suicide by Ethics Committee?

• Options
    Ken Livingstone is not a man much troubled by doubts. All the time he was talking he was probably thinking yeah this is reasonable this makes sense. And now he's been suspended he'll feel it inexplicable and unfair.

• Options
    You know it's the right thing to do when George Galloway says it's a mistake and warns the consequences will be 'grave'.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    You know it's the right thing to do when George Galloway says it's a mistake and warns the consequences will be 'grave'.

Is he threatening to go on CBB again?

That would make me think twice.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    How many politicians careers would be saved if they just had an app that took their tweet and sent it to someone who could look at it, spot the obvious outcome, and veto it before it went live?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    How many politicians careers would be saved if they just had an app that took their tweet and sent it to someone who could look at it, spot the obvious outcome, and veto it before it went live?

The Evil Overlord's Five Year Old is truly the most valuable resource.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Yup, they've suspended him.

Amazing, just amazing. Precisely one day after Naz Shah apologises as gracefully and completely as she can and Labour desperately try and draw a line under things here comes Funky Ken and he's got THINGS TO SAY. He's supposed to be an experienced political operator. I can't remember anyone shooting themselves in the foot this badly since David Starkey on Question Time.

Well done, Ken. I'm sure that settled the question of whether Labour have a problem with anti-semitism.

Sometimes I wonder how hard this politics racket could be? Show up, smile for the photographs, and if you have OPINIONS on Jews or black people keep them to your-fucking-self.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    For fuck's sake, Labour.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    For fuck's sake, Labour.

At least they didn't piss about with this. Ken saids the things and Ken gots the chops

• Options
    Not so fast, person with boundless optimism. It seems as though Corbyn also wants to suspend John Mann, the Labour MP who yelled at Ken after he said the stupid thing.

Mann may well have been grandstanding, but suspending the guy who yelled at the guy you just suspended makes it look very much like you're getting revenge on someone who shouted at your bessie mate Ken.

• Options
    Not so fast, person with boundless optimism. It seems as though Corbyn also wants to suspend John Mann, the Labour MP who yelled at Ken after he said the stupid thing.

Mann may well have been grandstanding, but suspending the guy who yelled at the guy you just suspended makes it look very much like you're getting revenge on someone who shouted at your bessie mate Ken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOiE0LCu6J0

• Options
    manrepeatedlyshootinghimselfinthefoot.gif

• Options
    SteelingMyselfForMelancholy.gif

• Options
    Hilariously, a twitter account that aggregates tweets MP's have deleted spat out a slew of old tweets Diane Abbott deleted today that support Ken Livingstone.

Unclean, unclean.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I'm just sitting here trying to figure out what possible chain of logic could lead someone to the idea the way to prove they're not anti-Semitic is to say in public that they preferred Hitler's earlier work, and I keep coming up empty.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    That Diane Abbott thing is hilarious.

"Shit! Ken's in the muck, better scrub my support of him from the internet..."

"Shit! People have clocked on to it...Better delete random tweets so it isn't obvious I'm having a 'Ken purge'..."

"Shit! They've clocked on to that as well...Shit!"

• Options
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

"Shit! People have clocked on to it...Better delete random tweets so it isn't obvious I'm having a 'Ken purge'..."

The Streisand effect hard at work.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

Funny, I think of it as the John Terry effect thanks to Charlie Brooker

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    This whole thing is a great illustration of why Armando Iannucci stopped making The Thick of It, there's just no need any more and anything he could come up with would be tame by comparison.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    He's probably going to liken the Labour executive to concentration guards next. He's such a card.

• Options

Funny, I think of it as the John Terry effect thanks to Charlie Brooker

I think Streisand did it first so she gets to own it.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    He's still going on BBC News. people keep handing him shovels to see how deep he can get and Ken's not quitting until he reaches China.

It's amazing how politicians can ignore the first law of holes.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'm just sitting here trying to figure out what possible chain of logic could lead someone to the idea the way to prove they're not anti-Semitic is to say in public that they preferred Hitler's earlier work, and I keep coming up empty.
    Shah retweeted an article contrasting Israel's totally disproportionate exchange of fatalities with Palestine - and the West's general quiet acceptance of these actions - to MLK's quote about "everything Hitler did was legal."

I'm not sure what point Ken was trying to make, but this is probably the starting point for the train of thought.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Watching a news report about it, Ken keeps going on about Hitler just wanting to deport Jews

Because uprooting millions of people is so benign. Intellectually I'm sure he didn't mean it like that but my God you really need to think before you talk these days.

Meanwhile in a report about an alliance between Dave Cameron and a trade unionist for Remain, Dave gets some tough questions about maybe the pre-deal rhetoric was less than sincere?

• Options
    Ken still getting a kicking in the papers, unsurprisingly. George Galloway is on his side, though, so that's good.

In slightly less depressing news, Naz Shah's full and frank apology seems to have been accepted by Jewish organisations as sincere. Ken is still unapologetic, of course. Shah is still suspended, but I imagine she'll be let back into the fold after a little while.

The best thing Ken could do is quietly retire, but I imagine his ego won't let him. He has allies at the very top of Labour, after all, who probably think they can bring him back after some time roaming Tuscany with a bodyguard.

• Options
    Yup, Ken's still claiming everything he said was true and there's no problem. Ultra hatstand.

• Options
    Yup, Ken's still claiming everything he said was true and there's no problem. Ultra hatstand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2nWiEO9T0

• Options
    It's something he should really take the time to unpack and see how it looks from outside his head

Though that's after the horse has somehow gotten out of the ever deepening hole and bolted

• Options
    If you're happy to dig your own grave, you may as well finish the job and bury yourself as well.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ken still getting a kicking in the papers, unsurprisingly. George Galloway is on his side, though, so that's good.

In slightly less depressing news, Naz Shah's full and frank apology seems to have been accepted by Jewish organisations as sincere. Ken is still unapologetic, of course. Shah is still suspended, but I imagine she'll be let back into the fold after a little while.

The best thing Ken could do is quietly retire, but I imagine his ego won't let him. He has allies at the very top of Labour, after all, who probably think they can bring him back after some time roaming Tuscany with a bodyguard.

He might want to be careful about them offering to do some fishing in a rowboat.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The only saving grace of Labour managing to pull anti-sematism scandal out of thin air is that at as far as I can see they at least haven't timed it perfectly to coincide with a huge Tory fuck and get that knocked off the front page.

This is where I'm at in my search for silver linings.

• Options
    It's knocked the NHS strike off the front pages, but I guess Labour didn't care about that because sure as shit Corbyn didn't bring it up at PMQ this week.

• Options
    First a doctors strike now a potential teacher strike looms on the horizon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36176846

All the Tories need now is to piss off the police, the fire service and some miners and they've got a Thatcherism full house.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    You could argue that steel is this administration's coal, which would get you another of the set.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    First a doctors strike now a potential teacher strike looms on the horizon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36176846

All the Tories need now is to piss off the police, the fire service and some miners and they've got a Thatcherism full house.

Thatcher sure as shit didn't piss off the police. Some of their worst excess came under her.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.