Options

[Hearthstone] Tavern Brawls and new heroes are here!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Okay, seriously, I don't give a shit what "I needed a gnome to post." says about aggro being a thing that exists in card games that some people have fun with so deal with it

if my early-midrange goddamn mech priest is dead on turn 5 to face hunter the deck is bullshit and is not benefiting the game with its existence

I can deal with aggro hunter but face is just so goddamn boring to play against and being dead by turn 5 is not fun

i don't really have any way of replying to this post that you're gonna be happy with, man

you took a deck that your goal was to hit rank 10 with against a deck that people hit legend with

now you're mad because your pile of cards lost against a tuned machine, and you're mad because unlike the other tuned machines you run up against face hunter is very clear and explicit about how it's beating you, whereas against a patron warrior you would feel a stronger sense of back and forth giving the illusion that your deck is standing a chance

i mean do i think it's a problem that there really isn't anywhere a dude can play his fun mech priest deck? yeah, i do. i think funneling everything into ranked is a recipe for frustration. but yeah i don't think it's a problem that a tuned aggro deck exists.

but coming here and calling out my personal opinions about aggro while claiming that blizzard should do so and so ain't doing you any favours man, you're worked up and gotta just step away for the evening or something. you can say blizzard has said how the game should be all you like, but until they make a change you gotta assume that things are working as they intend. and maybe the way they intend will ultimately be a game you don't have fun playing and that'll suck because it's always a huge bummer when you want to like a game but it becomes something not for you but anyway

i hope that you can cool off after that loss and come back to the game refreshed and having fun again

e: oh man i took out the @ but left in the quotes and it makes your quote look SUPER aggressive now, that's actually pretty funny

"this so-called 'gnome poster', i don't think he needs any gnomes at all!"

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    once in magic, in standard (the lowest-power format), i killed someone on turn 3 with my aggro deck

that was fun

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Just got into this game. Kicking myself for not getting in sooner now that I enjoy it so much. Played fifty straight ranked games the other day, after unlocking all the basic cards & opening a few booster packs. I feel terribly ill-equipped to deal with a lot of cards due to having such a limited card pool in ranked.

I've played Magic: The Gathering since 1994, so the transition was easy for me. I find myself watching & enjoying top streamers now on Twitch (since I can actually follow the game now, whereas before I didn't know how to play). I'm jealous of cards like Dr. Boom. Eventually, hopefully, I'll amass all the cards.

Sort of wish I would have been smart enough to read this thread before spending my accumulated golds on packs, so I would have known about unlocking the expansions via gold. That being said, I didn't pull a Savannah Highmane from one of the packs, so that has helped quite a lot.

I'll get more cards eventually & then be able to actually play what I want. :-)

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    once in magic, in standard (the lowest-power format), i killed someone on turn 3 with my aggro deck

that was fun

like yeah, maybe it was overkill to call you out in that post specifically, but it's this kind of stuff I don't get

like, you barely even played a game. how did you have fun? I know blah blah people have fun different ways but it just feels like I didn't even get a chance to play the game when this sort of stuff happens and it's just like why was I even here if this sort of stuff happens (we have a somewhat related house rule where a certain one of our friends isn't allowed to draft aggro red or play as ghengis khan in civ because as it turns out it's not fun for anyone else when he does that, and it sucks that we're just lopping off these strategies from him but the alternative is three people having a bad day instead of one person having a less-than-optimal one)

but sorry for calling you out, that wasn't right
    and of course the issue was none of the rest of the friend group drafts red so it totally makes sense for him for him to go into red but unless we let him do red/white defenders (or rather the card pool lets him, which it usually doesn't) then we end up getting hit by two copies of a burn spell that each costed 1 less than it should and each proc twice. conspiracy is weird

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

that was fun

like yeah, maybe it was overkill to call you out in that post specifically, but it's this kind of stuff I don't get

like, you barely even played a game. how did you have fun?

You could say that about any other deck relative to any slower deck. If we theorize that fun relates to making decisions and seeing the results of those decisions, aggro just accelerates the process and spreads the fun over a larger quantity of games.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    Okay, seriously, I don't give a shit what "I needed a gnome to post." says about aggro being a thing that exists in card games that some people have fun with so deal with it

if my early-midrange goddamn mech priest is dead on turn 5 to face hunter the deck is bullshit and is not benefiting the game with its existence

I can deal with aggro hunter but face is just so goddamn boring to play against and being dead by turn 5 is not fun

I haven't tried out Mech priest at all, but I did a Priest quest the other day with Lightbomb Priest and went 3-1 against Hunters, mostly face or hybrid. It seemed like a really bad matchup for Hunter. The one match I lost was where I had no playable minions until turn 5. I managed to drag it out a bit, but ultimately lost too much health in the early game.

Priest certainly isn't in a great place at the moment, but I think it has more to do with their matchup vs Combo Druid, Handlock, Patron Warrior, etc than Hunter.

Random side story about my adventures with Lightbomb Priest -- while I'm pretty sure the Handlock match up is bad, I took a Handlock to fatigue and beat him to death with his own Jaraxxus. Much to my annoyance, both Thoughtsteals were hiding towards the bottom of my deck. In fact I drew them both at the same time from a Northshire + Holy Nova play when he had exactly 2 cards left in his deck. I used one immediately and never got to use the other since he tapped on his turn. But I got Jaraxxus and some other irrelevant card, and I assume Jaraxxus was his last card since he probably would have played it instead of tapping. And that gave me the chance to play Jaraxxus first, giving me the first Inferno and plenty of cards left in my deck and a SW: Death and one Lightbomb still in hand if just in case something scary happens.

Total run with priest was 5-1, including those 4 matches against hunter.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

i don't really have any way of replying to this post that you're gonna be happy with, man

you took a deck that your goal was to hit rank 10 with against a deck that people hit legend with

now you're mad because your pile of cards lost against a tuned machine, and you're mad because unlike the other tuned machines you run up against face hunter is very clear and explicit about how it's beating you, whereas against a patron warrior you would feel a stronger sense of back and forth giving the illusion that your deck is standing a chance

i mean do i think it's a problem that there really isn't anywhere a dude can play his fun mech priest deck? yeah, i do. i think funneling everything into ranked is a recipe for frustration. but yeah i don't think it's a problem that a tuned aggro deck exists.

but coming here and calling out my personal opinions about aggro while claiming that blizzard should do so and so ain't doing you any favours man, you're worked up and gotta just step away for the evening or something. you can say blizzard has said how the game should be all you like, but until they make a change you gotta assume that things are working as they intend. and maybe the way they intend will ultimately be a game you don't have fun playing and that'll suck because it's always a huge bummer when you want to like a game but it becomes something not for you but anyway

i hope that you can cool off after that loss and come back to the game refreshed and having fun again

e: oh man i took out the @ but left in the quotes and it makes your quote look SUPER aggressive now, that's actually pretty funny

"this so-called 'gnome poster', i don't think he needs any gnomes at all!"

/stands over here continuing to clamour that keeping health totals at 30, in an attacker's prerogative game, while continuing to give aggro decks more and more tools is going to lead to trouble.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    What are the good deck counters to face and aggro? I'm seeing more of them than I've ever seen before at the moment.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options

that was fun

like, you barely even played a game. how did you have fun? I know blah blah people have fun different ways but it just feels like I didn't even get a chance to play the game when this sort of stuff happens and it's just like why was I even here if this sort of stuff happens (we have a somewhat related house rule where a certain one of our friends isn't allowed to draft aggro red or play as ghengis khan in civ because as it turns out it's not fun for anyone else when he does that, and it sucks that we're just lopping off these strategies from him but the alternative is three people having a bad day instead of one person having a less-than-optimal one)

and of course the issue was none of the rest of the friend group drafts red so it totally makes sense for him for him to go into red but unless we let him do red/white defenders (or rather the card pool lets him, which it usually doesn't) then we end up getting hit by two copies of a burn spell that each costed 1 less than it should and each proc twice. conspiracy is weird

i utilized intelligent sequencing to get around the ways my opponent would stunt aggression early, while capitalizing on a misplay that cost him life. it demonstrated mastery and skill with the deck i was playing, even if some players would just go "pfft red aggro, just turns dudes sideways and burns you out". every decision i made in that match was important, down to which creature i played first, and i was rewarded with victory

then we played two more matches and he made his deck better against mine, because magic has sideboards

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    What are the good deck counters to face and aggro? I'm seeing more of them than I've ever seen before at the moment.

Assuming you use aggro to actually mean aggro and not midrange decks that happen to have burst potential on crazy draws.

Face hunter: Freeze Mage, Lightbomb priest, control warrior, grim patron warrior.
    Aggro zoo: Ramp druid, freeze mage, lightbomb priest, handlock, grim patron warrior.

Now note that both face hunter and warlock zoo have spawned midrange variants (separate from the previously existing midrange hunter in that class's case) that are generally considered stronger than the aggro variants so you're going to see those in addition to the aggro decks and those can have different favorable/unfavorable matchups.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Priest is just plain broken. It's the only class that can't use its hero power on turn 2 in case of a bad draw. Couple that with bad early game class cards and you've got the slowest class by far. Other control decks have things to speed them up, like mad scientists or weapons. No real way to switch to aggro, so we're left with 2 ok decks that have terrible game lengths and some really bad matchups.

They need to make a shadow priest viable. 98% of WoW priests leveled up as shadow, give us an aggro build and we'll stop bitching about hunters.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I've just accepted that sometimes I get rolled by certain decks. There's a whole host of factors that can result in a T5/6 loss against an aggressive decks. Sometimes I never draw Consecration (there are 28 other cards in the deck after all). Sometimes I make bad plays. Sometimes they got a perfect or near-perfect draw and mine was only ok. There's enough variance in this game that it's going to happen. If I only played face Hunters and tempo Mages it'd probably be pretty annoying, but I see a pretty wide variety of decks in the R12-13 range so I'm ok with that.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    OK, so there's a cap on 100 Gold for the Win 3-in-a-row per day? Is that correct? So if you win 30 games (that's A LOT of games), you can get one Booster Pack per day? Assuming you already unlocked the "free" stuff early on, outside of Dailies is that all you can do to earn gold? Outside of just paying cash, of course. As a new player, it feels like a monumental climb starting out.

If you re-roll your 40 Gold Daily & get another 40 Gold Daily, you're just SOL for that day? I might be overlooking something obvious, so I'm just double-checking.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Coffey wrote: »
    OK, so there's a cap on 100 Gold for the Win 3-in-a-row per day? Is that correct? So if you win 30 games (that's A LOT of games), you can get one Booster Pack per day? Assuming you already unlocked the "free" stuff early on, outside of Dailies is that all you can do to earn gold? Outside of just paying cash, of course. As a new player, it feels like a monumental climb starting out.

If you re-roll your 40 Gold Daily & get another 40 Gold Daily, you're just SOL for that day? I might be overlooking something obvious, so I'm just double-checking.

100 Gold cap works like you described. You can earn more gold in arena (from 7 wins in you get at least 150 cash in addition to the pack and whatever else you get. From 5 wins on you get at least 50 gold so it's better than buying a pack.)

You can bank a daily and reroll it again the next day. But then you can't reroll that days daily, of course. You can have up to 3 dailies stored.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Note that the "win 3 for 10 gold" quest is NOT 3 in a row. It's just 3 at all. So if you go 30 wins 60 losses in a day you still get 100 gold out of it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Not to brag, but make sure you comb over the OP. It has all the tips and tricks to getting the most out of your gold/packs/quests. But yea, after a single daily quest, it's just 10 gold/3 wins. Unless you're hellbent on playing for free, most people would recommend just buying the Adventure Modes. It's up to you though.

The only other way to earn lots of gold is getting good at Arena. Unfortunately, that takes a lot of experience to pull of 7+ wins consistently. On the other hand, there are a lot of really good players here that would probably enjoy helping you draft and play an Arena round via spectator mode. Even if it isn't Arena, get people to spectate you and be open to advice on how to play. Makes a huge difference early on.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Priest is just plain broken. It's the only class that can't use its hero power on turn 2 in case of a bad draw. Couple that with bad early game class cards and you've got the slowest class by far. Other control decks have things to speed them up, like mad scientists or weapons. No real way to switch to aggro, so we're left with 2 ok decks that have terrible game lengths and some really bad matchups.

They need to make a shadow priest viable. 98% of WoW priests leveled up as shadow, give us an aggro build and we'll stop bitching about hunters.

Blizzard needs to integrate my priest card ideas! You could go Shadowbomber turn 1, Standard Bearer turn 2, Elven Archer + Dark Priestess (w/Shadowform) turn 3, into Hero Power + Trickster + Hero Power turn 4! Hero Power every turn after makes you a Steamweedle Sniper Hunter.

While not Hunter value, it's a lot better than what Priest can do now without losing tempo.
    Yes this was also a shameless plug to get more people's feedback on my cards. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Note that the "win 3 for 10 gold" quest is NOT 3 in a row. It's just 3 at all. So if you go 30 wins 60 losses in a day you still get 100 gold out of it.

Ah, yes, 90 games at around 10 minutes per game puts it at about 15 hours to gain 100 gold in one day. Certainly not a daunting task for newcomers.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »

Ah, yes, 90 games at around 10 minutes per game puts it at about 15 hours to gain 100 gold in one day. Certainly not a daunting task for newcomers.

Well, hopefully you'll do much better than a 33% win rate. And part of the reason you see so many people playing face hunter is because the games are fast. I know I personally played a lot of midrange mage early on, with games often lasting way too long... So I didn't go after the 3 win thing so much :P If you throw together a face hunter deck it's pretty cheap card wise and win or lose you'll be done a game in only a few minutes.

• Options
    The spectator Arena idea is genius. That's a good idea. Not that I think I'm terrible or anything, I understand card advantage, game theory, etc. As I said, I've played MtG for over 20 years & was qualified for the Pro Tour at one point, so I can grasp such a small, more defined metagame. My biggest hurdle is financial woes. I actually even have an abundance of time currently, so even that is not an issue. I had just read elsewhere that Arena wasn't great bang-for-your-buck for newer players. I did play my "free" Arena already, having no idea what it was. Appears it's just MtG Limited. Like a smaller Booster Draft. Granted I went 1-3 and had limited knowledge of the card pool when I initially tried it. I know more of the cards now, especially pertaining to individual heroes. Like, I won't get 4-for-1'd by a Warlock with Hellfire again. Like walking into a Wrath of God in MtG. Or Paladin Consecrate being a Pyroclasm.

That idea is really smart though. I'm a little embarrassed I hadn't thought of it! So thank you. :)

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Massively misplayed into an explosive trap (knew what it was, but could have left myself with some dudes) and while I was beating myself up, the Hunter misplayed even worse, failing to put me away.

Thanks for the win I tried to give up!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    This doesn't happen as often as it should. But when it does, man, that's some good shit.

25ZhG7J.png?1

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think I may be on to something!
    wyndg0rulvyr.png

It involves playing the stealthy shade that gets fatter every turn on turn three, and then the dragon that pulls a duplicate card out of its butt every turn.

In between you just keep killing everything, and then your opponents run out of cards when you're at three life.

I'm 5-1 at the moment (and the one game I lost I played a pair of cards horribly out of order and quite possibly cost myself the game), hopefully I beat my previous best of 6.

edit: nnnnnope, lost the next two games super quickly.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    edit: nnnnnope, lost the next two games super quickly.
    You fool, you don't post until after! RNGesus punishes cockiness.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    /stands over here continuing to clamour that keeping health totals at 30, in an attacker's prerogative game, while continuing to give aggro decks more and more tools is going to lead to trouble.

IIRC, before they invented The Coin, first player started with 25 life and second player started with 30. :P
    hippofant wrote: »
    i utilized intelligent sequencing to get around the ways my opponent would stunt aggression early, while capitalizing on a misplay that cost him life. it demonstrated mastery and skill with the deck i was playing, even if some players would just go "pfft red aggro, just turns dudes sideways and burns you out". every decision i made in that match was important, down to which creature i played first, and i was rewarded with victory

then we played two more matches and he made his deck better against mine, because magic has sideboards

I killed someone on turn 3 with an aggro green deck in MTG draft. (Triple Future Sight was weird.)

Apparently today's a good day to spectate me. Obersmith opened Golden Leeroy Jenkins, and Feral got Prophet Velen.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    CesareB wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    cpNosc0l.png
    Last card is Ysera. I've been playing this guy's legend deck, unsurprisingly, when a priest duplicates my dr boom, it is hard for him to win.

2 out of my last 3 games I've managed to convince the other guy to give me duplicate Nefarians. In one of them I was against a Priest and I swear by the end it was hard to tell who was the Priest and who was the Mage. I got lethal by Mind Controlling a PW:Shielded Auchenai Soulpriest then 2x Velen's Chosen into Inner Fire. Fun stuff.
    Unfortunately, in this deck and others, Nefarian is batting 0 saving me with a sacrificial pact. Nefarian pls.

I've been playing the same deck, Nef gave me two twisting nethers against a handlock the other day.

Was p cool killing three giants in one turn.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Twisting Nether is a pretty great card when you don't have to put it in your deck!

• Options
    My Warrior opponent got x2 Assassinates from Nefarian to stop my guaranteed lethal the following turn. :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

that was fun

To this: Aggro, regardless of which CCG you're playing, needs to very efficiently squeeze as much damage as possible out of what it starts the game with. While it may seem like an Aggro opponent is just kind of randomly going to face (as sometimes it is the case), as you get higher up in any sort of ranked play the Aggro player is going to be more and more efficient at using his damage. This is why most pro players include at least one or two aggro decks in their testing gauntlet as it helps set the standard for testing whatever deck they're working on (even if it's a "Control" metagame). It sucks for people who prefer to play more casual decks though. :razz:

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    I just died as a Control Warrior with like 30 health + armour to a 1 health mage with 4 Molten Giants to the face.

I answered the phone as he played a turn so I'm not even sure how he got to that point.

Damn near broke my iPad over my knee

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I just died as a Control Warrior with like 30 health + armour to a 1 health mage with 4 Molten Giants to the face.

I answered the phone as he played a turn so I'm not even sure how he got to that point.

Damn near broke my iPad over my knee

Drop two giants, Echo of medivh them, drop two more. Then use sunfury protector for bonus points.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    He got the bonus points

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Someone's very salty.

that was fun

To this: Aggro, regardless of which CCG you're playing, needs to very efficiently squeeze as much damage as possible out of what it starts the game with. While it may seem like an Aggro opponent is just kind of randomly going to face (as sometimes it is the case), as you get higher up in any sort of ranked play the Aggro player is going to be more and more efficient at using his damage. This is why most pro players include at least one or two aggro decks in their testing gauntlet as it helps set the standard for testing whatever deck they're working on (even if it's a "Control" metagame). It sucks for people who prefer to play more casual decks though. :razz:

To the last comment, I would add that aggro decks tend to be popular in CCGs because they are relatively inexpensive, since they don't requiere expensive creatures as finishers, for example, in this game, you will notice that most aggro decks don't need Legendaries.

Also, you know, ladder farming rewards the highest number of wins per hour, which ties to the highest volume of matches in a period of time, which encourages aggro decks. As it is, the ladder structure guarantees that one of the most popular decks on ladder will always be Face Hunter.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular

That's about right. There's a couple long term one-shot quests (i.e. 1000 wins) that get you a decent amount of gold, but that's it.

You can also get really good at arena and go infinite there, but the practice required to do so will take gold.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    CCGs are supposed to ask "how you want to win" rather than have a "how to win" metagame where someone has a win button. I've started quitting on all Face Hunters and Warriors on the spot.

Blizzard and either drop the nerf hammer, or more highly likely, sell powerful cards to the other classes next set and the cycle will start again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    CCGs are supposed to ask "how you want to win" rather than have a "how to win" metagame where someone has a win button. I've started quitting on all Face Hunters and Warriors on the spot.

Blizzard and either drop the nerf hammer, or more highly likely, sell powerful cards to the other classes next set and the cycle will start again.

face warrior isn't powerful

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

face warrior isn't powerful

While I don't agree with an immediate GG, I'm assuming he's talking about fighting against Patron or Control Warriors

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Face hunter is pretty beatable too. I don't think people should just quit games against them. I used to always lose against face Hunter, but I started to learn the matchup and it became much better for me. When I lose to them now it's usually because I made a mistake or I'm playing the wrong deck.

It's pretty important to understand how to deal with aggressive decks because they're always going to be part of the game. Even if Hunter is nerfed (and I doubt it will be), someone will find another all-in aggressive deck that does the same thing. Aggro needs to exist to keep people honest, otherwise this game really does become Pay to Win.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

that was fun

like, you barely even played a game. how did you have fun?

You could say that about any other deck relative to any slower deck. If we theorize that fun relates to making decisions and seeing the results of those decisions, aggro just accelerates the process and spreads the fun over a larger quantity of games.

I think the point he was trying to make was that in the early turns, often there are no real decisions being made. It is either something like heal self for 2 or play some creature to try and gain some board presence. If you don't play the creature, you will just get further behind. With hyper-efficient things like glaivezooka allowing minions to trade up if needed as well as often getting a 2 for 1 on its own, there is no point where playing against the face hunter really has any decisions that aren't just trying to stem the tide of life loss.

People that play those decks in magic are the people that other people don't even bother to play against in friendly games. They are the people with the 10k$ deck that kills 1st/2nd turn that after anyone sees once is like "ok, not playing with you anymore". It's like playing some deck that aggressively goes for game winning infinite combos while playing EDH. Of course everyone knows there are ways to do it, but people generally treat EDH as a yolo "lets see what crazy stuff can happen" sort of format where the goal is to have fun and do timmy/jonny type things and not necessarily to win.

I've been the spike before so I know the "have to win" mentality, but IRL you can see it on the other persons face that they aren't having fun and don't even want to be there, and when that happens multiple rounds/games in row, that person doesn't show up to the next weeks FNM. WoTC have in magic tried to remove things from the game that don't let the other person play. Land destruction either isn't made anymore or is incredibly inefficient, counterspells have had their mana costs increased as well as been generally made more inefficient, hand destruction cards are pretty bad compared to some of the older cards. The point is that not being able to engage in any meaningful way is detrimental to a game. In hearthstone you might be able to click some buttons, but against certain decks you basically have zero choice in what you are doing.

I've had games against face hunter where I just play out my curve and alt tab to read something else and only even engage with the game if made it to turn 6-7 with a health total that isn't in range of 2 burn spells and a hero power. My wife who only really does the dailies every few days was having trouble completing a mage daily because she isn't going to research the top decks or anything and so isn't that great at making decks. I put together mech mage and she got her wins fairly quickly. Later she said that she didn't like playing the deck because all it is is unloading the hand and fireballing the face. It was too autopilot in the way it won, just like playing against it is autopilot in how you lose.

• Options
    face hunter: the deck people hate so much, they will acquire a psychology degree so that they can tell the internet and the hearthstone thread what kind of person you are

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.