As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Origins Spoilers! Elf Tribal! Goblin Piledriver! Demonic "Vorthos All Star" Pact!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If people keep saying Chandrents I'm going to keep confusing them with the bad guys from the Rothfuss books.

Also they announced some changes to the way prizes and entry fees work on MTGO - more stuff on Play points that I don't know enough about economics to say whether it's good or bad.

It looks like it should be good, but it's tough to wrap my head around the consequences of creating a "circular" economy. (By which I mean, prizes are basically set up such that successful participation in a given event is just enabling you to play in that same event type.)

That said, I'm guessing that all of the Brazilian and European grinders are going to have to quit the game if they haven't already. The cost of redemption and the diminished distribution of tradable goods means there are few means to extract real-world currency from the game.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    it's better than "I cast dead kids," so there's that

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Pia and Kiran Nalaar is a mouthful.

I usually just say Mommy and Daddy Chandra, which is more words, but less effort

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I cast these people

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    If people keep saying Chandrents I'm going to keep confusing them with the bad guys from the Rothfuss books.

Also they announced some changes to the way prizes and entry fees work on MTGO - more stuff on Play points that I don't know enough about economics to say whether it's good or bad.

It looks like it should be good, but it's tough to wrap my head around the consequences of creating a "circular" economy. (By which I mean, prizes are basically set up such that successful participation in a given event is just enabling you to play in that same event type.)

That said, I'm guessing that all of the Brazilian and European grinders are going to have to quit the game if they haven't already. The cost of redemption and the diminished distribution of tradable goods means there are few means to extract real-world currency from the game.

Wait. What's all this? Do we not win packs anymore?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »

Wait. What's all this? Do we not win packs anymore?

magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/august-2015-constructed-event-changes-2015-07-20

TL;DR — You can win packs at the highest prize tiers, but you're mostly winning Play Points, which are an alternative event entry currency that cannot be traded. If they were tradable, each Play Point has a scaling valuation roughly equivalent to .08 tix.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    So the original origins turbofog list looks like it comes from an Ali Aintrazi article where he doesn't quite understand how days undoing works with sphinx's archive

So, are they a leftover from not understanding the ali brew or a useful buy more fogs plan

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    From what the deck showed on coverage, the Days Undoings were useful as a reset button when the fogger was running low on fogs. Yes it doesn't combo with the mill triggers, but that's not necessary for it to be useful. Exactly how useful is TBD.

Playing around with a hypegeometric calculator gives the probability of finding one or more fogs with Days Undoing. Assuming 5 lands in play and two other permanents (say, one tutelage and one dictate/siege), Days Undoing will find 1 or more fogs 70% of the time. And that doesn't count Aetherspouts as a hit, either.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I guess I need to see it work, but buying 1 or 2 more turns of life by severely resetting your clock doesn't seem super intuitive

It feels like that could be a different card that just sees them dead one or two turns sooner

Knob on
  • Options
    Yeah. The Days Undoings are essentially Fogs 9-12. I imagine if there were good Fogs 9-12 available, theyd be in instead.

• Options
    Knob wrote: »
    I guess I need to see it work, but buying 1 or 2 more turns of life by severely resetting your clock doesn't seem super intuitive

It feels like that could be a different card that just sees them dead one or two turns sooner

Except it doesnt work as 1 or 2 more turns. Since you are resetting the libraries but A) you've played out a bunch of lands and enchantments B ) you've delved away anythign that isn't a Fog once or twice with TC and C) you're drawing like 4 cards a turn. So EACH Days Undoing really is buying you like 7 more turns.

Plus with each iteration youve played more Tutelages and Sieges and Insights, so the mill time increases.

• Options
    Ain't there a 3 mana fog in origins

Apo, that explanation makes a lot more sense, thanks

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vine Snare only fogs small creatures (power 4 or less), so it 's probably too situational.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    197.jpg

i think this is the only other useful fog and it costs 3

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Say I started building this

Anyone want to give me a basic play primer? Do you save fogs for deadly emergencies or preserve life as much as you can and fog at every opportunity? What's the basic plan against hard control? Side fogs out?

• Options
    1. Save fogs for deadly emergencies.
    2. Side fogs out against creatureless decks.
    3. Pray your opponent doesn't have enchantment hate or burn in their sideboard.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    197.jpg

There's also Winds of Qal Sisma.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Orbs of Warding help solve the burn problem.

Enchantment hate, well...you're probably on your own there, but that's also what Negate is for I imagine

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    197.jpg

There's also Winds of Qal Sisma.

already in the deck

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Did not see that. Sorry.

• Options
    So orbs out or into sideboard depending on burn popularity. Archive out. Anticipates in.

Jace in as a 1 or 2 maybe?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Knob wrote: »
    So orbs out or into sideboard depending on burn popularity. Archive out. Anticipates in.

Jace in as a 1 or 2 maybe?

Eh. Jace is poor. Sure, the looting is nice early, but:

A) you already have a LOAD of card draw and selection thanks to Siege, Insight, etc.

B) he turns on all the removal in your opponents deck

C) his Planeswaker side is useless. Sure, his Ult is on theme BUT he'll be downfalled before you get there since you have no other targets for removal. And you have nothing to Flashback, since flashing back fogs does nothing.

As for Jace in the board, the only deck you could Concievably Ult him against is GR Monsters, since they have no way to interact with him that can't be Fogged. That sounds nice except you are ALREADY a massive favorite against that deck.

Edit: Kiora is a more interesting option. Particularly against Control. She adds different threat that they have to deal with and you have a ton of dead cards in that matchup anyway.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    I read a real long explanation about how Kiora sucked in Maze's End and she'll suck for the same reasons here

Only half the fogs cover her ass, too

This is from reddit though, so I dunno

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I can only imagine that Kiora was at least better in Maze's End than a mill deck since she got you extra land drops.

What about Ashiok?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    If only we had some kind of Maze's End expert in this very thread.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I can only imagine that Kiora was at least better in Maze's End than a mill deck since she got you extra land drops.

What about Ashiok?

ashiok is good in basically all decks that can fit them

• Options
    DEAR @WHIPPY WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Hi~

(Kiora was bad in mazes end)

• Options
    The only thing I like about Courser rotating is that Ashiok will no longer be able to steal and play my own Coursers.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I'm kind of bummed that I never got to play with kiora

I like her a lot but she never seemed to find a good home

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I'm kind of bummed that I never got to play with kiora

I like her a lot but she never seemed to find a good home

To be fair new Nissa is a much better UG Planeswalker.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I went to my shop for the first time since prerelease tonight. half the people on abzan.

that's it. I can't play abzan anymore. i played the red deck i still keep around just to hate them in my mind.

Time to do something weird. 11 mountain 4 magmatic insight sideboards were discussed tonight also

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i had a dream scab-clan berserker didn't need renown

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i had a dream scab-clan berserker didn't need renown

same only hierarch

• Options
    my dream's better

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    my dream's better

shame about all your posts though

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    my dream's better

A world where they printed a 1-mana 2/2 that taps for any mana and has vigilance is probably the worst timeline.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    my dream's better

shame about all your posts though

i have a pet dog

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    my dream's better