As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher Thread] HEARTS OF STONE xp out 13/10/15. Comes with 2 physical gwent decks

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    As a habit I roll through saving by overriding the bottom save each time, giving me ten saves or whatever to choose from in case I make a mistake in the story or get a glitch. I'm on console

I forgot that I do this automatically and came so damn close to overriding all my main game saves with new game plus saves. I intended for my new game plus to be radically different choice wise and want to keep my old game for the expansions

Damn that was close. Why did they not give you ten more seperate save files for new game plus? It always bugs me when rpg games limit how many saves you can make, as they're the one game type where you want the most separate saves in case of decisions/mistakes/glitches or wanting to revisit stuff

Prohass on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Interesting thing about NGP equipment.

For all non-witcher equipment the NGP version is exactly the same as normal except that it has better raw damage/armor stats.

For all Witcher armor the NGP version has between 1 and 5% bonus to each special bonus for armors(So Gryphon goes from 25% sign intensity to 30%, while Wolf goes from 10% sign, 10% adrenaline, and 10% bleed to 15% of each) and +2% to 8% resistances. (depending on rank and type). Additionally NGP Witcher armor will eventually gain a bonus slot at some point in the upgrade so you will gain 4 more Glyph slots.

For all Witcher Weapons the NGP version gains +5% to the secondary attribute. So Feline gains +5% Aard intensity. Ursine gains 5% crit damage. Gryphon gains 5% crit damage. Wolf however gains 1-5% of the core bonus just like the armors. Weapons go from 2 to 3, so you initially lose one slot but then regain it.

This has two effects on the game: 1) It may not be the case, if you're not too concerned about base damage, that the relevant witcher weapon is the best. They will have the best possible sign intensity/Adrenaline/- but won't have the best bleed/stagger/freeze/poison etc. Because the difference between the Witcher weapon and the specialty weapon is no longer quadruple or more damage it may make sense to hold onto relics you pick up if you like their bonuses.

The highest special effect weapons in the game work out to

Steel: (after runes)
    Bleed: (45%)Tor Tirchair Blade
    Burn: (27%) Tor Lara (also 2% Instant kill)
    Stagger (23%) Ultimatum
    Stun (25%) Forgotten Vran Sword
    Freeze (20%) Winter's Blade
    Poison (25%) Legendary Viper Steel Sword

Silver:
    Bleed (30%) Legendary Wolf -Mastercrafted / Legendary Feline Silver Sword [any with 3 slots]
    Burn(27%) Loathen
    Stagger (27%) Rose of Shaerrawed
    Stun (27%) Azure Wrath
    Freeze (35%) Tor Zireal (also 2% instant kill)
    Poison(33%) Anth

Instant Kill: 2% Tor Lara/TorZireal only weapons in the game with instant kill afaik.

Most interesting is that the level requirements of the Witcher school equipment are no longer the same. Wolf is 4 levels lower and so will have lower raw damage/raw armor.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Nice info man. Thanks for collating that.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Do you have to collect those treasure hunts specs again?

Oh i finished thw game last night, blasted through it in the last few days. Fun, story isnt as good as witcher 1 and it's final location is weird like they were following a paint by numbers hero journey bullshit without understanding it even though they did figure out how to make propulsive interesting quests, which was super weird to me. I got the good ending,
    ciri witchering
    looked up the other two endings and lol'd at people somehow getting the bad ending through bad parenting.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Yes. Unless you cheat. The game wipes all of your crafting recipes so you have to acquire all of that again. Recipes are the same though so it won't be hard to acquire what you need.

The game doesn't wipe and of your alchemy recipes and you keep your potions so there is that.

I finally completed the Alchemy quest to figure out about that. No new potion recipes so make sure to pick up anything you want on your first playthough (or edit it in, as some of the superior oils are random drops)

Arachas Decoction is now the best Decoction hands down. As far as i can tell, with it and the appropriate oil up, i am more or less invlunerable to monsters with enhanced wolf armor and would almost certainly be invulnerable with Ursine or Skellige

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Was just doing a treasure hunt and in a deserted camp I saw the weirdest horse. Took me a couple of minutes, but eventually I figured out it was actually three different-colored horses all standing in exactly the same place, but moving their heads differently, so occasionally you'd see this kind of three-headed Cerberus horse thing.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Was just doing a treasure hunt and in a deserted camp I saw the weirdest horse. Took me a couple of minutes, but eventually I figured out it was actually three different-colored horses all standing in exactly the same place, but moving their heads differently, so occasionally you'd see this kind of three-headed Cerberus horse thing.

11/10 would call Roach

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So the next main quest on my list is
    On Thin Ice
    , and I'm sitting at 110 exp away from level 34. I don't have any other quests on my list left, but I'd really like to hit the next level so I can craft Mastercrafted armor. Anyone know an easy way to get the exp?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    McHoger wrote: »
    So the next main quest on my list is
    On Thin Ice
    , and I'm sitting at 110 exp away from level 34. I don't have any other quests on my list left, but I'd really like to hit the next level so I can craft Mastercrafted armor. Anyone know an easy way to get the exp?

Prostitutes gives you exp.

That sure is a sentence huh....

If it doesn't work, don't look at me, I found out that one on the internet.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Figured it out, there's a level 30 cyclops on the east side of Skelege that was worth 60ish exp. Killed it a couple of times for the remaining exp.

• Options
    You could have also cleared an abandoned site

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So I got the Isle of Mists and the game advised I save.

I thought that meant I was near the end of the game but no I guess it just keeps going.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    There is quite a bit left to go.

• Options
    Yeah thats just one of the points where a bunch of quests can fail if you havent done them yet.

• Options
    Yeah it opens up again as well.

The game will make it clear when it is the real no turning back.

An npc will paraphrase "there ain't no coming back from this, make sure you've done everything you want to do" to your face.

It's unambiguous.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well, I finally finished the main plot.
    Got a pretty good ending, I think. Radovid took back the North and burned everyone, which sucked. I guess because I skipped a few quests pertaining to his assassination. Emhyr lost face in front of his domestic enemies and they eventually stabbed him in the back. Ciri decided to become a witcher and travel the Path with Geralt. Geralt eventually settled down with Triss.

I'm still not clear on the nature of the Wild Hunt though. They get referred to as spectral wraiths, but they're also elves?

Soooo... are they elves or wraiths? Wraith elves?

RT800 on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Got a pretty good ending, I think. Radovid took back the North and burned everyone, which sucked. I guess because I skipped a few quests pertaining to his assassination. Emhyr lost face in front of his domestic enemies and they eventually stabbed him in the back. Ciri decided to become a witcher and travel the Path with Geralt. Geralt eventually settled down with Triss.

I'm still not clear on the nature of the Wild Hunt though. They get referred to as spectral wraiths, but they're also elves?

its-magic-i-aint-gotta-explain-shit2.jpg

• Options

Not witcher book canon
    elves were originally one race that lived on their own world. They have to leave for some reason, race splits into An Elle and An shaed. An Elle still live on other worlds. Some of them became the wild hunt.

I'm witcher 1 they were still wraiths though. Them being elves was retconed in witcher 3

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

I believe the official consolidation between the three games at this point is that the Wraiths are just projections they use when they want to go on a big abduction(slaves) expedition into our world because it's easier to do than going there physically, which requires their Navigator and a great deal of effort just to move a small number of troops. Exception being when they have a lock on Ciri, because they know exactly where to go.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Not witcher book canon
    elves were originally one race that lived on their own world. They have to leave for some reason, race splits into An Elle and An shaed. An Elle still live on other worlds. Some of them became the wild hunt.

I'm witcher 1 they were still wraiths though. Them being elves was retconed in witcher 3

actually...
    it wasn't retconned. the wraith versions were the hunt who were just projecting themselves through the tiny gaps in the multiverse rather than crossing over fully so they would appear as ghosts/wraiths and not explained as much else due to geralt not having his full memory. he only got his memory back in 2 and that's when he remembered the books and them being dimension hopping space elves. and then they started to up their proper crossing over to chase down sources.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

They're elf Nazis. When the conjunction happened, they massacred their world's humans (lots of mass graves on their homeworld) and began scouring the neighboring dimensions for slaves. The Hunt is their raiding party.

Most of this took place in the books, which were written before the first game came out. So, its not a retcon so much as the first game kept them vague and mysterious for plot reasons.

The entire reason they want Ciri is that they have a limited ability to project themselves between worlds, and she can move armies if she desires. As their world is slowly dying, they've decided to conquer their neighbors and that power would come in very handy.

• Options
    Wasn't much of their motivation for leaving their realm the result of that crazy frost entity? Since Seri killed it, whoever was left had no reason or need to escape.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Wasn't much of their motivation for leaving their realm the result of that crazy frost entity? Since Seri killed it, whoever was left had no reason or need to escape.
    Yes, but...

That is definitely their motivation, but they are also genocidal elf conquerors ruled by the dude who killed their last king. No matter the circumstances, they'd be bad news if they had a way to wage multidimensional war.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    That's one of the things I hate most about the Witcher 3. You spend the entire game running away from the Wild Hunt, but it never seemed to explain why the fuck they actually want Ciri. They want her because of her power, but it never clearly states what they want to do with it. Or did I just miss that?

Jediabiwan on
  • Options
    Jediabiwan wrote: »
    That's one of the things I hate most about the Witcher 3. You spend the entire game running away from the Wild Hunt, but it never seemed to explain why the fuck they actually want Ciri. They want her because of her power, but it never clearly states what they want to do with it. Or did I just miss that?

Have you finished the game? It's pretty clear by the end why they wanted her.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    You probably missed it, it's explained on the Isle of Mists.

Transcript of scene in question
    Geralt: "What's Eredin after" What's he want from you?"
    Ciri: "What everyone wants - control of my powers. His homeworld faces annihilation. Eredin's decided to invade hours. Brilliant, wouldn't you say? Can't achieve much on his own, so he needs to bring an army. Except his navigators can't possibly move him and thousands of Aen Elle between planes. Their abilities won't allow it."
    Geralt: "Whereas yours will.."
    Ciri: "Exactly. And if I die in the process... well, that's a necessary sacrifice.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    So, all of these worlds you travel through. Are they supposed to be different earthlike planets or different parallel universe eaths?

• Options
    different planets/worlds which may or may not be earth like and may or may not have had earth like intelligence or intelligence of any kind on them. Avall'och makes that pretty clear in your convos with him during the trip

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It's implied in the books that the White Frost isn't an entity so much as just the orbit of the different planets decaying from their sun, thus getting colder and colder. It's a fuckin rad description of an oncoming icy apocalypse, but also doesn't much sense as to how Ciri stopped it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    It's implied in the books that the White Frost isn't an entity so much as just the orbit of the different planets decaying from their sun, thus getting colder and colder. It's a fuckin rad description of an oncoming icy apocalypse, but also doesn't much sense as to how Ciri stopped it.
    ~positive thinking~

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The implication is that the conjunction of the spheres might be what caused the orbital decay/axial tilt of the worlds that were impacted by it, but it's never otherwise explicitly stated anywhere what it is exactly - much to the detriment of the overall plot.
    Syngyne wrote: »
    ~positive thinking~
    uvTAlOn.png

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Yeah it's pretty weak.

• Options
    I don't think I've played a game where character's facial expressions have made such an impact as this game. Like I think back to scenes I enjoyed and a lot of them are just characters exchanging glances.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    I don't think I've played a game where character's facial expressions have made such an impact as this game. Like I think back to scenes I enjoyed and a lot of them are just characters exchanging glances.

Isle of Mists spoilers
    Geralt's face when he rolled over Ciri's body fucking killed me. That scene was so brilliant.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Yeah they did good with the facial expressions.

I went back and started playing Witcher 2 and they're all cardboard cutouts by comparison.

• Options
    MrMrMeMrMrMe Registered User regular
    The white frost
    I don't think you are supposed to understand what it was, you are, after all, merely a witcher. I think the planets that were suffering were "leaking" into other worlds, and as not every world is directly connected, it kills a world, finds a link, goes through, kills it off etc etc, eventually leading to them all going. I think Ciri closes the leaks, and as her power doesn't cause leaks she basically shut off a world and saved the multi-verse. Or I could totally be misreading it.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I finally beat this last night and - sadly - got the bad ending.
    I found that whole ending quite depressing, especially the shot of him sitting in the hut with all the monsters closing in. Besides being a broken man, which I never would have expected could happen to him, thinking of how the great Geralt of Rivia would be found dead at the hands of common bogglings was an unjust end to the legend.

I youtubed the other endings to make myself feel better.

vamen on
  • Options
    i didn't even know that ending could happen. It's fitting really
    after all. No witcher ever died from old age

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

Man, they should have put that quote in there one more time at that point. It would have been perfect.

• Options
    Kilroy_89Kilroy_89 I was hereRegistered User regular
    Even though I've felt kinda cheated there by the game giving me the 'bad' ending (had to google the triggers after that, I can't say i fully agree with how the ending determination works), I like this scenario very much. I think it was very atmospheric, with good dialog. I agree that it's fitting too. To the point I may consider it my 'canon'.

Of course that won't stop me from getting the other ones in NG+ eventually... 8-)

This discussion has been closed.