As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seattle by Night - A Vampire: The Masquerade [PbP]

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    @Delmain You arrive at the O.K. Hotel - a local favorite for grunge scene rockers and a favored hunting ground for Brujah and Gangrel. This is just fine with you, since those two clans tend to be the ones least likely to give you shit when you cross paths. Tonight, however, you seem to have the place mostly to yourself. There's no live act tonight, so the main stage is close but the bar is wide open. Temple of the Dog's 'Hunger Strike' is blaring over the speakers from the jukebox in the corner. At the far side of the bar the tender is joking around with a couple of stoners, while at the other end a young lady is trying to call him over to make an order. She is wearing red heels, fishnets and a match red miniskirt.

What do you do?

You could make an Appearance + Seduction or Subterfuge, maybe Empathy if your just trying to seem friendly, to gauge her initial reaction to you. Depending on your method of approach, of course.

@shdwcaster
    5. _xfangx_: not locals
    6. _xfangx_: heard they were Vatican
    7. _xfangx_: real inquisitor types

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Jack DeLuca

I drive back to my office and start burning up my phone, trying to not only figure out who to get ahold of but also how to ask "Hey, seen any vampire hunters lately?" without sounding like a lunatic.

Minion roll 3d10t7

Apparently, I'm the only night owl still up, as I can't get ahold of anyone low-level.

3d10t7 0 [3d10t7=5, 1, 4]

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Lizzy Hell

Lizzy left the Needle quickly. Her sire was nowhere near and the looks of the other vampires were more than she wanted to deal with. She heard them talking about her as she moved through the crowd. "Anarch Bitch, not worth the unlife in her body!" "Does she believe she's better than us?" "I heard she made the Prince look like a fool..." "Someone should show her sunlight." "That bitch is suicidal. And she's killed her sire with her stupidity." The music darted around her, making everyone's comments even worst. When the cold mist of Seattle's streets hit her face, the music finally began to sooth her.

Lizzy walked a bit before taking the bus to her apartment. The coldness of her home was unbearable, especially since for the first time since she became a vampire, the music wasn't there. Just the cold emptiness she felt. Lizzy could feel the tears starting in her eyes, the crimson vision that now filled her sight when she cried. "NO!!! NO!!!" was all she could say as she grabbed her coat and headed to the bar she worked at. She was off tonight, but the people wouldn't mind. Her off nights were normally spent there or writing, and without the music to guide her words she didn't feel like doing that. She needed a drink. Something strong. Maybe a fight. Lizzy felt like raising some Hell tonight.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Kris Pearson

I whistle to myself. Or, I try, anyway, except I forgot to breathe in first, so it's more of slightly stale puff of air coming out of pursed lips. Oh well.
    8. 1337Red: Figured Redmond would be too small for out of towners like that.
    9. 1337Red: Any idea how many or where they hang?

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Roland

Entering the bar is, as always, a bit painful on the ears. I'll never understand why the northwest has this love affair with "grunge" or whatever this noise is called. Gimme some Zeppelin any day of the week, this new crap is, well, crap.

I spy the little lady at the bar and the lack of pretty much anything else (except those stoners at the other end of the bar that wouldn't be able to put up a fight if they're lives depended on it) so resigned myself to no fun at this particular bar tonight. Feeding it is then, I thought to myself, luckily that's pretty much always an option.

Putting on the cheesiest "charm" face, I sidled up to the woman at the end of the bar.

"Well, what's a pretty little thing like you doing-" I start, intentionally waiting until her face starts to react, before dropping the act (and starting a new one...)

"Nah, I'm just fuckin' with you. I love the look, let me buy you a drink."

No target so I'll just roll 'em, but I figure I'm close enough to my domain to get the bonus towards feeding, maybe?

Geth, roll 5#1d10 for Appearance + Subterfuge

Appearance + Subterfuge:
    5#1d10 5 # 2 [1d10=2] 9 [1d10=9] 6 [1d10=6] 7 [1d10=7] 5 [1d10=5]

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Damien Thorn

I need to head to the Chantry and get some things established before tomorrow night. I look for Gordon to get the details and location.

I get the information and I head down the Needle and look for Catelyn's ghoul Edgar.

"You need to take me to the Chantry please," I say. You just never know what this one is thinking. Strong, fast, and seemingly not too bright, he was a quiet shadow to her comings and goings.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    @Delmain yeah sure, you can get your feeding bonus here.

@Nealneal Edgar opens the door for you closes it behind you as you takes a seat. Edgar is not well-known for being terribly verbose. Driving through Seattle, the city lights play against your face from the backseat. Past the University of Washington, down fraternity row, Edgar bring the car to a stop outside a now defunct fraternity, Omega Psi Phi. This particular Greek institution never quite got off the ground here in Seattle - Clan Tremere, however, have made quite good use of their failed investment. Most locals believe that the location was bought out by Free Masons and the clan has encouraged such thoughts among mortals. As you pull up to the curb and Edgar lets you out, you feel the excitement buzz so much you think for a moment your heart beats.

Two great oaks flank the concrete walkaway to the pateo, shading the path from the light of the moon. The two stories are painted entirely white and you can see that upstairs the windows are blacked out. Stepping up to the front door, you reach out to grip the ornate bronze doorknob and then turn. The inside is exactly as you would expect - dark hardwood floor with dark wood panels. There doesn't appear to be much of anyone here tonight. You suspect they are back at the Space Needle for Elysium. A couple of ghouls are tending to cleaning and maintenance as you step in past the threshold.

What do you do?

@shdwcaster
    10. nah
    11. just what i heard
    12. come by Palmers East if u wanna now moar

And your mysterious contact disconnects from the server.

What do you do?

@Grunt's Ghosts You arrive at Tim's Tavern on 105th, a former divehole turn bar and grill. You see that Jason is working the bar tonight, though that's probably not so great since it seems like a slow night. Mid-week is always the worst for tips, even if the regulars are always generous enough. He's tending to two clients, one mulleted man nursing a what you assume is a beer while at the other end is young lady (maybe too young to be in here?) with frazzled, poorly-dyed purple hair, an army jacket, and way too much pancake makeup working on a strawberry daiquiri. Meanwhile three booths are occupied by clientelle sucking down greasy fried oysters and shrimp.

What do you do?

@dresdenphile Well, that's not entirely true. You see, you didn't roll any successes and you rolled a 1. Which means you botched. So I have to figure out how to fuck with you now. Any suggestions?

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    @Mikey CTS I...don't know; I've never botched a Contacts roll before. Hmm...maybe I called one of my contacts so many times, the noise woke his newborn up, so he's pissed at me for the indefinite future?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @dresdenphile I like it; I may or may not use it. Let's start with the name of your contact and what their position is. I'll move forward from there.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    @Mikey CTS One thing to bear in mind is that the roll I made is for just rustling the bushes for my network of minor contacts, not the "major" ones defined by the rating in the Contacts background.

In addition to your major contacts, you also have a number of minor contacts spread throughout the city. Your major contact might be in the district attorney’s office, while your minor contacts might include beat cops, DMV clerks, club bouncers, or members of an online social network. You don’t need to detail these various “passing acquaintances” before play. Instead, to successfully get in touch with a minor contact, you should roll your Contacts rating (difficulty 7). You can reach one minor contact for each success. Of course, you still have to convince them to give you the information you need, assuming they can get it.

If we need to name him, let's call him Benny Parker, and he's a beat cop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Kris Pearson

Well, at least my mystery contact wanted to meet in public. Just to be on the safe side, I left a note for Elianna with my destination, and a quick explanation of why.

Then I tucked my Glock onto a shoulder holster under my motorcycle jacket, and went downstairs to fire up the Duc.

• Options
    I know we were planning on moving on to Redmond today, do we want to push that back a bit or continue with these mini-scenes? I'm fine either way.

And Mikey, my roll doesn't change for the domain bonus, it just lowers the difficulty by one. My roll should still be good, you just didn't give me a target. Then again, I rolled a 9 and I had a -1 to difficulty so unless I was getting a penalty I think I'm good on that front.

• Options
    @Delmain Push back. We'll get there when we get there. I don't want to rush scenes at the expense of pacing. Plus its my own damn fault for forgetting my laptop power cable over the long weekend.

@dresdenphile Yes I am aware of the rules, thank you, I just thought you might want a little agency. I'll remember you rather I just handle it in future.

• Options
    Okay then, take that a seduction roll.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    @Delmain She thanks you and points you to her booth were her friend sits. That's a bit of a complication but sometimes the challenge is worthwhile. Atthe booth sits another woman who also appears to have not quite made the transition to the new decade. It's odd. You expect more flannel and less hairspray these nights. She invites you back to the booth, smacking some gum in her mouth as the server puts up her drinks. Taking a seat and joining in whatever vapid conversation their having with each other, you put your practiced skills to work. As time wears down you've had a few more drinks brought over. Even pretended to enjoy a screwdrivers or two. It's a masquerade you've become pretty adept at. It was difficult to force yourself to learn the young woman you meet at the bar was named Britnie.

As closing time draws near, you feel the barrier begin to rise as Britnie's friend starts to insist they leave together. You can see that the hooks are in, though. Britnie appears to quite torn on the decision - her drunken state impairing her judgement. But you can see that she's leaning towards the caution.

What do you do?

@dresdenphile Hoping to "shake-up" whatever you can "break-loose," you've been wandering near the Fremont Bridge area. You heard that this was Benny's beat tonight and that jerk owes you a favor. You can hear a harbour bell ring off somewhere in the distance as the night chill plankets Seattle. You find yourself in a particularly dark corner, then hear the telltale click of a hammer snap back and immediately freeze in your tracks. Turning around you see a young man, his complexion a palid and splotchy. He is unwashed and disheveled. He also appears to be very much unweight. Likely one of those unfortunate heroine junkies you hear congregate near here. He has a revolver pointed at you in a shakey grip.

"G-give me your wallet," he stammers, clearly frightened and desperate. "I'll mess you up, man!"

What do you do?

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Does The Eyes of the Serpent immobilize the victim, as in "you're now a statue" or "you can't pick up your feet from your current location, but you can still shoot a gun, blow a bubble, touch your toes, etc."?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It's not literal paralysis, more like hypnosis. You can't issue any orders or anything, but as long as you maintain eye contact he won't act.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Jack DeLuca

Jeez. I do not need this.

I turn around, hands in the air. "No need to get worked up, pal. We'll do things the easy way, I don't want any trouble."

As soon as I make eye-contact with this punk, I open my eyes wide and let the serpent out.

Activating The Eyes of the Serpent.

@Mikey CTS: If I want to disarm him, would that be a Dex + Brawl roll, or does the use of that Discipline make such a roll unnecessary?[/b]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    He is unresponsive so yes I would say that the roll is unnecessary. A roll only becomes necessary when you break eye contact or do something truly aggressive.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Roland

Oh, the poor girl...

I don't even bat an eye as I begin to lay on the I'm just around the corner, you don't need to worry!'s, and the We're just going to chill out a bit, there's no problem's, and the your friend is fine and she can make her own decisions's. Girls like this have a set of buttons and manipulating them is something I've been doing for longer than I've been dead. She wants to hear (and think she believes) that her friend is going to be fine, even though we both know, deep down, that that's not true.

Geth, roll 7#1d10 for Manipulation + Subterfuge

I have a Manipulation specialty in "Well-Reasoned" and Roland is pushing the matter that way.

Also, I'm fine with short-circuiting conversations like this, with any important bits pulled out and actually roleplayed specifically. Is that what you were going for here?

E: So, uh, with the specialty I believe that is 6 successes? I'm not going to roll another success for like, 3 weeks

Manipulation + Subterfuge:
    7#1d10 7 # 10 [1d10=10] 8 [1d10=8] 8 [1d10=8] 3 [1d10=3] 10 [1d10=10] 9 [1d10=9] 3 [1d10=3]

Delmain on
  • Options
    Sweet jesus! That poor girl never saw it coming.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, yes, that is exactly what I was going for.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Jack DeLuca

Keeping my eyes locked with his, I pluck the revolver out of junkie's hand. "These things are dangerous. Of course, there are much more dangerous things than guns out here, buddy."

Minion roll 8d10h7 for Perception + Alertness to make sure there aren't any witnesses when I eat this fool.

I can see, hear, taste, touch, and smell through time, apparently.

Perception + Alertness to make sure there aren't any witnesses when I eat this fool:
    8d10h7 7 [8d10h7=9, [10, 10, 4], 9, 7, 4, 6, 9, 9]

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    wait, I forgot, on a ten with a specialty, do I still explode? Reroll 10s and count them as a bonus success as well? If so I need to roll two more dice...

4, [10, 10, 10, 3], 8 = 7 successes or 4? (or 3, I suppose, if you don't explode at all though that doesn't make a ton of sense)

E: NOT THAT IT MATTERS =P

Just for future reference, it's never happened to me before

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, I figured out how we can do rolls where we don't know the difficulty (because Mikey would be hiding it and checking for success himself, for example)

Geth, roll 20d10h1 for Test

This way, the hit count is completely useless, it just tells us the total number of dice rolled, but at least the list afterwards has every roll laid out and Mikey can go through manually and count the successes.

Also, WTG dresdenphile for that double explode, =P

E: fuckin' naturally, 20 dice and no 10s..... THE IDEA STANDS

Test:
    20d10h1 20 [20d10h1=1, 2, 2, 8, 3, 9, 6, 3, 4, 9, 5, 5, 2, 7, 9, 8, 6, 3, 5, 4]

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Damien Thorn

This place is great!

I look around the foyer and see my ghoul, Jason, sweeping the next room. I walk over and say, "Jason, I've been given a task to perform by the Prince. I need my pistol, my knife, and a small bag of saw dust. Also, I'll need you to drive me to meet my new friends tomorrow night."

I pause a moment to consider my next steps. I need to establish myself here first, what would Catelyn expect me to do?

"Thank you Jason, that'll be all for now." I call out to one of the other ghouls, "You there, ghoul, my name is Damien and I've been given probational access and membership to this Chantry. Where should I settle in and what tomes might I have access to at this time?"

So sorry for taking so long to respond. Today went from "going to be a boring day" to "Holy shitballs!" around 8:30am.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Lizzy Hell

Jason gives Lizzy a nod as she takes a place close to the purple-haired girl. "So what mask do you try to wear? A rebel with wild hair? If you are looking for trouble then I would suggest different places. I find here is one for those of plain faces."

My internet is going to be spotty until Thursday.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @dresdenphile You are certain beyond a doubt that there is not a soul around to witness whatever horrible fate you deem for this junkie.

@Delmain Britnie bites her lip and swirls the ice at the bottom of her glass.

"I dunno... I gotta work tomorrow night. And I don't want [insert girl-you-don't-care-about's name] to have to walk home alone," she sighs.

This is strictly RP at this point. You aced the roll. She will be sticking around unless you do something awful... which is always a possibility.

@Nealneal "Of course, Master Thorn," Jason replies. "You're things will arrive any minute, at which time I'll retrieve them for you."

The other ghoul's eye quirks at your demand. This particular ghoul is a tall statuesque figure - lean with a blonde curly mop and clean-shaven. "Hmm," he ponders. "You must be the i- ... Catelyn's childre. You'll find your room upstairs and to the right, at the end of the hall. The book collection is downstairs in a climate controlled room. You'll know precisely what you do not have access to, as those books are all in the sealed vault."

He immedaitely turns away and returns to what task he was busy with before.

@shdwcaster You arrive at Palmers East, a joint that appears to have been literally dropped here on cinder blocks and left behind. The Budweiser and Coors Light signs flicker and buzz so loudly you can hear them from outside. The interior appears to be nearly as dark as the exterior, from what you can see through dirty windows. The outside panelling could use some major repair work. Yet, somehow, there does appear to be a handful of patrons inside with the bartender, who is filtered through an red overhead and scattered Christmas lights.

@Grunt's Ghosts The young lady picks up her drink and stands up.

"God," she groans with an eye roll. "What's your damage? Get away from me, freak."

Slurping on her frozen fruity beverage, she heads to a darkened booth in the back corner.

What do you do?

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Damien Thorn

uggghhh...stupid ghoul...just tell me what I want to know without all the attitude.

"Thank you very much. And your name is?"

Once he responds I nod and then head down to the book collection.

I'm hoping to start learning a new ritual or two. I know I won't learn them before tomorow or anything, but I can't say "Hey, I've totally been studying that ritual all along!" if I don't let you know.

• Options
    Roland

"Aww, that's sweet of you," I start, drawing another smile from Britnie. "She won't have to walk home alone, we can all walk together. If you're that worried for her, I should be, too, it's only fair. Let's walk her to her apartment, then we can take a nice stroll. I know a beautiful place at night where you can see the moon through an archway if you time it right and it's just amazing."

Oh god, kill me (again) now, I thought to myself, forcing a smile. It's worth it for the blood, it's worth it for the blood, it's worth it for the blood...

Hmm, second thought, if they fall for this, I'll know where the friend is for later, if I want.

• Options
    @Mikey CTS What sort of roll, if any, do I need to make to feed from this guy (just to top myself off, not to hurt the guy)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kris Pearson

I parked the Duc out of sight, around the corner from the bar. She didn’t really fit in well with the pair of Harleys out front, and it occurred to me that maybe, if I was going to be visiting establishments like this in the future, another bike might be in order.

As I walked inside, the smells of cigarettes, stale beer, and warm bodies combined into an almost physical presence. Alabama’s ”Born Country” plays out of the jukebox in the corner. I can feel the eyes of a few locals glaring at me as I make my way to the bar. I either just stuck my head in a trap, or found a local dive-bar that probably hates M$ douchebags. The barkeep raises his eyebrows at me, but doesn’t bother to put down the glass he’s drying with a bar rag that’s also seen too many uses and too few washes.

“Jack, neat.” I put my left hand on the bar with my money underneath. As the barkeep slides the glass in front of me, I add “And you wouldn’t happen to know anyone goes by the nick ‘xfangx’ would you?” I slide my hand to the side a bit, to show a bit of Mr. Jackson’s face.

• Options
    Ah yes, the old "Identify a person in a biker bar by their internet handle"

A classic. =P

I anxiously await the result.

• Options
    Well, given that my other opening was "So, heard anything about guys from way out of town coming through here?" I figured I'd try with the random internet handle first.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    @dresdenphile You can take two blood from a vessel without causing permanent damage. You can tap the keg about three blood per combat round. Once you get to about four or five blood drained, dependent on the victim health, you're risking hospitalization. If your blood pool is low, you may need to make a Self-control roll to keep yourself from draining too much. Only mortals with incredible will (Willpower 9+) can resist the Kiss.

I'm going to rule in this case you won't need to make a bite roll. You can switch from the eye contact to the Kiss without missing much of a beat. Or, you know, bite the wrist and still maintain eye contact. However you wanna roll, I guess. Tell me your current blood pool before you start tapping that keg.

@Delmain "Well, okay," Britnie replies sheepishly.

Stepping out to Alaska Way, you, Britnie and what's-her-name take a stroll inland through the calm night air. You get your first taste of the coming cool weather as a nippy breeze comes in from Pier 48. Shame. It gets more difficult to hunt around Seattle as the weather cools. As you leave what's-her-name at the Pioneer Building on First Avenue, Britnie gives you a bashful smile.

"So, what now? We gonna check out that place you were talking about?"

@Nealneal The ghoul informs you that his name is Arin and you make your way into the basement. Down here is a modest library of about twenty shelves, including a smaller quarantined zone sealed by plexiglass, and beyond that a sealed vault. A Kindred approaches you, wearing white gloves and spectacles.

"Good evening," he introduces himself, kneeling and offering his hand to you. "I am Isaiah Cohen. I am the curator for this Chantry."

You could make an Empathy check if you so desire.

@shdwcaster The woman behind the bar appears to be a pretty rough customer. She's the type of women you would expect to find behind the wheel of a big rig - thick, stocky, and full of nasty attitude. Her eyes narrow at you as the turn over the tabacco tucked under her bottom lip. "Wha's that?" she nearly snarls. "Some kinda fairie nickname? Boys 'round here don't like poofs."

You see a few eyes around the bar have turned on to you, angrily awaiting your response.

What do you do?

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Geth roll 1d10

Edit: I'll take 2 from this dude, via the wrist to maintain eye-contact, so that should put me at 6 for the evening (5 to start - 1 from waking up + 2 from the junkie)

1d10 5 [1d10=5]

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    That's about half your pool... I'm gonna need a DC 7 Conscience roll to not give into your baser urges.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Geth roll 3d10t7 for Conscience

Grim as hell

Conscience:
    3d10t7 0 [3d10t7=5, 6, 6]

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Roland

"Yeah, let's go, it's only a few blocks from here," I say through a plastered-on smile. As we begin walking, I slowly move closer to her, ostensibly to protect her from the cold, but really to get her used to the closeness.

As we near Main Street Park, I guide her through the park, darkness gathering around the trees where the street lights are blocked. I hug her closer as we near the darkness, faking a protective move. "Almost there," I breathe. I stop under one of the trees, pointing over Britnie's shoulder down an alley.

"Oh no," I exlaim in fake despair, "We're a bit early. The moon should be coming through any minute. If you want to wait, I'm sure we could... find something to occupy the time?"

Assuming she continues falling for the dumbest lines Roland can come up with, I'm going to go for the neck as soon as she's willing to play around. I plan on pulling the safe 2 blood points and then walking her back to her apartment while she's in her Kiss-high.

So it's 1d10 for the character's starting bloodpool right? Does the increased bloodpool from Generation come into play at all or do I just start at a lower percentage of my bloodpool from having a higher capacity? I am at work and on a loaner laptop so I can't check anything from here.

Geth, roll 1d10

1d10 8 [1d10=8]

• Options
    edited July 2015
    @dresdenphile You hold your gaze to his and draw him in closer, a loook of abject horror on the junkie's face. You take his wrist to your mouth and bite, with a satisfying crunch as your fangs peirce his skin and flesh. You drink hungrily as you see the effects of the Kiss take hold. The horror awash on his visage replaced with euphoria. As the hot, sanguine fuilds splash against the back of your throat, you feel your own pleasure and passion rise. You should stop. But you feel the Beast in your heart surge as you drink your victim. You've gone too long without feeding and the Beast is starved. Just a little more the voice in your head tells you. Just a little bit more. You clench your eyes shut as you drill your fangs deeper into his flesh; suck harder on the essence of his life. You only stop when you feel a great weight rip his wrist from your gaping, blood-soaked mouth. The man has collapse. He has fallen unconscious as his wrist continues to bleed out into the gutter. His breathing is ragged and paniced, his heart struggling to keep a beat. You nearly killed this man, and he may still yet die if he does not receive medical attention.

What do you do?

You gain 4 blood points, btw.

Mikey CTS on