Options

[Android] Thread v.2015: Google tries to hardware. Effort: A+. Grade score: C-

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Are there any good (honestly they can be kind of shitty, I really don't care) camera apps that don't show up on the lock screen (or can turn that off)? I actually had a reason to take a photo just now, and reenabling the built-in app and then disabling it when I was done was a pain.
    This might not be a standard feature, but have you checked the lock screen settings on your phone? Mine lets me hide the camera shortcut.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Are there any good (honestly they can be kind of shitty, I really don't care) camera apps that don't show up on the lock screen (or can turn that off)? I actually had a reason to take a photo just now, and reenabling the built-in app and then disabling it when I was done was a pain.
    This might not be a standard feature, but have you checked the lock screen settings on your phone? Mine lets me hide the camera shortcut.

Nothing like that, unfortunately.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    you can try a lockscreen replacement that does let you choose app shortcuts to the camera of your choice.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    you can try a lockscreen replacement that does let you choose app shortcuts to the camera of your choice.

Maybe, but then that passes the ball to needing to know a lockscreen replacement that allows me to just use no camera shortcut at all even if I have a camera app installed.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hm... Has anyone seen this issue where Do Not Disturb mode won't turn itself off? I thought it was related to automatic rules, but after manually turning it on for 15 minutes it didn't turn off.

Really odd and pretty annoying...

工事中
  • Options
    Hmm, there are lockscreen replacements available that let the camera shortcut be set to any app, which could actually be useful if I set the shortcut to the alarm clock or something. The problem is that the vanilla lockscreen is actually pretty good, and appears to be superior to anything else that I've seen. In particular, complex permanent notifications (weather, every appointment in the next few days) don't seem to be handled in the cases that I've seen.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I had a small scare with my 6P last night. Plugged it in before bed, went to go take care of some stuff and came back to clear notifications and noticed the lock screen didn't show it charging. Checked the charger, swapped around the usb c cable, made sure everything is seated right and it still didn't go off. In a last ditch effort I restarted the phone, and after that the phone correctly showed that it was charging. WTF.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    This is a very US centric thing, and I'm not in the US, so maybe it gets more traction there, but honestly I really don't like the idea of Amazon modifying android phones to put lock screen ads on them in conjunction with a reduced price.

They seem to be doing it by working with the phone manufacturers so at least they aren't randomly hacking phones, likely Moto/Blu load custom firmware on these devices at the factory, but I really don't like it.

and yes, I know they do that on kindles and their fire devices, but I'd personally pay a bit more to not have the ads.

http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon-offers-decent-discounts-android-phones-come-loaded-ads

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oh Jesus. Seems like a way they can squeeze an extra ~$30 out of us for stupid adware. This is just a bad precedent. Not that I tend to buy my Androids through Amazon anyway, but this will make me wary of buying any through them or recommending others do so.

I could see this being a boon to small manufacturers like BLU, but it just adds more places sticking their fingers into things; which means when there's an issue, there's another company that can be blamed instead of the company you're talking with.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, but you can usually just root then put a non-add firmware on it. its worked like that for every fire device

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    yea, but you can usually just root then put a non-add firmware on it. its worked like that for every fire device

Unless Samsung gives them permission to do it in which case good luck. If you cant root the not-Amazon version of the phone I'd be very surprised if you could root the Amazon version of the phone.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

Unless Samsung gives them permission to do it in which case good luck. If you cant root the not-Amazon version of the phone I'd be very surprised if you could root the Amazon version of the phone.

I dont' see Samsung ever going for a partnership like this. They don't need it. I'm kind of surprised Lenovo/Moto went for it with the G4. It does seem well tailored to the smaller less known phone makers who just make cheaper unlocked phones.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So my Note 4 is doing an obnoxious thing now where it's kind of half-rebooting itself? It only does this on Bluetooth, and the only reason I can tell are that the sound doesn't stop, but gets staticy for about 15 seconds. The phone screen won't turn on for about 30 seconds after, but the audio still plays. Then once the screen turns on, it says that the phone is rebooted and I need to enter my password rather than fingerprint.

I guess it is time for that factory reset. :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    So I just got a refund for my Xperia Z3 Compact (headphone jack kept failling - jack was replaced 3 times, unit replaced once, then that one failed too), but I'm way out of the loop on current phones.

Besides the jack, I really liked the Z3, but I don't have a lot of confidence in Sony anymore. I've kinda accepted that I'm unlikely to get something as small, but I definitely don't want something ginormous, and really don't need super crazy specs so I'd like to keep the price reasonable (like I said, I was happy with the Z3).

I was looking at the Nexus 5X, but the lack of microSD slot is kind of a deal breaker. Similar for the Galaxy S6. Any other suggestions around that price point (or cheaper)?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    moto g4 comes out in a couple days. looks pretty snazzy. also has a micro sd slot

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    LG G4 - no relation - has been good to me and has a card slot. It's got v6 but it's older now, so the Moto may be a better choice.

• Options
    what is the budget? the Moto G4 line is the current best bet in the $250ish range, were the OnePlus3 is one of the best phones you can buy right now on any level, and is only $400. I know you said microSD but the oneplus 3 has 64GB of built in storage, which imo should be enough for all but the most extreme of cases. I'd tak 64GB built in over 16GB and a microSD slot any day.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    what is the budget? the Moto G4 line is the current best bet in the $250ish range, were the OnePlus3 is one of the best phones you can buy right now on any level, and is only $400. I know you said microSD but the oneplus 3 has 64GB of built in storage, which imo should be enough for all but the most extreme of cases. I'd tak 64GB built in over 16GB and a microSD slot any day.

My Turbo2 is 64gb with an sd slot. I've never bothered w the sd.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Sorry for dropping that question then never coming back. I ended up actually picking up a Nexus 5X, even though the lack of extensible storage is a concern. Mostly because a local store was selling them at 30% off for $500 (for context, a Galaxy S7 non-Edge is $1200 in local currency). Pretty happy with it all up. It's especially nice to have an Android phone that isn't just crammed with garbage proprietary apps.

exis on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Well we have our fingers crossed but my Nexus 6 may have been sacrificed today to pull my 3yo out of a pool (and he was totally okay. Maybe underwater for 2 seconds. And he wanted to go back in the water after). On the plus side, I'm happy to know that my first instinct isn't to worry about my phone which was in my pocket and just jump right in so I have that going for me. Now I have it sitting in a ziploc bag full of rice but is there anything else I can do to improve my odds of saving it?

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Well we have our fingers crossed but my Nexus 6 may have been sacrificed today to pull my 3yo out of a pool (and he was totally okay. Maybe underwater for 2 seconds. And he wanted to go back in the water after). On the plus side, I'm happy to know that my first instinct isn't to worry about my phone which was in my pocket and just jump right in so I have that going for me. Now I have it sitting in a ziploc bag full of rice but is there anything else I can do to improve my odds of saving it?

There's really nothing you can do. Even leaving it in a bag of rice won't make a *ton* of difference. Just don't try to turn it on for about 3 days. It will either tun on or it won't. and even then test everything. it might turn on but the mic might be fried, or the speaker, etc.

• Options

There's really nothing you can do. Even leaving it in a bag of rice won't make a *ton* of difference. Just don't try to turn it on for about 3 days. It will either tun on or it won't. and even then test everything. it might turn on but the mic might be fried, or the speaker, etc.

Is it still under warranty/insurance?

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Is it still under warranty/insurance?

I don't think so. I got it last June off eBay. I'm not sure how I would find out.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    you won't have any kind of insurance unless you bought it and insurance from a carrier.

and any device warranty will be void because of water damage.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I was thinking about getting an unlocked phone. Does this seem legit and would it work if I used Cricket as a carrier?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge-Unlocked/dp/B01D1J91BU/ref=sr_1_11?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1469042628&sr=1-11&keywords=galaxy+s7+edge

• Options
    If you're going to pay that much, don't get an international version with no warranty...

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    If you're going to pay that much, don't get an international version with no warranty...

This. If you live in the US get one from the US with a US warranty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Installed the Android N DP5 on my Nexus. Doesn't seem that different beyond the notification shade changes and janky split-screen.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    tsmvengy wrote: »

This. If you live in the US get one from the US with a US warranty.

I decided to go with the much cheaper Moto G4 Plus. It is also from the US. I went with the 4GB of ram. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZJFWNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a weird deal where you can take $50 off the phone if you convert that $50 to a gift card. Works great if you shop from Amazon allot anyway.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Sadly it looks as though my Nexus 6 is not coming back to life. I tried to meet up with a guy to buy his old Nexus 6 but we somehow missed each other and now he's mad at me. So it goes. I was perfectly happy with my Nexus 6 and I still have the case for it but I'm looking to buy a replacement phone outright. My short list is a Nexus 5x, Nexus 6p (if I can find one for cheap for some reason), a Nexus 6 or a Oneplus 3. Am I missing any? Are there any deals in Canada that I can get? I'm wishing I could sign up for Fi and get a Nexus 5x for $200 but they won't let me do it with a Canadian billing address (I think that's how they know where I am)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    imo the 5X is the best cheap android phone you can buy today. The OnePlus 3 is the best android phone for the money, and the 6p is the best stock android experience.

If I couldn't spring for a 6P i'd probably buy a oneplus 3 myself. especially with how much high end unlocked phones currently cost in Canada.

• Options
    Does One plus have a decent track record for OS updates?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Does One plus have a decent track record for OS updates?

They have not in the past, which is a concern. My gut tells me that it will be slightly better with the OnePlus 3.

the One litearlly switched from cynaogen to an in house OS mid way through it's lifecycle, which obviously screwed things up for that phone

The Two was doomed by the company's split focus on the OnePlus X, which proved they aren't big/mature enough to do two phones at a time. They've said that they're only going to focus building one device at a time for the forseeable future.

the Three should, in theory be unencumbered by this stuff. Obviously only time will tell.

• Options
    Further investigation indicates I might be able to get on a corporate plan that gets me a Nexus 6P for a good price. Sadly the oneplus 3 is out because there is a 2 mont waiting list. Another option I saw on the corporate plans is the Note 5 which I don't know anything about. Is that on par with the s6 or s7? How does the note 5 compare to the N6P?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    the note 5 is 8 days away from being replaced. The Note 7 will be announced next tuesday. I wouldn't buy it at this point.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Further investigation indicates I might be able to get on a corporate plan that gets me a Nexus 6P for a good price. Sadly the oneplus 3 is out because there is a 2 mont waiting list. Another option I saw on the corporate plans is the Note 5 which I don't know anything about. Is that on par with the s6 or s7? How does the note 5 compare to the N6P?

The Note 5 is from a bit before the N6P. I wouldn't get one at this point.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What happened to the Note 6? Number skip to keep it in line with the S Series?

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    What happened to the Note 6? Number skip to keep it in line with the S Series?

yep. It's always been "one behind" the S line, looks like this year they're deciding to make it match.

• Options

I'd go with a N6P, despite my minor issues with it its a solid phone

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    My contract is running out soon and I'm considering just paying it out and upgrading my Nexus 5. I'm heavily leaning to the 6P as I'm not certain I can go back to non stock Android. I'm just a tad bit hesitant that I'll grab the 6P and a week later Google will release the next Nexus.

What are peoples feelings on the longevity of the 6P?

In the last few months I've started to feel like my Nexus 5 is showing it's age but all things considered that's not bad for a 2013 phone. Bleh, I guess I'm just looking for opinions on the 6P and other phones in it's tier.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
This discussion has been closed.